Chapter 23

The Next Generation

Taeyong waited on the news on Mark, the others arriving at the hospital after Jungkook and Doyoung told everyone of what was happening.

"Any news on him yet?" Asked Taeil as he brought over some food for Taeyong. "No," said Taeyong. "He's still in surgery I think," he mumbled. "You know someone needs to let his parents know right?" Asked Doyoung. Taeyong scoffed. "What parents? They weren't there when Mark needed them, what's the point on them showing up now?" He asked. "That bad huh?" Asked Jin. "Bad isn't even the worst of it," growled out Jaehyun as he paced back and forth.

The doctor came out of surgery as Taeyong was resting while Taeil was reading a book. The others were sitting around the waiting room just staring off into space. "I have some news," said the doctor. Taeil woke up Taeyong and nodded for the doctor to continue. "Mark is stable for now, we had to remove his kidney due to the injury causing an infection," said the doctor. Jin and Jimin cursed their luck, wishing they had seen it sooner. "Your healers did a good job though," said the doctor. "If you had just healed him a bit more Mark would be just fine," he said. "You may go see him now, he's resting so don't disturb him," he said. Taeyong, Taeil and Jaehyun ran to Mark's room after Doyoung told them what room number he was in. "Too bad Jeonghan isn't here," said Jin. "He must be worried for Mark," he said. "Jeonghan is outside waiting," said Hoseok. "We saw him on the way in," he said. "Mm," said Jin.

Taeyong sat in a chair beside Mark's bed, watching the machine that constantly made a beep... Beep sound every couple minutes. They could see the bandages covering Mark's stomach area and a small blotch of red where the surgery had taken place. "Live for us Mark-ah," mumbled Jaehyun as he sat on the other side of Mark's bed, looking worn out. Taeyong tried to offer a reassuring smile but it didn't work. "He'll live, this is Mark," he said. "Mm," said Jaehyun.

There was a commotion outside of the room and someone shouting "let me see my son!" Taeyong and Jaehyun look towards the door, Taeil glaring at the door. "You can't even call him your kid when you kicked him out," came Doyoung's voice. "I have every right to see my own son, he's my son," came the voice. "Get out of here," said Doyoung. "Make me," said the voice. "Kyuhyun I suggest you leave," said Doyoung. "I don't think you want to go in there when the people who were actually there for him are in the room, they have a bad temper," he said.

Kyuhyun pushed passed Doyoung and into the room, his eyes landing on Mark. "Mark," he said running over to the bed. Taeyong stood, shoving Kyuhyun backwards. "I suggest you back off," he said, glaring. Kyuhyun glared at Taeyong. "Let me see my son," he said. "What kind of father kicks their son out of the house because he wanted to become a part of the guard?" Spat Taeyong. "All he wanted to do was stop the bullying he was going through in school, if you actually did something about it, he wouldn't be in this situation," he said.

"T-Taeyong-hyung," came Mark's quiet voice. Taeyong turned to Mark, surprised. "L-Let my dad stay," mumbled Mark. "I understand you don't want him in here, but he's family regardless," he mumbled. "Leave the room if you want," he said. "Doyoung-hyung can let you know if something comes up," he said. "Fine," said Taeyong. "We'll be in the hall," he said before leaving. Taeil and Jaehyun glare at Kyuhyun before leaving the room.

"I hope you're proud of yourself," said Kyuhyun once they were alone. "If you're here to ridicule me then you can happily leave," spat Mark. "You want to know why I decided to become part of the guard?" He asked. "It wasn't to spite you or go against your wishes," he said. "It was because you out of all people refused to help me when I asked for help," he spat. "You didn't believe me when I said I was being bullied," he said. "So if you want to ridicule me some more then get out," he said. Kyuhyun sighed. "I'm not here to do that," he said. "I'm sorry about everything," he said. "You think apologizing to me will fix everything?" Asked Mark. "If you are here to say that then get out," he said. Kyuhyun looked hurt but nodded. "One day I may forgive you, but not after everything you did to me," said Mark. "Now get out," he spat. Kyuhyun sighed before leaving.

