Inner Monster

Muse: Chronicles of a Nomad
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

David has been out of sight for about two weeks now. For reasons unbeknown to Lexi, he dodged all of her calls and ignored her messages. She even knocked on his dorm room every day after coming back from the studio, but no one answered. Ultimately giving up, she sent him one final text “I don’t know what you’re going through right now but just know that I’m only ten steps away. Be well”.

BIGHIT Recording Studio – 4.12 PM

Namjoon has been spending the night at the studio. He was working on a new project, and he didn’t want to lose his focus by going back to the dorm. He basically hibernated inside the recording room, continuously listening to a fresh beat and trying to come up with profound lyrics.

Lexi, on the other hand, calmly went through her usual homework. Observing her mentor through the glass, she admired his perseverance and dedication. She pushed herself hard to walk in his footsteps, but she knew that her lyrical capacity was no way near his, even with the extensive training she has been receiving so far.

Noticing her fixated eyes on the recording room, Namjoon paused the playing melody and headed out.

“Is the music too loud? I told them to make the room soundproof but I guess there are still some glitches” he said, breaking her focus.

“Animnida, I was just taking a break and I spaced out looking at you work” she clarified shyly before continuing “Are you working on a new concept for BTS?”

“No, it’s a collaboration. I’ve been assigned to co-write the lyrics and it’s draining me out” he vented.

“Is it a new cypher?” she curiously asked, to which he revealed “No, it’s actually a ballad”.

“Rap Monster writing a ballad, this should be interesting” she jokingly teased.

“Well, this rising ballad monster is taking a break for today” he manifested “Have you ever read your work to a beat before?”

Namjoon ushered Lexi to the isolation booth. She has never thought of setting foot in such place since her skills only required ink and paper. As she approached the microphone, she could think of a million things to recite but she never read her work out loud before. Breaking her moment of awe, her mentor brought a certain document and put it in front of her on the sheet music stand.

“Here” he demanded as he went back to the control room “I want you to read this. Let me know when you’re ready”.

In front of her laid one of her most painful drafts, the song that she submitted on her interview. Of all her work, these lines hurt her the most because she could never fully read the text without breaking down. Her eyes went through the script in distress, looking for comfort in her lines to build her confidence, but her soul broke further with every passing verse.

[VERSE 1]
Dear Mama, aren’t you growing tired of the never ending drama?
Look at you, when was the last time you had a good night sleep?
Let me hear about your moments that you cherish deep(ly)
What are your happiest memories?
Remember them, use them and feel them
Can’t you see, they are your sole remedy
Forget about the pain, stop making it your anthem
[CHORUS]
Inner monster , we’re all possessed by one
Depression, that soul-consuming demon
People ignore how grave it is, how complex
It is, how it makes you confused, all perplexed
Dear Mama, won’t you give your heart a break ?
[VERSE 2]
Let me be your whole world, Jebal (please)

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter