Ten

Whispers in the Dark

Ah, I am so glad I managed to update. I will be busier in the future, so I am trying to use this weekend to write as much as I can, but this chapter alone took me hours...Anyways, I hope you like it. :)


To say that Yoongi was tired would be an understatement.

He was freaking exhausted!

Yoongi groaned in frustration when he kicked off the covers and angrily got up from his bed.

He had been tossing and turning in his bed for hours, but the prospect of sleep was nowhere in sight and yet his temples were throbbing so much from the lack of it.

After leaving Jungkook’s apartment, he tried to get his thoughts in order by flying across the wide expanse of the dark sky, but to no avail.

As if it wasn’t enough that he had to keep alert at all times, so as to not miss out on anything, any strange movement, or supernatural activity, now there was one other thought that bothered him.

Actually it was a person to be more precise.

The one human that managed to sneak into his life almost unnoticeably and now secured a permanent spot in his life here on Earth.

And he seemed to have no say in it.

Whether he liked it, or not, whether he asked for it, or not-Kim Seokjin had gone from a “potential threat” to a “strange, troublesome human” and now to a “ molester who assaulted you with his soft luscious lips and large warm eyes when you least expect it”.

Unfortunately, and much to his dismay, Yoongi was one of those unsuspecting victims.

He tried not to give it much significance after it had happened, but after his conversation with Jungkook, he was even more livid about the whole incident.

Because, Jungkook, being the brat that he is, somehow came to the idea that Yoongi actually harbored some feelings of romantic interest towards the human whose name shall not be mentioned.

Yes, Yoongi was aware that the kid only wanted to see him happy, but as to why Jungkook would think that his naive, dorky and awkward human neighbor would be the one to bring him happiness was beyond Yoongi.

Did Jungkook really think that Yoongi had time for love, or like that when he was constantly preoccupied with thoughts about how to eliminate  Jihwan and finally return to where he and Jungkook belonged, because this place certainly wasn’t it ( for Yoongi at least), and claim what is rightfully theirs by birth.

Was he not aware of the seriousness of the situation they were currently in?

After the disappearance of his older brother, he only had Jungkook left, and he was damned to let anything bad happen to the kid.

He was going to use all his effort to protect him, and get them to stop hiding and living in fear and constant worry, even if he has to sacrifice his life for it.

At least he would know that the kingdom was in good hands.

Jihwan and Jungkook might share the same blood by being half-brothers, but they were nothing alike.

While Jihwan was ruthless and driven by greed for power, Jungkook was righteous and level-headed.

Unlike Jihwan who only thought of himself, Jungkook actually thought of the greater good and the lives of others.

That part of Jungkook’s personality reminded Yoongi of his older brother so much, and he knew that if it came down to that in the end-Jungkook would indeed be fit to rule the demon kingdom that Yoongi’s father had spent decades protecting and building, right until the day he died.

So, no, he certainly had no time to squeeze thoughts of one cheeky kiss-snatcher inside of his head filled with much more important issues to be attended to.

And yet, why the hell, he cursed under his breath, was he now awake with the images of one drunken human pressing his pouty lips to his own and making him feel as if his body had been swallowed by a giant wave, rolling it around the rocky surface, before finally spitting it lifeless and wounded on the shore for vultures to feast on.

He looked out of his window, noticing the first rays of sun breaking through the crimson clouds. The sun shimmered, casting a pure golden gleam over the still sleeping city, bathing it, and giving it that sheen that it so desperately needed. Yoongi let the cool air dance delicately over his already cold skin, blending with it, making him close his eyes and exhale slowly. This was something that they didn’t have in the demon world, and even though his head was usually filled with negativity, somehow, whenever this glorious sight was in front of him, for just the tiniest moment there would be hope that a new beginning and ending was possible. One where both he and Jungkook would finally find freedom and contentment in their lives.

Then the sky would become blue, the clouds covering the sun that shone so brightly, breaking the magic of the moment as well as the smallest trace of optimism inside of Yoongi, burying it once again underneath the surface with Yoongi facing the harsh reality that that was impossible, but nevertheless, he was going to fight for it until the very end.

If not for himself, then for Jungkook.

He brought a hand to his hair, mindlessly messing it up, before going to the bathroom to get ready to head out.

After all, he had a promise to fulfill, and if anything-he was a man of his word.

Well, well, look at that, Yoongi thought, his mood darkening when he ran into none other than the culprit himself.

Kim Seokjin was standing in front of him, looking like a deer caught in front of headlights ( so nothing new there), as he was about to enter the elevator, until he saw Yoongi in it.

So, the moment of truth has arrived.

Let’s see if you will at least have the decency to be mortified about what you did, you thief, Yoongi grimly thought, as he stepped outside the elevator, still not letting his neighbor enter.

“ Going somewhere?” Yoongi spoke first, since his neighbor seemed to have lost his ability to speak.

The sound of his voice seemed to have snapped Jin out of his trance as he widened his eyes even more ( if that was even possible), before stammering a response, “ Ah, oh, yeah! I have some business to take care of!”

Yoongi crossed his arms over his chest, wondering when the apology will arrive, but he decided to give his neighbor a few more seconds to realize that by now he was already supposed to be on his knees, begging for Yoongi’s forgiveness.

“ So early in the morning?” Yoongi continued, waiting for the exact moment when it would dawn on his neighbour what he was supposed to do to try and redeem himself at least a little.

The realization didn’t seem to come to his neighbor whose eyes sparkled slightly as he cheerfully exclaimed, “ Yeah! I had some troubles with my boss, but it seems that he had a change of heart and now he wants me to come as soon as possible…”

Yoongi wanted to snort and say, “ Of course he had a change of heart after our little talk this morning. After all, demons can be very persuasive when they want to.”, but instead he said, “ Hmm, is that so?”

He fixed his neighbor with his most intense stare, tapping his foot, and feeling irked that he wasn’t being begged for forgiveness.

And either Kim Seokjin was the most clueless person ever, or he really did not remember the unforgivable thing that he did yesterday since he drank way too much, but to Yoongi’s bewilderment and utter irritation, his neighbor just nodded and asked slightly hesitant, “ Yeah, so if you could, uh-move? I don’t want to be late.”

There were so many things Yoongi could do to that ungrateful human in that moment, like burning his body in eternal flame, but instead he settled for burning holes in his neighbour’s face, giving him a bit more time to rethink his life choices, but his neighbor just fidgeted uncomfortably, giving him an apologetic look and a sheepish smile.

Finally, Yoongi huffed in annoyance, muttering under his breath, “ ing unbelievable”, before stepping aside and marching furiously towards his apartment.

And  to think that he had actually spent a sleepless night pondering on what had happened while his neighbor probably slept like a baby, since he obviously REMEMBERED NOTHING!

When the elevator door finally closed, separating him from one disgruntled demon, Jin clutched his chest and slumped to the floor, letting a sigh of relief and mumbling to himself, “ That was a close one”.

He was so shocked to run into Yoongi so early in the morning especially after receiving that call from Siwon where he practically pleaded him to come to work in the softest voice possible even saying how he will give him a raise that he just lost power over his body and voice when he ran into his neighbor.

He was so sure that Yoongi was going to see through his act with the way he was narrowing his cat-like eyes at him, scrutinizing him, and Jin sure hoped that Yoongi couldn’t hear his loud heart beat in that moment which was a dead give-away of how Jin really felt.

Luckily, he somehow managed to fool the demon, pretending how he remembered nothing about the events from the past night.

He even had to fake his surprise about his boss calling him to work again when he knew that Yoongi must have had to do something with the sudden change in Siwon’s behavior.

Of course he knew.

How could he not when he woke up with a terrible headache that gradually became even worse as the events from the previous night came back to him.

And of course, the worst of them all…

The kiss.

He actually did it.

The thing that he was only capable of doing in his dreams.

He actually kissed his crush-the demon Min Yoongi.

And he was still alive.

Yoongi did not burn him to death, although judging by his murderous stare a few seconds ago, it really seemed like he was considering that option.

God, it was so obvious what Yoongi thought about the kiss.

He probably hated it.

And Yoongi always called him “troublesome” and now Jin knew why.

And yet, he couldn’t stop the warmth spreading in his chest when he became aware of the fact that Yoongi did indeed help him about his job situation, even after Jin had forced his lips on Yoongi’s.

Jin didn’t know what Yoongi had told Siwon, but judging by Siwon’s overly sweet voice on the phone, it seemed to be convincing enough for Jin to keep his current job.

Which meant that he was not going to have to move out.

Also, it meant that he was going to have to live just 2 doors away from the guys that was simultaneously the cause for his giddiness and despair.

Not to mention that now he had to be extra careful around Yoongi, so as to not accidentally show or say how he remembered the kiss and everything from that night.

As if his life wasn’t complicated enough, now also add this to his list of problems ( with almost all of them involving a certain demon), Jin despaired.

“ Hyung, you have to come!” his cousin used his big eyes and his pleading voice as he practically hugged Jin’s knees.

Jin shifted awkwardly on the sofa of Taehyung’s apartment, patting the boy’s head and saying, “ Okay, okay, just please, get up from the floor, Tae.”

The boy complied immediately with a wide grin on his face as he practically threw himself on Jin, enveloping him in a bone-crushing hug.

“ Oh, Hyung, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!” the boy exclaimed while Jin desperately tried to get out of the embrace, his body aching from the strength his cousin used to show his immense-gratitude.

“ Okay, Tae, just let Hyung breathe. Why do you even want me to go with you? What about Jungkook?” Jin asked, still confused about why Taehyung wanted him to accompany him today to some event that Taehyung’s University was hosting.

“ Because, Jungkook has to do something with Yoongi Hyung and he is not sure if he will make it in time for the event. And I don’t want to go alone. I mean, I could, but why would I when I can take my gorgeous Hyung with me and make everyone jealous?” Taehyung said with a wink and Jin couldn’t say no to that.

Not when Taehyung spoke the biggest truth of them all about his handsome looks.

Jin got smug and said, “ Ah, flattery. You know me well, you little rascal. Okay, I will pick you up at 8 p.m.”

With that said, Jin ruffled the younger boy’s hair and left the apartment.

He wondered what it was that Jungkook and Yoongi were supposed to do…

He just hoped that it was nothing dangerous.

He didn’t want to see any one of them hurt.

As Jin waited for Taehyung to get dressed, he took the time to check his appearance in the mirror in the hallway.

He wore a super skinny black suit and a white shirt underneath. He paired it up with black oxford shoes and a simple black tie. He rarely dressed up like that, but since he concluded that this was some sort of a fancy event, he didn’t want to embarrass Taehyung by looking messy, or dressing casually.

“ I am ready! We can go!” Taehyung yelled excitedly and Jin turned around, only to find himself gaping at Taehyung in utter horror.

The boy wore light pink pants, a black T-Shirt with a white skull on it and a light blue blazer over it. His brown hair was tousled and he had a black and red checkered tie.

And here Jin was worried about embarrassing Taehyung.

“ What are you wearing?” he whispered, hoping that if he blinks enough times that the sight in front of him would change and that his cousin would at least be dressed in a one-coloured suit.

“ Do you like it?! I chose everything myself. I just can’t wear boring suits like yours although on you it looks amazing. But, it’s just that I need vibrant colours on me. I want to express my creativity and I think that everyone should wear what makes them feel comfortable, no matter what other people think. So, how do I look?” his cousin asked, beaming, and Jin didn’t have the heart to tell him what he really thought about his outfit.

Especially after that passionate speech, so he just offered him a fond smile and said, “ It looks great on you, Tae.”

And as he said it, he realized that he actually meant it.

On someone else it might look ridiculous, but on Taehyung, who was smiling brightly, his warm eyes radiating happiness, it actually looked wonderful.

“ Thanks, Hyung! I like your new hair!”Taehyung stated cheerfully and Jin smiled shyly.

He had dyed his hair this afternoon and although it was nothing drastic, he was pleased with the result.

He ran his fingers through his chestnut, silky strands, admiring the way the reddish-brown streaks peaked through his hair and shone even in the dim lights of Taehyung’s apartment.

“Thanks, I like it, too. Now, let’s go, or we will be late.” Jin said with a smile and both he and Taehyung headed out of the apartment.

The event was being held in one of the mansions of the principal of Taehyung’s University.

Seriously, the guy was filthy rich.

He had a mansion in Seoul, Tokyo and even Beijing.

To say that Jin was amazed would be an understatement.

He was blown-away.

The tall iron gates creaked as they made their way along the pebbled path lined with trees whose amber and crimson leaves swayed in the gentle breeze.

The splendor of the mansion showed the financial state of its owner.

The hallway leading from the front door to the main hall where the event was being held was spacious with oil paintings in gold frames of various famous men from Korean history hanging on the walls.

The grand hall that looked like one of those 19th century ballrooms with the chandelier made from white gold hanging in the center on the high ceiling and casting a brilliant glow on the room, was filled with people of various backgrounds and age. Jin’s shoes squeaked on the polished floor as Tae led him towards a group of young people that were dressed in a fashion similar to Taehyung’s. They were Taehyung’s friends from artistic circles and Jin suddenly felt out of place in his outfit which now seemed to be too formal since most people were dressed in bright multicolored suits. It was only him and the older people that seemed to be dressed in that look which was held to be “appropriate” for these kinds of formal events.

Taehyung tried to include him in the conversation with his friends, but somewhere between his friends discussing the difference between Pollock’s use of drip technique and the Weastern tradition of using easel and brush, Jin gave up and just sipped his champagne while intellectually nodding from time to time, although he had no idea what these people were talking about.

At some point, he excused himself, having had way too many glasses of Dom Perignon and Evian ( which was just a fancy brand of mineral water from the lake Geneva although he was satisfied enough with tap water as it was), and went in search of a bathroom.

As he was getting farther away from the ballroom-like-hall, he glanced at his cousin and saw Jungkook approaching him, in dark blue jeans, a wine-coloured shirt and a black blazer with his hair pushed away from his face. The boy smoothly placed his hand Taehyung’s lower back and he got such a loving smile from Taehyung which Jin was sure could cure cancer. He smiled to himself when he saw the subtle exchange between the two boys and thought to himself how he could now go home that Jungkook was here.

But, first, he needed to find the bathroom.

He climbed the beige stairs that led to the long hallway, similarly decorated as the one leading to the ballroom.

There were many doors on each side, but the waiter had told him before that the 4th door on the left was the one where the bathroom was.

Indeed, when he opened the door, he found himself in a luxurious bathroom that he was sure was bigger than his whole apartment. The faucets over the porcelain white sinks were golden with various scented soaps in different colours neatly placed on small mahogany tables in between the sinks. The fluffy, expensive towels were neatly sorted on the towel rack hanging on pristine white walls and Jin couldn’t stop himself from spending a few minutes to take in the magnificent sight.

Once his bladder felt as if it wasn’t about to explode, he stepped out of the toilet stall, wondering which one of those soaps he should use to wash his hands until he noticed the presence of another person in the bathroom.

He stopped walking immediately, staring at those eyes that were looking right into him, or more like through him, in the bathroom mirror.

The skin of the snow-white being would have blended with the immaculate interior if not for the demon’s prominent eyes that were so deep, like a bottomless hole, drawing you in until you felt short of breath, kind of the way Jin was feeling now as the demon held his gaze, the strands of his dark, silky hair almost falling into his eyes.

“ W-what are you doing here?” Jin finally overcame his shock, and asked the guy whose pale, long fingers were gripping the sink as the water ran from the faucet, producing the only sound in the otherwise quiet bathroom.

“ I came with Jungkook. In case he needs protection.” the demon stated flatly, before turning around to face him.

Jin quickly scanned over his neighbour’s body, taken aback with how nicely the black leather pants hugged his slim legs, elongating them while the loose light-gray T-Shirt revealed his slender neck and nicely-defined clavicles.

“ Protection?” Jin echoed, furrowing his eyebrows in worry and he was just about to ask why Jungkook needed protection when he noticed the cut on the demon’s otherwise flawless skin.

“ Your cheek! You are hurt!” Jin gasped in shock, and true to his personality, Yoongi looked at him lazily, shrugging his shoulders as if saying how it was no big deal, but Jin was having none of that.

He was in front of the slightly shorter man in an instant, quickly taking one of the towels, placing it under the stream of cold water, before bringing it towards the demon’s face.

He dabbed the cut gently, unaware of the surprised look on the demon’s face.

Once he had wiped most of the blood, he inspected the wound carefully, before nodding and saying, “ That should do it. You just need to put a plaster on it once you get home.”

In that moment, he looked at Yoongi who was watching him intently and it was only then that Jin realized how close they were since he could even count the demon’s eyelashes if he wanted to.

He noticed a slight movement and his gaze flickered to Yoongi’s small, rosy lips, his eyes following the movement of Yoongi’s tongue that had wetted his lower lip and Jin didn’t even notice that he had gulped nervously in that moment.

It was only when he heard the sound of himself swallowing that he realized what he was doing, or well what he was staring at and the thoughts of him kissing those same lips on the previous night had him flushing and stammering as he took a step back and flailed his arms while letting out a short, awkward laugh as he said, “ Ah-haha-ha, y-yeah, so don’t forget the plaster and w-well I guess I should get going.”

Yoongi observed his neighbor, wondering what the cause of his sudden strange behavior was, as well as the redness forming on his puffy cheeks.

He had been stupefied when his neighbor approached him with ease and started cleaning his wound as if he had already done that so many times before.

He stayed silent while Jin was doing that and he felt odd with how softly and carefully Jin cleaned his cut.

If he had been like that when he saw that small cut, Yoongi wondered how his neighbor would react if he knew that Yoongi was sporting a cut much deeper on his lower back where that cursed manticora had sank its sharp teeth about an hour ago.

Luckily, he and Jungkook managed to defeat it easily, but he was too careless when he pushed Jungkook to the side to prevent the manticora from hurting him that he didn’t even notice the second one jumping out of the shadows and tackling him to the ground in surprise.

The other one just ran off when they killed the first one, and due to his injury, Jungkook didn’t allow him to follow after it until taking care of his wound.

He promised to take care of it at home, but Jungkook wanted to keep an eye on him, so he dragged him here to check on his lover-boy of a roommate while Yoongi used that chance to go to the bathroom and inspect the wound.

He knew that his neighbor would be accompanying Jungkook’s roommate, but he hadn’t expected to run into him in the bathroom.

But, of course, Kim Seokjin had a way of stumbling into him in the most inconvenient times.

He had even forgotten the pain of the wound as he almost leaned into his neighbour’s gentle touch.

However, he stopped himself in time, and reprimanded himself for such an uncharacteristic behavior.

He blamed the loss of blood for his brain’s malfunction.

And then it happened.

When his neighbor finally met his gaze, and did the usual “widening of the eyes in shock”, Yoongi expected him to say something dorky like usual, but then Jin’s eyes fell on his lips.

He felt the shift in the atmosphere between them at that moment and suddenly felt really thirsty, so he unconsciously his lower lip.

He did not fail to notice the exaggerated reaction of his neighbor to that, who was now a good few feet away from him while desperately glancing towards the door as if wanting to escape from him as soon as possible.

And then it hit Yoongi.

The little remembered what he did yesterday as well as the kiss, so that was why he reacted in such a way.

And to think that he actually tried to fool Yoongi this morning with his acting.

He took in the way his neighbor was now fidgeting, his face getting as red as a tomato and with a small smirk, Yoongi thought how it was time for revenge.

“Hey…” Yoongi lowered his voice on purpose as he called out to his neighbor who looked at him with startled eyes, responding hesitatingly, “ Y-yeah?”

Yoongi started taking slow, but confident steps towards his neighbor who started backing away.

“ You know, we actually met yesterday…” Yoongi continued, still closing the distance between him and Jin, watching how fear of getting caught flashed through those dreamy, kind eyes.

“ I-is that so?” Jin answered warily, still backing away, and Yoongi smirked when Jin had nowhere to go, his back having hit the door of one of the stalls.

He used that as his chance as he was now in front of his frightened neighbor, his voice husky as he hummed thoughtfully, before placing his hand next to Jin’s head, and continuing, “ Yeah. Don’t you remember what you did to me?”

He almost wanted to burst out laughing at how comical Jin’s face looked at that moment, his mouth wide open, his eyes mimicking it.

“ N-no…” his neighbor half-whispered, half-squeaked, his voice high-pitched as if a little mouse made that noise.

“ Well, then…Maybe I should refresh your memory…” Yoongi said, emphasizing every word clearly, his voice dripping with suggestion as he leaned into Jin’s personal space, their noses almost touching, Jin’s breath smelling of blueberry-flavoured bubble gum.

He had a satisfied smile when he saw Jin’s shocked expression, but then his smirk faded away when he saw Jin’s eyes fluttering shut as he slightly raised his chin towards him and barely puckered his lips.

Yoongi’s breath caught in his throat as he stared at his neighbor and his lips that seemed really inviting at that moment.

Did Jin actually want him to kiss him?

So then the kiss yesterday was intentional??

But why?

It can’t be that what Jungkook said was true?!

That his neighbor actually cared for him and had some feelings towards him?

Now that Yoongi thought about it, the way Jin would always get flustered around him, the way he cleaned his cut, the way he seemed to care about what was happening in his life…Yoongi usually attributed that to Jin’s fear of him, or just to humans being weird like that and meddling into someone else’s business without a reason, but could it be that his neighbor actually had romantic feelings towards him?

At that thought something in Yoongi’s stomach quivered and spread through his whole body, making his palms sweaty.

His gaze once again fell on Jin’s plump lips, and he started leaning in unconsciously.

It was only when their lips were about to brush that he realized what he was doing and managed to stop himself in the last moment.

What the hell was I thinking?!

Was I about to kiss him??!

No way, I can’t deal with this now.

Not when there are various creatures after me and Jungkook, because they found out that the younger one of late demon king’s sons and his cousin were in the human world and the bounty hunt started  in order for the one who catches them and gets rid of them to earn special bounty from Jihwan.

Jin felt as if his heart was going to explode as he waited to feel Yoongi’s lips on his own.

He was petrified when he realized that Yoongi had discovered that he was lying about not remembering the kiss, but then when Yoongi asked if he wanted for him to refresh his memory, his mind went blank.

And that is why his heart took over the control over his body as he closed his eyes and expectantly waited for Yoongi to connect their lips.

That is why he was startled when he heard Yoongi’s low voice, or more like his mocking laugh as he said,

“Don’t worry, I won’t do anything no matter how eager you are. I just don’t see you in that way.”

Jin’s eyes flew open and he was met with the demon’s condescending smirk and he just wanted for the ground to open and swallow him whole.

He felt his heart drop at Yoongi’s words and he felt so humiliated.

But most of all he felt angry, since Yoongi so cruelly played with his feelings.

That is why he pushed Yoongi away, wanting nothing more than to get away from the demon.

His unexpected action surprised both of them, especially Yoongi who stumbled a bit.

Jin started rushing towards the door until he felt a strong grip on his wrist.

Why does Yoongi have to torture him like that??

First he teases him, then mocks him and now he even prevents him from leaving and saving the last trace of his dignity?!

Yoongi knew that Jin was not going to be pleased with what he did, but he was seriously enraged that Jin dared be so insolent as to push him away like that and who the hell did he think he was?!

That is why he reacted on instinct, catching Jin by the wrist and shouting, “ What the hell do you think you are doing?! Do you even know who I am?!”

However, all his anger dissipated when Jin faced him, teary-eyed, but his gaze fierce as he stared at him with so much rage, his voice hoarse as he spat out every word at him, “ Yes, I do ing know who you are! I know it very well! You are Min-Freaking-Yoongi who loves playing with people’s feelings since he obviously feels no emotions at all and thinks it’s fun making fun of other people. Well, news flash-IT ISN’T SO FUN FOR ME, A SILLY LITTLE HUMAN!” Jin finished, wrenching himself out of Yoongi’s grip and practically running towards the door and slamming them shut on the way out, the dull sound echoing in Yoongi’s ears.

Yoongi stood there for a few moments, unable to comprehend what had just happened, but he just knew that he hated that expression on Jin’s face.

A mixture of pain, anger and vulnerability.

And he hated it even more that he was the cause for such an expression.