Back to square one.

Waking up without you.

[ Third Person ]

 

 

He felt like going back in time, back when they were just best friends trying to understand each other without the need for words. A single glance was enough.

He held the younger in his arms, humming a lullaby that was only for him. The model knew the sweet melody by heart; he knew it was made for him alone. Kibum missed this. He missed the singer's voice, he missed being in his strong arms. He just missed Jonghyun so much.

As the sky cleared, both of them stayed still in bed - with Kibum on Jonghyun's lap, the model's head resting on the crook of the older's neck. They remembered the times when all they cared about was the other's safety, when fan girls and paparazzi weren't trying to invade their privacy. Those times so distant now.

Dreams were achieved in replacement of their carefree lives.

The room fell silent as the singer's lullaby was cut off when Kibum raised his head, feline eyes scanning the older's face. He pushed lightly on Jonghyun's chest to create a small gap, the brunette frowning at the sudden loss of warmth.

"Go change."
The blonde model instructed when he felt Jonghyun's shirt clinging onto his skin, reminding him how the older ran in the rain to see him.

"I don't have anything to change into. Just let it dry."
Jonghyun pouted a little. He felt the need to change, too, but there was nothing he could use.

"Then use mine. It's not like this is the first time you're going to wear them."

Kibum crawled out of bed and went to rummage his organized drawers for clothes the older could wear. Jonghyun was more built than him, leaving him with fewer options. After some thought, he settled with a black tank top topped with a blue checkered polo. He also pulled out a white ankle pants, thinking about the singer's height which was an inch or two shorter than his.

"Here, take a quick shower and dry off. There are clean towels and a new toothbrush in the bathroom."

"Do I have to?"
Jonghyun whined, grabbing a pillow to bury his face into.

"Yes."

"Whyyy?"

"Because I said so."

"But... whyyy?"

"Because if you don't, you'll get sick. And when you get sick, your career voice will be affected. And when your voice is affected, your career will be at risk. And when your career is at risk, I'll get worried. And when I--"

"You'll get what?"
Jonghyun's ears perked up, his head peaking out of the pillow.

Kibum blinked a few times, his cat-like eyes widening as his brain processed the words that had just left his mouth. He looked at the older who was already flaunting a mischievous grin before throwing the clothes straight at Jonghyun's face. Oh, how he wanted to wipe that stupid grin off the singer's lips.

"Stop wasting time and get changed already!"
The model exclaimed and crossed his arms against his chest. He his heels and stormed out of the room with a loud stomp against the carpeted floor.

As the door closed behind him, he couldn't help but smile, unaware of the fact that the singer also had a smile wider than his own. Some things just never change, and people say that the only thing permanent in this world is change itself.

Taking a deep breath, Kibum made his way to the kitchen and as he went, he glanced at his overly used wall clock -- eleven-thirty, it read. A soft sigh escaped his bow-shaped lips, grabbing hold of the pink apron that hung on the cupboards’ and looping it around his waist. He opened the refrigerator and took the necessary ingredients to make porridge.

Kibum wondered why he was cooking in the middle of the night when he should be resting. Then he remembered the stubborn older male who fought the rain just for him. As much as he had already sworn not to soften his heart when it came to Jonghyun, he couldn't -- not with those puppy eyes staring at him with so much love.

Despite experiencing a busy day, Kibum found himself humming to the tune of one of the singer's songs -- he knew all of them by heart for they were written in the past when Jonghyun had Kibum in between his legs and leaning against his chest. His focus was too much on cooking that he didn't notice another soul hovering just behind him.

Tanned, well-built arms wrapped around his waist, making him jump in surprise.

"Are you out of your mind, Jjong? I could've hit you with the hot spatula!"
The blonde shrieked, a hand clutching onto his heart. He tried to wiggle free from Jonghyun's grip, but to no avail. The brunette was much, much stronger than him.

After his many attempts of breaking away failed miserably, he gave up and just focused his attention back to his work. Jonghyun rested his chin on Kibum's shoulder, just enjoying the little things that both of them missed for months. The singer's hot breath hit the model's neck, which sent electricity down his spine and blood up his cheeks.

"Yeobo, I'm not wearing a shirt."

Kibum froze at the older's words. He angled himself a little to get a better view of Jonghyun, wanting to make sure that what he was told wasn't a silly prank.

And it was true that Jonghyun indeed was wearing nothing but his boxers.

