Chapter 10

The Next Generation

It was quiet for a little while, but then they got attacked during the night. Everyone tried to fight off the enemy, but they were pretty out numbered at that point.

"Mark, we need you to head back to the capitol," said JR as they tried to hold down the fort. "What?" Asked Mark. Minhyun, Baekho, Suho, Taeyong, Jaehyun, and Doyoung were out of the outpost, trying to at least buy them some time. "You are the fastest person here, we need someone to get to the capitol and try and get some help," said JR. "What about you guys?" Asked Mark. "We'll be fine, just go," said JR. Mark whistled for his dog and Jeonghan came running. Mark grabbed his bag with the built in quiver and put it on his back. "Stay alive! I'll be back as soon as possible," he said. JR nodded. "We will, don't worry," he said. "Come on Jeonghan," he said, before he ran off, heading back to the capitol.

Taeil came over to JR, with a bow in his hands. "Ready for some long range combat?" He asked. JR smiled some. "Let's go," he said, grabbing his own bow. They went up to the wall and started firing arrows at the enemy, trying to even the playing field for their fellow guard members. They were determined to keep the enemy at bay, to stay alive until Mark returned with reinforcements.

Mark was about 3 miles away from the outpost when he heard the explosion. He stopped, turning and looking wide eyed at the cloud of smoke now rising from where the outpost was. Jeonghan whined, looking at Mark. "It's okay buddy," said Mark. "They swore to stay alive for us," he said, petting Jeonghan on the head. "We need to go now," he said, turning and running off. Jeonghan ran after him.

The explosion came from Doyoung as he called upon Kris, Xiumin, and Chen. He combined a fire tornado with lightning bolts and gathered the enemies into the tornado. He then slammed his hand into the ground, sending ice spears up to stab the enemies. That managed to cut the enemies in half, as Doyoung fell to his knees panting. JR and Taeil worked to give the others some cover as Minhyun rushed over to help Doyoung stand. "Good job Doyoung, we got it from here," he said. Doyoung nodded, looking exhausted. Minhyun pushed him towards the outpost gates and Doyoung stumbled into the outpost, closing the gates and slumping against them. He tried to stay awake, in case he needed to open the gates. He lay on his back, panting as his orb floated above him. "Mark better get back quick," he said, throwing an arm over his eyes.

Minhyun and Taeyong continued to fight, joining Jaehyun, Suho, and Baekho on the front lines as they fought in their animal forms. "They just don't stop do they?" Asked Minhyun as he was facing back to back with Taeyong. "Well, Doyoung cut off half of them, we'll get the other half," said Taeyong. "I don't know how much we can take though," he said. "We have to trust that Mark can get reinforcements," said Minhyun.

Mark reached the capitol in a day, almost passing out at the gates. He found the capitol guard patrolling along the capitol walls and called out for their help before he collapsed, passing out. Jeonghan barked, trying to get their attention. The guards quickly called for the others to come get Mark, taking him to a hospital. Jeonghan was allowed in the room with Mark as the queen came to see him at the hospital.

"We need reinforcements," Mark said as he saw the queen. He was only exhausted, as he tried to get up. "Don't move Mark," said the queen as she put a hand on his shoulder. "I figured that was the reason you'd be here," she said. "Get some rest, reinforcements are on the way," she said. Mark nodded, letting his eyes close as he passed out.