Fifteen [END]

Whispers in the Dark

, this was bad, Yoongi thought with a scowl as he easily broke the neck of the lower-class demon that had just tried to sneak up on him.

The demon’s body fell to the ground in front of him and Yoongi just stepped over it, looking around and assessing the situation for a brief moment.

The stench of the blood spread around them like the plague.

They were surrounded by corpses with lifeless eyes staring into nothingness, their once functional wings now at awkward angles, feathers of various dark colours scattered on what was once a graveled path lined with thin, tall trees whose top boughs were flecked with golden leaves.

Now, the path has become soaked with blood of the fallen enemies as well as allies, the branches of trees cracked, the leaves amber hues turned into a crimson shade.

And yet, they were still not close enough.

The army that had followed him and Jungkook back to the demon world mostly consisted of high-class demons that had once served his father, but fled to the human world, just like him when they realized that Jinhwan’s army outnumbered them.

They were still outnumbered, but what Yoongi’s army had was skill and experience in combat, while Jinhwan’s army consisted mostly of lowlife demons that wanted power and wanted it fast and Jinhwan had promised them that after he gets coronated.

Which, if Yoongi didn’t hurry, would be happening in no less than 15 minutes.

Yoongi was  rapidly progressing with his men towards the castle that in this few months that he had been in the human world, or well, few weeks that he has been away in demon world time, became unrecognizable.

The place where he had lived almost his whole life, the place that he had called home, was now far from it.

The once smooth, spangled rock was crumbling from the high walls surrounding the castle that were now scarred.

The high, rectangle windows once framed with eternal fire, a spell created by his father, were now extinguished along with his father’s life, instead emitting darkness, consuming the entire demon world and making it succumb to Jinhwan’s will.

The walls that had once provided safety for him and his family currently seemed sinister, as if they had eyes, following every movement of his while he and his army made their way towards the main entrance of the castle.

He needed to get inside as soon as possible and stop Jinhwan’s coronation that was going to take place on the 2nd floor of the castle in the great hall where all of the important events in the demon kingdom took place.

Of course, just as he thought, Jinhwan and his father were now aware of their presence since a great number of their followers awaited for them in front of the entrance.

“SHOW NO MERCY!!!” Yoongi growled to his men and Jungkook, before he spread his wings and dived right into the core of Jinhwan’s forces.

Yoongi had lost count of how many demons he had already slashed, and his limbs were aching, the blood from his wounds staining his snow-like skin, but never once did he falter.

He could hear the shrill screams everywhere, and only those of his people were the ones that made his blood run cold.

The ones that belonged to Jinhwan’s army didn’t have any effect on him.

After all, they were all traitors.

The ones who betrayed his father who had provided them a comfortable life, but they were always thirsty for more.

More power, more wealth.

More, more and more.

No, he had no sympathy for such scum, he thought coldly as he slashed yet another one’s neck., eliciting a cry of pain that made him feel even more motivated to stop all of this and remove the cause of the ruin of his father’s once prosperous kingdom.

“Prince Yoongi, now!”, the commander of his father’s army had yelled, making him look ahead.

Finally, there was an opening, and if he flew fast enough he could make it in time to enter the castle and stop the coronation.

He turned around and nodded to the commander and he was just about to fly to the entrance at full speed when he noticed something out of the corner of his eye.

Jungkook was on the other corner, giving all his best to fight against three demons at the same time, but he didn’t notice the shadows approaching him.

Yoongi frowned when he realized what the creatures that were getting nearer and nearer to Jungkook were.

Beasts.

All sorts of beasts lingered in the domain between the human world and the demon kingdom and his father thought very lowly of them.

It was because they were unscrupulous and ready to kill just about anyone if given what they asked for.

And usually they asked for human sacrifices.

The human flesh was their favourite food that made them stronger and Yoongi always shivered at the thought.

His father was one of the very few kings that existed in the demon kingdom who opposed to killing humans, or harming them in any way unless they attacked first for some reason.

That had always displeased the beasts, but they were too weak to go against his father when he was the king.

But now, with Yoongi’s father gone and Jinhwan and his father using any means to gain power over the kingdom, it was no wonder that they stooped so low as to employ the help of these lowly creatures in achieving their ultimate goal.

The creatures looked grotesque, with scars all over their hunched form and long horns twisting and protruding from their forehead.

Even though they were relatively weak when compared to the demon’s strength, they were fast.

“ JUNGKOOK, WATCH OUT!!!” Yoongi screamed when he saw one of the beasts right behind Jungkook, raising its deformed hand with sharp claws protruding from their crooked fingers, ready to strike.

Yoongi knew that Jungkook would not be able to react in time to defend himself, and even though he knew that Jungkook would kill him for putting his life before the lives of the citizens of the demon kingdom, Yoongi couldn’t help himself.

Maybe that is why his father always told him that despite his cold exterior, Yoongi was still led by emotions which was a great strength, but to be a king, other than being compassionate, you needed to think of the well-being of the people, before the lives of the ones you loved.

His older brother could do it.

But, Yoongi could not.

Maybe that was why Jungkook was now screaming his name in a choked up voice.

Yoongi would chuckle and tell him, “ Sorry, kid. But, I care too much about you.”, but the pain was ripping him apart as he coughed up blood, closing his eyes for a moment.

A kind face with warm eyes and plump lips stretching into a gentle smile flashed through his mind and he felt sorry that he couldn’t keep his promise.

Jin woke up in the middle of the night with a startle.

He looked around his bedroom bewildered.

He was breathing fast, and he couldn’t calm down.

Something was wrong, he could feel it.

He jumped out of the bed, looking around his bedroom.

There was nothing out of the ordinary, but he felt as if there was a huge rock on his chest in this moment-suffocating him.

Maybe it was a nightmare, but he could have sworn that it was real.

He wished it wasn’t though.

Because, if it was then that meant…No, it wasn’t true, he told himself.

He clasped his hands and started praying for Yoongi and Jungkook to be safe.

He felt so helpless and he hated it.

He knew that he wouldn’t be able to fall asleep again, so he went into the living room.

He sat on the sofa, and looked at the small creature next to him.

He ran a hand softly through the silky fur and got a response in form of a purr.

The little fluff-ball got up and settled in his lap, looking at him with large eyes.

“Meow~”

Jin smiled sadly and said, “ I know. I miss him too.” , before bringing the kitten to his face and burying his nose in the soft fur.

He didn’t even notice when the tears started streaming down his face until Trouble the salty liquid from his cheek.

“ Don’t worry. He will be back. He promised.” Jin said in a shaky voice, although after what he had dreamt he became even more unsure of Yoongi’s words.

Jin stopped counting the days from Yoongi’s departure.

It had been too long already.

Well, for him at least.

He knew that the time passed slower in the demon world.

Yoongi had told him once that a month in a human world was an equivalent to about a week in the demon world.

It had probably been more than 4 months already since Yoongi and Jungkook left the Earth, and there was still no news of them.

During that time, he became a shell of his former self.

He rarely smiled and at first he tried to force himself to be happy when he was around his friends, but he couldn’t.

All he could think was Yoongi.

He didn’t even know if he was alive and it kept eating him from the inside.

In the end, Namjoon and Hoseok had become so worried about him that he decided to tell them everything.

He knew that they might think he was crazy when he told them that Yoongi was a demon and went over everything that had happened between them until Yoongi had to go back to the demon kingdom, but he didn’t care.

He just needed to get this off his chest.

He had lied to his friends long enough.

Surprisingly, when he told them everything, his friends stared at him for a while with unreadable expressions until Hoseok broke the silence and said in a serious voice while nodding his head in a knowing manner, “ I knew that guy was no human. Otherwise, how would you explain his flawless complexion and perfect hair all the time? I mean no human could always look so well put together.”

“ That is how you figured it out? Seriously, babe…” Namjoon said in an exasperated voice while Hoseok protested making Jin laugh sincerely which was a rare occurrence ever since Yoongi had left.

God, he loved his friends.

Namjoon and Hoseok tried to cheer him up, but it was futile.

The only person in front of who he tried to fake cheerfulness was his younger cousin who looked like a ghost ever since Jungkook left.

He got skinnier and his once healthy appearance was replaced by a sickly colour of his skin.

His eyes seemed void of any emotion and Jin knew how he felt, but he couldn’t let Taehyung lose hope, even though he was the one losing it with so many weeks passing without any news of Yoongi and Jungkook.

About a month ago, Taehyung finally snapped at him.

“ Hyung, enough! I know you feel the same like me, so just STOP IT! STOP IT!!!!”

Taehyung had never raised his voice at him in his whole life, and Jin was stunned in that moment.

He wasn’t sure what to say, but then his baby cousin broke in front of him, sobbing and saying, “ I am sorry, I am so sorry… It just hurts so ing much.”

Jin pulled him into a tight embrace immediately and said, “ I know, Tae. I know. But, Jungkook wouldn’t want you to be like this. Come on, just try. For him, okay?”

Jin had to use the Jungkook card even though he didn’t want to play on such an emotional blackmail, but he was worried to death about his cousin.

Luckily, Taehyung actually agreed and said he would try.

He still acted like a living zombie, but at least he ate and attended his classes and Jin couldn’t ask for anything else.

After all, he also led a robotic life.

Wake up with images of Yoongi running through his mind, get dressed, have breakfast, attend lectures, eat lunch, fed Trouble a few times a day, talk to it about Yoongi while caressing it then go to sleep with thoughts of Yoongi.

From time to time, Jin would sleep over at Taehyung’s apartment just to make sure his cousin was alright and also because he was more at ease when he was beside the younger boy.

So, like always, he left Trouble at Hoseok and Namjoon’s and forbid Hoseok to let Namjoon anywhere near it, so as to not accidentally fall on the kitten considering he was the King of Clumsiness.

Namjoon just sulked at his comment, not even trying to deny it since he knew Jin was right.

When Jin was in front of the door of Taehyung’s apartment, ready to unlock them since he had a spare key, he stopped for a moment.

He heard another voice coming from the apartment.

Was it possible that Taehyung brought a friend over?

Jin really hoped that that was the case, because it would mean that maybe, just maybe, Taehyung was feeling a bit better.

He unlocked the door to the apartment, but his heart almost stopped when he saw the taller boy that was currently caressing Taehyung’s cheek while looking at him lovingly.

Jin stood there frozen, barely being able to whisper, “ Jungkook.”

The two boys immediately got startled until they saw it was just him and relaxed.

“ Hi, Hyung.” , the dark-haired boy smiled widely, and Jin’s heart skipped a beat.

Jungkook was safe.

Taehyung was happy again.

Thank God.

However, his heart pounded loudly in his chest as he said, “ What about…” , he wanted to say Yoongi’s name, but he couldn’t.

Especially when Jungkook’s expression fell as he bit his lower lip worriedly.

Jungkook looked up at him with sad eyes and Jin felt as if the room was spinning.

“ Hyung, he…” Jungkook’s voice cracked and Jin felt dread take over his body.

So, that’s it, huh.

Jungkook was going to say that Yoongi didn’t make it.

And that Jin was never going to see that grumpy expression.

He was never going to see the demon rolling his eyes at him.

He was never going to hear that low voice that made his knees go weak.

What about that smirk that always left him flustered?

Or how about that small, fond smile Yoongi had when he lied next to him on the bed, talking about his childhood?

Not to mention that rare gummy smile that Jin managed to elicit from the grumpy demon a few times and felt as if his heart was going to burst from happiness when he managed to do that.

But now, he was never going to see all of that.

He was never going to touch Yoongi, to kiss him, to feel protected in the demon’s arms.

He felt his whole world crumbling and the last thing that he had heard were Jungkook’s and Taehyung’s voice calling to him worriedly, before the darkness consumed him.

When Jin opened his eyes, he felt hollow.

He stared at the ceiling, his mind a blank.

Well, actually only one thought was present.

Yoongi was dead.

He wanted to cry, but what was the use?

It wasn’t going to bring the man he loved to him.

“ Hyung, you had us worried!” Taehyung’s voice made him look at the boy sitting next to his bed.

He stared at his face, and he felt glad that Taehyung’s eyes sparkled once again now that his boyfriend came back to him.

He also felt sad, because he knew that his own eyes would never have that glimmer again.

“Kookie! Hyung is not saying anything, he is just looking at me-lifeless. I am scared!” Taehyung quickly said when Jungkook came in the bedroom.

Jin felt Jungkook place a hand on top of his and he stared at the boy who was frowning as he said, “ Hyung, it’s not what you think. Yoongi Hyung is not dead.”

Jin felt the adrenaline coursing through his body as he tried to apprehend what Jungkook had just said.

He his dry lips, and weakly said, “ What?”

“ He is not dead. He got badly hurt, though. He tried to protect me in a battle when we went to stop Jinhwan’s coronation. However, he is much better now. Luckily, we had a skilled demon healer on our side who managed to patch him up in an instant which was enough for Yoongi Hyung to lead us to final victory. We were able to stop my half-brother’s coronation and he is now in a highly secured jail in the demon world. Yoongi Hyung killed his father, though. The bastard got off easily considering that he killed my uncle and held my mother captive for a long time without anyone knowing.” Jungkook said through gritted teeth, but all Jin could think about was-“ Yoongi was alive!”

He sat up slowly, his voice impatient as he said, “ But, where is Yoongi, then?”

Jungkook once again had those sad eyes and Jin felt uneasy.

“ He had to stay. After all, with his brother still missing, he is the rightful heir to the demon kingdom. He didn’t want to get coronated just yet, but he had to stay in the demon kingdom. My aunt is back there too, helping him along with my mother. I wanted to stay longer and help him, but he shooed me away since he said he was getting annoyed with my kicked-puppy face which was his way of saying-‘Go to your boyfriend, you idiot and be happy.’ ” , Jungkook said with a smile as he squeezed Taehyung’s hand who smiled at him.

But, Jin couldn’t smile.

“ Can you take me to him?” Jin blurted out and Jungkook looked at him with wide eyes, before giving him an apologetic look.

“ I am sorry. I can’t. The only one who has the power to open the portal between the demon world and the human world now is Yoongi and he closed it after I came here. He said that he couldn’t risk other creatures invading the demon kingdom until it got back on its feet. And who knows how long that will take. Also, even if the portal was opened, I still wouldn’t be able to get you there. No human has ever stepped in there and I wouldn’t be able to guarantee your safety” , Jungkook said in a quiet voice and Jin just felt as if he had trampled all over his heart.

Yes, Yoongi was alive and he couldn’t be happier, but their happy ending doesn’t exist, huh?

Jin gulped, before whispering, “ Did he at least tell you to say something to me? Some last words?”

Jungkook bit his lip again, before shaking his head apologetically and Jin felt his heart sink.

Oh.

So this is really it, huh?

He was grateful that Taehyung and Jungkook left the room when he started weeping.

He really wanted to be alone in that moment which was ironic since he had never felt more alone in his life.

Life went on, even though Jin didn’t.

He was functioning better, though, since he knew that Yoongi was alive and well.

He avoided spending much time with Jungkook and Taehyung, because even though he was happy for them, they were also a painful reminder of what he was never going to have with Yoongi.

This morning, Jin got up on the wrong side of the bed.

His alarm clock didn’t beep and now he was late for class.

His hair was a mess, his dark circles probably more noticeable than ever and he was obviously clumsier than ever since he tripped on something as soon as he left his apartment.

“ What the hell…” he muttered under his breath as he took the thing he tripped on in his hand.

A pair of large dark blue headphones.

Just like the ones…

“ Missed me?” a familiar voice said, and Jin’s breath got stuck in his throat.

He didn’t dare look up from the headphones he was now gripping tightly in his hand.

He swallowed hard, before bracing himself to look up.

When he did, he was met with a pale man who was now sporting silver hair, his light brown eyes twinkling while that familiar teasing grin danced at the corners of his lips.

Jin’s heart thrummed loudly in his chest.

“ You are back…” Jin whispered, unable to convince himself that this was really happening.

The silver-haired male smiled gently, his voice gentle as he said, “ Well, I am a man of my word.”

Then he extended his hand towards Jin and Jin just stared at it.

It had been exactly 8 months since Yoongi left him with a promise of coming back.

And now, here he was, fulfilling that promise.

He smiled widely, before taking the hand and immediately intertwining his fingers with Yoongi’s, his voice cracking as he said, “ Welcome home, neighbor.”

Yoongi smiled back with that gummy smile as he pulled Jin up.

Then he frowned slightly as he said, “ Are those tears of joy, or of misery that you have to deal with your difficult demon of a neighbor?”

“ What do you think, you idiot?” Jin chuckled, his voice strained as he tried to wipe his tears, before Yoongi stopped him.

His expression was fond as he said, “ Let me.”, before he swiped his thumb over Jin’s cheeks, and Jin couldn’t believe that Yoongi was touching him again.

“ This isn’t a dream, right?” Jin asked in a shaky voice, his eyes closed as he leaned into Yoongi’s touch.

“ No. I am back.” Yoongi said with a smile.

“ For how long?” Jin opened his eyes and asked, staring at the demon whose cheeks were slightly rosy as he said, “ For as long as you will have me.”

Jin smiled and said, “ Forever it is, then.”, before he connected their lips together and felt as if he was truly alive again.

Jin didn’t go to class that day.

He spent the whole morning with Yoongi cuddled up next to him and Trouble on the couch, listening to Yoongi talk about everything that had happened in the demon world.

