Chapter 26

The Next Generation

It's been months since Namjoon and their group left the capitol, and though Doyoung kept them up to date with what they were doing thanks to his orb, Jin couldn't help but worry for them. He wanted some sort of physical contact, maybe one day a letter would come for him. Jaehyun was the only one who really understood Jin's predicament. He had also been a part of their group before Namjoon sent him off to train. He didn't have any sort of contact with them until Jin and Taehyung showed up.

Jaehyun stood on the balcony of his apartment, leaning over the railing. Jin came over, standing beside Jaehyun. "What's up? You seem sad," he said. "Just thinking of home," said Jaehyun. "What happened after I left?" He asked, turning his head to look at Jin. "Mm," said Jin. "Nothing really happened," he said as he stared off into the distance. "It was quiet for a while, the civil war started a year after you left, and Kookie lost his childhood innocence within a month of it starting," he said, sighing. "He had to kill someone to save Hobi from getting stabbed," he said. "Mm," said Jaehyun. "We didn't want to get involved with the rebels, but Hobi got dragged into it when Namjoon got attacked while going home one night," he said.

"What made you guys come over to this kingdom?" Asked Jaehyun. "It was Namjoon's decision to send us first," said Jin. "They brought us over the border and left us to go to the capitol," he said. "They said they'd come find us after the war ended," he said. "I don't think they were expecting help from EXO," he said. "I guess it helped them some because they were ready to give up before Mark showed up at the northern borders with Daehyun and his group," he said. "I wonder what happened to them after we sent them back?" Asked Jaehyun as he looked down at the street, his sense of smell picking up on Mark's scent. "Hi Hyung!" Mark said waving. "Come on up," said Jaehyun. Mark nodded and went into the apartment building.

Jin went to open the door for Mark as Mark knocked on the door. "What's up Mark?" Asked Jaehyun as he went inside. "Taeil's cooking tonight, he asked me to invite everyone," said Mark. "Sure, we'll be there," said Jin. Jaehyun nodded. "Taeyong getting the ingredients?" He asked. "Yeah," said Mark. "Doyoung-hyung is heading over there in a bit," he said. "Just came to invite you, I have some stuff to do," he said before leaving.

Jin and Jaehyun exchange glances before shaking their heads. "So what made you come here with Taehyung?" Asked Jaehyun. "Other than Namjoon sending us? Well we wanted to find you," said Jin. "I mean we adopted you into the family, I was the worry wart but Taehyung wanted to go find you too," he said. "You're like a little brother to us, Kookie's twin even if you're older than him by 7 months," he said. Jaehyun chuckled, scratching the back of his head.

A couple hours later Jin and Jaehyun headed over to Mark's shared apartment. Mark opened the door, grinning when he saw them. "Hi hyungs," he said. "Hey Mark-ah," said Jaehyun. Mark moved to let them in before closing the door behind him. "Hey Jaehyun, Jin-hyung," said Doyoung from his spot at the coffee table. "Playing some more Monopoly?" Asked Jaehyun. "No, we're playing Life," said Mark as he went back to sit down at the coffee table. "Where'd you get that game?" Asked Jaehyun as he sat down on the couch. "I found it while looking through the market district for new board games," said Doyoung.

"Your turn hyung," said Mark as he looked at the cards he had. Doyoung spun the wheel. "10," he said, before moving his car forward. "Okay, this is a crazy game," he said, laughing some as he had to pick a new house. Mark held out the list of houses. "I'll go with that one," said Doyoung as he grabbed a card. "Oh come on, 500k for a house?" He asked, pouting. "Gotta grab a loan hyung," said Mark as he grinned. Doyoung sighed and nodded for the loan. Mark gave him the loan bills. "Where's Taeyong and Taeil?" Asked Jin. "The kitchen," said Mark. "They got dinner prepped, just cooking now," he said as he spun the wheel. "5," said Mark as he moved his car forward. He landed on on a spot. "Woo, 3 paychecks and 50k!" Said Mark. Doyoung sighed. "How come you always end up winning these things Mark-ah?" He asked. Mark grabbed the money, laughing. "Well," he said, shrugging. "I guess going certain routes work," he said.

"Dinner!" Called Taeil. Mark and Doyoung get to their feet before running into the kitchen. Jin shook his head and Jaehyun cracked a smile before getting up and going into the kitchen. Jin went after him. Mark and Doyoung went to sit at the coffee table to finish their game while Taeil and Taeyong sat on the couch. Jin and Jaehyun sat beside Taeil watching Mark and Doyoung play the game.

Doyoung's orb summoned by itself and he looked at it wondering what was up. Mark looked at it, then at Jeonghan who started growling. "We need to go," said Doyoung as he stood. "What's up?" Asked Mark as he stood. "We can finish dinner later, Taeyong grab your sword," said Doyoung. Taeyong got up and ran into his room, grabbing his sword and Mark's bow and bag with quiver attached, giving it to Mark. Mark put the bag on while strapping the bow to it. Jaehyun made sure he had his knives and nodded. Taeil went into his room, grabbing his sword and strapping it to his back. "Where to?" He asked. "The gates, we have company," said Doyoung as he rushed out of the apartment. Everyone else followed after him.

Mark grabbed his bow with an arrow pulling the string back slightly as he attached the arrow to the string. He stayed back as Taeyong, Jeonghan and Jaehyun moved to the front. Taeil stayed back but not as far back as Mark. "Who's there?" Said Taeyong. No one got this close to the capitol without getting passed the outposts. "It's us," yelled a familiar voice. Mark tilted his head to the side. "I think the kid would know," said Daehyun as he came into view. "It's Daehyun," said Mark. "What do you want?" He asked. "We came to warn you," he said. "Of?" Asked Mark. "We had to run from EXO, our king is planning an attack," said Daehyun. "Your friend Jungkook was at the southern outpost, he can speak for us," he said. Doyoung nodded. "I heard Chen talk about that," he said.

"We come as refugees," said Daehyun "Youngjae and Jackson don't want to be a part of the first attacking group," he said. Youngjae and Jackson nodded in agreement. "We'll take you to our queen," said Taeil. "Mark, go with them, you know them," he said. Mark nodded. "I'll go with Mark," said Jin and Taeyong. "Alright," said Taeil. Mark nodded and took Daehyun and company to the palace with Taeyong and Jin.

"So EXO is going to plan an attack?" Asked the queen after Daehyun explained everything. "Yes your highness," said Daehyun. "I didn't want to be a part of it so we ran," he said. "You said Jungkook could back your story?" Asked the queen. "Yes," said Daehyun. "Same with Doyoung," he said. The queen nodded. "Okay," she said. "I'm going to let you stay for the time being," she said. "Only because you weren't there for any of the attacks that happened," she said. Daehyun nodded. "You have to be escorted around by the guard, but it shouldn't be too big of a problem should it?" She asked. "No your highness," said Daehyun as he bowed. "Dismissed," said the queen. Daehyun, Youngjae, Jackson, Mark, Taeyong, Jeonghan, and Jin bow before leaving the throne room.

"You guys interrupted our dinner," Mark said with a pout. "Sorry," said Daehyun as he scratched the back of his head. "Come on, I think the others went back to our apartment," said Taeyong before he headed back. The others went with him.

 

~



Jungkook stood on the wall of the southern outpost, his orb summoned. Baekho and Suho were both in their animal forms, ready for the incoming attack. "We have to defend this as best we can," said Namjoon as he joined Jungkook up on the wall with a bow. Yoongi also joined them, while Taehyung and Jimin were on the ground, ready to fight along side Baekho and Suho. "How much farther?" Asked Yoongi. "Xiumin says they should start coming into view soon," said Jungkook. "Get ready," he said as he felt the coldness at his fingertips. "On my mark," he said as he jumped down from the wall to join Taehyung, Jimin, Baekho, and Suho.

Namjoon and Yoongi drew back the strings of their bows, ready to fire as the enemy came into view. "Now!" Shouted Jungkook as he slammed his hands into the ground sending up ice spikes that went towards the enemy. As soon as that happened Namjoon and Yoongi started firing arrows to give their comrades cover while Taehyung and Jimin ran forward with their swords. Suho and Baekho ran forward towards the enemy both snarling and growling as they took down the enemy. Jungkook suddenly felt heat at his fingertips and smiled. "Thanks Ren-hyung and Kris," he said as he moved his arms in a waving motion, a flaming tornado forming and being sent towards the enemy to cut them down.

"We need to retreat!" Yelled Taehyung as they were pushed back towards the outpost. Namjoon and Yoongi were out of arrows by that point and had joined the others on the ground cutting down the enemies with swords. Suho was the first to die as he was taken down by a barrage of arrows. Baekho snarled, but ran back. "We need to go! This outpost is gone!" Said Taehyung as he hopped on Baekho's back, grabbing Jimin along the way before they could get hit by more arrows. Jungkook still fought, sending ice spears at the enemies to distract them before sending a tornado towards the enemy. He retreated as Baekho ran passed him. Namjoon and Yoongi were the last to retreat, wanting the others to go first.

A barrage of arrows were sent flying towards them. "No hyungs!" Yelled Jungkook as he rushed to put up a wall of ice. It had been too late as Namjoon fell, his back pierced with many arrows. Yoongi had managed to make it, his quick reflexes letting him dodge the arrows. He muttered a prayer under his breath to his fallen comrades as he stumbled, running to catch up with Jungkook and the others. They had to get to the capitol and fast!

 

~



"Damn," said Doyoung as he suddenly looked at his orb which had summoned by itself. He had stayed the night with Mark and the others, simply because he may be needed. "Guys! We lost the southern outpost!" He called. Mark ran into the livingroom. "Oh no," he said, going out to the balcony. "I wonder who got out of there?" He asked. "Suho and Namjoon are dead," muttered Doyoung as he joined Mark on the balcony.

"Prepare for an attack, go alert the wall guards," said Taeil as he came out onto the balcony. "I'll go let the queen know what's happened," he said before going to get Taeyong and head to the palace. Mark whistled for his dog and put the bag with the note around his collar. "Go let the wall guards know boy!" He said as he opened the door for Jeonghan. Jeonghan rushed out the door, going towards the city walls. "Let's go get Jaehyun and the others, we may need them," he said to Doyoung. Doyoung nodded and left with Mark, going to Jaehyun's apartment where Jaehyun, Jin, Daehyun, Youngjae, and Jackson were.

"We need to prepare for an attack," said Doyoung as Jaehyun opened the door looking sleepy. That woke him up as he rushed to get his knives. "We lost the southern outpost," said Doyoung when Jin and the others came to the door. "Damn," said Daehyun. "Already? They still got another two days to get here," he said. "Let's get to the city walls, that's priority number 1," said Doyoung. Everyone rushed out to the city walls.

"So we lost the southern outpost?" Asked the queen as Taeil and Taeyong bowed in front of her. "Yes, we lost Suho and Namjoon, they had to retreat," said Taeil. "Prepare for an attack, go to the city walls and get ready," said the queen. "The others may already be there, defend this city with everything you have," she said. "Yes your highness," said Taeil and Taeyong as they stood. They then left, heading to the city gates.