Chapter 9

The Next Generation

Mark was passed out for two days straight, the exhaustion finally catching up to him. The others let him rest, knowing that he did a lot for them. They all knew that he was trying to prove to them that he was fit to be in the guard.

"Mark-ah, wake up," said a voice as they tried to shake Mark awake. Mark groaned and moved over, away from the person trying to shake him awake. "Come on, wake up," said the voice. Mark grumbled and sat up, glaring at Doyoung, who gave a sheepish smile. "Come on, you need to eat," said Doyoung. "I know you're tired but you still need to eat," he said. Mark sighed and hopped down from his bunk and headed into the mess hall with Doyoung following behind him.

"What happened while I was asleep?" Asked Mark as he sat down with a tray of food. He whistled for his dog and Jeonghan came in and sat beside him. Doyoung came over and sat in front of Mark at the table. He shrugs. "Nothing really happened, it's been quiet," he said. "Did Jeonghan eat already?" Asked Mark. "Yeah, JR makes sure to save any scraps for the day and give it to him at the end of the day," said Doyoung. "JR said he might send us back since it's been quiet," he said. "I'm okay with that," said Mark. "What do the others say?" He asked. "They're indifferent about it, I think they wouldn't mind going home though," said Doyoung. "Only Jaehyun wants to stay, but only because he wants to continue training with Suho and Baekho when it comes to his shifting," he said. "Mm," said Mark.

Jeonghan huffed, and Mark pet his head. "What's up with Jeonghan?" Asked Doyoung. "He's bored," said Mark. "I think anyway," he said. "I want to ask to go for a hunt but I don't know about the peace," he said. "I don't want to feel responsible for people's deaths when I could possibly prevent them," he said. Doyoung nodded. "I understand that," he said.

JR came into the mess hall, smiling some at Doyoung and Mark. "it doesn't seem like you guys are gonna leave just yet," he said. "The silence is odd, so we're gonna wait a couple more days," he said. "Did you sleep well? I know you were tired but damn," he said, chuckling some. Mark scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. "Well, I guess," he said. "Sorry that I was out for so long," he said. "It's fine," said JR. "You needed the rest," he said.

"So what's happening now?" Asked Mark. "Nothing really isn't happening, not for the time being," said JR. "If it's still quiet we'll send you home tomorrow," he said. "Don't hold it against us if we don't though," he said. "We won't," said Doyoung. "I think Jaehyun is the only one who really wants to stay at this point, this gives him a chance to work with his shifting with Baekho and Suho," he said. JR nodded. "He was talking about that," said JR.

"How are things back at the capitol?" He asked. "Things are fine, from the two days I was there there wasn't really anything happening," said Mark. "It's still odd though, that it's been quiet, it really looks like Tao is keeping to it that he won't attack with his best people out right now," he said. "Mm," said JR.

"Do you know what happened before?" Asked Mark. "What do you mean?" Asked JR. "Like with the first guard, they had to head into EXO for negotiations, what happened there?" Asked Mark. JR's expression darkened as he thought back on it. "Well, we were only about 8-10 years old then," he said. "Nothing much happened, all we knew was that they were sent over there to talk about the refugees that had crossed over, their king wanted them back," he said. "Kyungsoo told me later, sometime after things had quieted down what had happened the night before Chanyeol chose to die," he said.
 

~



Kyungsoo was sitting in the dorm room he had chosen with Chanyeol, reading a book left behind by the previous occupant. "Whatever happens tomorrow, I want to be the person to die," Chanyeol said suddenly. "What?" Asked Kyungsoo as he looked up from his reading in shock. "Are you crazy?" He asked. "We all know that the only other person who isn't a refugee here is you," said Chanyeol. "I have a feeling their king is going to ask for one of us in compensation if Luhan and Yixing refuse to go back," he said.

"To be honest, you've been a better leader than I have been," said Chanyeol as he sighed, laying back on the bed. "I know we decided to not have a leader, but I've stepped up and then you stepped up," he said. "You've been a better leader than I ever will be, and I want you to help the others cope, cope with the loss of everything, eventually we will see each other again," he said. Kyungsoo seemed to mull over that as he looked down at the page he was reading. "What about Ren? What about your brother?" He asked. "They'll be fine without me," Chanyeol said, turning his head to look at Kyungsoo. "Well, Ren won't but with Aron by his side I'm sure they'll make it," he said.

"I don't want the burden of that," said Kyungsoo. "You already have that burden," said Chanyeol. "You realize that since Jongin died you've been making sure that the others are okay, that everyone goes to you about everything right?" He asked. "Even I do, occasionally," he said. Kyungsoo sighed. "Okay, if things go like you say, then I am okay with that," he said. "But, when we meet again in the afterlife I'm pummeling you into the ground for the next 5 years," he said. Chanyeol grinned. "Typical of you, but thanks, for letting me do this," he said. Kyungsoo smiled slightly, turning and turning off the nightstand light.
 

~



"Wow," said Mark, as he looked surprised. "Luhan didn't even know of their conversation, Kyungsoo made me promise to not tell anyone, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind it now," said JR. Doyoung tilted his head to the side. "I think Kyungsoo mentioned that before, in one of the many dreams I have with Chen and the others," he said. "I haven't been talking with them lately though, Chen says they're preparing for something big," he said. "Hm," said JR. "That should be something worth noting," he said. "How's Ren?" He asked. "He's doing great, he's with Sehun right now, keeping watch over the capitol," said Doyoung. "That's good, at least," said JR.