In the end, Yoongi managed to found his brother who was turned into a slave, well more like Jinhwan’s father had placed a spell on him to force him obey some demon lords, so he couldn’t return to the kingdom even if he wanted to.

When Yoongi finally tracked him down, he wasted no time in killing those Lords which finally broke off the spell and made his brother a free demon once again.

His brother got coronated soon after and Yoongi knew that was the right thing to happen.

After all, he wasn’t cut out to be a demon king and he didn’t want to either.

All he wanted to do was to spend the rest of his life in the human world with Jin.

His mother, older brother and aunt were all in the demon world, but that wasn’t his home anymore.

Surprisingly, maybe it had never really been his home with how guarded he was all the time.

In the human world he was happy.

In the human world, there was a certain someone with his kind eyes and even kinder smile, shaking his whole being with this emotion so strong that made him believe he could even fly without wings whenever that person was next to him.

So, he had to go back.

He wanted to.

Yoongi had told him all of that with such a loving voice and stare that made Jin flustered and happy beyond belief.

Maybe that was why he couldn’t hold himself from throwing himself at Yoongi and smashing their lips together.

The demon seemed even more willing than him to do that as he squeezed his , while on the sensitive skin on his neck and groaning against his neck, “ I ing missed this so much.”

“ A-ah!” Jin could only whimper and gasp at Yoongi’s words, his mind going dizzy with the way Yoongi was kissing him, so fiercely and yet somehow with such care at the same time that made Jin’s pulse quicken with the fuzzy feeling spreading all over his body

The way Yoongi was kissing the curve of his neck over and over made Jin’s heart race as he ran his fingers through the demon’s silver hair that somehow made Yoongi even hotter which Jin thought was impossible until he saw him.

Jin’s lips parted as soon as Yoongi’s tongue flickered over them and the demon grunted as he slipped his tongue inside of Jin’s mouth, wondering how he managed to survive without kissing his human for so long.

For 8 ing weeks he had to go on and live his life without knowing how Jin was doing and yet all he could think about was him.

And now that he was finally here, reunited with Jin, he was sure that he was never going to leave unless Jin asked him to.

But, judging by the way Jin was pulling him closer while excitedly kissing him back and swirling his tongue around Yoongi’s, making the demon kiss back more hungrily, he had nothing to worry about.

“ Yoongi” Jin moaned when Yoongi nibbled on his ear and Yoongi took the time to remember everything about Jin in that moment.

The way he was breathing rapidly along with his parted, kiss-swollen lips.

His messy silky hair and dilated pupils.

The way his voice sounded so wrecked when his name.

All in all, it was a breathtaking sight that Yoongi could never get enough of.

“ I knew I was right.” Yoongi said and Jin looked at him in confusion.

“ Huh?” he cutely said and Yoongi grinned, saying, “ You are definitely not a human. You are an angel.”

It took Jin a few seconds to register what his boyfriend had said, before he groaned and threw his hand over his face, “ Oh my God, you did not say that! Where in the world did my always cool and cold demon boyfriend disappear to?” Jin whined, but Yoongi did not miss the blush spreading on Jin’s neck and ears and his gummy smile appeared as he said, “ You killed him with your adorableness. Now you have to deal with me.”

And with that comment he could see how Jin had flushed even more and he chuckled in amusement, before removing Jin’s hands from his face.

“ I hate you.” Jin muttered under his breath, not meeting his gaze, the pretty blush dusting his cheeks.

“ You love me and you know it.” Yoongi teased with a -eating grin, his breath hitching as Jin looked at him so lovingly and whispered, “ Yeah, I really do.”

A few seconds passed in silence, before Yoongi’s gaze softened completely as he earnestly said, “ Same here. I love you, Kim Seokjin. And I have loved you that day as well when you first yelled at me how you loved me from the top of the roof. And it was so unfair, because it took all of my willpower not to turn around, take you in my arms and just fly away with you. So, now you know.” , and with that he leaned in and caught Jin’s lips over and over until they were both out of breath with happy smiles gracing their lips.

Finally, life gave him a break.

Both him and Jungkook.

And he couldn’t have asked for more.


I can't believe that I have finally finished this story. I must say that I am extremely pleased with how it turned out. I actually had most of this ending written even after the second chapter and I just needed to write the rest, hehehe... I am really pleased that my writing went smoothly with this story and that I never had a writer's block with this plot. I think that among the YoonJin fics that I have written so far-this is among my favourites. Anyways, as always-thank you for being such lovely and supportive readers and I hoped you enjoyed this story. ;)