Chapter 21

The Next Generation

Mark was being quiet again, not being himself. He had recovered quickly, but it was starting to worry everyone. Mark got the honors of burning JR's body, which he did with honor. Everyone gave Mark his space, but he was starting to distance himself from everyone.

Mark had been sent out to hunt with Yoongi, Jeonghan, and Jaehyun because they were running low on food. Taeyong and Hoseok were in the middle of the compound sharpening their swords. Jaehyun had asked them to sharpen his knives so they were doing that too. Taehyung was up on the wall with Doyoung, discussing things. Jin and Jimin were seeing what they could do for lunch, while the others were getting some rest.

"I'm worried about Mark," said Taehyung as he walked along the wall. Doyoung was staring off into the distance though his orb was summoned in case something happened. "Mm," said Doyoung as he turned to Taehyung. "He's been quiet, and quiet isn't good," said Taehyung. "Jungkook was the same way, he became a cold hearted killer pretty quickly," he said. "I understand Jungkook's point of view, you guys were at war, but Mark's? That's different," said Doyoung. "He says it's his way of coping with things," he said.

"He's always been like that though, even during our trainee years," he said. "Besides, if anyone can read Mark, it's Taeil and Taeyong, they've shared that apartment with him since his parents kicked him out," he said. "Why'd they kick him out?" Asked Taehyung. "They didn't want him to become a trainee," said Doyoung. "Said it was too dangerous, he could die, etc.," he said. "I understand their point of view, but Mark didn't want to give up the training, he was bullied a lot in school," he said. "His parents refused to help him, so he started training to become part of the guard to stop the bullying, and that's how we all met," he said. "We all went in to training at 10, Mark started training at 12," he said. "We're all a few years older than him, and he had no one but us," he said. "He wasn't the last person to join us though, Jaehyun joined us a year after Mark did," he said. "Mm," said Taehyung.

"Hey!" Shouted Taeyong. "Don't give Mark crap for what he chooses as a coping method," he shouted up to them. "He's already had to deal with so much, don't judge him for it," he shouted before turning back to his sword, sighing. "I understand where Taehyung's coming from with this though," said Hoseok. "They were considered outsiders to our group, they had to watch their own cousin become a cold blooded killer and they couldn't do anything about it," he said.

"It was Namjoon's decision to send Jaehyun to your kingdom, he didn't want that to happen to him and yet it did," he said. "Jaehyun's been through crap like Mark has, they're close because they were both bullied, even if Jaehyun's 2 years older and was a shapeshifter," said Taeyong. "Jaehyun was bullied for being a shapeshifter, and he and Mark naturally sought each other out," he said. "You done with your sword?" He asked. "Yeah," said Hoseok. "I finished sharpening the knives too," he said.

Taeil walked out of the barracks scratching the back of his head. He spotted Taeyong and Hoseok, waving to them. "Hey hyung," said Taeyong. "Mark and the others aren't back yet?" Asked Taeil as he walked over. "No," said Hoseok. "Mm," said Taeil. He looked up at the wall where Doyoung and Taehyung had their backs turned to them. "Everything okay with those two?" He asked. "Yeah," said Taeyong. "Taehyung doesn't think Mark is doing okay," he said. Taeil sighed. "I do understand where he's coming from, but trust me, he's okay," he said. "He knows to come to us if he ever needs anything, we established that when Taeyong, Mark and I moved into our apartment," he said. "Mark is a good kid, don't worry about it," he said.

There was loud banging at the gates, Doyoung and Taehyung looking to see that Mark and company returned. They winded the cranks to open the gates. Jaehyun, who was in his polar bear form, was the first to enter, dragging a deer behind him. Mark and Yoongi were next, dragging another deer behind them with Jeonghan walking behind them. "Nice catch Mark-ah, Yoongi-hyung, Jaehyun-ah," said Taeil. Mark smiled. "Thanks hyung," he said. "We'll get to skinning and cutting the deer, got a spot?" He asked. Taeyong pointed to the other side of the bonfire. "Over there," he said. "Thanks hyung," said Mark, as Jaehyun dragged the deer over before lumbering off to change and clean up. Mark and Yoongi drag the deer over to the spot and get to work on skinning and cutting both deer. Jeonghan went into the kitchen looking for food, and Jaehyun came out of the barracks in human form and dressed.

"Here," said Hoseok as he handed Jaehyun his knives. "Thanks hyung," said Jaehyun as he put the knives in their respective knife holsters. "How's everything?" He asked. "Mm," said Hoseok. Taeyong shrugs. "It's been quiet, Baekho thinks it's time for us to go home soon," he said. "We have to put JR's pocket watch on the plaque, and I think a break will do everyone some good," he said.

Jin came over with bowls of food for everyone. "Jimin's going to the barracks to give everyone else their food so here," he said. Taeyong and Hoseok nod, taking their respective bowls of food. Mark and Yoongi cleaned their hands before they started eating. Jaehyun took his plate and sat down to eat. Jin brought up the last bowls of food to Taehyung and Doyoung before sitting on the wall with them and eating.

Baekho and Suho came out of the barracks after lunch, wanting to see if Mark and Yoongi needed help with the deer. Mark gave Jeonghan his share of deer steak before giving the cuts for deer stew to Taeyong and getting the rest wrapped up to be put in the freezer before he went up to the wall to start patrols with Jimin.