Chapter 6.

That One Blinding Moment
Please log in to read the full chapter

SLEEPLESS NIGHT

 

“You what?!” Seunghyun almost choked on his champagne.

 

“I won’t repeat that ever again.”

I sighed annoyingly, eyes staring at the night view of Singapore through the glass panel in my Pan Pacific penthouse. Silently begged its twinkling lights to calm my restless mind because clearly I need drinks and buddy to get rid of this heavy feeling and obviously this one gentleman couldn’t fulfill my wish. I started to regret my decision for calling him up to my penthouse.

 

 

No, I didn’t tell him about that.

 

About how soft her skin was on my lips. About my intoxicated state just by breathing in her scent. About my dizziness after I drank in her expressive brown orbs. About my mind that kept on its restless condition even after three days without seeing her. About my sleepless night, caused not only by her appearance in my dream, but also the sudden presence of my little sister and grandfather as well. It brought back the sorrowful feeling that I buried deep down inside my heart.

 

Seunghyun didn’t need to interfere to any of that. Mostly because I knew how he’ll react. He’d probably beat me real hard or get rid either me or Taeyeon from our position so we won’t bump to each other in the future. The latter seemed interesting, because I honestly didn’t know how I’ll react when I see her after that day. It was a relief Heechul agreed when I volunteered myself as his substitute for this business trip to Singapore.

But I told him about the change plan for Brunei and Jeju projects. I also told him about my little friction with Taeyeon inside my office, as subtle as I can, and how we argued that almost made us eat each other.

 

 

Almost.

Well, biting wasn’t count.

 

 

After hearing my story, Seunghyun was more on the neutral side, judging from his comments. He didn’t like how Taeyeon treated the previous owner in the silver platter yet he also disagreed with my harsh words towards her. As expected from the certified gentlemen like him.

 

 

“You do know that she’s still a woman, right?”

 

A dazzling one, if I might add, I thought mindlessly.

 

“Tsk, easy for you to say. You don’t know how it felt to face the tyrant herself.”

 

“A dainty tyrant if I must say.” Seunghyun stated, clearly teasing me.

 

“I beg to disagree.”

 

“You know Jiyong, I’ve known you for more than a decade. Are you perhaps, having sort of some feeling for her?”

 

 

It was a nonchalant question, given how his focus was on our renewal agreement with Pan Pacific Hotel. Nevertheless, Seunghyun was never the one whose paid a single heed towards nonsense and so, hearing him ascertain such an observation had sent chill down to my spine.

 

 

“Are you really asking me that question?” I countered back, tone matching his indifferent ones.

 

“Your response to her said nothing but that.”

 

“She’ll blow you off if you’re against her.” I said matter of factly, “extremely persistent and stubborn woman.”

 

“And you served Taeyeon her own entertainment.”

 

Truthfully, I lost words at his response. “Try it yourself. Attend the next meeting so I can shove your words back onto your face.” I said, voice as hard as steel.

 

“Oh, trust me… it will be my pleasure, Jiyong.” Seunghyun laughed, clearly unconcern with my subtle warning.

 

 

If anything, he sounded more amuse of the circumstances.

 

 

“Oh cousin, I can’t wait to serve that pleasure straight to your face.”

 

 

~***~

 

COLLATERAL

 

As much as I want to stay inside my penthouse, pure of the tiredness that enveloped every muscle of my body, I had many reports to do. Travel to Singapore turned to be a good one for my company. It slightly brighten up my mood and encouraged me to step out from the convenience called my bed.

 

 

“I’m almost thinking that your father finally fired you.” I smirked at sly greeting Youngbae was giving me when I bumped into him inside the elevator.

 

“You don’t know how damn much I want that.”

 

“I’ll advise you to forget then. Having a high expectation towards something you won’t ever get is not healthy.”

 

 

I laughed at his remarks. Youngbae was my friend from Junior High. We have so much things in common and our passion in music was one of them. He was my partner in crime. Unfortunately, we lost contact due to the scholarship he got from Columbia University. We met again inside the interview room when I was an intern at the HR Department of my company, and he instantly got the position as one of the Finance Manager. I admitted for being biased, but I knew this dude’s capability. The fact that he was promoted as Chief Finance Officer in such a short span of time shoot down everyone’s denial.

 

 

“Oh, I’ve heard that you’re bringing a good news from Singapore?” Youngbae said during our elevator riding. His office placed two floors before mine.

 

“Definitely. Pan Pacific agreed to prolong our joint venture. They even gave us a chance to be their partner for their next nearest project.”

 

“New hotel?”

 

“Nope. It’s an apartment tower near The Bay.” I said to him, “and you’ll have a lot more to manage, Youngbae-ah. Be prepare!”

 

Youngbae rolled his eyes at my words, “I start to feel like I’m working for a restless tyrant.”

 

“Well, given how I feel strangely enthusiastic right now, how about we discuss the matter first in my office?” I pressed Youngbae’s floor number, making its light off, “after all, I’m just being a consistent tyrant you’re told me before.”

 

“Yah!” Youngbae tried to press his floor number back, but too late. The elevator already dinged onto my floor.

 

I laughed hard at his bewildered face.

But it died almost immediately after my eyes caught the very least person I wish to see.

 

 

“Oh, there’s Mr. Kwon.” Minji stood up the moment she saw me.

 

 

I caught Minji’s movement from my peripheral view because my own focus trained to Taeyeon’s stiffened shoulder after she heard Minji’s greeting. But again, Taeyeon was good with her self preservation. She recovered rather quickly before turned her body towards my direction.

 

 

Seunghyun words replayed inside my head. The dainty tyrant.

 

 

“I’d like to have some words with you…” her words sounded stern at first but gradually swayed as her eyes caught Youngbae’s presence behind me. “Of course if you’re not busy.”

 

“Get straight to your point. I don’t have much time.” I said while opening my office’

Please log in to read the full chapter