Chapter 2.

That One Blinding Moment
Please log in to read the full chapter

IMPRESSIVE.

 

It had been 3 months since Kim Taeyeon joined our company. We didn’t meet each other frequently but every time we did, her eyes always flickered something I couldn’t fathom. The thought of she didn’t like me sometimes crossed my mind.

Did it bother me? Nah. I couldn’t care less about her. As long as she did a great job, that was enough.

 

Among all my marketing managers, she was the only woman. As a marketing corporate manager, she was responsible for managing cooperation with other company, as well as expanding ours towards new prospects and projects. She also has to maintain good communication to our client and persuaded them to agree with our business deal. Deal and seal it as soon as possible.

 

Yes, she carried an important role to our company that I couldn’t help but felt skeptical about her sometimes. You know, woman and their emotional antics. Although her job was always nothing but impressive. She was very determinate and fierce when it came to business. A friend of mine owned a company and was one of my business partner. He once asked me about the new person who handle the MoU between our company before stated that she could be a part of some… gangster.

 

 

 

What?

 

 

 

His comment had got me confused. Was the delicate Kim Taeyeon harmed or threatened him? I really did ask him that question. To which he explained that she was very firm and confident yet still manage to look calm. She knew what she want, which way to explain it, and how to close the deal. She wouldn’t bother to act sweet during business discussion. The way she acted on the board meeting was the complete opposite from the first time she introduce herself with breathtaking smile plastered on her lips. She was… flawless yet heartless.

 

I knew she was smart. My father shoved the information about her almost every time right in front of my face. But hearing all those statement directly from my friend, who also well known in this business world, made me realize that she was indeed impressive.

 

 

~***~

 

“What time is the meeting start?”

 

I asked Minji, my PA as soon I reached my office. Kwon Headquarter was the main office of our business empire. With 34th floor height, it accommodated our employees that run administrative and executive part of all our hotel chains around Asia. My office located on the 28th floor and my father occupied 29th floor.  Across my office was a meeting room I often used to summon my managers to discuss about their project.

 

“It’s about thirty minutes from now, sir. Miss Kim Taeyeon is already inside. She is preparing her presentation, sir.”

Minji answered me while followed me to my office, handling documents I need to sign.

“And the others?”

“Mr. Kim Heechul and Mr. Song Jongki is not yet arrive when I asked their whereabouts to their secretary. As for Ms. Choi Sooyoung is still in her office, doing make-up while Mr. Dong Youngbae is reading a newspaper in the waiting area.”

 

She answered all my questions smoothly. That was why I like her as my PA, she was professional, very effective and quick to cope up with my work rhythm.

 

“Sooyoung will join us in the meeting?”

Choi Sooyoung was the company’s general manager. She originally had nothing to do with today’s meeting.

“She do. Sir Younghwan informed her in last minute yesterday.”

“Arraseo.”

 

I didn’t say anything further and dismissed her from my office. I looked over to the documents she handed me before and one of them was the contract from one of the cottage in Jeju Island, the one I always set my eyes on. Another took over made by Taeyeon. It was a pleasant surprise, although part of me felt a little disappointed because I always wanted to claim it with my own hand. I hurriedly shrugged off the uneasy feeling. It wasn’t a big deal, I reminded my subconscious.

 

This was her second take over within only three months. That rare jewel, my father would be so proud of her. Another thing that had surprised me was she’s not a permanent employee in our company. My father had hired her for only one year. It wasn’t his decision but hers. She reasoned that she want to see the work environment first before permanently dedicated her works to this company. When my father dropped the matter to me, I didn’t advise him anything. I only nodded my head before excused myself. I knew my father was a little bit upset which I didn’t understand at all. She was just a beautiful plain girl and I’m sure we’ll get her replacement as soon as possible. But now, seeing all her achievements, I finally could see my father’s point of view.

 

 

A soft knock pulled me out from my reverie. Minji’s head peeked in from the door.

 

“The meeting will be ready in fifteen minutes, sir.”

I nodded my head before walked toward the big mirror installed behind a big couch inside my office. I studied my appearance, from my Yves St. Laurent grey suit to black Seven Friday wrist watch, up to my beard-free face and my sleek black hair. When I stepped out from my office, I bump into the lady that invaded my mind before. Kim Taeyeon.

 

 

“Good morning Mr. Kwon.”

She greeted me with that mesmerizing smile. It almost 2 weeks since our last encounter before I flew to Dubai for a business trip.

“Morning, Miss. Taeyeon. Let’s get the meeting started.”

 

I stepped into the meeting room first and greeted all the people inside the meeting room. They all seated in long square desk. Dong Youngbae, the CFO also my best buddy seated beside me. Across him was Choi Sooyoung, the company’s general manager, sat and greeted me with her playful smile. Beside her was Kim Heechul, the marketing communication manager and across him was our company’s prince charming, Song Jongki, the marketing public manager.

 

Kim taeyeon handed the hard copy of her presentation to all the people inside the room before walked to the front of the meeting room, ready for her presentation.

 

“Good morning ladies and gents. Today I would like to give you the update of my latest project.”

 

 

~***~

 

The meeting lasted for three hours. Taeyeon was presenting us her report about her recent take over. It was a well reputable cottage with beautiful scenery named Monsant de Aewol. I knew its place since three years ago, during my rebellious escapade. Placed on the edge of the cliff, it has the direct view to the beautiful Jeju beach. I really wanted to acquire the land since then. But last year I had to swallow the bitter fact that a cottage already built on it.

 

 

Monsant de Aewol.

 

 

The owner was pretty persistent. He had turned off my generous offer… twice. I was a little frustrated before decided to switch my attention back to my other target. It could wait, I thought at that time.

But now, seeing her, a newbie, successfully claimed the cottage had scratched my pride. Even just a little. That thought bring my eyes back to the pretty lady that stood tall and proud on the front, presenting her achievement. She wore a knee-length br

Please log in to read the full chapter