Five

Whispers in the Dark

Finally finished this chapter~


Jin was still trying to recover from the discovery that Taehyung’s roommate’s friend was his non-human scary neighbor when the tall boy stretched his hand towards him, saying, “ Hi! I am Jungkook!”

Jin looked at Taehyung’s roommate who was giving him a friendly smile and he told himself to get a grip, before taking Jungkook’s hand and shaking it, saying in the warmest voice possible, “ Nice to finally meet you, Jungkook. Tae talks a lot about you. I am Seokjin, but you can call me Jin.”

Jungkook smiled at him nodding, but then somebody scoffed.

He didn’t even have to look to know who it was, but he still forced himself to look at Yoongi who had his arms crossed across his chest, his expression reserved as always.

The atmosphere was so thick in that moment that you could slice it with a knife.

Only Taehyung didn’t notice that as he flashed his friendly, boxy smile at the shorter man, before extending his arms towards him.

“ You must be Jungkook’s Hyung! Finally, I get to meet Kookie’s favourite Hyung! I am Taehyung, nice to meet you!” Taehyung exclaimed in a loud, gleeful voice.

Jin sneaked a glance towards Yoongi to see his reaction only to found himself getting annoyed at the shorter man who was looking at Taehyung’s extended hand with disgust, making no attempt to shake it, or introduce himself.

Jin was just about to drag Taehyung away from that rude bastard, but then Jungkook nudged Yoongi in the side, throwing him a stern look.

Surprisingly that made Yoongi roll his eyes, before letting out an annoyed huff as he finally shook Taehyung’s hand, muttering in a displeased voice, “ Yoongi.”

Both Jin and Jungkook were judging Yoongi for his impoliteness, but Taehyung didn’t seem to mind as he smiled even wider than before and said, “ Hyung, aren’t you going to greet Jungkook’s favourite Hyung?”

Only then did Jin realize that Taehyung was talking to him, and he scratched his neck awkwardly, before mumbling, “ I kind of know him already…”

“ Really? How?” Taehyung exclaimed, curiosity flickering in his eyes.

Because he is a mothering jerk who has threatened me more than once and a complete psycho, Jin thought, but instead quietly said, “ He is my new neighbor…”

“ Wonderful!” Taehyung clasped his hands in excitement as he continued, “ That must mean that you have a lot to talk about and get to know each other better!”

Jin made a horrified face at that suggestion and he could see Yoongi’s expression hardening while Jungkook let out an awkward laugh, before saying, “ So, shall we sit?”

After they were seated in the far corner of the café with Taehyung sitting next to him on the velvet sofa while Jungkook and Yoongi sat on the other one across them, a silence ensued.

Jin was trying hard not to look at Yoongi who was seated opposite him and he busied himself by staring intently at the menu and trying to pick his drink.

That only managed to last for a few minutes before the waitress came and took their order.

Without a menu in hand, he started looking around the café although he could feel his skin crawling.

He knew that the man across him was observing his every move, but he tried not to think about it and pretended how a photo of coffee spilling from a cup hanging on the wall behind the counter was the most interesting thing in the world.

“ So, how did you and Yoongi Hyung meet? Did you bake cookies and bring them over to his apartment like you do almost every time you meet someone new?” Taehyung asked beside him and Jin felt his whole body going rigid.

Jin meet Yoongi’s gaze and as he expected, his eyes were narrowed, warning him to keep his mouth shut.

“ U-uhm, well…I…Uh…We…The thing is…” Jin started stuttering as he tried to come up with some sort of a lie when thankfully Jungkook cut in and said, “ Oh come on Tae, those are boring questions. So, Tae tells me that you study Interior Design-what’s that like?”

Jin diverted his attention to Jungkook who was staring at him and he seemed genuinely interested in Jin’s studies, so Jin offered him a small smile, feeling relieved that he didn’t have to answer Taehyung’s question about his first( unfortunately not last) encounter with Yoongi.

“ Oh, it’s hard, but I like it a lot. It can be really stressful when I experience a lack of creativity, or inspiration, but when I do manage to envision how a place should look and put it on the paper, well I don’t know how to explain it. It’s just so amazing watching an idea come to life, especially when it is your own and then I feel that everything before, all the blood, sweat and tears that went into the realization of that idea were worth it.” Jin responded, a dazed smile on his lips as he thought about the satisfaction he feels every time he has the chance to decorate a place the way he wants to.

“ Wow… Sounds awesome. I feel the same way about singing.” Jungkook responded and Jin looked at him in surprise.

“ You sing?” he asked and watched the boy ducking his head, a light blush on his cheeks as he nodded in confirmation.

“ Yeah Kookie has a beautiful voice! Jin Hyung also loves singing!” Taehyung added with a large smile and Jungkook looked at Jin with wonder.

“ You do?” Jungkook asked and it was Jin’s turn to feel a bit bashful as he shyly responded, “ Yeah, but it’s just a hobby.”

“ So, did you go to a music school? Maybe I have heard of it?” Jin asked and Jungkook started fidgeting awkwardly.

Maybe, he shouldn’t have asked that question?

But, Jin supposed that if Jungkook was rooming with Tae who was at the University of Arts that Jungkook must have had some previous musical education.

After all, they didn’t let just anyone enroll at Tae’s University that was quite prestigious.

“ Uh…Well, actually I…” Jungkook started saying nervously when a deep voice cut him off stating, “ Jungkook is a natural.”

Jin met Yoongi’s eye who was currently wearing a grim expression and Jin felt really small in that moment with Yoongi practically saying how Jungkook had a talent in singing unlike him.

“ Well, Jin Hyung is natural too.” Taehyung added in a proud voice and Jin turned to look at him, his chest filling with love for his adorable cousin that was smiling supportively at him and  “ Bless this sweet child”, Jin thought.

However, when he looked at Yoongi it was obvious that he was not of the same opinion as he was currently glowering at him.

Jungkook cleared his throat once again, before asking, “ So, can you sing something? I would love to hear your voice.”

Jin looked away, feeling his throat go dry.

He disliked singing in front of others.

It brought back bitter memories from the past and he had developed sort of a stage fright.

The only times he sang was when he was under the shower, or for Taehyung and his family, but that was before.

Back when he had confidence in his singing skills.

Back when he thought that that was what he was going to be doing for the rest of his life.

Back when he still dared to dream.

But now that he was aware of how things really were, of the harsh reality of life, he stopped singing.

He hadn’t let anyone hear him sing for more than 4 years already.

And he wasn’t too thrilled about doing that now in front of strangers, especially in front of the person that would probably use that to humiliate him even more, to make him feel worthless like he felt so many years ago.

He wasn’t a masochist really, but also he didn’t know how to reject Jungkook’s request without seeming rude.

Luckily for him, his cousin came to rescue as he added, “ Jin Hyung sings like an angel, but only in private. He doesn’t like performing in public.”

Jin shot Taehyung a grateful smile until he heard the man across him scoffing and stating, “ That is what all those without self-confidence say.”

He stared at the guy across him who was so full of himself and there’s only so much a man can take.

And in that moment Jin had reached his limit.

“ off you arrogant jerk. I will sing.” Jin spat out coldly, his gaze unrelenting even when Yoongi widened his eyes in shock that Jin actually dared talk back to him, before his eyes became as dark as night, his voice rough as he spat out in a challenging manner, “ Then come on. What are you waiting for?”

The two boys next to them were silent and Jin could see Taehyung looking at him with worry.

However, no matter how fast Jin’s heart was beating in his chest, no matter how nervous and scared he felt to be singing in front of people again, he swallowed down his fear, thinking how he wanted nothing more than to make Taehyung proud of him, and to make Yoongi eat his words.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, before parting his lips, letting the words slip out.

It’s not that I believe it
But that I want to try holding out

 

At first he started in a shaky voice, but then he could feel the emotions building inside of him with all these years coming to surface, and he let go completely.

He needed to get this out of his system, he needed to finally have a closure.

His voice got more stable as he let the painful words flow easily.


Because this is all that I can do
I want to remain
I want to dream more
Even so, what I’m saying is
That it’s time to leave

Yeah it’s my truth
It’s my truth
I will be covered with wounds all over
But it’s my fate
It’s my fate.

 

When he stopped singing, for the first time in a long time, he felt as if he could breathe normally.

The song he had written after leaving SM, more than 4 years ago when they told him that he was going to be a visual in a band, and that no matter how much he tried, he was just never going to be good enough as the rest of the members in their band, contained all of the emotions he felt during those hard times as a trainee.

 

And now that he finally sang it out loud, he felt that he could move on from his unfulfilled dream of being a singer.

After all, he had another passion where he was appreciated and considered worthy of pursuing such a career.

 

A career in interior design was his future and he finally realized that he hadn’t regret quitting SM and enrolling in Kookmin University.

 

All he did was change one passion for another.

 

One dream for another.

 

That did not make him a failure.

 

No…He was definitely a winner.

 

He was lucky enough to have found two things he was so passionate about while some people spend their whole lives searching for just that one thing to keep them going, to make them feel complete.

 

And he was fortunate enough to have found two.

 

Finally, he knew that and he stopped feeling like a failure for the first time ever since he quit being a trainee.

 

Who knew he had that jerk of his neighbor to thank for provoking him and finally making him face his fears.

 

“ I am speechless…”, he heard Jungkook’s voice and he opened his eyes, staring at the boy who was looking at him in awe.

 

“ Hyung, you really are an angel!” Taehyung added, and Jin felt his cheeks heating up at the praise of the two boys.

He knew that he shouldn’t bring his mood down by meeting Yoongi’s eye, but he couldn’t contain his curiosity.

 

He had expected for Yoongi to be glaring at him and to throw some insult at him, how he was not good enough or something like that, so he was left breathless when he saw the expression on his neighbor’s face.

 

Yoongi’s lips were parted and formed in a slight “ O”, his dark eyes slightly lighter as they stared at him in…Wonder? Disbelief? Jin couldn’t quite figure out what it was, but he knew that it had him feeling strange.

 

He was having a hard time breathing properly and he couldn’t look away from Yoongi’s eyes.

 

Yoongi seemed to have realized that they have been staring at each other for too long as he blinked and flinched, before rubbing his neck and looking away.

 

He got up abruptly and when Jungkook asked him where he was going, he grunted “Bathroom” before moving through the café at such speed that he was already gone after Jin blinked twice.

 

Jin lowered his head, bringing his hand to his chest, feeling his heart going wild.                           

 

However, this time it wasn’t out of fear.

 

It was a different kind of sensation, and he could feel his palms getting sweaty and his cheeks getting warmer by each passing second.

 

What the hell?!

 

“What the hell,” Yoongi muttered under his breath, staring at his reflection in the bathroom mirror.

 

.

 

Even his eyes weren’t pitch black like usual, and all because of that guy...

 

What in the actual had happened back there?!

 

It was true that Yoongi did not find enjoyment in many things other than sleep, and maybe a good cup of coffee ( something they didn’t have back in the demon world), however, there was one thing that kept him going ever since he was a child.

 

Music.

 

He was only 6-years old, a small prickly demon-kid with black hair, even darker eyes and pale skin that shone even brighter than the Moon when he experienced a true moment of joy for the first time in his otherwise shielded-life.

 

It was one of those rare moments when his father, the Demon King at that time, had travelled to Earth to take care of some business, only to return with something Yoongi had never seen in his life.

 

His father had entered his room that day, ruffling his hair fondly, thinking that Yoongi was asleep, whispering “ Happy Birthday, kiddo~”, before placing something on the pillow next to him and leaving his bedroom.

 

It was only after a few seconds when Yoongi was sure that his father was gone that he dared open his eyes.

 

His father rarely showed affection and maybe that was the reason why Yoongi could never deal with it well, turning him into an emotionally constipated person most of the time, or well, just plain blunt to be honest.

 

He remembers staring at the unknown object next to him, before sitting up and taking it into his shaky hands for closer inspection.

 

“ I don’t know why, but I felt like it was time for me to give you this. Call it instinct, if you will. Plug it in that device. Those are headphones and that black thing is called an mp3 player. I bought the headphones years ago and music is what kept me sane in some critical moments. Hope it will do the same for you. Oh and music is that sound that you will hear.” is what the sticky note attached to that dark blue strange object with two large round circles said.

 

Little Yoongi did as his father told him and clicked the button in the middle of that black, square, thin thingy.

 

It was at that moment that he found something that truly fulfilled him.

 

Music, as his father called it.

 

The unfamiliar sound echoed in his ears, and he closed his eyes, letting himself get immersed in that feeling of excitement and curiosity.

 

As he listened to the “song”, a term he found out soon enough by asking his father about it, various images appeared before his eyes.

 

Images he had never seen.

 

Objects and shapes floating in front of him, changing colours, taking him to a new magical place, away from his life, away from the loneliness he felt every day as a child.

 

A child that everyone feared, and respected and yet worshiped and wanted to get closer to.

 

Too bad that it was the greed and desire for privileges what led them to be nice to him whether they liked him or not.

Even when he openly showed his dislike of them and their slimy ways, they would laugh it off and up to him.

 

He hated it.                  

 

He got a life that he didn’t ask for and all because of what?       

 

Because his father just couldn’t keep it in his pants and his mother didn’t seem to mind giving birth to two sons, saying how everything was going to be alright because “love is what was going to keep them strong”.

 

Oh how wrong she had been, Yoongi now thought bitterly, his eyes slowly going back to their usual depth of darkness.

 

His mother’s decision to keep both him and his brother, despite it meaning that she doomed them to a life of constant fear, lack of freedom, solitude, and now running away, was something he thought was regretful ever since he was a child.

 

If only she had not chosen to give birth to them then maybe none of those things would happen.

But, it was too late now.

 

If anything, Yoongi could always find a little bit of salvation in his passion.          

 

Music is what kept him going, and it was the only thing he remotely looked forward to when he decided to settle in the human world for some time.

 

So, how in the world was it that that guy, that…that…whatever he was…managed to make him feel the same rush of excitement, wonder and pure bliss just by opening his mouth, singing in such a...well to hell with it-such an angelic voice, the raw emotion, the pain in his tone as it cracked a few times, but got confident and steady along the way, caused him to see images once again just like he did every time he closed his eyes while listening to a particularly touching song?

 

How was it that he could clearly imagine a bird wanting to fly out of a golden cage, but there was already something stopping it, and no matter how much it wanted to escape, it couldn’t, because it knew it was destined to lead such a life, regardless of what it wanted… It knew what its fate was…But the bird wanted to dream of freedom…At least for a while longer…

 

“ To with it all”, Yoongi cursed under his breath, exiting the bathroom.

 

It had been exactly 20 minutes since his neighbor had looked at him in such shock as if Jin had managed to somehow peek into his soul ( which was probably completely black) and stormed off to the bathroom.

 

Jin kept looking at the clock, while trying to respond to Jungkook’s questions about his life.

 

But, how was he supposed to do that when he was feeling so on edge?

 

Where in the world was Min Yoongi, why did he react in such a way, and most importantly why in the hell was Jin so bothered by all of it?

 

After 10 more minutes had passed, Jungkook decided that they should probably go since it was clear that Yoongi blew them off.

 

To Jin’s surprise, and relief ( which is an emotion he had no idea why it flooded his body at that moment), Yoongi was standing outside the coffee shop, with his back against the brick wall, his hands in the pocket of his jeans, dark strands of hair falling over his forehead as he seemingly stared into nothing.

 

Jin hated to admit it, but even by doing nothing at all, Yoongi somehow managed to look breathtaking.

 

“ Hyuuung! What the hell?! Why are you here?” Jungkook whined in frustration while Yoongi just shrugged his shoulders and started walking, not even sparing Jin a glance.

 

They fell into a silence with Yoongi going slightly ahead of them, Jungkook a few steps behind, Jin immediately behind him and the only noise heard in that quiet night was of Taehyung loudly munching and slurping on his popsicle behind him.

 

While the silence was heavy, so much that Jin felt as if he needed an oxygen mask just to breathe normally, it was much better than what happened next when Taehyung unfortunately opened his mouth.

 

“So, Yoongi Hyung are you a demon like Jungkookie?” Taehyung asked, in a careless manner, as if it was an everyday thing.

 

Yoongi halted, his shoulders tense as he turned around abruptly, his droopy eyes now extremely sharp, his lips pressed in a tight line, his knuckles going white with how hard he was clenching his fists as he was staring murderously at Jungkook.