"Y-ya! I gave you clothes, didn't I? Wear those!"
The model quickly looked away with a tinge of pink on the surface of his cheeks. Friends weren't supposed to feel embarrassed just by the sight of a perfectly sculpted abs, but then again, Kibum and Jonghyun have never been just normal friends.

"But I'm not comfortable sleeping in those!"
Jonghyun started with his tantrum and pulled Kibum closer.

"What do yo- NO! You are not going to sleep here. Go home after eating this, understood?"

Kibum turned to face the singer only to be met by round puppy eyes matched with pouted lips. The younger has never won against those pleading eyes, and Jonghyun was well aware of it.

The singer waited for it, counting 'til five.

"Okay, okay! Just... stop doing that adorable dog face."
Kibum's words almost turned into a whisper by the time he reached the end of the sentence.

Jonghyun bounced in happiness as he was already expecting the younger to give in. In his excitement, he accidentally kissed the model on the cheek.

Both of them froze, eyes constantly blinking as their minds tried to process the 'accident'.

"Ya! Go find something to wear in my drawer and stop bugging me! You'll sleep on the couch!"
Kibum pushed the older away, turning his back on him with cheeks tainted red as he finished cooking the porridge.

As soon as Jonghyun made it out of the kitchen, a sigh of relief left Kibum's lips. He should have known this was going to happen the moment he let out the word 'friends'. The majority of his high school memories with the singer consisted of skinship, skinship, and more skinship. The title 'king of skinship' wasn't made in vain.

When they turned from friends into best friends, things just got worse. At first glance, people would have assumed they were a couple. Best friends who refuse to acknowledge their feelings for the other -- just like how they are now.

They were back to square one, back to appreciating the small things that made the other smile.

"Bummie, does this look okay?"
Jonghyun asked as he returned from putting some decent clothes on. He wore one of the blonde lad's gray sweat pants paired with the black tank top that Kibum had laid out.

"Whatever's fine, Jjongie. Now, will you please behave like the dog you are and sit down?"
The younger nagged, not even sparing the singer so much of a glance. He wouldn't admit it but he was afraid of blushing again and again whenever Jonghyun's muscles flexed. The brunette's arms were no joke.

"Again, say it again."
Jonghyun, who was standing two feet from the younger, mouthed with his crooked smile that Kibum could never, not in his over two decades of life, resist. That crooked smile made his fan girls swoon, and Kibum was no different.

"S-say what again?"

Don't stutter, stupid! Kibum reprimanded himself in his thoughts.

"The name you called me. Say it again."

The model thought about it, weighing the consequences as it dawned on him what the older was referring to.

"J-jongie..."
The name came out in a small voice.

Jonghyun didn't say anything anymore, he was more than satisfied. Hearing Kibum call him with endearment already made his heart swell. It gave him the tiniest bit of hope that one day, even if that day came years later, the one in a million feline beauty would forgive him.

Unaware of Kibum's feelings, Jonghyun failed to notice the already penetrated barriers of the model.

 

 

Kibum's eyes were glued on the bundle of papers in his hand, reading the flow of events thoroughly and creating an image in his head as to how he would act the scene out. He promised himself he'd do well and be all professional about it, casting aside his personal issues from work.

As he laid his worn body in bed, his eyes landed on a few lines on the script. He was glad the script only contained the flow of scenes and not dialogues for he was afraid of messing things up. Kibum squeezed his eyes shut in devastation and gritted his teeth. He could take to act sweet with Jessica, pretend to laugh with her, hold her hand while walking at a park, and cuddle with her in bed.

But planting a kiss on SNSD's main vocalist was out of the question.

If it was another girl, he'd do it just for the sake of being professional. But the female lead just had to be her, and Kibum couldn't bring himself to do it.

A light tap on his door brought him back from drowning in his thoughts. He almost forgot about the persistent soul he left in the dining. The door gradually opened, Jonghyun's head peaking in.

"Bummie...?"
The brunette mouthed, his gaze locking with the younger.

Kibum tore his eyes from the script and turned to look at the older.

"What, Jjong?"

Jonghyun pushed the door open to reveal his arms hugging the pillow and blanket that the younger gave him. He was ordered to sleep on the couch, after all. The model raised a questioning brow at him.

"I miss you, Bummie. Please let me cuddle with you."
Jonghyun softly said with his infamous pout. He did not just say it to be able to sleep on the younger's bed. No. He meant it, every drop of sincerity shown in his brown orbs.

Kibum should have nagged and protested, he should have said no... but he didn't. He was too tired and sleepy to even scold his ex-lover for pushing his limits. Instead, he sighed and patted the empty space beside him for Jonghyun to take.

The singer didn't hesitate and quickly jumped on the bed with Kibum. The model watched in amusement as the blanket that Jonghyun was holding was thrown on the ground.

"Wha--"

"I want to share a blanket with you."
Jonghyun cut all Kibum's interrogations and got under the younger's sheets, his pillow neglected somewhere and his arms wrapping around the other's waist.
"Mmh, much better."

Kibum could only blink at the sight of Jonghyun cuddling him.

For the time being, he let him.

He let his ice cold heart be melted once again by the same person who turned it that way. He let his guard down not because he was being stupid, but because even though he wouldn't admit it -- at least not now -- his heart still jumped two beats faster with the singer.

'Never again'
His own words rang in his head, reminding him of the night Jonghyun came sang pleadingly for him to take the singer back.

He thought he could do it -- erase every inch of feelings he had left for his ex. But all those self-pledges were rendered useless.

He pushed away all his thoughts and turned back on reading the script he was holding. Personal matters shouldn't interfere with work, he kept repeating internally.

"What are you reading?"
Jonghyun looked up from burying his face on Kibum's shoulder to the bundle of papers.

"Some sort of script for tomorrow's filming..."
The model mumbled nonchalantly as he was so into drawing the scene in his head.

"What filming?"

Kibum sighed and put down the script. He was clearly distracted by the singer and decided to just explain things first to him so that he can get back to reading.

"Seriously, Kim Jonghyun. I'm losing focus because of you."

"Isn't that a good thing?"
Jonghyun chimed in only to earn a death glare from the younger.

Kibum rubbed his temples but continued anyway.
"For the next two to three days, I'll be with Jinki and... Jessica-noona to film that old rabbit's music video. I'm reading the concept and storyline now, as you can already see."

"Don't do it."
The singer blurted out of nowhere, the stern tone he used startling Kibum.

"Stop saying non-sense, Jjong. This is strictly work."
Although the model was unsure of his own words, he needed to scold himself that she was innocent of any relationship he had with Jonghyun.

She wasn't aware of anything, she was a victim herself.

"Alright,"
The older gave up. He knew how important work is for Kibum.
"but at least rest for now. Go over the rest of the script tomorrow."

Jonghyun snatched the bundle from the model, setting it down on the bedside table. The blonde-haired lad sighed in defeat, his heavy eyelids confirming his exhaustion.

Just as he was about to drift into dreamland, Jonghyun turned the lights off and went back to bed with him.

"Bummie."
The singer whispered in the dark as he pulled Kibum's slim frame against his.

Half-awake, the younger hummed in response and snuggled closer for the all-too familiar warmth he had missed.

"Don't sleep yet. Let's talk."
Jonghyun tried again, his fingers combing his ex's soft locks.

But Kibum was too tired to talk, so he ended up with another hum. He was so close to falling asleep, though he was trying his best to stay awake for the older.

"You know, I really missed you."
The singer softly said while playing with Kibum's hair.
"I'm sorry I broke your heart."

Jonghyun looked down on his chest where Kibum's head was resting. He let go of the blonde locks, moving his hand down to trace the younger's beauty -- from his thick eyelashes, his cute button-like nose, his high cheekbones, his heart-shaped lips, to his perfect jaw line.

"Beautiful... I just, forgot how... Beautiful you are."
He mumbled to himself while taking in every flawless feature of the man in his arms, the moonlight passing through a slit on the curtains and hitting Kibum's face.

"Key... you still awake?"
The older asked but only got a stir from the model as an answer.

His hand traveled down to his side pocket and fished something out. He pressed his lips on Kibum's forehead before saying his last few words for the night.

"Please, please be here when I open my eyes tomorrow. It's hard waking up without you."

Jonghyun gently took Kibum's hand, slipping the colorful toy ring, the same ring that the model had abandoned, in his ring finger.

 

 

 

 



 


A/N:

I used an outside point-of-view, I hope you don't mind. Forgive me if some of you are rooting for Onkey, I kind of missed my Jongkey.

If you forgot about the toy ring, please refer to Chapter 4.

It's 12am now, so I'm out.
Thank you for subscribing, reading, and leaving a comment.
You don't know how much I feel motivated when I read your comments. :)
Good night, everyone~