Perspectives

Barriers Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Whenever you see Soomi's name with this pink color, it is actually Soomi's other conciousness.

The concept of personality is, in general, complicated.

How exactly do we define one's personality?

Some individuals are known to be kind because of their actions, but what if there comes certain cases where that individual is not kind anymore? Are they still considered to be 'kind' when in certain cases they are not kind? . . .

Identical twins are also very complicated. Why do people sometimes favor a certain twin over the other? They have similar genetics, similar faces, similar height, similar voices.. but maybe different personalities. At least, that's how people identify which twin is which. Unless of course one of the twins change their appearance a bit in order for others to differentiate them from the other twin.

But there are cases where twins fool others by acting like their other twin.

The question is...how do they act like the other twin so naturally? Especially when the other twin has established a certain relationship with the person, whereas this twin sees that person as a mere stranger.

 

- - -

 

Back to the time when the original Soomi was at the orphanage, her other consciousness would always appear whenever the original Soomi would sleep at night. Therefore, the original Soomi would think that she had slept for a long time when in reality her other consciousness would sneak out and roam around the area.

It wasn't as if 'Soomi' could sleep, cause if she tried to do so, then the original Soomi would just wake up and try to sleep again, which will then have them go back and forth between consciousness.

The reason why 'Soomi' sneaks out is because she doesn't want to interact with anyone. Anyone as in, anyone at all. 'Soomi' believes that if she does meet someone that the original Soomi knows, then she would have to place a facade: one in which she has to pretend to be the real Soomi.

 

But her mindset states that as long as she avoids such people, then she should be fine.

 

However that didn't last for long.

 

One night after the original Soomi slept, 'Soomi' did her usual routine and snuck out from the orphanage. The reason she often does this is to simply enjoy the view from another perspective, one so free compared to her previous life.

That night just happens to be the time when Jihyo was awake. She heard a quiet ruffle sound of someone getting out of their sleeping bag. Curious, she looked up to see Soomi leaving the room.

Jihyo got out of her own sleeping bag and proceeded to follow Soomi, wondering what the latter was up to at this hour.

She saw Soomi by the river, sitting near the flowing water as the latter stared at her own reflection.

"Its cold out here you know" Jihyo intervened as 'Soomi' instantly turns back to see an aquaintance. No, actually more than an aquaintance, at least according to the original Soomi. But 'Soomi' wasn't the original conscious, 'Soomi' hasn't met Jihyo like how the original met Jihyo as Jisoo, though of course the original's memory of that was also wiped.

This was a new encounter for 'Soomi'. A very awkward one on her side since Jihyo assumes that she is the original Soomi.

With no response, Jihyo approached closer to where 'Soomi' is at.

"Not gonna talk to your unnie eh? I am older than you." Jihyo lightly joked, but still no response nor a change of expression was shown with 'Soomi'.

"Why did you follow me?" 'Soomi' asked coldly, staring right into Jihyo's eyes.

Soomi's gaze sent shivers down Jihyo's spine. Never has she seen the latter with such a cold expression. The shock made her freeze into place. 

"Well? Are you going to answer me or not, unnie." 'Soomi' said, expecting to receive a harsh comeback and hoping for Jihyo to go back to the orphanage and reconcile with the original Soomi in the daytime if asked about this moment. However, her plan was shattered when she noticed that Jihyo approached her even closer.

"What happened? Is this really the cheerful yet dense Soomi that I know?"

No, it wasn't.

At least, that's what 'Soomi' wanted to say, but instead she responded back with another question.

"Would you even believe me if I were to tell you that I'm not Soomi?" Jihyo furrowed her brows, not exactly understanding the context of 'Soomi's' question.

"I'm..not sure..would you care to explain?"

And that was all it took for 'Soomi' to reveal about herself, about being a part of another person's consciousness. 'Soomi' told her every little detail, from the original Soomi's memories vanishing to about her appearing everytime the original Soomi either loses consciousness or sleeps. 'Soomi' tells this all to Jihyo as if she were venting all her problems. I guess this could add on to one of the reasons why she didn't want to talk to anyone, because she would end up being too honest to keep a secret.

Well, it wasn't as if she was bounded by a contract to not tell anyone this, but it's not like her story would seem believable either to an outsider. Despite those chances, 'Soomi' told Jihyo anyway.

It seems skeptical in Jihyo's perspective after listening to 'Soomi's' story, but instead of immediately doubting 'Soomi', she decided to continue listening until she was finished.

"So if you're technically not Soomi, then what name should I call you?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter