A comfortable, unrequited kind of love.

Waking up without you.

 

[ Onew ]

 

 

Oh. So, I get to finally have a say to this? Awesome (sarcasm intended).

My pores were excreting sweat nonstop as I moved to the last sweet beat of the song I was currently promoting. Everything was going well for my career. It could get better, though, if they announce today's mutizen as me. And they did. Triple crown it is, they said. Congratulatory words naturally flowed out of my lips, my right hand gripping the glass trophy. I bowed to my seniors and did the same to my juniors, thinking of them as my equal because we shared the same passion. As the other artists climbed down the stage, leaving me behind to hog the limelight for the encore, I felt... grateful.

Those orange balloons held by hands of different persons, those fan chants, those toothy smiles - I may have taken them for granted. Or I was just that regretful to notice the people around me who actually cared for me more than I did for you.

And so I threw the bouquet to the MVPs.

I wasn't numb, in fact, it was the exact opposite. You being with Jonghyun was a good thing, but I always had the thought that you could do better with me; that somehow I could be the one to bring out the best in you. Could you blame me? My heart was never built with screws and metals. Sometimes, this million-watt smile that people called could be fake, too. But hey, it was all about bros before hoes (not that you were anywhere near being a hoe, you were perfect and flawless and just, yeah) and I wasn't going to meddle with you and my friend of six years. He was at fault - a huge one at that - but he learned from it. No, I wasn't being noble. He just deserved the chance, just like everybody did.

Mistakes. You, he, and I would still make lots of it because we were mere humans; we were created with blotches here and there.

And so is love. It could be the most perfect thing ever, but only when you let imperfections color it would it bloom into something that's truly eternal.

Jessica had been fooled and broken, but she would get pass it because she was strong. She would get back up and smile - for her fans, for her members, for herself. She would take her time to heal and one day, she would let herself love again. I would, too - just not now.

Within a span of three months, you managed to crawl your way under my skin and into my heart. Impossible, it was. (for now, at least). Not when you greeted me as soon as I stepped down the stage and tackled me aggressively. Funny how you were more like a mushroom than Taemin was - popping out of nowhere in the most unexpected times. Skinny arms clothed with navy blue long sleeves locked around my neck, I found myself smiling at your return. And unconsciously, my arms guided themselves around your waist, fingers cautious so as not to drop the trophy. A string of muffled words left your lips as you buried your face in the crook of my neck, but amidst all the incoherency I knew what you were trying to convey: Congratulations and-

"I missed you, Rabbit!"

Ya, Kim Jonghyun, you have a hidden gem right here. Do you even know?

"Thank you, Kitty," I missed you, too. "When did you get back?"

"The other day! Com'on, we need to get going," was all you said before I ended up getting tugged by the hand, away from my waiting room.

Soft, your hand was. You were smiling and showcasing your dimples to the world and I wondered, was my win this big of a deal to you? If so, then I'd work my off every time I had a comeback. I didn't have a single clue as to where you were taking me, but I wasn't complaining. You were missed too much that anywhere would be fine - even just lazing around my flat. Eww, I sounded nostalgic. Clouded by my thoughts, I didn't really notice you leading me to the back door (where fans had no idea about). Clever, I thought as the all-too-familiar silver Volvo greeted me. I heard you excitedly say 'get in', and I did as I was told. No questions asked, until the doors closed and the engine roared to life.

"Kim Kibum, just where are you taking me?"

I saw it, that smile that could have had me on my knees. You were trying really hard not to laugh, weren't you? Typical Kibum, but I loved you anyway.

"Somewhere," you finally answered, eyes focused on the nearing U-turn. "But first, we have to get rid of that feathery costume."

I took this chance to glance down at my wardrobe and knew right then that I would speak no objections. (Oh, the stage outfits the cordi-noonas made me wear.)

"You're not going to tell me where you're taking me, are you?" I tried, but of course, I wasn't Jonghyun. I wasn't gifted with round, dog eyes.

"Nope," you playfully responded, popping the 'p' at the end.

"Do my manager, your manager, and Jonghyun know about this little escapade of yours?"

I watched as you gnawed on your lip, not the least bit surprised when you gave me a reluctant 'no' and briefly told of Jonghyun's confinement inside the practice room (with only the pattern of blue sky and white clouds to cheer him up). One of these days, you definitely would cause me my death. Why, oh, why did you have to be so imperfectly perfect? You didn't have to answer that; that was a rhetorical question. (And God, I should stop being so... Kibum-ized.)

The drive wasn't long and within fifteen minutes time, the Volvo was resting on an apartment complex's basement parking - only I hadn't got a clue whose it was. Before getting off the vehicle, I informed you of the mutizen trophy in your compartment (because SM would definitely scold me if I so much as let a scratch on it). You shrugged it off as an okay and told me to hurry because apparently, somebody was waiting for our arrival.

Upon entering the lift, you wouldn't stop rocking from your heel to your toe and your dimpled smile wouldn't leave your face. Giddy, I concluded. You were excited for something. As the ping echoed through the metal box and the doors slid open, your hand immediately caught mine and I was being tugged again. Door to door and at last, we have reached our destination (or at least this was where I thought it was).

"Whose...?" I asked in a whisper, but gained nothing but a wide grin and the words 'you'll see'.

Your hand rose, a slender finger coming in contact with the door bell. The huge smile on your face almost looked like it was going to split your cheeks into half and I got curious, just who in the world lived here for you to feel impatient waiting for the door to open? I bet even Jonghyun couldn't make you this ecstatic and excited. But I wouldn't know, of course.

"Ya! Fatzo, what took you so long? It's time for dinner!" A nagging voice boomed through the small speaker, making me jump while you just chuckled beside me.

You were excited to meet up with a... woman?

"I am NOT fat, just so you know. And it's Jinki's fault! His encore was so cheesy! Let us in, Nicole~"

...or not.

I smiled genuinely. Of course you would be this happy to see her. And for a moment there, I thought we were meeting up with only Nicole. Wrong. The faint background told me she wasn't the only one inside. Someone was playing an acoustic guitar while the lyrics of 'Sunday Morning' were sang lazily - but still beautifully - by a deep, male voice.

(And I laughed inwardly as the irony surfaced - singing Sunday Morning on a Thursday evening.)

The strumming of the strings came to an abrupt stop and Nicole's giggles were heard before the door finally opened. Seunghyun was definitely a happy child. He hurled himself onto you and I could have sworn I saw you whimper a little. A series of I miss you's and a couple of Bummie's were uttered before FT Island's guitarist detached his tiny body from yours. Everybody missed you, why wouldn't they?

Nicole showed up not long after, giving you a quick cheek-to-cheek and greeting me to acknowledge my presence (thank you, really). I was invited inside, your hand still tugging me forward until we reached the living room. The inside of the apartment was more than what I had imagined - pastel-colored curtains and pillow cases, long, white couch and a love seat, abstract paintings, black-carpeted floor. And the lingering fragrance - this definitely belonged to a woman.

Incorrect, because as Woohyun sat there on the floor comfortably, I was told that this was his. This was bought for his convenience - away from Infinite's crazy antics and for gathering with his friends (like tonight). I had no idea he was the neat kind of person.

A few bows and greetings passed and my purpose here was still undiscovered. But I let it be, because I was having a great time. As soon as everyone was settled again, Nicole took you away to the kitchen to prepare supper and I was left with the boys - Jaejin, Seunghyun, and Woohyun. We talked for a while, Woohyun feeling regretful because the others couldn't come due to their busy schedules and Seunghyun complaining about his hungry stomach. I thought it would be awkward for me to even have a normal conversation with them since I wasn't close to them (excluding Seunghyun who, by the way, became a permanent intruder ever since you moved next door), but they proved me wrong. It was as if they had known me for years. Somewhere between the talk, Jaejin excused himself to check up on you and Nicole and the most anticipated dinner.

Seunghyun and Woohyun decided to continue their jamming session and tried to include me but I settled for just observing. Their voices actually blended nicely if they sang properly instead of fooling around and ah, I thought I should work harder because my juniors were all so good in this field. Nicole, the lone muse, came out of the kitchen wearing an apron with a big apple embroidered in the middle and was holding her mobile phone to her ear.

She gestured for the two boys to tone down their self-produced music while she stood in front of me, her gaze locking with mine and her head nodding with a soft 'yes' and an 'okay' in agreement to whatever the person on the other line was saying. It didn't take long before she was talking to me in a hushed tone, telling me-

"Oppa, it's Jessica-unnie. She's asking for Key's digits to get to you since apparently, you aren't answering her calls. Good thing you're already here."

And I realized I was literally dragged here that my wallet and cell phone were left with my manager. My face was a big question mark after hearing Jessica's urgent need to speak to me. She was never one to call unless something important came up. I gave Nicole a quick nod and she was about to hand over the device when she threw in one last query.

"Why would she want to contact Key to get to you?"

"He's my, uhm, neighbor," was the only explanation I could give the petite, yellow-haired idol.

She gasped silently at the new knowledge and gave me the feeling that she would bombard you with tons of questions the moment she handed over the cell phone. And she did, good God did she quickly ran off to the direction of the kitchen. I failed to notice, though, the two pairs of eyes watching the whole scenario.

Seunghyun carefully laid his guitar on the space beside him on the sofa while Woohyun stood up from sitting on the carpet and settling on the arm rest by the guitarist, both eyes turning serious as they eyed the device in my hand. Did hearing Jessica's name cause them to transform into your guardians?

I sighed heavily before finally giving Jessica a casual 'hello' over the receiver.

‘Onew-oppa,’ her naturally thin voice greeted in time with a sigh of what I guessed was relief. "It's fortunate that you're with Nicole and Key."

"Why? Did something happen?" My usual calmness wavered into an immediate panic, both Woohyun and Seunghyun leaning forward in concern.

There was a tensed pause from her side which made me more worried that there really was something happening. The possibilities of you being in danger were shallow as you were here now with me, making me question Jessica's sudden call. So I tried to not jump to conclusions and waited until she was ready to speak again.

‘...No, it's nothing, Oppa. Everything's fine,’ Jessica softly said but didn't end my anxiety there. ‘I- I know I'm in no position to ask this from you, seeing that I once tried to hurt Key and thought he deserved to be hurt because he hurt me though it was unintentional and it was Jonghyun's fault and-'

"Jessica," I cut her mid-sentence as she was starting to say nonsensical things. She should know she was only human and was only acting out of brokenness. "Just say it."

The receiver caught her long, heavy breath and I could imagine her with her eyes closed to try and pacify herself. She always did that whenever she had stage fright and now, she was doing it which made me afraid almost. "I... I don't exactly know how to 'say' it, Oppa. I think I trusted the wrong person and I think - I'm not sure but my girl instincts are strongly kicking in - maybe my friend, Sekyung is going to make trouble."

"Sekyung? Shin Sekyung, the model?" I curiously asked because I was blank of any information as to why Jessica was even mentioning a person who was not in any relation to me nor to you. Not that I know of, at least. And it seemed that the said woman's name rang a bell to the two eavesdropping men because their once curious stance tensed, eyes widening and hands clenching.

Jessica denied my doubt that maybe there was another Shin Sekyung other than the model by saying 'yes', it was indeed the same girl I once worked with for a commercial film. My natural reaction was to ask why she should be of our concern but Jessica told me it would be better to talk about it another time and she hoped you would hear nothing of this. I obliged, though I wasn't really sure what the issue was. If it was to keep you safe, then I made the right decision.

‘I hurt Key before, Oppa, and I really feel bad about it even now. I want you and Jonghyun to take precautions for Key. I'm actually in the company right now, waiting for Jonghyun to finish his practice,’ she took in a sharp breath. I could feel that seeing and most particularly talking to Jonghyun was something she still had to get used to. She was brave (and very professional) and I felt proud of her. ‘I'll definitely tell him immediately. Please, Oppa, I don't want to make the same mistake of letting Key be hurt again.’

"...Okay, I'll keep an eye on him," were the only words that I could utter, almost inaudibly. "Thanks, Sica."

‘Lee Jinki, I'm holding your word for it, understood?’ Her tone suddenly became playful and I knew, I knew she was satisfied with my answer. She trusted people easily; maybe that was her only flaw. But I was a trustworthy person, wasn't I?

"Ya, who told you to talk informally?"

And the call ended just like that, with her giggles that seemed so forced yet so sincere at the same time. As expected, Woohyun and Seunghyun clung to me for answers but I couldn't give them any - not now. I was still confused myself; I couldn't possibly give them unreliable details.

Dinner was served shortly after the phone call and I was more than relieved that nobody brought up the topic in front of you - not even Nicole who seemed like she was dying of curiosity a moment ago. Your dishes were never a disappointment, my stomach almost protruding out of my feathery stage costume.

It was a total shock when everybody was finished and you, Nicole, and Jaejin dragged me - literally - inside a room, Nicole shoving a well-ironed, studded, white vest onto my arms and Jaejin slinging a white tank top paired with ripped black skinny jeans atop my shoulder. They left abruptly, slamming the door behind them and leaving me with a smirking blonde model - you. You were scary like this and I was lost of any coherent thought because you started to strip right there and then.

(If you were a bachelor and I wasn't attracted to you, I would probably be at this moment.)

"Don't stare, you ert! I have a short but muscular boyfriend, but if you insist you can be my mistress," you teased and I flushed a shade of pink and you had no idea how much I wanted to be just that if it meant being with you every single day.

Oh, who was I kidding? Jonghyun, you lucky bastard.

"Get dressed, Rabbit! The night is getting old like you!"

As if I was shot by lightning, my hands started to fumble the buttons on my feathery (I would keep saying that because those poor chickens were for my sake) stage outfit and took them off, tossing them on the floor and moving as fast as I could for God knows why. Oh, wait, let me change that: For you know why.

"Am I still not allowed to know why I'm changing into this? And where, oh, where are we g-"

I stopped. And gulped. And died. And rose again. Wait, no, I wasn't Jesus. But I was sure I just died when I turned around and my eyes landed on those milky legs. I quickly looked away because you weren't mine to fantasize. It wasn't right. It just wasn't. But I couldn't, not because I was ually frustrated, no (I was actually a controlled man, I found out through the years). Your knees were bruised and there were a few scratches on your legs.

"I tripped, don't worry about it," I heard you speak, probably noticing my questioning gaze. "I must have caught it from you, you klutz," you joked around and giggled before pulling up your bloody red jeans.

I watched in awe as you ruffled your hair into a mess which made you look... alluring. "We're gonna party tonight, Rabbit! Let's go~"

And God, please save me from humiliating myself on the dance floor tonight. Fairy godmother, I need you to transform me into badass, smooth Onew tonight.

 

 

 

 

[ Jonghyun ]

 

 

I looked at the clock, it was exactly twelve midnight and I was just glad my practice hours were finally over. Jessica dropped by during my break time and I wasn't really sure I could handle a conversation with her right now, but I did. Because your name popped out of nowhere.

And Sekyung's.

A name I have long forgotten.

The rest of the practice I spent thinking of you and your whereabouts and how much of a relief it would be if you only moved back in with me. That way, my mind would be at peace because you would just be cooking in the kitchen and waiting for me to arrive and giving me a welcoming kiss as soon as I step inside our home and just... being safe. With me.

Hearing Sekyung's name was like being poisoned, butchered. She was a mistake (and so was Jessica, and I swore I would make none in the present to the future years). But unlike Jessica, I felt that Sekyung was ambitious and conceited. I found that out the night she lured me in, good thing none happened or I would have killed myself in disgust.

I zipped my duffel bag and slung it over my shoulder, sighing loudly to let out my tiredness. Surely, a two-week leave had its cons. SM wasn't an easy company, I was reminded of that today and I would probably be reminded of that tomorrow, too. And the day after tomorrow, and the day after that, and probably the whole month to come. But it was all worth it because I got to be with you again. I shivered, even in my thoughts I was a hopeless romantic.

It wasn't until I entered the van did I dare to ask my manager for my phone (which he confiscated for the whole day, and probably tomorrow, too). I missed you badly I could die any second now. Hyperbole noted, but wasn't impossible.

I smiled widely and bit my lip when I saw there was one missed call: Yeobo =^_^=

So, you missed me, too?

My manager gave me a look over his shoulder before driving off as I was bouncing on my seat in excitement. Ah, after a whole day of exhaustion I would be able to hear your voice again. Maybe I shouldn't go home yet; maybe I should just sleep over at your place (and not let you sleep at Onew's). I cared for my closest friend, but he was a tough competition. He was the gentle, always-smiling, and submissive type. If I was a girl I would date him instead of me.

The pad of my thumb long pressed the '1' digit, directing me to your number. One, two, three, four, five, six rings and my brows knitted in worry. You never slept early, that I was sure of. And somehow, knowing that fact, it gave me a very familiar feeling - when you lied to me about going to Jeju; when you left me with an empty apartment.

I hurriedly redialed, relief washing over me when the other line picked up.

‘Jonghyun!’

But it wasn't your husky, angelic voice. I barely heard my name over the line as the background was loud - of music and of people. A club, I hypothesized.

"Onew? Where's Key? Why is it so damn noisy? Where the hell are you?" My questions piled up, desperate for answers. I noticed my manager glancing at me through the rear view mirror, a look of concern on his face.

‘I'll explain later, just... you have to come here as soon as you can. No, scratch that, you have to rush here NOW! I called you earlier using Key's phone but you didn't answer,’ he all but yelled through the phone and Onew didn't yell. Not before, not ever.

"I was locked up in the practice room! Will you just tell me where Key is? . You're making me worry, Onew," I half-shouted, frustrated as I ran my fingers through my brown locks.

‘Key's missing. I swear to God he was just with me a moment ago! I kept my eyes on him while he danced but when I ordered a drink he was gone! I looked everywhere but he wasn't here in the club, he couldn't possibly go home because his car's still here. Just drive here as fast as you can, Jonghyun! I have a bad feeling about this,’ he mouthed in one go, voice quivering and sounding like he was on the verge of tears.

So was I. My hands turned cold and they were shaking, my body feeling numb as I forced my mouth to speak.

“Where- where are you?" I voiced weakly, eyes unfocused.

‘The club we used to go to a year ago. Jonghyun, hurry.’

And my manager understood very well that I needed to be some place else than home because he directly asked for the club's location.

Please, I prayed, please let this all be a cruel joke.

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

A/N:
I was going to put something else here but then my Inotia 3 saved data got deleted (my fault), so now I'm desperately playing it again from level 1. Ugh! TTYL, guys, I need to finish Inotia 3 by tomorrow so I can play Inotia 4. XD

 

...

 

I remember it now (after watching DBSK's Mirotic)! I was supposed to inform you that this fic is close to being marked as complete. When I say close, it doesn't mean it's the next chapter. :)) Byebyebye. Off to play~