Love and heartache

Muse: Chronicles of a Nomad
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kahwa Coffee Shop – 11 AM

Since she had no friends, Lexi was content with David’s companionship. After ordering Cappuccino and coffee, they engaged in what seemed to be a never ending conversation, talking about her first week at school, his research progress, and their fated encounter the other day.

“So, you and Pr. Jenkins seem pretty close” she said, referring to the warm gathering she witnessed the other day.

“Yes, we are. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be who I am now” he replied, smiling gratefully.

“You mean, you wouldn’t be WHERE you are now, right?” she wittily corrected him before he explained himself further “I am WHO I am because of Pr. Jenkins. He saw potential in me, and he taught me to embrace it, to mold it and to reflect upon it”.

“He taught you to feel it” she added, her face showed amazement as she remembered the old man’s most precious lesson.

“Exactly” he confirmed before taking a sip of his coffee. He could sense that she was intrigued to know if she had potential to shape herself into who she is “Lexi, what brings you to Seoul?”

She hesitated for a moment, not sure if she should let it all out or simply give the standard reason she gave everybody around her.

“I just got to a point in my life where I didn’t know myself anymore. I ended up identifying myself with Hallyu. I know it sounds silly because foreigners follow Hallyu as a trend, mostly for dramas, Kpop and handsome Oppas; but to me, it meant much more than that. I found a missing piece of me within Hallyu and I decided to come here to complete the puzzle” she told him, her hands surrounding the cappuccino cup and her eyes looking down as she nervously played with her feet. Then, she added “But in order to find myself, I had to let go”.

“Was it love?” he asked before realizing she might not be comfortable enough to open up to him.

“Love and heartache” she replied instantly, meeting his gaze “I came with a broken heart, mind and soul”.

David fixated her eyes in silence, wondering how could her words be of such heavy weight without pushing her eyes to tear. He shook his head and changed the subject “You said that food was the second thing that brought you here, right?”

“You’re a good listener, David” she smiled “What’s on the menu today?”

Ahjumma Snack Bar – 1.10 PM

Lex

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter