Four

Whispers in the Dark

Managed to finish this chapter, but you might have to wait for chapter 5 a bit longer, because now I have to really start studying, so yeah...I will try to write it when I have free time, but the next update might be in 2 or 3 days, or even later than that although I hope to finish it before that. It is so frustrating, because I just can't wait to write and develop this story with all the ideas going on in my head.


After what had happened at the club, Jin was sure that he did not want to go back to his apartment that night.

He knew that if he went to Hoseok and Namjoon that they would definitely notice that something was wrong and then question him about it, and he really had no strength to explain them what had happened, especially because he wasn’t sure if he knew what exactly had happened.

So, he excused himself, saying how he felt sick when Siwon started throwing questions at him about Yoongi and the fact that he had just quit on his first day at the job.

He could still hear Siwon’s frustrated voice behind him, muttering how “ ungrateful that weird emo brat” is, probably referring to Yoongi, but Jin couldn’t find it in himself to care about that at the moment.

With shaky steps he finally managed to get to the bathroom of the nightclub, and he winced at his reflection in the mirror.

His previously perfectly styled hair was now sticking out in every direction. His eyeliner was smudged and his previously lively eyes now seemed to have grown dimmer. All the color seemed to be gone from his face and he looked ghostly.

 Lifeless.

 He stared at his reflection in the cheap bathroom mirror and his eyes fell on his neck. His fingers slowly traveled to two little holes in his neck and as he brushed his fingers over them, he felt a jolt of pain. He winced, before letting cold water run from the tap and starting to clean the blood from his neck and his white tee. Once he was relatively done with cleaning up, having managed to remove all the blood from his neck with his shirt now slightly stained at the top with a brownish sort of spot that could have been from an accidentally spilled drink, he looked at his reflection once again.

Then it hit him.

He was attacked.

And judging by Yoongi’s words, a vampire attacked him.

Vampires existed.

He almost became one.

Yoongi saved him, but that was obviously because he had other plans with him.

He could hear those horrifying desperate cries of the vampire in his head.

Yoongi had caused them.

Yoongi had killed him.

Now he was sure that Yoongi was not a human being.

And for some unknown reason, his neighbor who was not human and who had just killed a vampire without even flinching, was after him.

Jin felt nauseous.

He lurched forward, gripping the sink tightly as he released the contents from his stomach in it.

 

After about 20 more minutes spent in the bathroom and locked in a stall, sobbing into his hands, Jin finally managed to calm himself down.

He texted Jaehwan, asking him if he could crash at his place tonight and luckily his friend agreed.

He didn’t have enough money for the cab, so he had to wait for the bus.

As he sat on the cold, metal bench at the station, he started rocking his body back and forth.

He could feel a wave of nausea engulfing him once again as he recalled the events from before, but he forced himself to swallow hard, pushing that sickening feeling to the back of his throat.

He had to pull himself together.

He couldn’t let himself fall apart in front of his friend.

That is why when Jaehwan finally opened the door to his small apartment in Itaewon, smiling at him brightly, Jin had to pinch himself just so that he could force a wide smile in response, so that his friend wouldn’t get suspicious.

“ Jinnie, my man! Look at you-wild night, hmmm?!” Jaehwan let out a hearty laugh while slapping him on the back and Jin barely managed to let out a little laugh as well and nod in confirmation.

That seemed to have made his friend even more pleased as he pulled him inside of the warm apartment, yelling excitedly , “ You party animal! I knew you had it in you! You have to TELL ME EVERYTHING!”

Jaehwan’s eyes sparkled with hunger about his “conquest”, but Jin wasn’t sure he could come up with a story before breaking into violent sobbing, so he smiled weakly, saying “ I am really tired, though. Can it wait till some other time?”

Preferably never.

His friend seemed disappointed by his lack of enthusiasm to share his “wild story”, but he smiled nevertheless, saying “ Okay, but you are not getting away without telling me all the dirty details in the morning. I will go get you a blanket and you can crash on the couch.”

Jin thanked his friend, and he was just about to go and plop down on the couch when he felt Jaehwan’s touch on his neck, making him flinch in surprise.

Jaehwan wolf-whistled, saying “ Daaamn that guy sure was hungry for you! His love-bites look more like bruises than anything. Oh, Jinnie I knew it-you love those rough guys, don’t you?”

That was obviously a rhetorical question, because in the next moment Jaehwan was disappearing in his bedroom to take the blankets and Jin was left standing in the living room, his body still tense.

He scratched the skin on his neck, wanting to peel it off, wanting for those two holes to disappear, wanting to forget about everything.

He felt so filthy, so disgusting, and he didn’t stop scratching the skin on his neck even when it started throbbing painfully.

It was only when he felt the liquid on the pads of his fingers that he stopped, staring soullessly at the blood on his hands.

He shuddered, before lying down on the couch and closing his eyes.

He didn’t even open them when he heard Jaehwan saying something, before he felt a soft material draping his body with his friend whispering “goodnight” to him.

When he was alone in the dark, he let his tears fall once again, his hand coming up to cover his eyes as he cried into the sleeve of his shirt.

 

Jin left Jaehwan’s apartment at the crack of dawn.

He couldn’t risk being there when Jaehwan wakes up and starts interrogating him about his “last night endeavours”.

He still wasn’t ready for that, so he just left him a note saying how he had to leave early to get something done.

Fortunately, it was Saturday so he wasn’t going to have to see Jaehwan until Monday at the lectures.

That will give him enough time to regain his composure.

Or well at least try to.

He knew that he should be anxious about walking alone on the streets with everything that had happened to him on the previous night, but once again it was as if he wasn’t the one in control of his body.

His legs moved on their own, having memorized the way back to his apartment after so many nights spent at Jaehwan’s apartment during all these years, watching late night movies and gossiping about Jaehwan’s rowdy love-life.

He chuckled slightly remembering those peaceful times, before his life suddenly got turned upside-down.

His expression darkened as he thought of everything that he had to experience since his odd neighbor entered his life.

Which brings him to the question of what his neighbor exactly was?

He was probably not a vampire, judging by the disgust in his tone when he was talking about that man that had assaulted Jin.

Besides, Jin doubted that Yoongi would kill one of his own, although he sure seemed capable enough to do it.

So, what kind of being was Yoongi?

A devil?

 Because he sure acted like one.

It was just a matter of time when he was going to rip Jin’s soul out of his body, the tall boy concluded sadly.

It was all out of his hands anyways.

He was just a mere human, what could he do?

How was he supposed to fight creatures that were not from this world?

He let out a defeated sigh, belatedly realizing that he had already reached his building and was in his elevator.

He went out of the elevator, making slow steps towards his apartment, before stopping in front of Yoongi’s apartment door and staring at it intently.

So, he wasn’t far from the truth when he concluded how Yoongi was death itself.

He let out a little chuckle, not out of any sort of amusement, but just because this was all so unreal that he couldn’t do anything but laugh.

He shook his head in disbelief, before going to his apartment.

He was in such a zombie-like state that he did not even notice the figure riding the elevator with him and observing his every move.

The figure behind him was especially taken aback by his behavior as he stood in front of Yoongi’s door and chuckled.

The figure was now standing in front of that same door, before knocking on it.

He was sure that the owner of the apartment was still sleeping, but he kept on knocking on the door until a displeased black-haired man wrenched the front door open and barked out an irritated “ What?!” at him.

The figure just grinned, thinking how the man had not changed at all during this year that they haven’t seen each other, and he chirped “ Good morning to you too, sunshine!”

The shorter guy blinked a few times, his irritated expression being replaced by a slightly surprised one as he said in a quiet voice, “ Jeon Jungkook…”

The tall raven-haired boy flashed him a teasing grin, before entering the apartment, saying “ Hey, Hyung. Long time no see. Missed me?”

The door slammed shut as Jungkook let himself in and Yoongi snorted “ As if.” but Jungkook knew that he was lying.

Some things never change, he thought with a smile on his face, his chest filling with warmth after finally being reunited with his favourite Hyung.

 

“How did you find me, kid?” Yoongi asked as he leaned on his kitchen counter, crossing his arms and watching the taller boy who was looking around his apartment as an excited puppy.

Seriously, the kid hasn’t changed at all, Yoongi rolled his eyes, but a small smile still found its way to his lips.

