Fourteen

Whispers in the Dark

Jin sat on the sofa in Taehyung’s and Jungkook’s for what seemed like hours.

He felt paralyzed and ever since Jungkook announced that they had to go back to the demon world and fight, Jin went silent.

He just didn’t know what to say at that moment.

Yoongi seemed shocked as well by Jungkook’s sudden statement at that moment and Jin thought how he had never seen Yoongi so shaken up.

However, the demon quickly regained his composure, before lightly squeezing Jin’s arm and sending him a look that carried so many emotions that Jin felt as if he was suffocating.

He could see his reflection in Yoongi’s eyes at that moment and he knew that they both thought the same thing.

The short period of their blissful time together was about to end.

And what was worse was that there was a possibility that it may end for good.

Jin tried to dismiss that thought that made him feel numb on the inside.

Instead, he forced himself to glance at his younger cousin who was sitting next to him.

Ever since Yoongi and Jungkook went to Jungkook’s and Taehyung’s bedroom to discuss the details of their return to the demon world as well as the attack on Jinhwan that they were planning, both he and Taehyung sat in the living room without uttering a word.

What was there to be said, really?

They both knew this was coming and they both knew what it meant.

It meant that they may never see the ones they loved.

He had never seen his usually bright cousin wearing such a crushed expression on his handsome face, and Jin felt his chest tightening.

After all, he felt the same, but then again Taehyung and  Jungkook had been together for much longer than him and Yoongi.

They even lived together and he could only imagine what Taehyung was feeling.

He knew that there was no word of comfort he could offer to Taehyung since he could not be comforted either, so he just scooted next to his younger cousin, placing his hand on top of Taehyung’s.

Taehyung looked at him at that moment with a glazed look and Jin squeezed his hand and smiled sadly.

And that is when Taehyung broke.

He started sobbing loudly, burying his face in Jin’s chest and Jin did his best to calm the younger boy, by patting his hair and kissing his forehead.

‘ Shhh, I know…” Jin whispered softly in Taehyung’s hair, his voice cracking slightly and if this continued, he was sure that he was going to break as well.

And he didn’t want that to happen.

He wanted to be strong for Yoongi.

He didn’t want to burden the demon with his feelings when Yoongi had so many other, more important things on his mind now.

He was still cradling his cousin in his embrace when Jungkook and Yoongi finally came back to the living room.

When Jungkook saw Taehyung in such a state, he rushed to him immediately.

“ Tae, baby, what’s wrong?” Jungkook asked in a worried voice.

“ K-kookie, I don’t want you to die!” Taehyung managed to utter those words through hiccups while tears kept streaming down his face.

The younger demon’s gaze softened, but Jin could see pain and sadness in those eyes.

Jungkook took Taehyung by the hand, leading the boy towards their bedroom.

“ Come on. Let’s get you cleaned up.” Jungkook said softly, before the two younger boys disappeared into their bedroom.

Jin was too afraid to look into Yoongi’s eyes even though he could feel his presence behind him.

He was scared that if their gazes met, he wouldn’t be able to stop himself from being like Taehyung and he didn’t want to inconvenience Yoongi with his human outburst of emotions.

After all, Yoongi was always the tougher one, so he wanted to try and be strong as well.

If only it wasn’t so damn hard to do it when he practically felt as if his heart was being split into two parts.

He didn’t even move when he felt the couch cushions dip next to him when Yoongi settled himself there.

He couldn’t bring himself to meet Yoongi’s gaze.

“ Jin…”

Yoongi’s voice was so soft, barely above a whisper, but it was enough to make Jin’s whole body tremble with sorrow.

He felt his eyes moistening and he blinked a few times to chase the forming tears away, but it was no use.

When Yoongi gently placed his finger beneath his chin, so that Jin would finally look at him, it was too late.

Large, salty drops were running down Jin’s cheeks as he silently stared at the pale demon next to him.

Yoongi’s eyes glistened while his lips were pressed in a tight line and Jin wondered if Yoongi was going to tell him to stop crying and man up.

But, this Yoongi, the real Yoongi and not the so-called “emotionless” one that he liked to pretend to be, did something unexpected once again.

His gaze softened as he brought Jin into a tight hug and Jin quickly wrapped his hands around Yoongi’s waist while burying his face in Yoongi’s shoulder.

Yoongi’s fingers running through his hair made him whimper and sob uncontrollably, and he felt sorry that Yoongi’s T-Shirt was now soaked with his tears, but he couldn’t stop himself.

Once Jin was sure that there were no tears left inside of him, he decided that it was time to release Yoongi from his deathly grip.

He didn’t want to, but he made a motion to pull back only to be brought back into Yoongi’s warmth by the demon himself.

He widened his eyes in surprise and he was just about to voice out his confusion when Yoongi murmured in his ear, “ Just a while longer. Please.”

Jin’s heart raced and he was sure that he was going to start crying again.

Instead he closed his eyes, nodding and inhaling Yoongi’s scent.

He wanted to treasure this moment forever.

Jin wasn’t sure for how long he and Yoongi stayed like that, just absorbing each other, before Jungkook and Taehyung finally returned to the living room.

It was only then that Jin and Yoongi reluctantly disentangled their limbs from each other.

They stared at each other, no words necessary.

Nothing they said could change what was happening.

Jin could only hope that this was not the last time he saw Yoongi.

“ Hyung…The army is already near the gates. We should get going.” Jungkook’s voice was grim and broken.

Jin watched Yoongi who closed his eyes, letting out a sigh and murmuring, “ Yeah.”

He sounded so defeated and Jin felt the same.

He turned around and saw Taehyung clinging to Jungkook’s arm, his eyes puffy and empty.

At the back of his mind, Jin told himself that he was going to do everything in his power to keep them going when Jungkook and Yoongi are gone.

He had to do that.

After all, he was supposed to be the Hyung and Taehyung needed someone to rely on.

And honestly, Jin did too.

Yoongi stretched his hand towards him and Jin took it.

They walked to the roof with their hands intertwined while Taehyung and Jungkook were behind them.

This was it.

The time to say goodbye.

Jin could feel his heart in his throat and suddenly it was hard for him to breathe.

Yoongi must have seen how distressed he was, because once they were on roof he brought him to the side, away from Taehyung and Jungkook who were standing facing each other, quietly exchanging what Jin guessed were words of encouragement and love.

“ I need you to promise me something.” Yoongi said, and Jin looked at him, still not letting go of his hand.

“ Anything.” Jin answered quietly.

“ I need you to not get in trouble and to take care of Trouble.” Yoongi said, and Jin frowned.

“ Was that an attempt in cheering me up?” Jin asked, and the corners of Yoongi’s lips slightly curled upwards.

“ Because, if it was, I have to tell you that it was lame.” Jin mocked, almost breaking into a giggle when he saw the offended look on the demon’s face.

God, he was so going to miss that face, that tsundere personality and most of all he was going to miss Yoongi.

And everything that he was.

“ I promise.” Jin finally said even though Yoongi was still sulking about his little insult.

Yoongi probably noticed the seriousness in his voice, because he knitted his eyebrows while brushing a strand of hair from Jin’s forehead.

Jin closed his eyes and leaned into the demon’s touch as he quietly said, “ And I need you to keep your promise.”

Yoongi’s hand stilled on his cheek, and Jin didn’t dare open his eyes.

Yoongi sighed, before cupping his face and saying in a thick voice, “ If I manage to survive, I will. I don’t know how, or when, but I will. But, I don’t want you to wait for me. I want you to live your own life, and be happy. Please.”

Jin opened his eyes and stared at the demon in front of him.

The rims of Yoongi’s eyes were red as he looked at the ground, finding it suddenly much more interesting than Jin.

Jin took a deep breath, before he said in a stern voice, “ I will take your word for it. I will also wait for you. As long as it takes. And don’t you dare say anything, or I swear, I will fight you right here and now.”

Yoongi looked up with wide eyes and had his lips parted in protest, but quickly closed them when he saw how there was no arguing with Jin about this.

Instead he cracked a grin and said, “ Always going against me, huh? Silly human.”, and before Jin could say something, Yoongi had already pressed their lips together.

Jin immediately melted into Yoongi, allowing him to take all of him, to remember all of him while he did the same.

He tried to carve into his memory the feeling of Yoongi’s slightly cold lips pressed against his warm ones.

He traced his finger over the smooth skin of Yoongi’s cheek while relishing in the way Yoongi was currently nibbling on his lip with his hand on his hip, pulling him into even closer although there was already no space between them.

Jin trailed his fingers over the perfect lines of Yoongi’s petite, but firm form, enjoying Yoongi’s tender lips.

Their breaths were shallow every time they pulled away slightly, before leaning in simultaneously to drown in each other once again.

Over and over, their lips kept moving until they were both well out of breath.

It still wasn’t enough.

It would probably never be.

It was only when Yoongi finally pulled away, his thumb brushing Jin’s cheek that Jin realized he was crying yet again.

He could feel the warm liquid dripping down his cheek and stopping at the corner of his lips.

The salty taste of his tears was replaced by a soft peck of Yoongi’s lips there, drinking up his tears and making Jin’s heart ache.

“ Yoongi.”

Jungkook’s voice made them break eye-contact as they looked towards the younger demon behind them.

Jungkook’s wings were already spread and the time has come.

Yoongi nodded to his cousin, before catching Jin’s gaze one last time.

“ Take care, my troublesome human.” Yoongi said with a chuckle, but Jin knew that Yoongi forced that chuckle.

He could sense the weight of Yoongi’s words and he nodded, pressing his forehead to Yoongi’s.

“ Be safe, my cranky demon.” Jin whispered with a sad smile.

Yoongi pressed his lips to his own one last time and Jin’s lips tingled when they finally broke apart.

“ I can’t look back, or I might not leave if I see your face.” Yoongi said in a choked up voice and Jin’s lips quivered as he said, “ I wish I could go with you.”

Yoongi looked at him with a fond gaze, before saying, “ I am glad you can’t. I wouldn’t bare to see you hurt. Like this, at least I can leave knowing that you are alive.”

Jin felt sorrow seeping into his body and consuming it as he watched Yoongi spread his wings and join Jungkook who was already at the edge of the roof.

Jungkook e last time to wave at Taehyung, before spreading his wings, but Yoongi didn’t look back.

Just like he said.

Maybe it was better that way, because Jin wasn’t sure if he could stop himself from begging Yoongi not to leave him.

However, he couldn’t stop himself from opening his mouth when Yoongi and Jungkook were already in the air and he had no idea if Yoongi could hear him, but he squeezed his eyes shut and screamed at the top of his lungs, “ I LOVE YOU, MIN YOONGI!!!!!!!”

When he opened them, the sky was clear.

“ They are gone, Hyung.” Taehyung said in a teary voice, his hand on Jin’s shoulder.

They were gone and Jin didn’t even know if Yoongi had heard him.

Yoongi was gone, maybe forever, and Jin didn’t even get to tell him that he loved him properly.

A hollow feeling spread through his chest causing him to fall on his knees and cry into his hands.


I am sorry that this short chapter was nothing but sad...:(