Not made of gold nor silver.

Waking up without you.

"Do you, perhaps, know him?"

"Of course, Sica. We went on the same high school with Jonghyun."

"Really? You're so lucky, Sekyungie! How was he back then?"

That one question triggered it all. She knew the persons involved, she knew them well. She was one of the rare individuals who knew about the two males' relationship. No, nobody told her. Knowing about them was an accidental discovery. A blessing, as she liked to put it.

She knew but never told a soul. She was waiting for the right time to strike back.

Even after they have graduated and went their separate ways, she held a deep grudge against them and it only got worse when she knew of the younger male's slowly rising popularity in the same industry as hers. Back then, she was already envious and jealous of Kibum. She pitied herself for not fitting in and not having true friends surround her every minute of the day. She hated Kibum for stealing everybody's attention without even trying. She loathed him for being loved by many but most especially, she resented him for having one faithful man by his side, his best friend. The same man of her dreams, Kim Jonghyun.

Charming, sweet, playful, caring, romantic, handsome -- Kim Jonghyun was the apple of her eyes.

She can stare at him all day long, but she knew he was a forbidden fruit. He was so busy looking at Kibum that he himself failed to see the growing attraction he had for the younger. He passed it off as caring for his best friend, but Sekyung's eyes were sharper. Her eyes saw through their facade and from that moment on, her attempts of getting the boy were initiated.

'I have to make him mine before he realizes his stupid feelings for Kibum'

Those words were etched at every corner of her mind.

So when the perfect opportunity visited her, she gladly took it. She was physically attractive and she took advantage of it. That night, she had him wrapped around her finger. His want for her was protruding and she loved it. The feel of his breath brushing against her neck, his thumb drawing circles on her thigh... she felt victorious. They were almost there. Almost.

That same night, she screamed a string of profanities, cursing just about everything around her for sending Kibum and his friends down on the same planet as hers. That same night, Jonghyun slipped away from her grasp. That same night, she faced defeat.

Because that same night, without even trying, Kibum had Jonghyun admit his feelings for him.

"Key-ssi? Hm, let's see. He's..."

Now that Jessica was eagerly asking, Sekyung was ecstatic. She would have let the past be, but lately, she was receiving less and less attention from sponsors, designers, and directors. All because of a pretty-faced, porcelain-skinned boy named Kim Kibum.

Months ago, Ha Sang Baek had his eyes set on her. She was the top candidate for his summer collection, there was no competition. She held her head high, her confidence overwhelming those around her. Things were going great for her, until he came.

The famous designer had a change of heart and didn't pick her photo amongst the others on the table. He picked Kibum -- a him, which was a rare case for runway finales. Devastated and angered, the grudge she thought she had thrown away resurfaced. She hated Kibum again, but this time, she only hated him more. She was supposed to rise at the top. She was supposed to claim all the spotlight. Etude House used to go after her, popular clothing lines used to beg for her.

Used to. She started to understand what the line 'so last season' meant.

"He's fawned over by the seniors before because of his dimples."

"I knew it! I guessed he's always been adorable because of his smile. Key is such a cutie, isn't he?"

"I guess so. Maybe that's why Jonghyun fell for him."

Her hatred made her fearless. As much as her career was at stake, she was just telling Jessica the truth. No harm done. There wasn't any false-truth stated because there was no need for it. By simply and casually telling her friend about her rival's escapades, she had already won. Having told Jessica's past relationship with Jonghyun just gave her the biggest advantage she could ever ask for.

"...What?"

"Oh, you didn't know? I thought you knew since you dated Jonghyun."

"...I... There must be some kind of mistake, Sekyungie... They're just... Best friends."

"I'm sorry, Sica. I thought you- Oh god. Nevermind. They used to date in the past but since you started dating Jonghyun, maybe they broke up somewhere along the way."

She laid a hand atop her obviously confused friend, feigning a look of sympathy. She was a model, an actress. This was a piece of cake for her, almost close to breathing.

"...He said he's been... In love with somebody... Even before he- we-"

"He's with Key. I was actually quite surprised when you told me you were dating Jonghyun, 'cause I never heard of them breaking up. If that's the case, then...?"

"...He told me I was the... other woman..."

"I'm sor-"

"But I'm positive it isn't Key. They're just best friends. You're thinking wrong, Sekyungie."

"Sica, I'm not-"

"I have to go."

As she watched her friend leave, a deceitful smile graced her thin lips. Even with the denial, she knew Jessica already considered her words a close possibility. She was winning and she did it without dirtying her pretty little hands - she already had Jessica do that for her, without the poor soul's awareness.

If Jessica fails to break the two apart, she'll have to step in and bring out her hidden card. She is, after all, a jack of all trades.

 

 

 

 

[ Jessica ]

 

 

"Had enough yet, Sica?"

I lost. I couldn't believe I... lost. Not only was I tossed away in a corner watching my attempts to get you back dissolve in thin air, but I was also given the cruel fate of getting my heart rejected. Twice.

"Why? Why, Oppa?" My voice became hoarse from the thirty-minute-long tears that welled up as soon as the filming ended. Somehow, I had expected Onew to stay behind. And I was right.

Here I was, occupying a seat in his van with no one to rely on but him. His stage name suited him -- he was nothing short of gentle and soft. He had even asked his manager to spare us some time for ourselves, and I was really thankful for that.

He didn't answer my pleading question and instead remained silent, just like the entire time that I was sobbing. It was just what I needed -- silence. That, and the handkerchief he used to wipe away the tears.

"Oppa... why won't you say anything? Aren't you mad at me for trying to ruin them? Why are you so calm when it's so obvious that you like Key, too?"

I was desperate for answers. I wanted someone to tell me that I've done nothing wrong, that it's going to be okay, that it's not my loss. I wanted someone to understand. Unknowingly, tears started to roll down my cheeks again. I heard Onew sigh beside me and for the second time around, he wiped the wetness on my cheeks. We sat still for another ten minutes, letting the silence collide with the stillness of the night.

"Don't let a person's appearance swindle you, Jessica." Onew barely spoke as his soft voice echoed across the van.

"Then tell me, Oppa. What did I do that was so wrong to deserve this?"

"Nothing. You just fell for the wrong person at the wrong time."

There was a long pause as his words dawned on me. I've always had the feeling that my spot on your side was temporary, and it hurt to finally come face to face with reality. But Onew could have lent me a hand back there. I saw it in his eyes -- the hurt and disappointment of seeing Key with you. He could have given way for himself, but no, he just had to keep things to himself.

"We could have succeeded, Oppa... Jonghyun could have been mine, and Key... You had the chance, Oppa. You could have gotten his heart-"

"By how, Sica? By helping you hurt him? I don't think so. You've already done enough damage as it is, don't you think that's enough? Key is inside that hospital right now because of you! Did that help you get Jonghyun back? NO!"

I flinched beside him as his tone changed from being gentle to cold. I've never seen Onew so mad until now. I couldn't help but think that maybe, just maybe, I overdid it. Glancing hesitantly to my left, I saw him run his fingers through his hair, his sharp jaw clenching.

"You were right with one thing, Sica - I do like Key. But I would never, in the life of me, hurt him in any way for my own selfish needs. But you did. You hurt him, physically and emotionally. What's the prize, Sica? Jonghyun? If he is, then I don't think you've won. You just proved to everyone how shallow you are. If Jonghyun finds out what you did to Key, I don't think he'll ever forgive you."

By the time his truthful phrases reached me, I was trembling in fear. I didn't want you to hate me. With that thought alone, my eyes were b with tears again.

"Oppa, I'm sorry..."

"You should be saying that to Key. Now, go. Do some damage control. The reporters aren't going to shut up unless you disclose the issue." He chuckled bitterly and rubbed his temples. "You just had to cause a scene while MBC was filming the BTS for my comeback."

I looked down on my lap in complete shame. It wasn't even my music video and here I was, screwing everything up because of motives I didn't even know I had.

"I'm really sorry, Oppa. I... I'll fix everything."

I knew what had to be done.

"You're SNSD's main vocalist, Jessica. Don't settle for less."

I hesitated at first, but decided to let my curiosity take over. "What's your reason for not making a move on Key, Oppa?"

He chuckled, making me confused more than ever.

"Kim Jonghyun. I've known him longer than the silly kitty. Jonghyun's practically my brother now and I don't want to jeopardize our friendship just because we share the same feelings for Key."

With a stiff nod, I gave him a thankful smile and gathered my things. He slid the door open, being the gentleman that he naturally is, as I stepped out of the vehicle. When the door closed behind me, I took a deep breath and held myself high. I had to set things right. My heels tapped against the cemented grounds of the hospital's parking lot in sync with the nervous beat of my heart.

I had to let you go this time, don't I?

 

 

 

 

[ Key ]

 

 

She made a hundred-and-eighty-degree turn. She changed. Her words were no longer sweet and laced with adoration. No. They turned cold and vicious. All I wanted was to befriend her, to delete the memory allocated in my head with her underneath you. I was trying to forgive and forget, thinking how no human being was made perfect and was initially born a sinner. She wasn't perfect, and neither was I. She deserved the right of forgiveness and I ought to give her that.

I wasn't insensitive. I knew you were uncomfortable with her and yet I invited her for lunch. My intentions were not defined for there weren't any. I just wanted to be polite and give her the benefit of a doubt. Truthfully, I was very fond of her and I was gradually seeing why you cheated on me with her.

But there laid the problem itself -- you cheated behind my back. With her.

I didn't expect her to be the one to slap me with the forgotten nightmare. When she excitedly squealed about cooking for you every night, it stung. You were standing beside me, you should know how my body started to tremble and how my face was drained of all blood. The heartbreak was haunting me, and the worst thing was, the subject of it all stood in front of me.

All the nights I've waited for you to come, you spent with her. All the dishes I've made for dinner were thrown away because you chose to eat with her.

With all the strength left, I managed to force a smile and let her link arms with you. I saw it, the guilty glance you directed at me but I chose to ignore it. Your expression told me you were against everything, but I wanted to give you one last chance. A chance to prove yourself. For the record, I haven't quite forgiven you yet. I simply brushed the issue because, as pathetic as it may sound, it pained me more to be without you.

I stared painfully at her arm looped around yours and was about to look away when you broke away from the contact and grabbed my hand instead. I sent you a worried gaze, afraid that she might take things differently. She was innocent, after all.

"The three of you are in the middle of a filming, do you seriously think you have enough time to even drive to your place? We'll have a quick lunch at the restaurant across the street, if you have any objections, then don't come with us."

They were harsh and cold, your words were. It frightened me and almost immediately, I turned to her with wide eyes to try and make amends for the rude tone of your voice. She didn't deserve to be treated that way. Have you forgotten? She's a girl - frail and fragile. She spoke before me, though, with a confident smile dancing on her lips.

"No, it's fine. It's not like we haven't tried eating there before, right? Let's go, Jjongie."

Just when I thought the sting in my heart was subsiding, another blow from her came. She was becoming persistent and I was starting to wonder if she knew about you and I. Her fruit-decorated flip flops squeaked against the floor as she skipped to your other side and once again, lacing her arms on your free one. I felt your hand tightening its grip on mine and felt your body shrugging her away but to no gain. She was already tugging your on your arm and pulling you to move forward, but I was petrified. I didn't want to share. Not again. Not when you told me she was the mistake, not me.

"Don't let her get to you, Baby. I need you to trust me on this."

You whispered them in my ears as if they were supposed to make me feel any better. They didn't. Trust? That was the last thing I had in mind. You lost my trust a long time ago and it wasn't going to come back any time soon.

She kept tugging until you had no other choice but to be pulled by her, causing me to follow as our hands were still tightly laced. How did I even end up in this situation? All I wanted was to be nice and put every bad memory behind.

I was like a rag doll being dragged by my owner -- lifeless.

Did I ever mention how Jinki loved to appear whenever I feel like the world has turned its back on me? 'Cause that was what he did. He pulled me away from your hold and secured an arm on my waist. When you and Jessica turned to see who it was, my old rabbit just smiled and beckoned the two of you to walk ahead while we stayed close behind. Somehow, it wasn't as painful anymore. The instant the four of us set foot on the restaurant, one of the waitresses automatically smiled at the sight of you and her. I wouldn't be surprised if I were to find out that you two were a regular at this place. While ache-causing thoughts plagued my mind, Jinki just pulled me closer to his side as if to say he was with me.

"Table for two, Jonghyun-ssi?" The waitress giggled, sending a knowing smile to you and Jessica. Yeah, you have definitely frequented this place with her.

Instead of being a gentleman and explain that it wasn't just the two of you this time, you harshly freed your arm from her vice-like grip and completely ignored the host. Within seconds, I found myself being pulled away from Jinki, the all-too-familiar warmth of your hand engulfing mine. You turned your attention back to the waitress, a cold stare making her lose the smile she had earlier.

"Table for four please."

I was surprised you even managed to ask nicely despite your heated temper. Being an idol and keeping your image clean wasn't easy. The waitress immediately bowed in acknowledgement and led us to a secluded booth, large enough for the suggested number of persons. I guessed that idols were given their privacy this way. I didn't dare utter a word even when you told me to take the empty space beside you on the u-structured sofa. As if on cue, Jessica plopped down on your other side and scooted closer than necessary. I felt your muscular arm snake around my waist, your mint-y breath hitting my ear as you leaned in to whisper something I wasn't expecting to hear at all.

"I love you, Kibum."

I froze, the world seemed to have stopped revolving. It has been a long while since I felt your sincerity with those three words connected to my name. And just like that, all the worries that were lurking in my head diminished.

When the ordered dishes arrived, Jessica became annoyingly clingy. She would pick up a piece of sushi from her plate and would insist on shoving it in your mouth. The look in her eyes told me she wasn't going to give up soon. Unless you do something about it.

And gladly, you did.

"Will you please stop it? I can feed myself."

I almost choked on my food when you pushed her eager hand away.

 "But, Jjongie, you love sushi! Here, say ah~"

I flinched when you slammed your fist on the table, almost snapping the pair of chopsticks you were holding. It was obvious that have had enough of her since you couldn't eat properly what with her constantly bumping on your left hand. I could already hear your teeth gritting in annoyance.

"Jessica, there's not much time left. Finish what's on your plate and leave Jonghyun alone. He's old enough to fend for himself, don't you think?"

The muse bit her lip, unable to go against the old hare's words. The thankful smile you sent Jinki didn't go unnoticed by me and I mentally noted how I needed to scold you two for egging on her.

As soon as the light atmosphere was back and small conversations between us -- excluding Jessica who remained silent for the rest of the meal -- were made, I felt my tensed body relax. That didn't last for long though. It was either you were pushing Jessica to her limits or you were just plain insensitive of her current emotions.

"Eat a lot, Bummie. You're too skinny." I blinked rapidly as I watched my plate being filled with food from your plate.

I puffed my cheeks at the sudden turn of events but obliged in devouring all of them anyway. That one second I took a risk in glancing at Jessica was a huge mistake for she was sending daggers towards my direction. I didn't think someone could literally kill by just looking, but at the time, I believed she could.

When the time came for us to head back, you no longer walked beside her. Instead, you held a firm grip on my hand and led the way with the grandfather rabbit and Jessica following behind. I looked over my shoulder and Jinki gave me his sweetest smile that once made my heart skip a beat. I wondered what happened that it didn't have the same effect on me anymore. I returned his smile and quickly turned in front to watch where I was going.

As we set foot back on the set, the production team was already packing all necessary props and devices for the pool recording. I peaked a brow at you when I felt my hand being squeezed tightly by yours. I was about to ask what it was that you wanted when I heard Jessica scoff from behind, her eyes rolled in what I sensed was annoyance. She pushed past me and purposely bumped her shoulders with mine which made me stumble back but I was quickly caught by Jinki who was standing nearby.

I mouthed a small thank you as he smiled and patted my back before telling me to also pack up for the site relocation. I nodded in agreement and watched as he walked to his own dressing room first to get his stuff.

I faced you with a smile, my heart feeling filled with a sudden contentment.

"I need to go, Jjong, and so do you."

You stared at me for what seemed like hours with those beautiful brown orbs piercing through me like a needle. I saw all kinds of emotions but above everything else, I saw love. You definitely redeemed yourself back there, alright. I wasn't neglected, I wasn't put to shame.

I felt important, I felt loved.

"Be safe."

I smiled with my dimples, showing just how much happy I was. Before I knew it, you were slowly inching closer. I should have panicked, I should have pushed you away. Not only were there people around, but I wasn't supposed to give in so easily.

But like all the times your musky scent lingered a little bit too long in the air, I was shamelessly in and drowned.

I was afraid that my heart would jump out of my chest and that I would die even before our lips touched because I was holding my breath for too long. Only an inch away, only a breath apart and the walls that I put up so hard would finally crumble to pieces. I gazed at your expressive eyes as they fluttered close...

