Self

Barriers Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nayeon sat in the chairs from one of the waiting rooms. Her toe constantly tapped the floor, negative thoughts becoming worse with each minute of waiting.

"How am I supposed to explain this to the members..." Nayeon mumbled to herself, checking the clock on the wall to see that it was already 5:32 am. Almost two and a half hours have passed since the whole incident occurred and luckily for Nayeon, her members were such heavy sleepers to not notice the loud noise of the ambulance near their dorms. She knew that her members will be awake by around 8:45 since they had a schedule to prepare for soon.

After waiting for another half hour, Nayeon stood up from the chair when she saw the doctor exit from a room to approach her.

"Are you Soomi's sister by chance?" Biting her lip, Nayeon shook her head.

"No.. But I am her sister's close friend." The doctor looked up from his clipboard to take a closer look at the female's features, noticing the familiarity.

"Oh I recognize you...I went with my son to watch your performance in Sixteen-" Before the doctor could continue, Nayeon quickly interrupted the male.

"That is not important right now. Can you tell me about her condition please?" Giving the doctor a stern look, the male sighs before bringing his gaze back to his clipboard.

"Well first, I can assure you that she is in a steady condition-" Nayeon exhaled in relief before listening to the rest of the doctor's words.

"-however, she is pretty low on red blood cells right now. In fact, she passed out because of iron deficiency anemia." Nayeon had no clue as to what the doctor was telling her, but she assumed that the latter passed out from the lack of medicine she remembered that the latter hid from her.  

"We supplied her with a bit of iron for now, so in about few hours she will be able to waken soon. I recommend you to watch over her for the rest of the day just in case she feels any other symptoms." Nayeon nodded with acknowledgement.

"Am I allowed to see her now?"

"Oh, of course." The doctor opened the door for the female and headed on his way to see other patients. Nayeon enters the room, closing the door behind her as she stared at the latter. Nayeon grabbed a stool nearby and sets it beside the hospital bed, sitting on the stool as she stared at the latter's sleeping state.

"Hiding something like this isn't a big deal..." Despite her mumbles, Nayeon was sincerely worried for the latter. She knew how important the latter was to Jihyo, but at the same time she was mad at her friend. Mad that her friend would hide such an important fact that they weren't blood related.

 

...

"What?! What did you say happen to Soomi?! And what do you mean you can't make it?!" Jihyo's loud voice through the phone made Nayeon distance her phone from her ear before responding back. She knew that with her disappearance, the members would call her, so instead of waking the latter with her ringtones, Nayeon heads out of the room to call the leader of the group.

"Just explain it to the manager and cover something up. This is for Soomi's sake, okay?" The other line fell into silence until she heard her leader mumble.

"Aish out of all the days, Soomi had to pass out on her birthday."

"What? It's her birthday?" Naeyeon questioned, caught off guard by the news.

"Yeah. But I guess it can't be helped. I'll try to visit as soon as possible once we're done with our schedules. For now, just make sure she gets rest."

"Of course." Nayeon hangs up from the call, returning back to the room. To her surprise, she saw the latter sitting up from the bed, rubbing her eyes as she slowly wakes up.

"Unnie?" Soomi noticed a figure approach her, assuming that it was Jihyo even though her vision was mostly blurred.

"I am your unnie..but probably not the one you were expecting." After getting a clearer sight, Soomi saw Nayeon with a gummy smile.

"Ah, Nayeon unnie! ...Where am I?" Soomi wandered her eyes to the surroundings, seeing that it wasn't her usual room nor was it the room in Twice's compartment.

"You're in the hospital. You kinda passed out..."

"Ah..I see." Soomi nodded, completely understanding the situation.

"Does this happen often?"

"Sometimes. It would make Jihyo panic the hell out every time it happened." Both females let out a chuckle.

"Well, I may not be at a panic state, but I'm glad that you're alright now."

"Haha. Thank you." Despite Nayeon's half-joke, half-serious words, Soomi gave the female a sincere smile. One that reached to Nayeon, making her heart flutter.

 

H-her smiles sure is charming...

 

Nayeon noted in her mind, soon remembering what Jihyo had told her in the phone call.

"You should rest more. Don't want you to pass out again." Soomi stared at the sudden persistent female until she realized what was happening. Soomi slightly giggled, which confused the female.

"Did Jihyo tell you to do this? Haha. She worries too much." Although it was true that Jihyo instructed her, even Nayeon herself was actually worried for the latter. She was kind of upset that the latter had no room to think about her.

"Ani.." Nayeon decided to tease the latter and ended up cupping the latter's cheek. Nayeon brought her face closer to the latter's ear, which surprised Soomi. She didn't expect Nayeon to be such a daring person.

"You're too heavy. I don't want to carry you to the hospital again." Once Nayeon finished her sentence, she immediately tries to escape, but was hit by a pillow that the latter threw.

"YAH! WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!" Nayeon snickers as she dodges t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter