The one that already got away.

Waking up without you.

 

[ Jonghyun ]

 

I wasn't about to give you up. No.
I know better than to just throw everything away.

What did you expect?
That I'd be okay with this - you leaving without a trace? That I'd let you go that easily without you explaining the reason as to why you decided to disappear all of a sudden? That I'd be fine with all this you're putting me through?

Well, too bad, Kim Kibum.
'Cause none of those will ever happen.

There has to be a valid reason, some sort of truth I was not able to decipher, behind your abrupt departure. I'll do whatever it takes to find that out, to find you.

I grabbed the box of cereal that was idly placed on the corner of the dining table and poured its colorful contents on my milk-filled bowl. That's right, without you, breakfast will never be the same. It just felt so wrong to sit before the table without you, - your warm smile, your love-filled eyes, cute button-like nose - to wake up te next morning without your warmth.

The house felt empty.
My heart felt empty.

The pain was enveloping me, I was left here without anything to hold on to, it was as if our love never existed. I was pondering deeply, recalling every possible fault done - if there were any - within the last couple of months. Did I ever hurt you? Did you fall out of love? Did you find someone... better? No, it couldn't be any of that.

It wasn't long until my train of thoughts was broken by the sudden intrusion of knuckles tapping softly against the flat's wooden door. My body tensed, your smile suddenly flashing before my eyes.

Taemin has been wrong all along. You never left, in fact, you're standing on the opposite side of that door right this very moment.

I hurriedly stood up, abandoning the bowl of tasteless cereal on the table and almost stumbling on my way to get the door. The walls of my chest drummed rapidly, a huge grin forming on my lips.

Key.
The faster I open this goddamn door, the sooner you can run back to my arms.

I grabbed the knob, anticipation written all over my messed up face - what with all the sobbing, but I'll never admit that in front of you - taking a large amount of air, I pulled open the one thing separating me from you.

"Key! Where have yo-"

My heart sank to the bottom of the ocean, every hope I had left trampled on the cold ground.

"I doubt you'll  be seeing Kibum any time soon."  Instead of your pretty face, I was greeted by the annoying presence of your ex-boyfriend who was now showcasing an evil smug.

Why is he  here anyway? And who gave him the right to tell me whether or not I'll be able to see you? Cocky bastard. If only you didn't care for him as much, I'd beat the of him right this instant.

"Hello to you, too, Seunghyun."  I said through gritted teeth.  "What brings you here?"

"Oh, nothing important. Kibum just sent me to get something he carelessly left behind."

There are two things I hate most whenever I encounter this guy - One, the way he converses with me contrasts to that of when he speaks sweetly with you. Two, his use of your real name. It ticks me off knowing there's another being in this planet who's allowed to call you by your birth name other than me.

How ignorant can I be? How could I have thought that you'd even bother knocking when you know the door code yourself?

While I tried to suppress the boiling temperature that was builing up inside, realization slapped the hell out of my senses.

Your ex-boyfriend-turned-best-friend is standing in front of our doorway.
He came all the way here to get something for you.
You have no intention of coming back. At all.
You sent this ex of yours to gather whatever it is that proved you even existed.
This means, he knows where you are.

He ing knows where you are.

"W-Where is he? Tell me. NOW."  My voice betrayed me, giving away my desperation.

Of course, I should've known I wasn't having a normal conversation with a normal person. Instead of just giving me a proper answer, the only words that could probably save me from my misery of losing you, his lips turned into a wide, arrogant smirk and let out the most infuriating set of words that ever reached my ears.

"I'm quite positive he doesn't want to be found by an ugly dinosaur."

"I-I beg your pardon?"  I found myself stuttering, my eyes blinking a few times as I try to comprehend what just came out of his mouth.  "Did I hear you right? Who the hell are you to answer for my b- "

"Jjongie~"  A sweet voice cooed  from a distance.

Seunghyun and I turned our heads to the side only to see Jessica's figure fast approaching, her pink stilettos tapping against the marble floor.

. This is bad.
The last thing I need is Seunghyun finding out about my affair with Jessica, 'cause I'm sure as he;; he's going to squeal the oh-so-exciting news to you.

But everything's too late and in less than a minute, she had her petite frame pressed on mine, her arms curling around my neck.

"What are you doiong here, Sica?"  I asked, trying to break free from her suffocating grip.

"You just stormed out of the studio last night, you won't even pick up my calls~"  She cutely whined, pursing her lips into a pout. She must have noticed the other's presence and turned to face him.  "Oh, hey there, Seunghyun-ah. Why're you here?"

You'd think that since Jessica's a girl - and not to mention she's a year or two older - Seunghyun would at least soften up a bit and give her respect, but no. He completely ignored her like the wind and kept his glare on me. A mischievous grin played on his lips, which made my body tense.

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch your question before we were rudely interrupted. What was it again? Who am I to answer for your... what?"

.
Not only did he catch me red-handed, he used that new knowledge to play dirty.

He ing knows I won't risk my career for anything, not when I'm already on my third full album.
I can't, I just... I won't.

"Thought so."  He triumphantly said when no words came out of my mouth. Add his sly grin on the list and he'd make a perfect son of the devil.

"What's he talking about, Jjong?"

"Nothing, Sica. Go wait for me inside, I just need to talk to Seunghyun."  I said, getting her out of earshot.

We remained silent as she hesitantly nodded her head once before entering the apartment. Once the door closed behind us, I locked glares with the boy in front of me.

"So, loverboy, save yourself from further embarrassment and just hand over Kibummie's hoodie. You wouldn't want to keep her waiting now, would you?"  Satan's spawn broke the silence in a way that made me just want to stab him in the chest multiple times.

" off."  I hissed.

"Oh? Then you don't mind me spilling the beans to Kibum?"

"You wouldn't. And will you please... stop using Key's real name? You're not entitled to it."  I threatened, but somewhere deep inside, I was secretly trembling.

You didn't have to know.
I was going to stop messing around, I was going to end it with her.
For you.

Instead of getting a snarky response from Lucifer's fawner like what I had anticipated, a lopsided smile tugged the corners of his mouth.

"Believe me, I would. Only... I didn't have to."

"W-What?"  For a second there, my stupid brain picked the wrong time to play dumb.

He rolled his eyes on me, sighing heavily which I assumed was intended to piss me off.  "I knew you were empty-headed, but I didn't know you were this big of a flea-brain! Why do you think Kibum left a douche like you?"

"He didn't leave! H-He'll be... back."  Right, Yeobo?

"Please, stop being so in denial. You look pathetic."

"Shut up. What do you know, you're just an ex-boyfriend, and a clingy one at that."  I spat every word with poison.

"And so are you."

"We're not on the same page, Brat."

"At least I wasn't caught cheating, unlike some mongrel."

My mind suddenly went blank. And for the first time in history, Seunghyun's words actually made sense. The truth was gradually falling into place, revealing itself before my eyes.

Kibum sent me to get something he carelessly left behind.

You were serious when you said you'd leave, making Jeju Island an excuse.

I'm quite positive he doesn't want to be found by an ugly dinosaur.

You didn't want me to find you. You put an end to our relationship when you stepped out of our the apartment.

Why do you think Kibum left a douche like you?

You knew.
You knew all along yet you never confronted me.

At least I wasn't caught cheating, unlike some mongrel.

I ing cheated, you found out.
I kept pushing you away, you left.
While I was lusting over her, you were at home hurting.

As if on cue, Seunghyun's ring tone went off, causing both of us to jump a little. Without taking his death glare off me, he pulled his phone out and picked up. His expression softened within the blink of an eye, making me crease my eyebrows in curiousity.

"You called, Princess?... Yeah, but t-rex refused to give it... B-But--"

Whoever was on the other line sure turned Seunghyun into a tamed lion. While I was busy listening to the brat's responses, the door behind me peeked open and out came SNSD's main vocalist.

"Jjong, what's happening out here?"

"Didn't I tell you to patiently wait for me inside? Seunghyun and I haven't finished our business yet."  My voice might have come out harsh which explains the shocked looked on Jessica's face. But right now, that's far from my concerns. I was losing it, losing you.

She went back inside without protests, much to my relief. I tried focusing my attention back to the devil's minion who was, by now, smiling lika a complete bipolar idiot.

"--Okay, okay. Just so you know, the dude's glaring at me right now... Of course not... Yea, she's, uhh, here... Sure thing, Princess... Hold on, I'll relay your message--"

Seunghyun held the phone slightly away from his ear and looked at me, his serious demeanor long gone the second he answered the call.

"I'm being summoned by the Almighty Kibum, he said he won't be needing the hoodie anymore,"  He grinned, his dimples showing and his free hand raising up for a 'v' sign.  "See you around, Mutt~"

Before my mind can even process a word he said, Seunghyun already had his back on me, walking away like nothing happened. He stopped in front of the lift, pressing the down button while his mobile was clutched back to his ear. I could still hear the faint conversation he was having over the phone.

"--I'll take you shopping for a new hoodie, a much better one... Aish you're impossible, Kibum--"

So, the person on the other end was... you?

An all-too familiar ding was heard in time with the opening of the stainless doors. I watched as Seunghyun stepped inside.

"--I'm on my way down, Your Highness, so stop whining already... Yeah, yeah, your car better be there or no hoodie for you--"

The elevator slid close, leaving me with a hyperventilating heart.

You're in close range.
This may be my last chance to get you back.

My legs moved on their own accord, taking long strides towards the stairs. There was only one lift, the one Seunghyun got on. Time was running out and hurrying down the stairs seemed like the best and only option I've got.

You better wait for me, Key.
'Cause I'm slowly losing my sanity just to have you back in my embrace once again.

I forced my legs to their limit, running eight floors down with my short limbs at their fastest. My lungs were burning. With every breath, it felt like an acid was being poured all the way down my chest.

But I endured it.
Because no matter how much it hurts, the truth will still unleash itself - I didn't just hurt you, I broke you. That fact alone will surely eat me alive.

I'm guilty.
Of cheating.
Of disregarding you and your feelings.

I'm guilty, and I'm more than willing to be imprisoned. Not behind bars, definitely not in an asylum.

Take me, take me back in your heart instead.

Just a little more. When I finally reached the ground floor, I was a panting mess. I rested my palms in my knees, hunching my back as I take in a lungful of oxygen to keep me alive.

. I must have gone crazy to the extent that I even forgot I was still in my pyjamas.

Every unncessary thought were instantly casted aside, though, when I saw Seunghyun hopping inside a volvo that were parked in front of the apartment  building. Not just any volvo - an elegant silver volvo that practically yelled 'Key'. My heart banged every beat harder inside my chest.. Just a few more steps and I'll be able to see you again.

It was as if we were in some kind of drama, as if our life was scripted by some novelist, because you started to drive away just when I was about to close the short distance that separated our lives. I ran, chasing after you.

Chasing desperately after the one that already got away.

"Key! KEY!"

Please... hear me out just this once.

I kept screaming your name until my voice got hoarse but you just drove farther away. I couldn't be more thankful that it was still early in the morning, or people would find it pretty amusing to see an idol chasing and yelling after a volvo. Barefooted.

But just like the sad movies you spent hours watching, the leading man has to suffer an amount of rejections before living happily ever after with his one true love.

At that very moment, I felt rejected. If one day I were to find out that my now worthless life was written by another breathing creature, mark my words, I will suffocate that living soul to death.

There was nothing else I could do, so I stopped the chase.
I wasn't even aware of the tears that escaped my eyes.

Rejection, Hurt, Frustration, Anger, Longing.
If a person can still be called sane while having these mixed emotions take over his body, then I'll be damned.

I started my way back to the building, wiping the tears with the back of my palms.

I haven't got a clue as to what I want to do with my life from this point on. You're never coming back - enough for my once-perfect life to crumble down.

But there's only one thing that I'm sure of.
The moment I step inside our home, I will no longer welcomed by my one true love...

But by the worst mistake I ever made.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N:

You all thought I was dead, didn't you? Well, I kinda died. Because of school and work and everything else.
Also, forgive me if this chapter bored you to death. I just had the worst night of my life. So, yea.

Anyway, I finally let my best friend read my story (say whutttt?). YES, I finally had the courage to show this to her. LOL. And guess what? When I turned to look at her, she was teary-eyed. *laughing my pretty out*
She even wanted to kill Jonghyun for letting Key go. :))

Oh, credits to her for writing one of this chapter's paragraph (---> The pain was enveloping me...)! ♥

But after reading my fic, she started to bug me with an update.

Aish, that girl, really. >_<

Ooooh, it's 1:30 a.m. so I better hit the sack already! See you laturrrr~
WAIT! Before I go, mind telling me if you prefer to read Jjong's POV or Key's POV on my next update?

 

Goodnight, Deariessss! (Goodmorning to the others. :P)