Seven

Whispers in the Dark

“Meow~”

*scratch, scratch*

“ Meow~”

*rub*

Jin stared at the scene unfolding next to him out of the corner of his eye.

After Yoongi had sort of called him to come with him and obviously his new pet, Jin had complied in an instant, foolishly thinking how this was a chance for him and Yoongi to clear any sort of misunderstandings between them.

Except that Yoongi showed no such desire as he walked all the way towards the elevator which they were currently riding, cradling the little fluff ball in his arms and paying no attention to Jin.

Jin could not be jealous of such an adorable creature that had his neighbour’s full attention at that moment, but Jin does admit that he was little envious of it since he seemed to be completely invisible to the demon who surprisingly had a soft side when it came to kittens.

The elevator ride passed in complete silence except the sound of contented purring coming from the little creature’s mouth every time Yoongi scratched that certain spot behind its white ear or just caressed its silky fur.

The elevator was approaching their floor and Jin was running out of time.

Come on, say something, anything.

You need to show him that you mean no harm so that he can finally stop doubting you and threatening you and just scaring you less from time to time.

While Jin was absorbed in his thoughts, he hadn’t even noticed that Yoongi had already exited the elevator and it was only when the doors started closing that he flinched in surprise, stopping the door from closing on him by placing his hand in between.

“ Wait!” Jin desperately yelled out, his voice coming out as a half-sob, because his hand was slightly hurting from the metal door almost squishing it.

Yoongi was just a few steps away from his front door, twisting his upper body and giving Jin a puzzling glance.

The kitten was peeking out of his arms, its expression matching the expression of its new owner.

The similarity between them was really uncanny, Jin thought in wonder.

“ What?” Yoongi grunted out, getting impatient at Jin’s lack of answer and Jin shook his head to clear his thoughts.

“ Uhm, I was wondering how you were going to name it?” Jin asked the first question that came to his mind, congratulating himself for asking something that actually made sense.

Yoongi furrowed his eyebrows, before glancing at the fur ball in his arms that was currently biting his hand.

“ Trouble.” Yoongi said, still staring at the kitten, the corners of his lips curling in such a loving smile that Jin felt as if someone took his breath away.

Well not someone.

His demon neighbor to be precise.

That is why he was capable of only uttering a quiet “Oh” in response to the kitten’s name.

Trouble.

How convenient to go with its owner who really was trouble, Jin thought.

“ Why do you want to know?” Yoongi asked, his eyes scrutinizing Jin as always, and Jin wondered if he was ever going to be worthy of receiving that smile that was gracing Yoongi’s lips a few seconds ago.

Probably not.

“ No reason. Just curious.” Jin said, and Yoongi kept staring at him for a few moments as if trying to figure out if Jin was telling the truth.

In the end Trouble let out a loud mewl probably seeking attention and Yoongi looked away, going into his apartment without a word and leaving Jin standing alone in the hallway.

There goes any chance of improving our relationship, Jin thought dejectedly.

*

Jin stared through his bedroom window at the streets that were now turned into riverbeds through which muddy streams flowed, making the people on the sidewalk curse loudly every time a passing vehicle splashed filthy water on them, soaking them wet and painting their clothes in various shades of brown. Jin watched as the rain droplets fell on every open surface, drowning the city. Jin loved the rain, it made him feel at peace. Every thought he had before would disappear in that instant, his mind sort of a blank as he held out his hand out of his double casement window, letting the large droplets kiss his bare skin. He shivered at the contact, welcoming the crystal clear drops on his skin, cleansing him from any negative thoughts. He left the window open for the fresh air to come in as he grabbed his towel and briefs and went to take a soothing, hot shower.

Jin placed his baby pink towel and black briefs on the edge of the sink before stepping into the shower. Another shudder travelled all the way from his toes when they came in contact with the cold, ceramic tiles, spreading through his whole body. The water started pouring down, steam filling the bathroom and fogging up the mirror hanging above the sink. Jin stepped underneath the stream, reveling in the sensation of warm drops falling onto his skin, making him close his eyes and think of the events that happened 2 hours ago. Jin’s mind swirled as he thought back to the way Yoongi had him pinned to that wall in the passage just by the intensity of his unrelenting stare, only to transform into someone Jin couldn’t figure out for the life of him, someone whose icy touch on his waist set his whole body on fire and even now, just the thought of it made his insides clench. As the heat gradually spread through his body, Jin wondered what Yoongi was doing now. Actually, he wondered what he and Trouble were doing. Is Trouble mewling non-stop and asking for his attention? Is Yoongi walking around the apartment while cradling her like a baby and peppering her with kisses? Does he sit on his sofa with Trouble in his lap, his slender fingers ( not that Jin stared at them more than he should have really) lazily running through her smooth fur until they are both lulled to sleep? Jin groaned, leaning forward until his forehead hit the ceramic wall. Why the hell am I even thinking about that?! He reprimanded himself for such ridiculous thoughts, instead focusing on his shower once again. He took his favourite vanilla-strawberry scented shampoo, rubbing it gently in his hair, before spreading the remaining foam all over his body.

After about a 20 minute relaxing shower with his muscles finally less tense, Jin stepped out of the shower. He dried his hair with his towel, before putting on his briefs and wrapping his towel around his waist. He stared at his reflection in the mirror, nodding in satisfaction when he confirmed once again how good he looked even with a bare face. But then his gaze traveled to his stomach and he frowned slightly. If he keeps up eating like this, he was going to have to go to gym every day instead of 2 times a week. He was still lean and his stomach was firm and toned from all the workout, but his abs were barely visible now and he wasn’t completely pleased with that. He couldn’t help it that he loved food so much.

With a final resigned sigh he got out of the bathroom, only to have his heart stop for a moment when he heard an agitated voice behind him.

“ ing finally, what the hell were you even doing there-looking for Nemo?”

Jin turned around slowly, although he knew who it was, but he couldn’t believe that this was happening again.

And sure enough he was once again faced with the same man who had done this same kind of thing on the same night they met for the first time.

His neighbor was leaning on the wall, in a dark blue hoodie with a white skull on it and light blue jeans that were seriously ripped, showing off much of his pale skin and leaving very little to imagination. However, despite the obvious irritation in Yoongi’s voice, this time his gaze was not dangerous like the first time he did this. Or more like-it was dangerous, but in a different sort of way? In the kind of way that left Jin gasping for air as Yoongi’s black eyes sparkled while raking over Jin’s half- form. Jin felt self-conscious, desperately wanting to cover himself, but he couldn’t let Yoongi see that the way he stared at him, the way he dragged his gaze excruciatingly slow over his calves, his thighs to his stomach, his chest and oh God it even lingered for a bit on his chest and Jin cursed himself for leaving the window open, letting the chilly air evade his room, making his two buds slightly hard and obviously of immense interest to his demon neighbor. He could feel the heat spreading over his cheekbones as Yoongi kept staring at his chest, before finally meeting his gaze and his lips unconsciously, but to Jin who was now hyper-aware of everything his neighbor did, it did not go unnoticed and it made Jin’s insides twist once again in that unpleasant, but at the same time perfectly pleasant way.

He was brought back to reality when Yoongi cleared his throat, saying, “ Anyways, Trouble is hungry I think. She keeps meowing and pestering me even when I pet her, so I am guessing she wants food. I don’t know what cats here are allowed to eat and since you are a human, you come and feed her.”

What the actual , Jin thought as he stared at his neighbor incredulously.

So not only did Yoongi trespass as if it was perfectly normal, almost giving him a heart attack in the process and now he was actually ordering Jin to come and take care of Trouble?

Unbelievable.

However, Jin would be lying if he said that he wasn’t at all curious how Yoongi’s apartment look like, or to see that little ball of fluffiness and not to mention that he couldn’t allow anyone to starve whether it be a human, or an animal, or even maybe a demon.

It went against his belief that “food is an essential part of life and that it can cure everything.”

Why else would girls ( and okay maybe him as well) stuff their faces with ice-cream after breaking up with their partners, or being dumped?

An obvious proof that food can cure anything especially depression.

“ Fine. But, I need to get dressed.” Jin stated, thinking how he shouldn’t defy Yoongi too much so that he wouldn’t miss his chance to barge into his apartment for a change.

Yoongi let out an exasperated sigh and said, “ Just hurry up.”

Jin rolled his eyes and was just about to go to his wardrobe and grab some clothes when he saw that Yoongi was still standing in the same place, arms crossed over his chest, eyes set on him.

“ What are you doing?” Jin asked, tilting his head in confusion.

Yoongi knitted his eyebrows slightly, answering, “ Waiting for you to get the dressed so that we can go to Trouble. She has already been waiting for an eternity, because SOMEBODY decided to be Ariel and brush her hair with a fork, judging by the mess on top of your head.”

ing rude, Jin spat out in his head, narrowing his eyes at the demon.

He crossed his arms over his chest as well, keeping his voice as calm as possible as he said, “ You are crazy if you think that I am going to get changed in front of you. Now get out and wait for me in the living room.”

Yoongi actually had the audacity to snort and roll his eyes at him, saying, “ As if there is something worth seeing.”

Why that little piece of , Jin thought, curling his fist, the words leaving his mouth, before he had time to filter them.

“ Well I am sure that there are much bigger things to be seen in my case than when it comes to some pale shrimp with tiny eyes and that is probably not the only thing that is tiny on him.”

Suddenly, the air in the room became even colder.

Jin wasn’t sure if that was because of the freezing weather on the outside, or because of the way Yoongi’s eyes darkened, his face now sinister while his rosy lips curled into an evil smirk as he said in a voice so low and deep that it had Jin’s mind going into an overdrive, “ Oh, really? Well then let’s test that theory out-Big Guy~”

The last two words were spoken in a sarcastic voice as Yoongi started making confident steps towards him with Jin swallowing hard and wondering how he got himself into this.

His eyes widened as Yoongi kept closing the distance between them, and what the hell was Yoongi planning to do-STRIPPING HIM ?!

Jin kept backing away, fear spreading through his body as he watched Yoongi whose smirk was growing bigger, his eyes glowing devilishly and why was it that Jin also felt slightly aroused in that moment?!

When Yoongi was so close to him that he could feel the electricity running between their bodies, Jin took one large step back, letting out a very unmanly squeak when his legs hit the edge of his bed causing him to fall on it with his towel sliding off his waist in the process. He immediately propped himself on his elbows, horrified that he was now only left in his briefs and oh god he was half-hard already. He could feel his face burning, but when he looked at Yoongi it was as if there was fire raging inside of his body.

Yoongi’s eyes were resting on his lower region, his lips slightly parted and when their gazes met, Jin’s wide shocked eyes meeting Yoongi’s dark orbs glimmering with some sort of golden shimmer, widening slightly when their eyes met causing Yoongi to do something so uncharacteristic of him.

He rubbed his neck and looked away, quickly saying, “Just get dressed already, bring food for Trouble and come to my apartment. The door is unlocked.”

And then Yoongi left the room in two blinks of Jin’s eye.

Jin was left staring at the door of his bedroom, still stunned, wondering if Yoongi actually seemed…Embarrassed? Shy? Awkward?

But, there was no way for that…

At least he couldn’t be the cause of it, because there was no way that he could have such an effect on Yoongi.

He lightly slapped his cheeks, telling himself to get a grip before grabbing a pair of black basketball shorts that were slightly above his knees and a plain dark red jersey T-Shirt with number 1 on it embroidered in golden stitching.

He went to his fridge, hastily taking milk, bread, and a few slices of salami. He also took his favourite purple bowl that he brought from home. He used to eat cereals from it when he was a kid and it reminded him of his mom who would always make sure that his stomach was full before leaving the house to go to school, or to play with his friends.

When he was in front of Yoongi’s apartment door, he inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly to calm his nerves. He opened the door tentatively, letting out a faint “ Hello?” as he entered the apartment.

He found himself in a living room slightly larger than his, but with much less furniture. There was only a black flat screen and a black leather sofa in front of it in the center of the room while a maroon armchair sat in the corner next to the window and a brown floor lamp on the other side of it. There was also a large bookshelf next to the lamp with various books on magical creatures, war techniques, martial arts, philosophy and what not…Yoongi had an even bigger selection of books than Namjoon and that was admirable since Namjoon was like the biggest nerd Jin knew.

“ I brought food!” Jin exclaimed once again, wondering where in the world were Yoongi and Trouble.

What caught his attention was a shiny, pitch black piano placed next to the door that presumably led to Yoongi’s bedroom. Jin moved his fingers across the smooth surface, imagining Yoongi playing the piano, his pale fingers dancing on the keyboard, producing a melody as dark and as mysterious as himself, but with a soft undertone while his silky hair would fall into his eyes making him even more unreal.

Jin was startled out of his thoughts when something bumped into his foot.

He looked down only to be met with the little fluff ball who he had the pleasure of meeting a few hours ago.

“ Hey little guy, or girl…I hear you are hungry?” Jin gently spoke to the kitten who observed him with large sparkly eyes as Jin crouched down, placing a bowl in front of the starved creature and filling it with milk. He took the softest part of bread, ripping it into pieces and throwing it into the bowl.

“ Dig in, sweetie~” Jin said and smiled at the little fur ball in front of him that didn’t need to be told twice.

He watched the kitten with fondness as it ate, letting out little sounds of satisfaction presumably.

Jin sat on the floor, leaning his back and head on the back of the sofa and watching the ball of fluff drinking the milk greedily.

He wondered where Yoongi was and why he had left them alone in his apartment?

First, he accused Jin of being a spy and an enemy and then he trusted him to come into his apartment and stay with his new pet unsupervised…

He was truly a mystery, Jin thought, feeling frustrated.

He could feel the exhaustion catching up to him, and he wondered why Yoongi wouldn’t leave his mind these days. Why did his image haunt him at night, in his dreams particularly…

His eyes fluttered shut, random thoughts meandering inside of his head, slowing down with each passing minute, pushing him towards the edge of unconsciousness. He could feel himself floating on the verge of reality and land of dreams, but he couldn’t fall asleep completely. It was only when he heard a familiar melody, something that he had heard before, sort of a sad, eerie lullaby, but strangely comforting that he knew that he had almost drifted off to the world of unconsciousness.

He thought he had heard Trouble meowing and calling to him, but then a faint “ Shhh” followed and the next thing he knew there it was again.

Icy fingers splayed over his body, making him feel flustered and at ease at the same time. This time he was too tired to feel flustered so he gave in to that feeling of ease, letting his mind be dragged to a new dream of a boy with wings as black as his eyes, sitting at a piano while producing the most breath-taking melody, stirring his soul and whole being.