“ Well, it wasn’t easy since you took every measure to hide your presence on Earth. Were you even planning on telling me that you were here?” Jungkook said in an accusatory voice and Yoongi just shrugged his shoulders, answering honestly “ Probably, not.”

That made the boy put as he whined, “ Hyuuuung!”

“ Don’t you Hyung me, you know how dangerous it is for you to come here. What in the world were you thinking?” Yoongi answered in a stern voice, feeling slightly bad when Jungkook’s expression fell.

“ I know…But, I missed you…It’s been a year…” Jungkook whispered and Yoongi’s gaze softened.

He let out an exasperated sigh as he said, “ Okay, okay, don’t start guilt-tripping me. How have you been?”

Jungkook’s chocolate brown eyes lit at that question, a wide smile on his lips, revealing his front bunny teeth as he spoke in a cheerful voice, “ I have been great! Earth is so amazing and I am never going back home. I am sure that even you will love it here instead of the demon world.”

Yoongi frowned at those words, his gaze hardening.

“ I am not so sure about that. I have been here less than two weeks, and already someone is after me…” Yoongi muttered and Jungkook was immediately next to him, worry etched on his boyish face.

“ They found you? But, how…?” Jungkook asked alarmed and Yoongi placed a hand on his shoulder to reassure him.

“ I don’t think it’s them, but someone is definitely after me…And whoever it is, he has his spy living two doors away from mine…” Yoongi finished in a serious voice, and Jungkook felt confused.

Two doors away from his?

Wait a second… That weird guy from the elevator that had been staring at Yoongi’s door, didn’t he see him entering in the apartment two doors away from his??

“ You mean that guy with doe-like eyes and unbelievably broad-shoulders?” Jungkook asked, remembering the way the guy from this morning looked liked.

Yoongi widened his eyes, before squeezing his shoulders, hissing “ What?! How did you know? Is he after you, too?! , I knew I should have killed him when I had the chance! That freaking Kim Seokjin!”

Jungkook stared at his Hyung who seemed to be having some sort of a panic attack in this moment and he had never before seen Yoongi lose his cool like this.

Well, he has, but not in this way.

“ No, calm down, he isn’t after me. Well, I would have noticed if he was. It’s just that I rode the elevator with him this morning and he caught my attention, because he looked like a walking dead man. His eyes were expressionless, and I am pretty sure I could smell blood on his shirt and then I saw the bite on his neck. For a second, I was afraid that he was a vampire, but then I relaxed when I heard his heart beating. Also, he stood in front of your door for a few seconds which made me wonder what his deal was. However, I am not sure that he is a spy… I mean he is just a human. A weird human, but still a human.” Jungkook explained, choosing to omit the part about the guy chuckling as if he was crazy. After all he didn’t get a bad vibe from him, and he didn’t want Yoongi attacking an innocent guy.

Yoongi, however, did not seem convinced by Jungkook’s words.

He was frowning and thinking.

Where did Kim Seokjin spend the night if not in his apartment?

Maybe he went to his boss to tell him about what had happened with that vampire?

And to tell him about Yoongi’s strength, but then again while Yoongi was busy murdering that creature he glanced at his neighbor who had his eyes closed in that moment which was strange.

How was he supposed to determine Yoongi’s powers if he had his eyes closed?

Unless that was his secret power?

The thing that bothered him the most was the way his neighbor stared at him after Yoongi had lashed out at him when he killed that filthy vampire.

They were never on friendly terms with those blood- leeches.

He had no idea if Kim Seokjin let himself be led into the darkness by the vampire voluntarily, because he wanted to lure Yoongi in, which he wasn’t so sure about anymore when he saw the guy’s reaction after everything, or if his neighbor was actually unable to resist the vampire’s strength and power of persuasion.

What he did know was that when Kim Seokjin looked at him with tears in his wide hazel orbs, his lips quivering and his voice breaking as he uttered Yoongi’s name, was that he looked utterly frightened.

Yoongi was taken aback in that moment, hearing his name leaving his neighbor’s lips for the first time and it stirred something in him.

Maybe it was because of the pitiful state the taller boy was in, or maybe it was because of the fact that he spoke his name in such a tone of voice.

So gentle and scared, but at the same time…Grateful?

It was confusing.

Yes, he did save him from a vampire, but not because he wanted to, or because he was worried about that neighbor of his.

No way, he did it because…

Yoongi furrowed his eyebrows, thinking hard.

Now that he thinks about it-why did he come to Kim Seokjin’s rescue?

If it was some sort of an ambush for him then the logical thing to do would be not to follow the two of them.

After all, if Seokjin was not human then he could very well fight that vampire.

But then there was that tiny voice at the back of Yoongi’s head, whispering-“ What if he is a human, after all?”

Even if that was true, even if Yoongi had been wrong about Kim Seokjin, it still wasn’t his concern what happened with him.

Why should it be?

And despite all of that, he felt drawn to the place where he saw the vampire leading his neighbor, and he reacted without thinking.

But, why? Why would he do that for that guy??!

“ Hyung? What are you thinking about?” Jungkook asked as he waved his hands in front of Yoongi who seemed to be in a world of his own.

Yoongi got startled out of his thoughts, before letting a frustrated sigh.

He was thinking too much into things.

Besides, he was rarely wrong and he doubted that Kim Seokjin was an exception.

“ There is something wrong about that guy. The first time we met, he seemed innocent. Too innocent. So, I flew into his room that night to see if he was a threat, or not. And then I saw him typing a message to his friend about how I was a demon! How in the world would he know that, if he wasn’t sent by someone to spy on me?” Yoongi demanded to know and Jungkook tapped his chin in thought.

“ Hmm, well maybe he didn’t mean it in a real sense of that word? After all, I know how you are, so you must have been rude and scared that guy. Maybe he meant that you were a demon in terms of your personality?” Jungkook offered, but Yoongi scoffed.

“ Yeah, right. That is too much of a coincidence then. I am telling you, that guy is trouble and I am going to find out what he wants from me and who his real boss is.” Yoongi stated determined.

“ Also, he wanted to know my name! Why in the world would he want to know that, if he didn’t have some sort of a secret agenda?!” Yoongi added, and Jungkook shook his head in exasperation.

“ Look, I know you couldn’t care less to do some actual research-but that is just how humans are!”

Jungkook stated while going to sit on Yoongi’s kitchen counter and flapping his dark red wings.

“ Get off the counter. And I don’t care what you say brat, I don’t trust the guy.” Yoongi gritted out, pushing Jungkook off the counter.

The younger demon sulked and huffed, saying “ I saw him. He looks like he couldn’t even hurt a bunny, and yet you think that he is some sort of a demon, or dark angel sent to kill you. I mean come on, I know you have been extra careful since the attack on your brother, but that wasn’t your fault and I…”

“ Jeon Jungkook, shut the up before I pull your tongue out!” Yoongi hissed as he was now hovering above the younger demon who realized that he had crossed the line with his dark brown eyes widening in fear.

“ S-sorry…But, trust me-this guy is human. That is why he asked for your name in the first place and not because he is some spy sent to get info from you. I mean my roommate was also weird at first and I was sure that he was from another planet, but then I realized that that’s who he was. Loud and clingy and well…Adorable, really. But, totally harmless. Well, except that one time when he left the stove on and almost set our dorm on fire.” Jungkook said, remembering how guilty his roommate looked and how vulnerable he seemed as he apologized, saying how his cousin always scolded him for being such a scatterbrain.

Jungkook chuckled remembering the event and how cute his roommate looked at that time that even Jungkook couldn’t resist patting him on the shoulder and telling him how it was no big deal.

Also, he chose to ignore the way his heart beat accelerated when the boy flashed him a wide smile and enveloped him in a tight hug.

Seriously, humans are so weird.

“ Just because you are a weirdo who hangs out with humans and lives with one that doesn’t mean that I am as stupid and as naïve as you. Trust me, Kim Seokjin is not as innocent as he looks, but I will give him an A+ for acting. However, sooner or later I am going to expose him for the fake he is and get to the bottom of things. And then I will deal with the person he works for.” Yoongi interrupted Jungkook’s reverie and Jungkook let out a defeated sigh.

Poor Kim Seokjin.

He has no idea who he ran into, Jungkook thought with regret, watching his demon friend’s malicious expression.

 

“ Taehyung, do I have to go? You know I love you, but I am really not in the mood to be going out…” Jin said over the phone while curled up under the warm duvet in his bed.

“ Hyuuuuuuuung, please! Every time, I wanted to introduce you to my roommate, something came up, preventing you two from meeting so I gave up trying. But, now his friend moved into the town and this would be the perfect chance for the 4 of us to go out. And who knows, maybe his friend is cute and maybe you will hit it off with him” Jin’s cousin said over the phone with that expectant voice and Jin groaned in his head.

It was true that every time Taehyung had wanted for Jin to meet his roommate, something came up.

Like when he got sick that time that they were supposed to go to dinner a few months ago.

Or when Namjoon managed to fall into the manhole ( seriously only he was capable of that) when he and Hoseok were on their first date and Hoseok called him from the hospital, completely freaking out, causing Jin to cancel the lunch with Taehyung and his roommate.

Luckily, Namjoon had just managed to break his arm that time and if it hadn’t been for that accident and for Hoseok visiting him at the hospital every day then the two of them might not even have hooked up later on.

Jin was still wary when leaving the house and even though a few days had passed since the incident with the vampire, he still wasn’t keen on leaving his apartment.

The only places he visited ever since that had happened were the University, a coffee shop he frequently visited on his way to classes and Hoseok and Namjoon’s apartment.

There was no trace of Yoongi during that time for which he was grateful.

He wasn’t sure how he would react if he met him again after everything that had happened and after the realization that Yoongi was not human.

“ Hyung? Are you still there?”

Taehyung’s deep, worried voice had him clutching the phone tighter and saying in a tight voice, “ Yeah, yeah, I am here.”

“ So, how about tonight at the COFFEELAB café?”

Taehyung asked, his voice still hopeful and Jin just couldn’t disappoint his cousin once again so he agreed, much to the younger boy’s happiness.

When Jin ended the call, he pulled the duvet over his head.

After all he couldn’t stay in his apartment for the rest of his life…

Or could he?

 

Unfortunately, he realized that his dream of staying locked up in his apartment for the rest of his life was impossible when got a text from Taehyung in the afternoon, saying how excited he was about tonight and sending him about 20 different smiling emoticons.

He let out a defeated sigh as he picked some simple outfit, dark blue jeans and a light blue button-down shirt paired up with white Adidas sneakers.

He had to look presentable in front of Taehyung’s roommate and his friend who Taehyung obviously wanted to set him up with, although Jin wasn’t really up for that.

The last thing he needed now was starting a romantic relationship when there was a creature from the pits of hell living next door and preying on him.

He arrived at the café just in time to see Taehyung flashing a flirtatious smile at the waitress, making her blush and Jin let out a chuckle of amusement.

His cousin was such a heartbreaker and a tease he thought, his smile becoming fond when Taehyung saw him, yelling “ Hyuuung!” with that adorable boxy smile gracing his lips.

Jin went over to the excited boy who pulled him in a hug so tight that had him fighting for air.

“ Tae! Tae! I c-can’t breathe!” he managed to exhale and Taehyung finally let go of him, allowing him to breathe normally.

The boy had a sheepish smile as he said, “ Sorry Hyung, I just haven’t seen you in so long…How have you been?”

Jin was thinking of a way to answer that question without revealing how his life was in danger when he was saved by the bell with Taehyung waving like a madman to someone behind him and yelling “ Jungkookie!!!” in a cheerful voice.

“ Tae, sorry we are late! It’s all Hyung’s fault!” a raspy apologetic voice said, and Jin turned around, ready to finally meet his roommate.

However, he experienced a lack of oxygen when he saw a tall boy whose smile turned into a little confused frown when he saw him, but Jin barely noticed it because his gaze was on the shorter man standing next to Taehyung’s roommate.

The guy next to Jungkook seemed as surprised as Jin felt, but of course the expression on the man’s face was replaced by a darker expression in an instant.

His pitch black eyes were drilling into his, the purple shimmer caused by the light of the candle making those orbs even more enticing.

If it hadn’t been for the guy’s lethal stare then Jin was sure that he would have gotten lost in the glow of Yoongi’s dark irises.

Jin felt something squeezing his chest and he wondered if life was ever going to give him a break…