Separate ways

Muse: Chronicles of a Nomad
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SNU English Department – 2.18 PM

“Hello?” Lexi’s voice echoed through the phone.

An elderly voice replied “Good evening Lady Scholar. How have you been?”

“Pr. Jenkins, it’s been a while” she responded “How is your mission going?”

“It was a great experience, and I come baring gifts” he engaged “As you probably heard, my mission took place in one of the most elite universities abroad, and I had the chance to help polish some of their newest majors: creative writing. You should guess by now that I have submitted all of your writings to this department, including the ones you delivered to Pr.Lee in my absence, which he faxed me. Needless to say that the school board was amazed by your talent for words and your acceptance to join their program was rather offered than asked for, along with a scholarship that is only granted to five out of 25 students who will be joining you in this course. I have signed you up for next year” he concluded “Miss Martinez, get ready to become a woman of letters”.

On the other side of the line, Lexi stood speechless. Although she had expectations for her future in writing, she did not think that she would get this opening on her first year.

“I truly appreciate the opportunity sir but …” she hesitated “What about my literature course?”

He chuckled “A writer shouldn’t be bound by a single program. A writer should feel liberated; that’s what writing is all about. If I haven’t caught sight of your potential, I wouldn’t have asked you to write a different genre in the first place. You were born to tell stories Lady Scholar; I trust that you will deliver yours truthfully”.

External Dormitory, Room 613 – 3.09 PM

“Thank you for everything Pr. Jenkins, I will not disappoint” Lexi ended the call.

Becoming a writer was her constant wish for almost three years; and this bachelor degree will give her the boost she needed to shine in her field. Only this time, her heart wasn’t only faithful to ink and paper.

Kneeling on the floor, she tried to process everything that Pr. Jenkins had laid upon her. Ten minutes is all it took to break Lexi’s balance, a balance that she had fought so hard to retrieve.

Upon hearing steps approaching the laundry room, she tried to compose herself, but failed miserably. Feeling Namjoon’s presence by her side calmed her for a moment before it wrecked her all over again. Unable to look him in the eye, she mumbled “Namjoon, we need to talk”.

“What’s wrong baby? Who was that on the phone?” he worriedly questioned.

“That was Pr. Jenkins, he is back from his mission abroad and he called to deliver some news” taking a deep breath, she gathered her strength to engage in another nerve wrecking conversation “It’s about my creative writing essays”.

“Well, that’s great news! What is all this commotion about then?” he asked, still unable to understand her sudden change of mood.

“He signed me up for a program next fall in the university where his mission took part. My file is being transferred as we speak” she finally disclosed, almost not believing her own words.

As the situation started to clear up, he inquired “How long is this program?”

“Two years. I have to leave by the end of the summer” she revealed “I’m not even sure if I want this anymore”.

Finally gathering the pieces, Namjoon brought Lexi closer to him, tightening his embrace. Despite not saying a word, the couple knew what this sudden news meant for them. He could feel her tears soak his chest.

“Go for it, Alexandra” he whispered in her ear “You have worked hard for this your whole life, don’t let anything get in the way of your dreams”.

She objected “But this is not anything, this is us: I don’t want to give up on us”.

“Ya Jagi, no one is asking you to do that” he nervously chuckled “Besides, we still have the whole summer in front of us. Let’s live it one day at a time”.

“Aish, I don’t want to think about this any further … I just want to cherish every moment we get to spend with one another from here on” she put her arms around him, initiating a bear hug as if she was going to lose him in that very moment.

Suddenly, the washing machine signaled the end of the cycle “Your shirt is ready; let me dry it for you”.

BIGHIT Recording Studio – 4.30 PM

Lexi dragged her feet to work. For the first time since she started working, her smile completely faded away. As she accessed the st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter