Ironic Past

Barriers Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

February 27th, 20xx

 

"Mom! Dad! It's almost my birthday!" The child exclaimed, reminding her loving parents as she hopes to receive a trendy doll that her classmates have.

"Now sweetheart, have some patience. There's still four whole days left, so until then, just wait, okay?" The child's father said, displaying a smile for her daughter, though the moment he looked back at his clipboard, his expression immediately changes into one with concern.

"I..I guess I can wait..b-but can you at least take a break from work today?" The child persisted, but this time it was the mother's turn to speak.

"I'm sorry sweetie, but we can't take a break. Our company wants us to fix a few errors in the code as soon as possible."

"...Okay." The child's face grimanced as she sees both of her parents concentrate on their work.

Due to the neglectance, the child heads out of the house, hoping that her parents would show even a slight concern to her disappearance, but to no avail, neither her father nor her mother noticed that the child was missing.

The child sits at one out of the four swings, holding onto the chains as she sighs. It's been about an hour since she was wandering around the park. Goosebumps began to appear in her arms as she shivers from the cold breeze.

Hoping that the subtle footsteps were from her parents, the child quickly lifted her head up. Instead, the child met eyes with another child. This particular child in front of her had her hair tied in a high wavy ponytail.

"You're in my spot. Can you move?" The child sitting on the swings turns her head to clearly see that the other swings were completely unoccupied. She then glares at the child in front of her, almost as if she's starting a fight with her eyes.

"Don't wanna. What are you gonna do about it?" She heard the child in front of her click her tongue before walking away, or at least that's what she thought. From her backside, she was pushed away from the swing, her knee skin being scraped by the rough surface of the sand below the swings where she fell. She was too stunned by what the child did to her to notice the wound on her knee.

"I did tell you to move politely at first. You left me no choice." The child scoffed, smirking with pride as the child was finally going to claim her spot on the swing.

"Jisoo? Jisoo!!" A man's voice was heard. The child claimed to be as Jisoo frowned, hesitantly staring at the child whom she pushed first before running forward to where the voice came from.

Not seeing any more benefit in waiting at the playground, the child proceeded to return home as well, limping on her way back.

Even when she finally returned home, neither of her parents ever gave notice to the scraped knee she had.

 

March 2nd, 20xx

 

"Even though you promised to be with me... I hate you both!!"

"Soomi wait!-" Her father tried to calm her child as much as possible, but instead he saw his child run out the door. If he were to chase after her right now, then they would be late to their flight to Europe. He gave a signal for his wife to go to the car first as he checks the brief case that contains their invention. The two researcher parents finally fixed the codes to get the invention to start working again, but the unfortunate part is that they have to deliver the invention on the week of their daughter's birthday.

Soomi's father ordered the babysitter to chase after his daughter before entering the car with a sigh, disappointed with himself for breaking his promise.

Soomi on the other hand returned to the same playground she visited to a few days ago. She saw the same child who was rude to her, but this time when both of their eyes met, it didn't seem like either was trying to start a fight. 

"Hey. Sorry for pushing you the other day." Jisoo initiated, now looking down at Soomi's scraped knee. 

"..." Soomi didn't respond, instead she approached Jisoo, standing from a distance behind her. Jisoo clenched onto the swing chains, expecting the latter to push her off the swings just like she did, but instead she was surprised that her back was hit instead. The force wasn't enough to push her, but it did hurt her back. 

"Ow! And here I am, apologizing to you cause appa scolded me for it!"

"I don't need your apology. I'm mad right now and you deserved at least this much anyway." Soomi huffed in annoyance as she sat herself on the swing next to Jisoo's.

"Why are you so mad anyway? Do you have your period or something?" Soomi tilted her head from the question, giving a confused look.

"What's a period?"

"Hmm..I don't know, but my friend told me that her sister had it before. She told me that her sister was bleeding a lot and being cranky about it, or something like that."

"Bleeding? That sounds scary, I don't ever wanna have a period." Jisoo nodded in agreement.

"Anyway, if that's not it, then why are you mad?" Hearing the question again, Soomi kicks the ground full of small wood chunks, making herself swing back and forth.

"The promises that my parents made are always broken. They promised to spend time with me on my birthdays, but instead they would end up going to business trips. So tomorrow, I'll be stuck with a babysitter that will end up hogging the tv remote and watching stupid love shows!"

While Soomi grunted, Jisoo thought about what Soomi had told her. Jisoo nodded to herself, then turned her head to face Soomi.

"Meet me here tomorrow."

"..huh?" Soomi took awhile to process Jisoo's words, until Jisoo then began her explanation of what she meant.

"Sneak out from your house and meet me here tomorrow."

"Why would I do that?" Jisoo gave Soomi a glare.

"Well, it's your birthday tomorrow right? Would you rather stay at home with your babysitter or would you rather find out what I have planned for us?"

"...Okay, fine."

 

March 3rd, 20xx

 

Remembering what Jisoo had told her, Soomi had sneaked out of her home. It wasn't much of a challenge since the babysitter just assumed that Soomi would spend the whole day in her room to cope.

Just as she expected, Soomi saw Jisoo waiting for her in the park.

"You're late!" Jisoo said, crossing her arns.

"Sorry!"

"...Well, whatever. Let's go." Jisoo stated, beginning to run.

"Wha- W-wait up!" As Jisoo predicted, Soomi ran after her. Both girls continued to run until they've reached the front of a huge house.

"I...told you...to wait...for me...!"

"I am...I'm waiting for you to catch your breath." Soomi gave Jisoo a death glare while Jisoo responded with a merong face.

 

 

...

"So... why did you bring me to your house again?" Soomi asked as she watched Jisoo searching through a closet. 

"Of course to swim in the pool. Its boring to swim by myself, and besides you seem like the type of person that likes to swim...right?" 

"...Not really. I've never actually went to a pool before." Jisoo stops searching and turns her attention now to what seems to be a sulking Soomi. 

"Really? Why haven't you?" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter