Two

Whispers in the Dark

So, currently I am studying for exams and not going to University so that is why I had the time to finish "Head over Heels" and to start this new YoonJin fic. But, I can't promise how often I will be updating it. The good thing is that now I am already writing chapter 3, but that doesn't mean that later on I will have as much time to write...But, I really wanted to start this fic, because this idea has been in my head for a while. :)


Jin woke up the next day covered in sweat.

He groaned as the alarm clock kept beeping, the shrill sound pounding loud in his ears, making him experience a headache.

He finally opened his eyes, slamming his hand on top of the alarm clock and knocking it off the dresser.

He squeezed his eyes shut, not wanting to wake up until he remembered last night.

He sat up straight in his bed, looking around the room frantically.

Everything seemed to be in the perfect order, but he wasn’t convinced.

He searched for his phone until he spotted it lying on the floor.

As he opened the message thread with Hoseok, he frowned.

The last message was the one he received from Hoseok at 23:59.

 

From: Hobi~

23:59

Oh come on, I am sure that’s not true. You never had enemies in your life. :p

 

The message that he wanted to send how his new neighbor was a demon was not even in his drafts.

He was sure that he typed it, but then all of that happened.

He could swear that his neighbor had been standing next to his door last night, looking as if he was going to end Jin’s life on the spot.

What is worse is that when Jin tried to scream, he couldn’t find his voice.

And then everything went black.

Could it be that it was all a nightmare?

But, it seemed so real…

Is it possible that his neighbor’s threat had him so shaken up that he even had such a nightmare?

He frowned once again, thinking how he had no idea what the guy’s name was.

He got out of bed, walking towards his bathroom in desperate need of a nice, hot shower to clear his head.

He felt something getting stuck to his foot and he stared at the thing that he had peeled off his foot.

A black feather.

“ Strange…It must be from the pillow…” he murmured and shrugged his shoulders, before throwing the feather away and going to his bathroom.

 

After taking a relaxing, long shower, Jin proceeded to get dressed for class and fixed himself a quick breakfast, before leaving for University.

He was in his 4th year now and he couldn’t afford to mess up his final year.

So far he had been maintaining a high GPA in Interior Design and he was going to keep it up till the end of his studies.

As he was passing next to his neighbor’s door, staring at the number “44” he shuddered involuntarily.

Not only because he remembered the events from the previous day, but also because he thought how the number on his neighbor’s door was in accordance with the dark aura the shorter man was giving off.

After all, number 4 was considered unlucky in Chinese culture because it is similar to the word “ death”.

And his neighbor sure did look like death itself, Jin thought, quickening his step.

“ Oh, Mrs Lee, how are you today?” Jin smiled politely when he ran into his neighbor in front of his building.

The old lady smiled at him and said, “ Oh, Seokjin, nice to see you. I was just grocery shopping for this dinner that I am making for my son and his wife today. How are you?”

“ I am a bit tired, but great! I was wondering if you have met our new neighbor?” Jin asked, feeling curious about the mysterious man.

Mrs Lee furrowed her eyebrows and tilted her head in confusion as she asked, “ We have a new neighbor? I wasn’t aware…”

“ Oh, well he moved in yesterday, so no wonder. Well, I have to get going, so that I wouldn’t be late to my lecture. Have a nice dinner!” Jin smiled and waved at the old lady as he started walking towards Kookmin University.

Hmm, now this is strange.

How is it possible that Mrs Lee who always had the latest gossip and knew everything about everyone in the building had no idea that somebody new moved in on their floor.

Damn it, I thought that at least she could provide me with that guy’s name.

 Jin rubbed his temples in frustration, before looking at the watch on his wrist and cursing under his breath.

He was going to be late.

He ran towards the subway, unaware of the pale man he practically ran into, before managing to dodge him and yelling an apology not even looking back.

He had no time for that.

If only he knew that a pair of narrowed dark eyes was following him until he disappeared into the subway.

 

“ You look like you ran a marathon. And not in a good way. The way you look now is as if your soul has left your body and not like those athletes with sweat trickling down their smooth skin and toned muscles, all the way to the…”

“ O-okay, I get it-now please refrain yourself from sharing your sick fantasies with me.” Jin hissed, still breathing heavily from running all the way from the station to the University.

He really did feel as if he was on the verge of dying after the physical effort he put into getting to class on time.

The last time he did any physical activity was when they had P.E. in high school and even then he always tried to come up with excuses, so as to not have to do anything too hard.

Jaehwan, his erted, but also closest friend at University just shrugged his shoulders and said, “ They are not sick fantasies. They are normal thoughts for a healthy gay man in his 20s. It’s not my fault that you pretend to be all innocent and romantic as if waiting for some Prince Charming to sweep you off your feet when I bet that you fantasize about some guy dominating you and ing you so hard that you can’t move the next day.”

“ SHUT UP, YOU IDIOT!” Jin hissed, his cheeks heating up at his idiotic friend’s blunt statement.

“ What’s the big deal?” Jaehwan asked nonchalantly and Jin really wanted to smack him in the head, so he did.

“ OW! What the hell was that for?!” Jaehwan whined, rubbing the back of his head and Jin rolled his eyes, saying “ That is for saying inappropriate things at the sacred place of educational prosperity.”

“ You don’t even know what that means. You just like saying bull like that to seem smarter.” Jaehwan narrowed his eyes accusatorily at Jin and Jin looked at him before sticking his tongue out and winking, “ Maybe, but that’s why the professors love me and recommend me for various positions while you are still struggling!”

“ Why, you little piece of…” Jin’s friend started cursing him until a deep voice behind him said “ Watch your language, Mr  Lee. This is a place of education, and not some pub.”

Jaehwan stared with his mouth open at the professor that walked past him, entering their classroom while Jin snickered in his hand, saying “ Told ya!’

 

“Hey, I am going to meet Sandeul and we are going to grab some drinks. Wanna come?” Jaehwan yelled out after Jin when they were done with their classes for the day.

“ Sorry, have to go to work! Some other day, see ya!” Jin yelled back, already rushing through the hallways.

Even though Hoseok was right about him being able to pay the rent alone, he still needed to work for it.

His job at one of the most popular nightclubs in Seoul was indeed a well-paid job, but it was definitely not easy.

By a chance of luck when he was a second year he had a friend that offered him a job at the nightclub which his brother owned.

It was a job of being in charge of the club’s interior design and changing it from time to time, and Jin took the offer, because of the money and because he thought it would be a good work experience for his resume later on.

He expected it to be a one-time deal, but the owner was so pleased with his work that he called him from time to time to make changes to the nightclub and paid him quite well.

Tonight Jin had an easy job.

He was supposed to make just a few changes to make the place even wilder than usual.

A few neon lights here and there, changing the counter so that it is made out of glass and see-through with various fishes swimming in it as a sort of an aquarium and his job was almost done.

At first he enjoyed his job and tried really hard, but then he realized that the owner just wanted the place to be more extravagant instead of sophisticated and with taste that Jin started changing the place the way he knew his owner would like it and not the way he wanted to.

Sure, it made him feel kind of like a sell-out, but he figured that after graduating he would quit this job and find something worth his time and attention.

It took him 2 hours to set the interior of the club the way he had imagined it and he was just about to head out when the owner came to him, offering him a drink and telling him to sit and relax for a bit.

Jin wanted to refuse since he really wanted to go home and just do some binge-watching, but he knew better than to refuse his boss.

So he stayed there for about an hour, drinking a few cocktails and even dancing a bit on the dance floor although he was at dancing.

However, he was feeling light, with the alcohol running through his veins and making that pleasant buzzing sensation spread through his body.

He decided to call it a night when some guy started being pushy and tried to grind against him aggressively.

Definitely not his thing.

Jaehwan may about being a romantic, but he wasn’t sure he was.

He just knew what he wanted and what he did not want.

And what he didn’t want was some stranger pressing against him with his hands wandering all over his body.

He left the dance floor despite the guy’s protests and headed home.

It was already getting late and the streets were pretty empty.

Surprisingly, he got home in less than 20 minutes with the bus stopping right at the station when he got there.

He got to his floor and his hallway was empty.

Except for one person that was currently leaving the apartment and walking towards him.

The guy had his head lowered as he stared at his cell, and Jin wasn’t even sure that the guy had noticed him.

However, Jin sure noticed him.

How could he not when he spent most of the day thinking about him.

He started breathing heavier and he tried to calm himself down by taking a few deep breaths.

But then again how was he supposed to stay calm when the guy practically threatened him yesterday??

He lowered his head, hoping that nothing was going to happen and it did not.

The guy passed next to him as if he was invisible, and while he should be grateful for that, he was feeling the exact opposite.

Maybe it was the alcohol talking, or the fact that he was annoyed that he knew nothing about his new neighbor who was extremely unpleasant towards him the day before without any real reason that the words slipped of his lips before he had time to think about the consequences of such an act.

“ Hey! What’s your name?” Jin yelled out after the guy who was about to enter the elevator.

He wasn’t sure how to explain what he felt at the moment the guy looked up from his phone and shot him a glare that had his whole body feeling cold.

He just knew that what he did was stupid.

He blinked a few times as he watched in horror how the shorter man was taking large decisive steps towards him, closing the distance between them in a matter of seconds.

He stumbled a few steps back until his back hit his front door.

The man was now in front of him, his eyes darker than ever, almost jet black like his hair, and up-close Jin could see just how breathtaking the man really was. His complexion was like that of a porcelain doll, his face dainty, but his jaw and eyes sharp, giving it a nice contrast and a manly note. And while the man was slightly shorter and wasn’t as broad as Jin, the intimidating aura that surrounded him was more than enough to make Jin feel much smaller in his presence.

As if hypnotized, Jin stared at the way those red lips moved, the guy’s words almost like a whisper except that it was impossible to miss that angry note in the tone of his voice, making  fear flood Jin’s body.

“ Why the hell do you want to know?” were the words coming out of that small mouth, making Jin’s throat go dry.

He wanted to look away from the man’s intense gaze, but he was too scared so he managed to force himself to answer.

“ I was just curious s-since you are my new neighbor…” Jin almost applauded himself for keeping his voice relatively stable, but then the man slammed his hand next to his head making Jin flinch.

“ Oh really now?” the guy drawled in an almost lazy voice, but there was nothing lazy in the way his eyes observed Jin as if analyzing him, as if trying to figure out if he was lying.

“ Y-yes…” Jin squeaked out, his voice definitely not as stable now and judging by the sudden flicker of something in the guy’s expression that wasn’t a question he was supposed to answer.

His neighbor’s face twisted into something more wicked as he said, no, demanded, in a rough voice

 “ Who do you work for?”

Jin furrowed his eyebrows, not sure how to answer that.

Why would his neighbor care about that?

“ E-excuse me?” Jin asked, and obviously he somehow managed to piss of his neighbor even more who seemed to be losing his patience as he gritted his teeth and growled at him, “ Don’t ing play games with me! Who do you work for? This is your last chance to answer, before I burn you to death.”

Jin was at a loss for words.

He couldn’t understand what he did to be treated like this by some guy he didn’t even know.

Also, even though he did not know this guy, he was sure of one thing.

He was not someone to mess around with and Jin was sure that he was in a real life-threatening situation right now, so he gulped, before wiling himself to give an answer.

“ C-choi Siwon”

Jin watched the expression on the other man who seemed slightly confused as he scowled.

It seemed that that wasn’t the answer he was expecting.

And it seemed that he wasn’t done with his questioning as his gaze hardened again, his mouth opening and Jin was sure he was going to pee his pants from fear when he heard an angel’s voice.

Well it wasn’t an actual angel, but at that moment it sure seemed like it.

“ Jin, is everything okay?”

Both Jin and the guy turned to the source of voice coming from the direction of the elevator and Jin wanted to cry from happiness when he saw Hoseok staring at him with furrowed eyebrows and slight worry.

It was now or never, Jin thought as he found some inexplicable courage inside of himself, before slightly pushing the man away who widened his eyes for a second as if not believing that Jin even dared touch him and Jin yelled out to his friend, “ E-everything is fine! I was just talking to my neighbor, anyways bye neighbor, I have to go. Nice talking to you! Ha-ha!” Jin finished with an awkward laugh as he was rushing towards his friend who was still looking at him with caution and Jin didn’t even dare look at the guy behind him, but that did not stop him from feeling his heart drop when he heard that low, threatening voice whispering “ we are not done, Kim Seokjin.”

Jin felt weak in his knees after the warning that he was sure the shorter man was going to fulfill, but nevertheless he kept on walking towards his savior with a forced smile.

“ Jin, are you sure…” his friend started saying in a concerned voice, but Jin grabbed his hand, dragging him down the stairs instead of the elevator, hissing in a panicked voice “ not here, not now. Hurry!”

Once they were finally in Hoseok’s apartment, Jin let out a relieved sigh, before locking the door to Namjoon’s and Hoseok’s apartment three times.

“ Jin, you are scaring me…What is happening?” Hoseok asked, eyeing his friend worriedly.

“ T-that guy is insane!” Jin whispered, afraid that even the walls have ears.

At that moment Namjoon appeared out of the bedroom as well asking what is happening and Jin explained everything to them from the first moment he met that guy up until now.

Both Namjoon and Hoseok watched him with concern and he was afraid that they weren’t going to believe him, but then Hoseok pursed his lips and said, “ Maybe we should report him? After all he did seem as if he was going to attack you any moment in the hallways.”

Jin smiled slightly, grateful that his friends believed him.

“ Thanks, but there is no point in that. After all, we wouldn’t be able to prove anything and I don’t want to piss off that psycho even more.” Jin explained and Namjoon nodded.

“ Fine, but either you are staying here for the night, or we are walking you to your apartment. And also, I want to have a talk with him and tell him to back off.” Namjoon said in a low voice, and Jin forgot that despite his clumsiness when Namjoon was angry he could be quite scary.

“ Ooooh, that’s my strong man!” Hoseok exclaimed in a high-pitched voice, hugging Namjoon’s arm and batting his eyelashes at him, making Jin’s best friend flustered and Jin groaned inwardly.

He was so not staying in their apartment tonight.

He was in no mood to listen to their friends having passionate and judging by Hoseok’s and lustful look that was what was going to happen soon enough.

Jin cleared his throat, trying to snap his friends out of their daze and said, “ Thanks Joonie, but I need to take care of this myself. I am just going to avoid him and hope that nothing happens and if it does, I will call you. So, can I stay just for a bit and then you can walk me to my apartment?”

“ Of course. You know we have your back.” Namjoon stated and Hoseok nodded with a firm look and Jin grinned at his friends, his love for them growing even more at that moment.

After about an hour more at their place, Jin finally decided to go back to his apartment, not being able to stand hearing Hoseok giggling and nuzzling into Namjoon’s neck during the movie they watched.

He tried to ignore it, but when Hoseok bit Namjoon’s neck and Namjoon let out an embarrassingly loud moan, Jin took it as his cue to leave.

Although Namjoon got up to walk him to his apartment, Jin thanked him, but said that he better not be seen walking around with a and Hoseok chirped in an enthusiastic voice how he will “ get right on it” making Namjoon splutter and causing Jin to produce gagging noises while leaving their apartment.

He knew when he was being a third-wheel and also he needed to man up.

There was no way that that psycho was waiting for him or something like that.

Still, he took the stairs instead of the elevator, and peeked inside his hallway, before practically running to his apartment and locking it quickly and even placing a table next to his front door.

Just in case.

He didn’t even realize how tired he was until he entered his bedroom.

He didn’t even have the strength to change into his pajamas and he just fell onto his bed with his face down.

He groaned into his pillow, wondering if everything that had happened was a bad dream.

He was sure that it was when that familiar low voice said, “ Took you long enough.”

No, no, no.

No way.

This isn’t happening.

However, when he slowly turned around only to be met with the same sight as previous night, the man leaning against his bedroom door with a dangerous expression while not taking his eyes off him, Jin knew that he wasn’t dreaming now and that he hadn’t been dreaming the night before.

“ What are you?” Jin whispered in pure horror, his eyes glued to the figure that smirked, before taking a step towards him and saying in a voice that gave him chills, “ Your worst nightmare.”