Until the device in my pocket went off, causing me to quickly take a step back and look away completely flustered. I heard a snarl from you and I bit my lip to keep myself from chuckling at your frustrated state. Yeah, I had your every expression memorized since years ago.

I pulled my mobile phone out of my pocket and looked at you before answering the call. You raised an eyebrow as if to ask who it was. As I checked the caller ID, a soft chuckle left my lips when the name of the perfect er appeared. I slid the green icon and answered the call that saved me from giving in to you so effortlessly.

"Hey." I eyed your grumpy figure before me as I spoke, your arms crossed over your chest.

"Kibum!"

"Hello to you, too. Why'd you call?" A smile was pasted on my face while you kept questioning me who the caller was with a hushed tone and kept tugging on the sleeve of my button-up shirt.

I heard a lot of rambling on the other line and whiny voices which made me smile wider the moment I recognized who they belonged to.

"Aish! Kibum, these two kept bugging me to ca-"

"KIBUMMIE! I MISS YOU SO MUCH! WHE-"

"KEY-UMMA! LET'S PLAY TODAY, PLEASE!"

"Yah! Be quiet, you two! Hello? Kibum, you still there?" I giggled softly, my mood being uplifted by Seunghyun and Taemin's voice. "They're bored and want to play with you. Minki wants to see you, too! You think you can spare us some time?"

I chewed on my lip, disappointed that I couldn't spend time with them because of work. In the corner of my eye, I noticed you talking shortly with Yunhee as she also gave me a signal to start packing up. I nodded at her and raised my free hand as if to say that I'd be over in a minute.

"I can't, Minho-ah. I got work 'til tomorrow. We're actually about to head to our next filming location. Tell the kids I'm sorry, 'kay?" I softly mouthed, hoping my son would understand.

The other line made some rustling noises, the faint voice of Minho explaining things to the two echoed through the speaker. I waited patiently, focusing my attention on my abused shoulder where you were nibbling harshly to get me to talk to you.

"Kibummie?" I recognized the voice as Seunghyun.

"Hi, Seunghyunnie."

"Where's your next location?" The tone he used wasn't even close to being playful and it surprised me.

"Remember the indoor resort we went to last year? We're moving to film there. Why?" I explained and asked at the same time.

There was a moment of silence and the next thing I knew, Minho was bidding me goodbye but not before reminding me to stay away from the water. How could I, when playing all sweet and cuddly with Jessica in the water was part of the job?

I shrugged the thought and just put the phone back in my pocket. Not long after, you were gone to attend your rehearsals after asking me why Minho called. I simply stated that two bored skinny males wanted to play but was declined because of my schedule. The almost-goodbye-kiss turned into a hug, but I couldn't be more thankful. I wasn't sure how I would handle things from then on. Jessica changed in a blink of an eye -- no warnings whatsoever. It was pretty obvious that she wasn't going to be friendly anymore, which scared me. If that happened, being professional on set would be beyond difficult. She gave me a weird feeling, though, that she knew something.

That she knew of my past relationship with you.

But she couldn't have known. There was no way.

When we reached the destination, I somehow felt relaxed as the memories of playing with Seunghyun and the others in the pool flashed in my thoughts. Of course, I wouldn't really consider it playing since I ended up sitting in a corner because I didn't know how to swim. Nonetheless, it managed to calm my nerves down.

An hour has passed and the lightings, cameras, and other paraphernalia were set while Yunhee worked on my make-up for the scene -- those cosmetics that didn't come off easily when splashed by water really came in handy. I didn't know how many times she scolded me for frowning while she was working on me but it couldn't be helped. I was growing anxious by the minute. The wrist watch that Yunhee had told me that it was already four-forty in the afternoon and I wondered how long it would take for the whole filming to end. I was already tired just worrying about Jessica and my fate with the cold water.

Soon, I was called to the set together with her who just finished changing clothes for the pool scene. Again, our outfits complemented each other in courtesy of the costume director. She wore her hot pink bathing suit underneath a swimming shorts that reached not even half her thighs paired with a white tank top. As much as I wanted to cover myself with more clothes, I couldn't and instead was forced to wear almost the same thing as her, except mine was in pearl aqua blue.

"You ready, Key?" She questioned as she approached me, her brown locks tied up in a neat bun and her arms crossed against her chest.

Should I pretend that I feel okay with her tossing me back and forth, not really catching on what her intentions were?

"I guess. Let's do well, Noona." I was surprised of my own steady voice but looked down on the ground as soon as I finished talking. I heard her scoff which caused me to look back up at her.

"We really should. I don't plan on being stuck with you for long, Key." She batted her eyelashes innocently in contrast to the venomous words she spat.

I gulped in fear but for the umpteenth time, the loving rabbit hopped to my rescue and tugged me by the wrist.

"Kitty, are you nervous?" He asked with that sweet smile of his.

In this, I nodded. I was too scared to utter a word with her around, glaring at me to no end.

"Don't be. Don't you know how great of a swimmer I am? I can totally save you, you know!" He exaggerated. Of course, he would.

His little statement successfully drew a small smile on my face. As if on cue, the production director instructed us to take our place by the steps of the pool and sit there side-by-side. It was a relief that the farthest we were going were the stairs which meant that the water would only reach up to my waist if seated. I it up and forced a smile, preparing for the water to splash on both me and her as the assistant director snapped the slate. Unlike before where my smile was genuine, the scene forced me to move against my will. Every time my fingers brushed against her skin, I would feel terrified as if I did something wrong. What made it worse was the little NG's in between when the director would speak through his megaphone, telling us that we looked awkward and tensed.

The only thing that kept me going was seeing Jinki on the set, watching me with encouraging eyes.

Minutes turned to hours and before I knew it, the sun has set (not that I could see through the roof) and it was already time for dinner. The remaining scenes to film were all of Jinki's solo shots and I was glad my part was over. Being with Jessica was nerve-wracking and I wouldn't want to do it ever again even if it meant getting paid for a good amount of money.

My manager slung a towel over my shoulders to dry me off as soon as I got out of the pool. The night was cold considering we were already doing the shot indoors. I looked around and there weren't that much civilians but then I remembered how the company reserved this specific area of the resort for the recording.

I followed my manager to my dressing room, my toes turning white because of the cold temperature. I was greeted by Yunhee and another coordi-noona who was holding dry clothes for me. Grabbing the clothes, I bowed and thanked them before heading inside the bathroom installed in the room. I got rid of my wet clothes and put on the dry ones, thinking I could just take a shower at home since I was too exhausted at the time and not to mention starving. It was then that I realized something was missing while I was drying my hair with the towel. The mirror hanging on the bathroom wall confirmed it when the colorful toy ring wasn't hugging my fourth finger. Panic shot through me and I bolted out of the room, informing my manager that I forgot something by the pool and would be back quickly.

Reaching the edge of the pool, I crouched carefully and squinted my eyes to see if I dropped it in the water. It was quite a challenge, considering the fact that the water was constantly moving, causing it to blur. The ring was colorful, it shouldn't be that hard to find. I stood up once again and walked over the steps of the pool where we filmed a few minutes ago, avoiding to fall in since I was already dried up. My eyebrows creased as I continued to search for that one little thing.

That one little thing that meant almost everything to me.

"Looking for something, Key?"

I turned around after hearing Jessica's voice. I was too engrossed in finding the ring that I didn't even hear her nearing me.

"Uhm, kind of." I rubbed the side of my neck and bit my lip, hoping she'd leave soon.

"What are you looking for? Maybe I can help." She took a step closer, hands behind her back.

"I-It's okay. I'm sure it's just here somewhere." I stuttered, immediately diverting my focus on the pool before me.

I squinted my eyes more, hoping to find the ring fast so that I could get away from her. I was positively sure that I didn't take it off and that it must have fell while we were playing in the water earlier.

"What does it look like?"

I wished she would just let me be, but the gods and goddesses above must have something else in mind for letting her stay here while I look for our couple ring. It wasn't made of gold, It wasn't made of silver. It wasn't something shiny, but it painted my world into something colorful.

"It's... small and colorful." I curtly responded, not bothering to look up at her.

"Oh, ther perhaps you're looking for this?"

Her sudden question caused me to turn to her. My eyes widened at the thing she was holding.

There it was, resting on her palm was the colorful band that I treasured all these years.

"Noona... you found it! Thank y-" I went to get it from her when she suddenly pulled her hand back and raised a brow at me.

"Nah-ah-ah!" She wiggled her index finger, forbidding me to take a step closer. "Finders keepers, Key-ah. Since I found it, don't you think it's just right that I keep it?"

"But-"

"Hmm, you think the reporters will write articles about me when I put this on?" She said, examining the ring closely. "After all, it's a couple ring, right?"

I stood frozen, my eyes fixed on the ring. What did she expect me to say? I wasn't about to tell her anything and ruin your singing career.

"Noona, p-please give it back..."

"Did you really think you can keep your dirty little secrets, Key?" She stopped fiddling with the ring and locked eyes with me. "I know all about you and Jonghyun. Aren't you a little ashamed of yourself for liking the same gender?"

I eyed the people around us only to find out that they all left to have supper. I prayed hard that Jinki would show up again and save me, but even he was busy with his interview.

"You want this back? You want your stupid couple ring back?"

I swallowed the lump that has formed in my throat and nodded hesitantly at her inquiry. I didn't care if it hurt my pride, being insulted by a girl who I know I could easily toss in the water. But I was too noble for that. At times like this, I couldn't care less if my thoughts drifted back to you. I wanted you to be near, to get the ring back from her and tell her off.

"Then get it yourself." She smirked cunningly.

Without giving it another thought, she threw the ring in the center part of the pool.

My body went numb. That part of the pool was the deepest and I couldn't possibly swim my way to the bottom, let alone dive in to get the ring.

You could drown. You could die, for Pete's sake!

Your scolding voice rang in my head. I should have listened to you, but instead, I jumped in and took the risk. I wasn't ready and would never be ready to give up my feelings for you. Therefore, I jumped. I struggled against the water, with every step, the depth rose. But I didn't care. I just wanted to bring the ring back and sleep.

Be safe.

I tiptoed my way to the center, the water reaching past my chin and touching my lower lip. Insoles really make a huge difference, huh?

I flailed my arms in attempt to get the water away from me but to no avail. Searching for something small and colorful, I turned my head from left to right, my vision blurred by the few splashes of water. After much effort, I spotted it a few feet away from where I was standing. Everything will be alright as soon as I get my hands on that ring, was my last thought before I took in a lungful of air and submerged myself in.

I never learned how to swim, even floating didn't work for me. My only chance of enjoying swimming pools and beaches was when you came with me. You were always there to hold my hand and carry me up when the water went a little too high -- though your height can only take so much. Nonetheless, I was always dependent on you.

I could feel it -- the air escaping my lungs. It burned consistently as I held my breath and neared the troublesome ring.

I can make it through, I mentally cheered for myself as the tip of my fingers finally touched the colorful band. I forced myself forward to be able to grasp it fully, the upward current battling against my frame which made me bubble out some of the air left in my system. I caught it, I finally got it back. But I didn't realize what was fast approaching. I needed air. I needed to breath as soon as possible.

I swung my limbs to lift myself up, but straight away grew tired because of the lack of oxygen. I was tired. I wanted to sleep.

And slowly, I did. My body gave up and I let them. I was too exhausted to move, to breathe. I let the water fill my lungs and let my senses drop until everything around me faded. My lids gradually became heavy, the ring still clutched in my right hand. I was drowning...

Until a figure pulled me up to the surface.

I wanted to see who it was but I didn't have enough energy and air in me. It felt like I was breathing with water.

For the time being, I let myself succumb in darkness as I blackened out to rest.

 

 

 

 

[ Jonghyun ]

 

 

"Push more force in your diaphragm, you can reach higher notes than this, Jonghyun."

I nodded once again at the vocal trainer's command. She was right. I have been doing ad-libs of a much higher note than this one. I was doing well with the choreography a couple of hours ago, so why was this happening to me now?

I was about to belt in my best when a sudden knock was heard. The trainer and I turned to see the intruder and found my manager's head peeking in.

"Good evening, Ma'am. I apologize for intruding but may I please excuse Jonghyun for the night? There is an emergency and he needs to get to the hospital now."

He lost me when he mentioned the word 'emergency'. Suddenly, your face flashed in my head and I shivered, thinking how careless you tend to be. But you promised me you'd be safe, so I believed you.

Fortunately, my voice needed to rest and I was permitted to go. When we got to the van, I wasted no time in asking my manager what the matter was.

"Hyung, what's the emergency?"

He didn't respond quickly and it made me more nervous.

"I know how you told me not to bother you when you're working, but just this once, Jonghyun-ah. I don't want you to regret it later so I ignored your order just this once."

"Just tell me what happened, Hyung. You're making me nervous!"

"Key." He said in a low voice. "He fell in the water and almost drowned."