Chapter 14.

That One Blinding Moment
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Here I give you a little fun

PATHETIC

 

I was dumbfounded.

Though I had tried to not to.

 

 

When I opened my eyes in the morning, Jiyong was nowhere to be found. The bed side was empty alongside with his belongings. His shoes wasn’t even in the shoes rack. I fell silence once Jooyeon ahjumma told me that Jiyong had departed earlier this morning. He told her that he had to leave for an urgent matter. Jiyong asked her to not waking me up, stating that I needed much more rest to reduce my shock state.

 

I couldn’t even chose whether it was a genuine thought or a made up one. 

Had he ditched me? Even after what we shared last night?

 

I chuckled dryly at my own thought. What exactly you’d shared with him, Taeyeon?

 

 

To say that I didn’t have any hope toward us this morning should be a total lie.

I had witnessed the vulnerable state of Kwon Jiyong, the soft spot he had towards his dead Grandfather and little sister. Beyond his cold and rock hard surface, there was an innocent ten years old boy soul who was helpless and deeply traumatized.

 

I still remembered how his body trembled inside my embrace.

I still remembered how empty his eyes were the first time my gaze fell onto those beautiful orbs.

I still remembered how the cold of his skin contrasting against my warm one.

 

 

And after the warmth we had shared last night, I was expecting a crack on the heavily-built wall around his heart.

Only a crack, because I had warned myself to not put my hope too high. But figured out later that even a crack was already too much for him.

As I tried to convinced myself that his depart didn’t do any damage to my heart, it was actually did. The flying butterflies that I had felt last night inside my stomach were dead. There was a shallow feeling inside my chest that I couldn’t explain. And a little, just a little part of me was missing his raw persona.

 

Kwon Jiyong was fascinating. And the worst? He had fascinated me.

What even worst? Here I was, pathetically thinking that I could finally see his heart.

Figured out it was just merely an imagination.

 

I felt shameful.

 

 

When I was inside the bathroom I could heard a faint sound of Seolhyun’s voice, Monsant’s General Manager. That got me thinking. How could she know my location?

 

“Miss Taeyeon.” She greeted me as soon as I walked to the living room. Her pretty face was remorseful.

“Seolhyun-sshi.” I greeted back, “How could you know my where about?”

“Mr. Kwon Jiyong rang me earlier this morning. He briefly told me about your condition last night.” Her eyes were glassy, “I’m terribly sorry, Miss Taeyeon.”

I smiled a little, “Nah, that’s alright Seolhyun-sshi. I’m fine already.”

“I had asked the General Affair Manager about your car. I even oversaw its maintenance schedule and it was only three days ago. It reported all of the car components were fine. Including the GPS.”

 

Seolhyun’s last words almost made me raising my eyebrows.

 

“GPS?” I asked innocently.

“Yes. Mr. Kwon Jiyong told me the car’s GPS didn’t function well yesterday. That had misguided your way to a more dangerous road.”

“My gosh, I didn’t know.” I feigned an innocent, “Jiyong hadn’t told me anything. He left in a hurry.”

“I’m sure there must be something wrong that made him depart in a rush, Miss Taeyeon.” I saw how Seolhyun tried to comfort me by using her words. Even she had found my condition pathetic.

So I started to pretend, “Well, I don’t mind actually. Being here is more enjoyable. I’m glad he didn’t drag me out with him in my sleepy state. I could envisioned myself stumbling in between Jiyong’s hurry steps.” I shrugged my shoulder carelessly.

 

Seolhyun laughed, either from hearing my words or seeing my face expression. Whichever it was, I had hoped she bought it.

 

And seeing her stood in front of me while laughing genuinely, had made me miss my Jessica.

I missed her sassiness, her sharp words, her scrutinizing gaze, her pleasant scent, her embrace, her soothing voice, her understanding… I missed her dearly.

Suddenly, my chest tightening in a somewhat hurting feeling and all I wanted to do was curling up on her comfy sofa, probably crying to took out the unidentified hollowness I felt inside.

 

You shall not cry in front of Seolhyun, Taeyeon. You shall not let her see your vulnerability. I chanted that words repeatedly inside my head.

 

So, chocking back an imaginary lump inside my throat, holding back a single teardrop that already on the brim of my eye, I found myself smiling at the younger lady in front of me.

“Well, let me take my bag first and bid my goodbye to Jooyeon Ahjumma. After that we’ll head back to Monsant.” I said, “And Seolhyun-sshi, I believe I still have plenty of time for us to grab a cup of coffee before I go home to Seoul?”

 

 

God, why do I have to come back to that place? I thought sadly.

 

 

Oblivious to my inner turmoil, Seolhyun nodded at my words while smiling. “Of course, Miss Taeyeon. The pleasure is all mine.”

 

 

~***~

 

CURIOUS

 

“What did take you so long?” I frowned to the panted girl in front of me.

“My professor was being a pain in the for conducting a quiz just ten minutes before his period ends.” She grabbed my smoothies and drank it in one big gulp. “So please spare me, because I had ran all the way from subway station. Thank you very much for your consideration, unnie.”

“You could text me, silly.” I knocked her forehead lightly.

“I was too engrossed in running so I won’t be late for our movie date.”

 

 

I chuckled at the younger girl in front of me. Face flushed red, hair disheveled from the running, body slumped on a sofa in front of me.

 

 

“It’s already late, dear little cousin. The movie had started twenty minutes ago.” I watched in amusement as she choked on my smoothies.

“Jinjja?” Her eyes got bigger, “I thought it starts at 2.45 p.m.?”

“Actually, it’s 2.25 p.m.”

“. I’m so sorry unnie.”

“Kim Yerim, language.” I warned him playfully, “And you can accompany me as an apology.”

“Oh, you’re going somewhere?”

I shook my head at her question. “One of my fellow office mate want to meet me for a talk. So I told him to meet me here.”

“Why the hell he didn’t wait until you’re present in the office?”

“Well, I should have been in the office right now.” she threw me a suspicious gaze, “And if your gaze meant to asks me whether I had ditched my work or not, then the answer is a yes.”

Yeri grinned, “You’re so witty, unnie.” I rolled my eyes at her answer. “I don’t know adult is still doing such a student’s rebellion.”

“I had just arrived from a tough business journey yesterday. I think I deserve today’s day off.” I glared playfully at her, “Just shut up, sit still and look pretty. If I’m kind enough, I’ll set you up with this guy. He’s cute.”

Yeri faked a gasp, “Omo, you’re too nice. I beg for your kindness unnie, please set me up with him, please.”

“Mind your attitude then, Kim Yerim.” I knocked her forehead once again. “Oh, there he is!” I waved my hand at the certain man behind Yeri. He waved back at me before walking to our direction.

 

 

Yeri was busy making her order to the waiter hence she didn’t look back towards the man’s direction. But when the said man stood beside our table and their eyes met, she once again choked on my smoothies, eyes went bigger in horror. The said man was no difference. Although it happened in a flash, I could saw his already round eyes slightly turned larger upon acknowledging her.

 

“Well, I take it that you already know each other. Jungkook? Yeri?” I asked curiously.

“Of course we know each other.” Jungkook was first to respond. “She was my junior in college.” It seemed that his bemusement had quickly turned into amusement with a ghosting smirk on his lips.

Yeri snorted, “He wasn’t. Just happened to know him from my colleague, that’s all.” Then shrugged her shoulder.

“Just happened to know me? Really, Yerimie?”

 

The way Jungkook called Yeri with her special nickname had gained my interest on him. Yeri seemed to catch my expression too, because she immediately shot me her warning glare.

 

“Shut the up.” She said under her breathe, but loud enough for both of us to hear.

“Kim Yerim.” I gasped, “Jungkook-sshi, I’m so sorry.” I bowed at the younger man before casted her my subtle disapproving glare.

Jungkook seemed so laid back and just laughed a little as a response. “Can I sit?” He gestured to the empty chair beside Yeri.

I wasn’t sure how to answer him. Judging from the look on Yeri’s face, she seemed so ready to choke him to death if he has a nerve to sit beside her.

 

But of course, he had.

 

“Unnie, I’ll go first.” She stood exactly after Jungkook sat on the chair beside her.

“Yah, where are you going?” I asked her. Her response towards Jungkook had puzzled me.

 

Yeri was a social butterfly. She tended to see someone’s go

Please log in to read the full chapter