 

Jungkook seemed to be apologetic as he rubbed his neck awkwardly, muttering, “ What? I didn’t tell him about you. But, we have lived together over a year so of course he knows about me. And he is not stupid so he came to a logical conclusion.”

 

Yoongi kept his gaze poisonous, hissing, “ so ing troublesome”.

 

“ D-demon?!”

 

Jin surprised even himself with the way his voice came out, barely above a whisper and sort of a choked sound really.

 

His eyes were wide as he stared at the pavement.

 

A demon.

 

His neighbor was a demon.

 

Taehyung’s roommate was a demon.

 

How did it slip his mind that Jungkook had to be a non-human as well if he was friends with Yoongi?

 

I mean who in the world would be friends with a tiny figure that was so intimidating all the time,  giving off dark vibes with his threatening glare and of-ing-course he had to be a demon!

 

Jin thought that he was the devil, so should he be relieved that Yoongi was a demon?

 

Was being demon something better?

 

Something less scarier?

He finally looked up and got his answer as he met Yoongi’s emotionless orbs staring at him, boring into his soul.

 

Devil would be better.

 

His heart was going crazy and he was feeling short of breath.

 

It was too much.

 

All of it was too much.

 

Too bad he did not get time to think it all through, when a blood-chilling shriek echoed in his ears.

 

 “ Kookie, watch out!” Taehyung yelled in horror, and Jin saw the metal block from the corner of his eye falling towards Jungkook at the speed of lighting.

 

Since he was the closest to Jungkook in that moment, his body reacted on his own, pushing the boy out of the way with all his might.

In the next moment he felt a sharp pain in his right hand and a loud thud next to him.

“ Hyuuung!!!” he could hear Taehyung’s desperate voice and he opened his eyes, his hand instinctively coming to rest on the painful spot on his right arm.

“ Tae, are you alright?” Jin asked in concern when his cousin was in front of him, his eyes wide and anxious.

“ I am fine, but what about you? You are bleeding!” Taehyung exclaimed in fear, and it was only then that Jin noticed the blood oozing from his right arm.

The metal block must have grazed him when he pushed Jungkook out of the way.

Jungkook!

He turned around in panic, noticing the boy who was on the pavement, his eyes wide as he was blinking at him.

“ Jungkook, oh God, I am so sorry! Are you hurt? I didn’t mean to push you so hard…” Jin started apologizing as he rushed towards the boy who still seemed as if he was in shock.

Jin got a bit startled when the boy got up and closed the distance between them in a matter of milliseconds, placing his hands on his shoulders.

“ You saved my life…And got hurt because of me…Why?” the boy spoke in a dazed voice and Jin frowned.

Maybe, he hit his head when he landed on the sidewalk to be asking such a silly question?

“ What do you mean why? That’s a normal thing to do for anyone in danger. Besides you are Tae’s beloved roommate.” Jin said with a warm smile and he chuckled when he heard Tae muttering “ Hyung, stop it” and saw how red his cousin’s cheeks were.

So cute.

Suddenly he felt a bit uneasy as if being watched and he looked at Yoongi who was now standing next to Jungkook, but he could not figure out his expression at that moment for the life of him.

 Unlike his usual angry expression that he had whenever their eyes met, this one Jin couldn’t quite decipher and that had him feeling slightly flustered so he looked away quickly.

“ I will take Hyung to the hospital. Kookie, maybe you should get checked too?” Taehyung finally broke the awkward silence which Jin was thankful for.

His hand was starting to throb painfully.

“ I am fine, Tae. Me and Yoongi Hyung have to take care of something and then I will come to the hospital, okay?” Jungkook said in a slightly serious voice and Taehyung seemed surprised, but nodded anyways taking Jin by the hand and tugging him towards the opposite direction.

Jin threw one last glance at Jungkook who seemed to be fully concentrated on what Yoongi was currently telling him in a hushed voice, and then Yoongi glanced at him, making Jin widen his eyes in shock, before turning his attention to the road in front of them.

It was weird.

Yoongi was acting strange.

He looked as if he didn’t totally hate him now, and if Jin thought that then he must have already lost a lot of blood to be having such ridiculous thoughts.

 

“ So, you think someone did this on purpose?” Jungkook asked while flying next to Yoongi.

“ I am almost positive. I saw a dark shadow at the top of the building when the metal block fell to the ground. However, I was too distracted that I didn’t react in time to catch him. !” Yoongi cursed, as he flapped his wings, landing on top of the building in search for any traces that would lead them to Jungkook’s attacker.

“ Don’t beat yourself about it. Thankfully, Jin Hyung saved me, although I still can’t believe that he did that for me. Especially, because now he knows what we are. At least now you know that he is definitely a human and not an enemy or a spy.” Jungkook remarked thoughtfully.

Yoongi narrowed his eyes at him, saying “ Let’s not rush to conclusions. Yes, he is human judging by the smell of his blood, but he might be an enemy anyways.”

Jungkook looked at him in disbelief, before saying, “ Come on-he saved my life! What more proof do you need?”

Yoongi clicked his tongue in annoyance, before replying “ Maybe that was all part of the plan for him to gain our trust and then stab us in the back. Don’t you find it a bit suspicious that he is precisely the cousin of your roommate? It is too much of a coincidence and I don’t believe him, nor your roommate. Someone might be using them to get to us.”

“ Hey! Tae is not a spy! I know it!” Jungkook spat out, his eyes flaring with rage and Yoongi looked at him in surprise thinking how this was bad.

The kid is already led by emotions and not thinking straight.

That was what he was afraid when he let Jungkook come here a year ago.

But what other choice was there?

This was the only way to protect Jungkook.

“ Let’s just find whoever did this,” Yoongi stated, fully aware that he wasn’t going to accomplish anything by arguing with Jungkook when he was like this.

The kid was just too damn stubborn!

 

After 3 exhausting hours at the hospital, Jin was finally released.

Luckily the wound was not that serious and he just needed a few stitches.

It still hurt like , though.

Why in the world did he refuse those painkillers they offered him, he lamented his stupid decision in his head.

True to his word, Jungkook came to the hospital quickly.

Jin wasn’t sure why, but he was slightly disappointed that Yoongi wasn’t with him, although he knew that there was no way Yoongi would come because of him.

After all, it’s not like he cared about him?

Yoongi resented him.

Jin just wasn’t sure why he was having such a hard time accepting that fact.

Was it because nobody had ever been so hostile towards him?

Everyone always loved him and praised him for being affectionate and caring, saying how he was like their second mom.

And while most guys would be offended by that, it warmed his heart when people complimented him like that.

He did always have a bit of that motherly instinct that made him take care of others.

That is probably why he didn’t even think twice, before saving Jungkook from getting hurt tonight.

Even though Jungkook was a demon, and Jin should probably be worried that his cousin is living with one and being so chill about it ( seriously Tae had no sense of self-preservation), he couldn’t bring himself to think like that.

Not when he had seen the way Jungkook had been looking at Taehyung in the hospital, checking to make sure if he was okay with Tae chuckling, his eyes glinting as he stared at Jungkook with the equal amount of worry and love.

Demon, or no demon, it was obvious how much Jungkook cared for Tae and that was enough for Jin.

They had walked him back to the building although he insisted that he was fine, but Jungkook said that it wasn’t safe for him to be walking alone that late at night.

Jin barely managed to bite his tongue, preventing himself from saying “ yeah well your demon Hyung is much worse and much more dangerous”.

As he went out of the elevator, going down the hallway on his floor, he suddenly felt so worn-out.

He couldn’t wait to get to his bed.

He was so sleepy that he almost didn’t register the quiet voice reaching his ears.

Almost.

“ What did they say?”

Jin blinked a few times to fight off the sleepiness that was threatening to knock him unconscious any second now.

Instead he found himself a few feet away from Yoongi who was leaning on the wall next to his apartment door, arms crossed against his chest, his gaze lowered.

“ What?” Jin whispered, wondering if he was already in his bed, dreaming.

Yoongi looked up, his eyes still jet black, but there seemed to be no loathing in them.

In fact they seemed…Calm?

Which was a first, at least when it came to the way Yoongi looked at him.

“ I asked about your hand…What did the Doctor say?”  Yoongi asked again, raising his hand and gesturing towards him vaguely.

A few moments passed, before Jin started looking around himself frantically.

“ What the are you doing?” Yoongi snapped at him, his voice low and slightly agitated.

When Jin looked at him again, Yoongi’s eyebrows were slightly furrowed at him, that familiar frown on his face, his eyes seemingly asking “ the hell is wrong with you?”

 However, Jin could only say what was on his mind right now, in a completely serious voice, “ Is this a hidden camera?”

Yoongi’s frown deepened as he opened his mouth and asked, “ A what? What are you talking about?”

Jin went on to explain, “ You know-like a prank? People waiting with cameras, ready to jump out and yell:” This is all prank, and you Kim Seokjin are a naïve idiot who fell for it all! Did you actually think your neighbor was a demon? HA! Good one! And did you actually think that vampires really existed? Oh, you silly boy! You have yet much to learn! The metal thing was not planned, but now at least you know that your neighbor is an actor, because there was no way that Min Yoongi, a demon with a murderous glare and even deadlier thoughts would ever think of asking you how you were!”

Jin finally finished what he had to say, breathing a bit faster from having to reenact the voice of a spokesman that was supposed to jump out and tell him that there was no such thing as creatures that were not human, and there was no such thing as somebody hating him and threatening him every chance he got, especially not the handsome guy living on his floor, making his stomach churn in that sort of weird way every time they encountered each other.

Yoongi was now looking at him as if he had gone completely mad, before he rolled his eyes and started shaking his head.

“ You are so weird.”

And then he went to his front door, without glancing at Jin.

“Oh, I am the weird one, yeah right”, Jin mumbled under his breath, realizing that unfortunately he was still stuck in this nightmare.

He walked towards his apartment door, not even looking at Yoongi’s back while passing next to him, because that , and he was about to unlock his front door, using his wounded hand out of habit to unlock it when he winced in pain and the keys fell to the floor.

“ Damn it”, he cursed quietly, annoyed that his hand was going to be a problem for a while.

He was just about to bend down and pick them up when a whiff of cold ear slapped his cheek.

He couldn’t even blink from shock, because now he was face to face with Min Yoongi.

They were so close that Jin could feel Yoongi’s breath fawning over his lips, and it took all of his willpower to suppress the shudder crawling up his spine.

Hm, Yoongi was almost the same height as him, Jin noticed.

He felt paralyzed, pinned to the floor by the sheer intensity of those eyes that were observing him, as if trying to read his mind, enter his heart and soul and bare all of it, in search of something…Something that Jin had no idea what it was, but he would gladly let Yoongi do all of that, let him find what he was so desperately searching for every time they saw each other. He wanted Yoongi to find it and to realize that no, Jin does not want anything bad to happen to him and he is not after him. Why can’t Yoongi realize that??

He was snapped out of his thoughts by the drawl of Yoongi’s voice.

Seemingly lazy and yet calculated in its smoothness and carefully picked out words.

“ I still haven’t figured out what your deal is, and I must admit that you are quite a mystery. I don’t trust you, especially when there are too many connections for all of this to be a coincidence, but…”

But what?!

Jin wanted to know so badly, his voice stuck in his throat.

Yoongi searched his face once more, and Jin wanted to give him whatever it was that he was searching, to scream out-“ I am not the enemy!”, but he could barely breathe, let alone say something.

Yoongi seemed to have found nothing as he continued, “ …but the fact is that today you saved Jungkook. Whatever the reason is…I am…”

You are…? What?!

Oh my God, can’t he finish the goddamned sentence already, Jin screamed out of frustration in his head.

Yoongi seemed to be struggling with what he wanted to say, frowning, and slightly biting his lip, a movement Jin followed, before he heard Yoongi taking a deep breath, finally pushing that last word out of his mouth.

“grateful…”

Jin couldn’t believe it.

He and Yoongi spent a few more seconds staring at each other, and they were so close that if Jin leaned just the slightest bit he could…No, God, where did that come from?!

But, before Jin could continue beating himself over his last thought, he let out a startled gasp when something cold hit his hand.

He looked down to his healthy arm which now held the keys from the floor.

As he blinked, Yoongi was already gone from his sight.

But, the slight brush of Yoongi’s icy fingers on the back of his hand as the pads of his fingers grazed over Jin’s knuckle in a fleeting moment, enough to coax it to open and place his keys on his palm, before disappearing, was something Jin was not going to forget in a long time.