LAST EPISODE?

MONDAY COUPLE: The Ending to Start a New Beginning
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

October 31, 2016 the last day of filming, Ji Suk Jin posted on his SNS that early in the morning the atmosphere is sad.

Today is Gary’s final day of filming. But if everyone thought that the crew would prepare a lavish send-off, you’d be wrong because leaving this show won’t be that easy.

Jae-suk explains how Gary spoke to them all individually weeks ahead of the press announcement. He understands this wasn’t an easy decision for him and believes that they should respect Gary’s wishes. Then the PD gave their mission called:  “Running Man Who Can’t Break Up, Gary Who Can’t Leave” (a spin-off of the LeeSsang hit single “Girl Who Can’t Break Up, Guy Who Can’t Leave”).

Earlier PDnim gave them a hidden mission for to complete: Each of them must steal one memorabilia from Gary without his knowledge. He’s currently working in his studio nearby and has been led to think the official opening is in an hour’s time.

Here’s the catch: the item they steal must be larger than the one stolen before them. Additionally, if Gary catches them stealing red-handed, the culprit must pay twice the amount of the cost of said item. Haha: “We really might end up in prison for the closing.”

The group heads over to Gary’s studio which is located on the fifth floor of a nearby building. Gary is surprised to see everyone here so early (“I was planning on crying for half an hour!”) but he steps away to change… and the others immediately start pocketing a few items here or there.

A little later, the entire cast gets to sit down together and Ji-hyo, whose eyes already look like they’re welling up with tears, sits next to the Monday Boyfriend. Jae-suk tries uplifting the mood with a joke about how her character is currently suspected of having an affair on her drama This Week, My Wife Will Have an Affair, and it works.

Hearing that the total distance the cast has run is 77,093 km around the world, Jae-suk wonders how much of that was from running away from Jong-kook.

Today’s race requires the cast members to collect that total distance of 77,000 km by completing games worth a varied amount of distance. Only when the group collects the entire distance can today’s game end.

Gary will be eligible for a better parting gift the quicker the group completes their missions. For instance, if they get 77,000 km in one try, Gary will be sent on a trip to Europe. Right below that will qualify him for a brand-new laptop followed by prime beef.

But Jong-kook has his eye on the gift(?) he gets if today’s race takes fifteen or more attempts to complete: Gary giving 100 staff members a gift.

Gary says they should just go big, and Haha makes sure that their hidden mission is in full swing. The first one’s a biggie: Endure 10 seconds of a sport massage in silence. The staff has brought back the master massage therapist, though Gary immediately tenses when he places a forearm (instead of his fingers) on his shoulders.

With that, the longest ten seconds of silence begins. Gary grimaces immediately but he gets through it. Jae-suk squirms like an eel and yelps with a few seconds left on the clock.

Jae-suk points out that his legs are uneven, so the master straightens them out for him, albeit painfully. Hehe. Since they’ve failed, one person needs to take a forehead slap for the team. Jae-suk’s name comes up first, but then they decide that Gary should take the brunt.

 

Gary asks that Ji-hyo deliver the slap, only to shrink when she pulls back without warning. While that’s going on, Jae-suk calls out to Jong-kook, who’s trying to pocket a fan. Jong-kook retaliates by knocking his head into the wall just a tadddd too hard.

Ji-hyo surpasses everyone’s expectations with a hard slap to Gary’s forehead. Even though it stings, Gary rests in the idea that he gets to pick whoever gets slapped next.

Everyone decides to keep going for the high stakes challenges, but the “Mascot” challenge is the exact same game cloaked under a different name. Jong-kook undergoes the short painful massage session first and runs out… with one of Gary’s things. Lol.

Haha tries the same tactic, only to learn that Jong-kook brought down a figurine. No good. Meanwhile, Ji-hyo lays on the ground and taps her hip. She just wants a reason to slip out too despite the unintentional suggestive position.

Suk-jin volunteers to go next but immediately regrets his decision even before the clock starts. He lets out a small yelp, but that’s enough for Gary to lose the laptop.

They may as well exhaust all the 77,000 km challenges and look hopeful when they learn the third one is entitled “Writer.” But then, the PD says, “The sport masseuse whom the writer invited…” Oh no. Gary: “Can’t you just give me a nice send-off?”

Suk-jin points out that no one got a forehead slap, so Gary chooses Ji-hyo. Kwang-soo gulps when the others choose him to do the slapping, but he’s more resolved once she warns him that he’ll be next and she’ll do the slapping then.

Kwang-soo apologizes before his hand smacks her forehead.

Haha snuggles up to a large teddy bear before sitting down for his massage. It gets taken away soon enough though, and then Kwang-soo offers himself as a human teddy bear. So Haha takes the pain out on him with a firm hold on his hair, but they fail anyway.

This means Ji-hyo gets to exact her revenge on Kwang-soo, and she comes through with an audible smack. Now the cast has learned their lesson and decides to go with a challenge worth 50,000 km instead.

Jae-suk tries to slip away while the staff sets up the food game of chance. He works up an excuse when the others notice, then manages to crawl out with a picture frame that’s larger than the figurine.

Here the cast must all choose the actual food time. We speed ahead to the fourth item as Jong-kook complains he usually hates yogurt drinks because of the sugar content. He ends up going with Kwang-soo’s suggestion and remarks that it’s delicious. Ji-hyo cries out, “Smells like vinegar!”

While Haha and Suk-jin try to pilfer some items, Gary comments on the huge dollop of wasabi in the Chocopie. Haha finds an opportune moment to slip out and gawks at the picture frame Jae-suk somehow brought. Thankfully for him, his choice is even larger.

Suk-jin manages to sneak out during some downtime and presents a huge decorative mask. Just as his choice get

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter