[JongKai] Mirror

Empty Files (EXO)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mirror


Pairing: JongKai


Summary: KORES is short for the Korean Organization of Recalling Extinct Species. Kai and Jongin have been there since the start of the agency and they were there for the struggle to keep the agency afloat despite opposition from both humans and supernaturals. It takes one simple protection job to go wrong before really begins to hit the fan.

Notes: I'm sorry! I did write the second part for If You Knew, but I got stuck at the 2k mark T.T

Anyway, this is somewhat of a tentative fic I'm thinking of starting... Please leave feedback :)

 

 

 

 

It started with a spell.


A desperate woman was on the verge of losing something precious, one of the twins she had birthed had given his first and last cries before falling still. His chest was fluttering lightly, so tiny and fragile, she couldn’t bear to lose him just yet, not when his life had just begun.


So it was with a heavy heart and a cold determination that the woman wrapped both her children in scraps of her dress, the heavy cloth more than enough to protect them. The older of the twins was quiet, though his eyes were on the second bundle the woman held, his dark eyes sad and yet knowing and calm all the same.


Shakily the desperate mother pressed a kiss to both their foreheads before she grabbed a dagger. In the low light of the besieged castle, with her crown fallen away and her hair loose, she looked more like a queen than ever before. The light of the torch was enough for her to see her own hands, so slim and pale, and somehow larger than the tiny hands of her own two children. She grit her teeth and dug the sharp edge of the dagger into the soft skin of her wrist.


Blood immediately pooled down her arm, almost reaching the floor, but she quickly moved her wrist over the still twin. The oldest of the twins began crying now, but the woman ignored it in favor of watching as her youngest took his last breath.


Sobbing quietly and shaking now, the woman pressed her wrist to her still son’s mouth and after a few moments, she took her wrist away. The dagger fell from her hands and she picked up her baby, his face an angelic softer copy of his screaming and crying older brother’s.


“I love you, forgive me for not being able to see you both grow...” The woman whispered, her breath hitching when a loud crashing came from the next room. She could feel the ground shake with the footsteps of angry men, shouts calling her forth echoing within the tiny hidden room.


The oldest twin was still screaming and crying, but she tucked him under her arm and held him to her bosom, silencing his cries as he buried his small sniffling face into her soft robes. The youngest twin was changing in her arms, his breath coming in slow, shallow beats now, the once rosy flush to his cheeks gone and replaced with a beautiful alabaster sheen.


It worked.


He would live, and as the men in the next room angrily shouted some more and set fire to things, the woman held her sons close and prayed.


Smoke entered the room and all three hunted began coughing, and everything from then on was lost in burning embers and thick powdery ash.

 

 

☆☾☆

 

 

“The Baron is heading to the back rooms, the bait is in place.”


Kai scowled and ducked his head, his hand reaching up and covering his mouth, as if he were hiding a cough and not talking to someone through a microphone. “Shut up! I can see them leaving, why the hell do you always announce the useless !?”


A huff could be heard from the other line of the earpiece shoved in his ear. “Just get in there and make sure that Baekhyun doesn’t end up becoming someone’s meal.”


Kai moved his hand back down, his eyes already locked onto the old man with his heavy arm slung over a flirty Baekhyun’s shoulders. The man was tall and regal looking, even though his white hair and weathered face gave away his age, as well as his deep maroon eyes. In some lights they could almost be passed off for an unusual brown, or contacts in today’s society.


They passed through a sealed off hallway, the Baron shooting the club one lasting sweep of his eyes before he disappeared into a room with Baekhyun.


“Kai! GO—”


The addressed man rolled his eyes before touching his earring and effectively shutting off his comm. There was no way in hell he was going into a vampire’s den with someone as loud as Jongdae screeching in his ear.


He weaved his way through the crowd of writhing bodies, the heavy bass of the club not deterring his concentration in the least. It was easy to stride past the distracted guards standing next to the private hall, they seemed to be more concerned with the young blood out on the floor, most probably drugged out of their minds and looking for a dark thrill.


Once down the hallway, Kai reached into his pockets and pulled on his gloves, the black leather felt soft against his skin. It was familiar and with it came a comfort, with theses gloves on he had been saved from being bitten countless times. Holy water and garlic are ridiculous vampire myths, but blessed items and spelled clothing did absolute wonders for their undead selves.


Once he reached the door, Kai braced himself. A loud series of crashes came from within the room, along with a few shouts and without waiting for anymore confirmation, Kai kicked the door down and fired off a few rounds.


The Baron was crouched on the floor, and he hissed in Kai’s direction, holding one injured shoulder before he jumped at the younger man. Kai cursed and ducked, just in time for the Baron to stumble over him and sprint out the door.


“, you let him go!” Baekhyun shouted, rightfully pissed as he took off down the deserted hallway after the vampire. Kai would have growled something back, but he was too busy loading his weapon and following Baekhyun.


The hallway was basically a dead end, aside from the set of stairs at the end and Kai groaned when he realized that the Baron had probably escaped to the roof. “Baekhyun! Keep going, weed him out from the top and I’ll catch him down below!” He shouted, not waiting for the thumbs up Baekhyun was sure to send him before he his heels and began running toward the club dance floor.


Bodies blocked his way, but Kai simply growled and shoved everyone out of his way, kicking aside a few and throwing some punches before he made it to the front doors of the club. A few people were shouting back at him drunkenly and several fights broke out due to his recklessness, but Kai paid them no mind as he shoved past a bouncer and bounded out the front doors.


The night air was cool against his face and it helped ease his heated skin. He immediately looked up and at the top of the second story club building, Kai could barely make out two forms running across the abandoned roof. Baekhyun, the obviously smaller form of the two was far behind the Baron, who was already reaching the end of the roof.


Kai ran to the corner of the building, sliding into an alley just below the trapped vampire. The Baron would have to make a leap of more than five feet if he wanted to get away unscathed, and normally this would not be a problem, but the vampire was old and he had two young and experienced hunters on his trail. Even if he did manage to jump, Kai would shoot him from below and Baekhyun would shoot him from the back.


Faintly, Kai could make out Baekhyun’s cold voice as he addressed the vampire.


“Class C Vampire, Park Junghyun! Stop now and surrender before the enforcers of KORES!”


The Baron sneered, “You stupid bastards, why are you sniffing around me when there are others with much more to hide than I!?”


“You are convicted and suspected of no less than seventeen recent murders, you will come with us now or we will be forced to enact the cease and protect law!” Baekhyun shouted back, the bass of the club still thrumming through the air.


Kai tensed when the shadowed form of the Baron twitched. ‘He’s a gonna run,’ Kai thought, getting into a familiar stance and glaring up at the vampire standing at the edge of the roof. He had only a moment to react as the Baron coiled his muscles and sprang off the edge of the roof. He was easily closing the distance between the club and the abandoned next door building, but Kai was ready and he had no ounce of hesitation within him when he pulled the trigger.


The crack of gunpowder echoed in the alley, along with a pained grunt and a sickeningly heavy thud as the vampire fell into a heap at Kai’s feet. The creature writhed in agony at his feet, hissing and growling in pain, only to fall completely still within moments.


Baekhyun’s small face popped up over the edge of the roof, one brow raised. “I still don’t see the appeal of your old fashioned weapon.”


Kai smirked and pointed his still smoking gun up at Baekhyun, faking a shooting noise and following the recoil through his arm and shoulder as if he had shot a live round. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and disappeared, grumbling too low for Kai to make out his complaints.


The vampire on the ground groaned and he rolled over, blearily staring up at Kai before he raised his middle finger and feebly spat on Kai’s shoe. “in’ KORE, I’m not an animal!”


The hiss the creature made when Kai rubbed his spit covered shoe on his jacket was worth the judging look Baekhyun sent him when he made it to the alleyway.

 

 

☆☾☆

 

 

Exactly one hundred years ago, the existence of vampires on earth was discovered and made known. A few years later, other supernatural species made themselves known as well. Understandably, the prey species (humans) panicked and they began turning on the other species, driving vampires from their homes and villages and hunting them along with werewolves, witches, and countless others to near extinction.


Of course, the Korean Organization of Recalling Extinct Species, or K.O.R.E.S. for short, was formed. Originally, their area of expertise was limited to animals, but since supernatural species were technically going extinct, the organization was created just for them.


Admittedly, it was not a popular occupation, and most people would spit at the feet of a KORES agent, both human and supernatural alike. Humans disliked them because most wanted all supernatural species to go extinct, and the supernaturals because they didn’t ask for the help of KORES, most of them would rather die than accept the interference of a human KORES agent. But their organization was necessary to keep the night creatures from vanishing forever.


“Goddamn it Kai!! How many times have I told you not to shut off your comm!!?” Jongdae screeched as soon as Baekhyun and Kai managed to drag the heavy old vamp from the alley to the back of their undoubtedly suspicious black van.


“Lay off and help you idiot! You can yell at me after this fat is hauled to the camp.” Kai growled, shoving the vampire into the back of the van and almost smashing Baekhyun under the vampire.


Baekhyun rolled the vampire to the side and the limp creature groaned when his head smacked into the metal side of the van. “Shut the up and get in, the head of security here called in the knock off Vatican, those religious s will be here any minute.”


Jongdae didn’t look too happy to shut his mouth and get in the driver’s seat, but he did so anyway. Kai just breathed a sigh of relief and jumped into the back of the van, shutting the door from the inside and leaning against the front passenger seat.


“I want my old shift back,” Kai muttered, rubbing his head and hoping to ward off a headache. He couldn’t believe that he would actually miss his days of mundane ‘secretary’ work. All Junmyeon did was make him transport heavy boxes of paperwork down the hall from the main KORES library to the vampire specialization office.


Baekhyun chuckled mirthlessly, his own small form leaning against the back of the driver’s seat. “Join the club you ungrateful bastard. You’re not the one who had to dress up and play nice with this sack of ,” He complained, sending a soft kick to the vampire’s head. The Baron, as he was known on the steets, was a vampire who had somehow made a name for himself in the underground, dealing in drugs and , anything illegal really. He had been somewhat at the top of the Vatican’s kill list, but KORES had gotten to him first.


It was a huge win, mainly because Yixing had invented a new rehabilitation system that he wanted to try out on one of their more iffy catches. There was still a debate about saving vampires, much less the bad ones, however Junmyeon, the man behind KORES, had reasoned that there was no point saving a few vampires when they had intended to save all supernatural species from extinction. “No one is perfect,” He liked to say when he sent enforcers out to catch a supernatural creature who was better off dead.


“Where do think Junmyeon will send us next?” Kai suddenly asked, fiddling with his gloves and watching as the faint engraved enchantment lines on the fine leather shimmered in the low light.


Baekhyun shrugged. “Why don’t you ask Jongin? He’s the only one Kyungsoo likes enough to actually confide in.”


Kai scowled at the reminder of the owl always sniffing around his younger brother. “He needs to get a social life and leave my Jongin alone.” The hiss was met with a chuckle from Jongdae and a huff from Baekhyun. Kai glared at them, only to b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter