Chapter 16

The Next Generation

Word from the southern borders eventually came, and both Jungkook and Doyoung rushed to let the others know. Something was going on at the southern borders, and they needed to go. NOW.

Doyoung had run to the palace with the news, trusting that Jungkook could go get the others. The two of them had become close since Jungkook got Xiumin, and they were basically inseparable now. Jungkook arrived at the throne room with everyone else in tow, as Doyoung had finished his conversation with the queen. "Pack up, the queen is having us all go," said Doyoung. Mark nodded. "We'll meet you at the gates, do we need to grab the cart this time?" He asked. "No time," said Taeil. "We need to pack and go," he said. "Meet at the gates in an hour then," said Namjoon. Everyone nodded and ran off to pack.

Mark, Yoongi, and Jeonghan were the first to at the gates, having only packed lightly for the journey. They had to be the quickest, and packing lightly would help them if they need to quickly get away. Mark had his bag with the attached quiver, while Yoongi had a regular quiver and a small bag with a bow that he borrowed from Mark. Jeonghan wasn't carrying anything, though his collar now had a small pouch attached to it if they needed to send him back with a message.

Jin, Taehyung, Namjoon and Jaehyun were next, packing only enough to get to the outpost. They would get supplies on the way if they absolutely needed to. Jaehyun didn't pack anything, in case he needed to shift quickly. It was now a matter of who would appear next.

Jimin, Taeil, Taeyong, Doyoung, Hoseok and Jungkook were the last to appear at the gates just a few minutes before they were due to leave. "Ready to go?" Asked Mark. They all nod. "Alright, let's go," he said, letting Doyoung and Jungkook lead the way since their orbs would know the fastest route to the borders. Both their orbs darted forward and everyone ran after it, going at a fast pace towards the borders.

When they got to the outpost they saw smoke rising out of it. Everyone feared the worse as Taeyong and Taeil walked forward with their swords drawn. Mark and Yoongi stood back with their bows drawn and ready to fire. Jeonghan slowly inched forward growling. "Everything is too quiet," said Doyoung. "There's no one in the outpost from what Chen and Xiumin can see," said Jungkook. "But where are the others?" Asked Jimin.

"Open the doors?" Asked Taeil as he turned to Taeyong. "Yeah," said Taeyong as he went to push open the gates. Taeil went to help open the gates, pushing both gates open. "Down Jeonghan," said Mark as Jeonghan growled, ready to dart forward. The scene that came into view wasn't good, things were scattered around the entire place, and there was no sign of Baekho, Suho, or JR. "Sniff them out boy," said Mark. Jeonghan darted into the compound to look for them. Jaehyun followed after him, his pack sense seeking them out. "Jin, Jimin, stay here," said Taeyong. "I'll go in with Hoseok," he said before quickly going inside to assess the carnage. Hoseok went after him.

After about 10 minutes Jeonghan was heard barking, so Mark went in to look for him. Yoongi was hesitant but a nod from Namjoon had him going in after Mark. Mark went towards Jeonghan's barking, Yoongi being close behind him. Jaehyun and Jeonghan were trying to dig out a pile of debris, Jaehyun having changed and was shoveling out the debris to the best of his ability. "Jeonghan, go get Taeyong and Hoseok," Mark said as he and Yoongi went and started helping Jaehyun. Jeonghan went to get them, before going to get Namjoon, Taeil, Jin, Jimin, Taehyung, Jungkook and Doyoung who were still outside the outpost. Hoseok and Taeyong ran over to try and help, quickly lifting debris out and trying to get to whatever was buried under the debris. Everyone pitched in to help, as they slowly decreased the pile of debris getting to the two bodies inside.

"We got bodies!" Yelled Mark as he was the first to get to them. Jin and Jimin climbed over to where Mark was, and Jaehyun came over to push the heavier stuff off the bodies. Jin climbed into the hole, getting to the bodies to check for a pulse. "They're alive!" Confirmed Jin. Jaehyun redoubled his efforts to dig out a bigger hole to help get to the bodies. Everyone redoubled their efforts to move the debris away trying to clear a path to the bodies. Jimin jumped into the hole going to help Jin.

Jaehyun managed to push a path towards the bodies, grunting and growling as he pushed debris out of the way. Mark and Yoongi follow in after Jaehyun, ready to go and drag the bodies out. With a roar and a final push Jaehyun finally cleared a straight path to the bodies. Jin and Jimin had managed to make a dome of some sorts above the body of the wolf and the leopard. Mark and Yoongi got to them. "It's Suho and Baekho," confirmed Mark. "Where's JR?" He asked, looking at Jin. Jin shook his head. "God damn it," said Mark. Jaehyun snorts, but he looked relieved even though JR wasn't there. He slowly changed back to human form, falling to his knees. He was exhausted, as Doyoung came in with a blanket to cover Jaehyun's body. "Get some rest, we got it from here," said Doyoung. Jaehyun nodded, and stumbled to his feet, heading out of the pile of debris.

Jin managed to wake up Baekho and Suho, getting them to change back as Taeyong and Hoseok went in to help them get out. Taeyong slung Baekho's arm over his shoulder and helped him walk out. Hoseok did the same with Suho, getting them to the barracks. Jin and Jimin came out of the pile of debris, where Taeil and the others were standing. "JR?" Asked Taeil. Jin shook his head. "Damn it!" Said Taeil. Mark and Yoongi came out of the debris pile Mark looking shaken up. Jeonghan went over to him, whining. "Hey Jeonghan," mumbled Mark as he pet his dog. "You feeling okay Mark?" Asked Taehyung as he looked concerned. "Yeah, give me a minute to process everything," said Mark.

"Come on, let's clean the rest of this mess up," said Taeil. Everyone nodded and went to clean up the outpost the best they could, closing the outpost gates.

Later that night there was a bonfire in the middle of the compound, with Taeil offering to make dinner. He scavenged what he could from the mess hall and made dinner. Mark was being quiet again, even with Taeyong and Taehyung trying to get him to talk. Jaehyun changed to his animal form, thinking he needed someone to cuddle. and Mark immediately clung to him, laying on Jaehyun's back. Jeonghan stayed nearby for his master.

"Dinner's ready," called Taeil. Everyone except Suho and Baekho came to eat dinner, being quiet. Mark let Jaehyun change back and eat, Doyoung draping a blanket over Jaehyun's body. "You going to be okay Mark?" Asked Taeyong. Mark nodded. "We need to figure out where JR is," he said. "Maybe Baekho and Suho know," said Taeil. "Mm," said Mark.