Chapter 11.

That One Blinding Moment
Please log in to read the full chapter

A Little Step To Your Heart

 

That was the scariest, the most excruciating event that ever happened to me.

 

The fear was numbing. It rooted me on my seat and I couldn’t even feel my hands nor my legs. All I could feel at that time was the wild beating of my heart, banging my ribcage so hard it was suffocating me.

The car had stopped, almost crushing a big tree in front of us. If it wasn’t because the perfect skill that the driver had, our condition would definitely got so much worst from the colliding with the big tree.

The tears had pooled on the rim of my eyes, threatening to fall.

 

 

I was almost dead.

 

 

When the realization hit me, I brought my trembling hand in front of my sight. It was as pale as a sheet, knuckles hurt from gripping the handle so hard. A pair of hands suddenly came into my sight, grabbing mine. It was as cold as my hands, but excluded a comfort from its bigger size. Engulfing my smaller ones, the owner pulled my hands as well as my thought to my left side. When a pair of soft brown eyes looked in mine, the overwhelming feeling that I put on a hold spilled like a waterfall in a form of tears.

 

 

“Taeyeon…”

“Ji- Jiy- Jiyong…”

 

 

Before I could say anything else, he engulfed my body in a warm, comforting hug. My tears were wetting his front shirt. Then the trembling started moving from my hands to my entire form. In no time, my body was shaking violently inside his embrace. I was like a helpless little child, clinging onto his body for help and warmth. I could felt Jiyong clenching his jaw before pulling me even closer. Within this proximity, I could feel Jiyong’s heart beat literally on my cheek, surprisingly beating in the exact same speed like mine.

The rain was still pouring, though not as heavy as before. But the rumbling sound of thunders and the falling ground was still there, making me flinch uncomfortably. As if sensing my distress, Jiyong’s hand moved, my shoulder in a soothing way. I couldn’t fathom the sensation that swept through me when he did that. It felt like the nerves in every inch of my skin tingle then burnt under his touch. When the tremble started to make its way towards my heart, I had closed my eyes.

 

 

Because I might not get the second chance to be this close to him.

 

 

I didn’t know how much time fly because it felt like it had stood still. Peeked through my lashes, the rain had stopped while our surrounding started to darken. I moved a little to see our surrounding better. Jiyong’s hand loosened, giving me more room to move. I turned my head to the front window. It was all dark and quiet. The only sound was the pitter-patter of the rain against the car’s body. Clearing his throat, Jiyong released our tangled body before cupped my cheek with his hand. My eyes went back to the soft brown of his eyes.

 

And I melted all over again.

 

“Are you hurt?” Jiyong asked. His voice laced in utter concern, taking me aback. I shook my head. First to help me clear my clouded mind affected by his soft voice and second to answer his question. “Good, we need to get out of here. Come on.”

 

He straightened his posture. One hand reached for his small bag on the back seat and the other one reached for my blazer. Jiyong gaze went back to my blank one, smiling softly before his hand moved to wipe a single tear that unconsciously escaped from the rim of my eyes. The circumstance we were at that time was never less scary than before. Dark woods covered with mud, clueless with what will greet us inside. The nescience was bugging me, triggering my vulnerable self to resurface. It was embarrassing, breaking down in front of him for the second time. But I couldn’t help it.

 

Now sobbing, I asked him, “Are we going to be okay, Jiyong?”

“I’ll make sure it will be okay. Please…” He cupped my cheeks, “Please be strong for a little longer, okay?”

 

His eyes was convincing, silently begging me to comply with his order. “I need you to be fine, so I won’t let anything happen to us. We’ll get through this, trust me.” Now his forehead was touching mine, minty breath caresses my face.

 

 

I need you to be fine

I need you to be fine

I need you to be fine

 

 

“Okay.”

 

He smiled upon hearing my answer and reached my blazer and put it on me. I searched for my phone inside my bag, praying hard for the network to work.

But no. Luck wasn’t really on my side.

 

 

“Use the phone as the flashlight, Taeyeon.” Jiyong shouted from outside the car.

 

Opened the door on my right, I stepped out onto the mud. I almost slipped out, but thankfully quick enough to reach the still opened door to regain my balance. I thanked the highest power that I had chosen to wear flat shoes this morning.

 

“Are you alright?” Jiyong walked slowly to my direction, holding out his hand for me to reach.

“I’m alright.” I grabbed onto his arm and flashed him a small smile.

“Good.” He glanced toward the road direction. It was unrecognizable. The mud had covered our entrance, making it impossible to go back to the main road. Jiyong had his phone’s flashlight and pointed the light toward my phone. “Turn on yours, Taeyeon.”

I nodded, not sure whether he saw it or not, and turned the flashlight on. “Done.”

He gave me that assuring smile once again before reached for my hand, intertwining it. “It’s quarter to six. Let’s go before the night and rain come again.”

I nodded again, following his careful steps through the slippery mud. I tried to concentrate to my step but it had been so difficult with the unusual warmth that wrapped around my hand. Jiyong’s hand was bigger than mine. It had rough manly texture but still soft to touch. His hold was firm yet still delicate enough to not hurting my hand.

 

 

Jiyong was, after all st

Please log in to read the full chapter