Chapter 2

The Next Generation

Things were calm for the next couple weeks as Ren and the previous guard stayed by the southern borders to keep an eye on things. Sehun was missing his father, but Doyoung and the others worked hard to keep Sehun entertained while they waited on the news of the previous guard.

Taeyong was playing with Sehun and Baekhyun since it was his turn to watch them today. It was the weekend so no one had school today. Mark and Doyoung went hunting with Jaehyun and Jeonghan today to bring some meat home. They made enough money to feed everyone for a couple years, but hunting was a natural thing for them.

"Taeyong-hyung?" Asked Sehun. "What is it Sehun-ah?" Asked Taeyong as he turned to Sehun. "When is my dad coming home?" Asked Sehun. "I don't know," said Taeyong. "There's just some trouble at the southern borders, hopefully the peace can be kept for the time being," he said. Sehun nodded. Baekhyun smiled slightly. "Don't worry, he'll be home soon I'm sure," he said. "Do you have your orb yet?" Asked Taeyong as he went to push Sehun on the swings. "Mhm," said Sehun. "I don't use it often though, Aron thinks it's a toy," he said with a chuckle. Taeyong laughs. "Where's Aron now?" He asked. "He's with mom," said Sehun. "She has him towing a cart around the market so mom can take more food home for dinner," he said. "Doyoung is living with us now so mom has to get more food," he said.

"Are you gonna start training to get into the guard?" Asked Taeyong. "I might," said Sehun as he jumped off the swing, landing on his feet. "I'd have to talk to mom, dad already said yes," he said. "What about you Baekhyun?" Asked Taeyong. "I'm already in training, I went in after you guys got appointed," said Baekhyun. "Oh right, you're two years older," said Taeyong, who scratched the back of his head. "Who else is there?" He asked. "None in our age group," said Sehun. "There's kids at school a couple grades younger than me that want to join but they're too young," he said.

Doyoung and Jaehyun show up a couple hours later while Taeyong was sharing lunch with them. "How was the hunts?" Asked Taeyong as he spotted them. "Mm," said Doyoung as he flopped down on the bench beside Taeyong. "It was tiring, but we got deer," he said. "Jaehyun scared most of the bigger game away like usual," he said, pouting. "I can't help it alright?" Jaehyun said, sighing. "Besides, we got like 3 deer out of that trip, I had to tow the cart to the butchers because Jeonghan couldn't handle all the weight behind him," he said. "He's not built to tow stuff like that around, we'd need another couple dogs for that," said Taeyong. "True," mumbled Jaehyun.

"It doesn't mean that Mark and Jeonghan aren't useful," said Taeyong as he shook his head. "They're trying to earn our respect ya know? Them being the youngest and all," he said. "Cut them some slack, I'm sure Taeil would say the same thing," he said. "Speaking of, how come he isn't here with ya'll?" Asked Doyoung. "He had some errands to run at the last minute, he'll be home for dinner," said Taeyong. "Mark-hyung is useful, don't ever think that he isn't," said Sehun as he turned to the others. "Papa was reluctant to train him, I heard mom and him fighting one night," he said. "But in the end he gave Mark a chance and look where it got him," he said. "If he earned dad's respect then he should earn yours," he said. "Sehun's right," said Baekhyun. "They both do so much for you guys," he said. "I'm sure you were in his shoes at one point or another," he said.

"They're right," said Taeil as he walked over to them. "Don't judge a book by its cover," he said. "Hey Taeil," said Taeyong. "Done errand running?" He asked. Taeil nodded. "Yeah, I got back and helped Mark get the right meat cuts home, the ones he wants to cook tonight," he said. "I don't want him ending up like Taemin, so unless you actually want that happening help out a bit more will you?" He asked. "Taeyong and I are really the only people helping him with anything right now," he said, before walking away. "Come on Sehun, Baekhyun," said Taeyong as he stood. "We'll go see if your mom and Aron want help with anything," he said to Sehun. "Baekhyun can come too if he wants," he said. "Sure," said Baekhyun. They leave after cleaning up their lunches.

"What a way to get us on a guilt trip," grumbled Doyoung as he sighed. "Well, we help out the best we can, it's all we can do until we get summoned to one of the borders," said Jaehyun. "Come on, let's go get some ingredients together," said Doyoung as he stood. "I think Mark left us a list of stuff to get for dinner tonight," he said before walking towards the market district. Jaehyun followed after him.