Mark sighed, looking up at the ceiling. "Why did this have to happen?" He asked himself. Taeyong came into the room, wondering if Mark was okay. "You okay Mark?" He asked. "I'm fine," said Mark. "This is the second time I got this close to death," he mumbled. "What if there is a third time hyung?" He asked. "There won't be a third time," said Taeyong. "I guarantee it," he said. "There is no guarantees hyung," mumbled Mark. "I will do everything possible to prevent it then," said Taeyong.

"Hyung," said Mark. "Hm?" Asked Taeyong. "Why do you care so much about me?" Asked Mark. "What kind of question is that?" Asked Taeyong. "I was bullied a lot in school," said Mark. "I had no one until I met you guys, why did you care so much?" He asked. "Mark-ah," said Taeyong as he looked concerned. "Do you remember what happened the night you were kicked out?" He asked. Mark shook his head. Taeyong sighed and recounted the story.

 

~



"Get out!" Yelled Kyuhyun as he threw Mark out of the house. "No son of mine will join the guard, I forbid it!" He yelled. "Mom!" Yelled Mark. "Do something!" He said as he started crying. "I'm sorry Mark-ah," said Victoria, Mark's mom. "I looked up to you!" Yelled Mark. "If you decided to help me with the bullying instead of telling me to toughen up I wouldn't be in this situation!" He yelled. "Get the hell out of this building!" Kyuhyun said as he kicked Mark. "You don't deserve to be in this family," he said. Mark crawled away, sobbing. Kyuhyun kicked Mark out onto the street, causing Mark to fall down a small flight of stairs. Mark groaned, getting to his feet. He whimpered slightly when his dog Jeonghan was thrown down beside him. "Jeonghan," he said, reaching over to pet his dog. "Come on," he grunted, standing with a little difficulty. "Take me to Taeyong boy, let's go," he said, grabbing onto his dog's collar as Jeonghan rushed to find someone.

They ended up at Ren's house, who answered the door. "Mark-ah what are you doing here? What happened to you?" Asked Ren. "Ren-hyung help me please," begged Mark. "Come inside," said Ren as he ushered Mark into the house with his dog. "Doyoung can you get the first aid kit and look at Mark please?" Ren called. Doyoung rushed over and got Mark to sit down. He checked on Mark's injuries. "What happened Mark-ah?" Asked Doyoung. "Papa kicked me out hyung," mumbled Mark. Ren looked pissed. "It's okay kid," he said. "Doyoung-ah can you get some clothes for Mark to wear?" He asked. Doyoung nodded and went to find some clothes for mark to wear.

"I am going to give Kyuhyun a piece of my mind," Ren said as he glared. "Take care of him for a bit, I'm going to speak with Kyuhyun," he said before leaving the house. Doyoung took care of Mark, though he got the help of the others. All the younger trainees went over to Ren's house to give Mark all their support. Ren told the others what had happened and Taeyong was determined to be the older brother figure to Mark.

"Mark-ah," said Taeyong one day while they were at the training grounds. "I promise to be here for you, no matter what," he said. "Why do you care?" Asked Mark. "Because," said Taeyong. "No kid deserves to be without a parent," he said. "Or without any supporters," he said. "Taeil and I want to be there for you, you've become like our younger brother Mark-ah," he said. Mark smiled some. "Thanks hyung," he said. "We won't let anything happen to you," said Taeyong as he tousled Mark's hair.

 

~



"Oh, I remember now," mumbled Mark. "You didn't really keep that promise did you?" He asked, laughing some. Taeyong chuckled, scratching the back of his head. "We tried, but now our promise is we won't let you die, I think one of us would need to die first before we let you die," he said with determination. "Hyung," mumbled Mark. "I don't know how I'd handle any of you guys dying," he said. "You can handle it Mark-ah," said Taeyong. "You've handled it well so far," he said. "Hyung, that was different," said Mark. "I don't think I can handle any of you guys dying," he mumbled. "We'll try to not die then," said Taeyong. "I can't promise it but we will try," he said. "Thanks hyung," said Mark. Taeyong smiled slightly.