Chapter 20

The Next Generation

Jin and Jimin worked countless hours trying to get Mark stabilized, only checking on JR when they could catch a break. Taeil and Namjoon even stepped in to keep an eye on Mark so Jin and Jimin could catch a break for an hour and focus on JR.

Doyoung and Jungkook were down in the mess hall getting lunch made for everyone. They both knew where Mark was right at this moment, they had seen him in their respective dreams, and now it was up to Ren and everyone else to get Mark to return to his body from the spirit world. Things were quiet in their own minds for once as they waited for something to happen.

Jaehyun was beating himself up over the fact that they didn't get Mark here quicker. "He's too stubborn for his own good I swear," he muttered as he paced back and forth in the middle of the compound. He wasn't due for wall patrols until after lunch with Taeyong, so he had nothing to do at the moment but delve into his thoughts.

Yoongi and Hoseok were up on the wall, doing their patrols. They both knew where Mark was at this current moment, since Jungkook had confided in them both wanting to know how he should handle this situation. They had managed to stabilize Mark for now, but it was his fight now and they couldn't really do anything except wait. "I'm worried for the kid," said Hoseok as looked over the horizon. "He was in more pain than we thought and he's nearly dead," he said, sighing. Yoongi put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "He'll come back to us, it's Mark we're talking about here, the kid's a fighter," he said. "I've only known the kid for a couple months, and he reminds me of Jungkook so much when we were back home before the civil war started," mumbled Hoseok. "I don't ever want to see him lose that innocence like Jungkook did," he said. "Mm," said Yoongi.

Taehyung was in the infirmary checking in JR's health as Jin had asked him to. Baekho and Suho were up doing random chores around the outpost, trying to distract themselves from thoughts of Mark's condition. "How is he?" Asked Jimin as he walked over to where Taehyung was. "He's okay, stable," said Taehyung. "I think he should be waking up soon," he said.

"How's Mark?" He asked looking at Jimin. Jimin shook his head. "I think the two orb users have more information on his condition than we do at this point," he said. Taehyung looked surprised as he looked at Jimin. "He's alive, but I overheard Jungkook and Doyoung talking about Mark being in the spirit world, you know, since they're connected to it thanks to their orbs," said Jimin. "It's Mark's decision to come back to us now," he said. "Lunch is ready, want me to get it?" He asked. Taehyung shook his head. "I gotta bring Hoseok and Yoongi their lunch," he said, checking in JR again before leaving the room. Jimin followed after him, getting lunch for himself and Jin.

Taeyong brought over lunch for Jaehyun, who mumbled a thanks and flopped down on the ground where he stood, taking the plate from him. Taeyong offered a comforting smile as he sat beside Jaehyun. "It's alright, Mark'll come back," he said. "I don't know hyung," mumbled Jaehyun. "If I had taken him back with JR and Jungkook he wouldn't be in this state," he said. "He's too damn stubborn," he said. "I don't want him to die hyung," he mumbled, sighing. "We all don't want him to die," said Taeyong. "Jin and Jimin did what they could, it's up to him now," he said. "Come on, we have to take Yoongi and Hoseok's shift," he said, standing. Jaehyun grumbled but stood, going with Taeyong up to the wall. They relieved Hoseok and Yoongi of their shift, who walked down to the barracks to try and catch up on sleep.

"Hyung," said Jungkook as he went to the infirmary to check on Mark and JR with Doyoung to let Jin and Jimin rest for a few hours. "What if Mark decides to not come back?" He asked. Doyoung shrugs. "We'll have to see," he said. "As much as I hate waiting, if it really is Mark's time to go then it's his time to go," he said. "Thanks for taking over watching them," said Jin as they entered the room. "I think you'd both know if and when Mark decides to rejoin us," he said. Jeonghan had gone to lay by his master, refusing to move. Jungkook went to sit by JR's bed while Doyoung went to sit by Mark's bed, Jimin and Jin leaving the room shortly after.

Mark lay down in a clearing, staring up at the sky with an arm behind his head and an arm on his stomach. He no longer felt pain, but he had no idea where he was. All he knew was that he woke up here. "Mark-ah," said a familiar voice. Mark turned his head, smiling some when he saw who it was. "Ren-hyung!" He said, sitting up. "What are you doing here?" He asked. "I should be asking you the same question Mark-ah," said Ren as he smiled some. "You're in the spirit world, you're not dead," he said, his smile fading some. Mark shook his head. "I think I'm dead hyung," he said. "Why would I be here if I wasn't?" He asked. "You're still alive Mark," said Ren as he sat beside Mark. "They want you back, but it's your choice to go back or stay here," he said. "Mm," said Mark as he looked up at the sky.

Jungkook and Doyoung exchanged knowing glances as they heard the conversation between Mark and Ren. Doyoung bent down to scratch Jeonghan behind the ears. "You may be without a master soon pup," he mumbled as he checked the IV to make sure it was still dripping. "At least JR isn't there," said Jungkook as he sat back in his chair. "Mm," said Doyoung.

"Mark," said Ren as he walked around the small clearing with Mark. "Mm?" Asked Mark. "You've been here for a while now," said Ren. "Do you want to stay or go back?" He asked. "I don't know," mumbled Mark. "I don't want to stay, but I don't want to go back, what do I do hyung?" He asked. "It is your choice in the matter," said Ren. "What if I can't choose?" Asked Mark. "Think about your time on Earth, do you think that it is really your time to leave?" Asked Ren. "It also ultimately comes down to this," he said. "If you live JR dies, and if you die JR lives," he said. "What?" Asked Mark as he looked surprised. "That makes my decision harder!" He said. "You'll make the right decision I'm sure," said Ren as he put a comforting hand on Mark's shoulder. "Just think about it," he said.

Jungkook and Doyoung look at each other in surprise, their mouths falling open in shock. "What?" They both ask. "Why the hell did it come to that out of all things?" Asked Doyoung. "This is going to be troublesome," he mumbled.

They both look towards the door when Taehyung came in with dinner. "I brought dinner," mumbled Taehyung. "How are they?" He asked as he handed Jungkook his dinner first then he handed Doyoung his dinner. "Mm," said Doyoung as he tried to think of a way to explain things.

"If Mark chooses to die then JR lives and vice versa," blurted out Jungkook as he looked down at his tray of food. "What?" Asked Taehyung as he looked at Jungkook then at Doyoung. Doyoung just nodded in confirmation. Taehyung just stood in shock as he tried to comprehend what he was told. "So either way we're losing one of them?" He asked. "Pretty much," muttered Doyoung. "Do the others know?" Asked Taehyung. Doyoung shook his head. "Not yet, I was gonna call a meeting," he said. "Can you get everyone in here?" He asked. "Well, except those on the wall, you can go tell them what's up," he said. Taehyung nodded and rushed out of the room.

"Mark-ah," muttered Doyoung. "Regardless of what you choose be happy okay?" He asked, bending down and kissing Mark on the forehead. He moved away, sighing as he turned to Jungkook, who looked conflicted. "I haven't known either of them long, but I can't believe it came down to that of all things," said Jungkook. "Yeah, this is a hard decision for Mark to make," said Doyoung as they heard people come towards the infirmary.

Jin and Jimin were first to enter the room, thinking it was good news. Once they saw Doyoung and Jungkook's expressions however, they knew something was wrong. Hoseok and Yoongi were next, having been told it was really important and nothing more. Taeyong and Jaehyun were next, wanting to know the status of Mark and JR. Namjoon and Taeil were next, wondering what was so important. "Baekho and Suho are up on the wall, Taehyung is telling them what's up," said Namjoon. Doyoung nodded.

"Well, I have some news," said Doyoung. "This isn't good news either," he mumbled. "Well, it could be depending on Mark's decision," he said. "If he chooses to die, JR lives, if he chooses to live, JR dies," he blurted out after a couple minutes of silence. Everyone looked surprised, Taeyong and Jaehyun taking a step backwards. "What?" asked Taeyong and Jaehyun. "You're kidding right? Please tell me your kidding," said Taeyong as he went over to Doyoung and pulled him up to where he was standing by the shirt collar. "I wish I was," mumbled Doyoung as he refused to look Taeyong in the eyes. "Taeyong put him down, this isn't his fault," said Taeil as he went to put a hand on Taeyong's shoulder. Taeyong let go of Doyoung's shirt, letting his arms fall to his side as he clenched his hands into fists.

"Mark has to make that decision?" Asked Taeil. Jungkook nodded. "We thought JR was going to wake up, but now we're not sure," he mumbled. "Whatever decision he chooses, I really hope he is happy in the end," said Doyoung. "If he decides to rejoin us, he has to live with the fact that JR died, if he decides to stay in the spirit world, then JR has to live with the fact that Mark died, is that what you're getting at?" Asked Jaehyun. Doyoung nodded. "Well, whatever happens, Mark will make a decision at some point, we just have to hope that whatever he chooses, is what he thinks is right," said Taeil.

"Hyung," Mark said suddenly as he was laying in the soft grass in the clearing again with an arm behind his back and an arm on his stomach with Ren laying beside him in the same position. "I don't know what to choose," he said. "I know that JR would love to join you guys, but at the same time I feel like he wants to be there with Baekho and Suho," he said. "I just don't know what to choose," he grumbled.

"I'm not here to make your decisions for you," said Ren. "But if JR was stuck with this decision, then he'd choose you," he said. "You have a whole life ahead of you, JR never started a family or anything," he said. "His family all died during the winter that I had gone to rescue the queen, he has no one left but what was left of us as the guard," he said. "Baekho and Suho won't get mad if you choose to live, they understand your decision as much as I do," he said. "If you choose to die here, then they will be fine with that too, Kris says that despite Minhyun and I's deaths, they are faring well," he said. "If JR was to die, I know they'd be sad at first, but you have a whole life ahead of you," he said. Mark nodded.


By the time that conversation had ended Doyoung and Jungkook had gone their separate ways, Jungkook being up on the wall with Taehyung and Doyoung in the barracks, trying to get some sleep. They both looked at their orbs, which had summoned by themselves. Doyoung sat up immediately, hitting his head on the bottom of the top bunk. "Ouch," he mumbled, rubbing the top of his head. "A big decision is happening soon," said both Doyoung and Jungkook. Taehyung looked at the orb, blinking in surprise. Doyoung rushed out of the barracks and into the infirmary, skidding passed the door before bursting into the infirmary slightly out of breath. Jin looked up in surprise. "Hyung... A decision is about to be made," Doyoung said, panting. Jin stood up in surprise, knocking the chair he was sitting in backwards. Jeonghan lifted his head, looking towards his master's bed.

"I think I made my decision," Mark said as he sat up. "As much as I'd like to be here, I think I need to head back," he said. Ren smiled sadly. "It was nice to talk to you again Mark, tell the others I said hello," he said. Mark nodded, standing. JR appeared in the clearing, nodding to Mark. "I'll be sad that I'm dead, but I think the others would be happier that you lived," he said. Mark nodded, going over and giving JR a hug. "Thanks for being there hyung," he said. JR smiled, as everything around Mark faded to black.

Mark jolted awake, sitting up in surprise. Doyoung and Jin jumped, before they both tackled Mark. "Mark!" Said Jin and Doyoung. "H-Hi hyungs," mumbled Mark. They both moved off of Mark, Jin checking him over. "How are you feeling?" Asked Doyoung. "Okay I guess," said Mark. Jeonghan ran out of the room, barking for the others. "You had us all worried, but now we must take care of JR," said Doyoung as he turned to JR's body. "Let's not worry about that now," said Jin as everyone rushed into the room. Taeyong, Jaehyun, and Taehyung tackled Mark, going in for a group hug. Everyone else soon joined in, afraid of letting go in case Mark wasn't truly back and could disappear at any moment.

"I think he made the right choice," JR said in Jungkook and Doyoung's minds. "Being the youngest he has the best chance at living. Live well Mark, live well," he said before it went quiet.