Kim Stupid Jonghyun.

Waking up without you.

The heavy scent of medicine reached him as he inhaled and he knew then that his manager was not telling him false news. His mind could still not process the sudden turn of events - one second he thought he was finally doing well with the model, then the next moment he took his eyes off of him, something bad happened. He knew Kibum - as stubborn as he may seem - would listen to him about being safe. The younger would not anger him by being careless. Something must have triggered the accident, and he swore he would pull the truth out of the younger's tongue at all costs.

His eyes darted from a room number to another as he fastened his pace to get to Kibum's room. He hated the white walls of the hospital already - they kept on mocking him how he failed to protect the younger, how he wasn't by his side when he needed him the most. The memory of Kibum leaving him also flashed before him, reminding him how he wasn't there when the younger was hurting because he valued his career and reputation more than anything.

Almost nearing a dead-end with only two rooms left ahead, his manager instinctively blocked him as flashes of cameras welcomed them even before they reached the last room - which was Kibum's. It pissed him off that the security guards of the hospital weren't doing anything to kick the annoying reporters out. Not only were they causing a scene but also depriving his little feline of his rest and privacy. Of all the existing downfalls of being a celebrity, he hated this the most.

His manager extended both arms around him, trying to protect him with all his might (after all, that was what managers did - guard their idols with all their might). They forced themselves through a maximum of eight reporters, fitting on a narrow hallway and finally reaching the gray door with much difficulty. His manager tapped his knuckles against the locked door, waiting for whoever was inside to peek through the peep hole and let them in. After a minute of hell with the persistent interviewers, the door opened and somebody immediately pulled both him and his manager in before closing the door quickly to prevent unwanted people to enter.

The whole time, he had his eyes glued to the ground and when he raised his head to look around the room, the first thing he saw was his beloved - asleep in the hospital bed wearing a hospital gown, an IV connected to his left hand. His lower lip was slightly chapped and his face was paler than usual. He wasn't aware of the people around him and the glares he was receiving from three pairs of eyes. Taking a step closer, his movements were halted in an instant as someone undoubtedly taller blocked his way. He snapped out of his daze and looked at the person's face, ready to yell at him for not letting him through. When he met eyes with the said person, though, his body tensed.

"Minho," He lowly mentioned the young athlete's name, leaving a bitter taste of guilt on his tongue.

He hasn't done anything - he has even yet to know how Kibum ended up in such a state - and yet he already felt like it was his fault.

The athlete didn't respond, didn't even move an inch. Minho just stood there, glaring him down with fists clenched at the sides. He tore his gaze from the taller, unable to take the intensity of the other's glare, and took in the faces of the people who were in the same room as him. Just then did he realize the number of people staring at him with wary eyes. Sitting on the long couch was Key's manager talking with his own manager. Beside them sat Jessica while another presence was leaning on the wall by the couch, Seunghyun. He turned to his right and found Taemin with Ren cleaning up a pile of peeled fruit skins on the small round table near Kibum's bed.

"Jonghyun-hyung," A voice he has not heard for a while bounced across the ventilated room and he turned back to see who it was.

His brown orbs widened when met by sharp ones. He did not notice such strong presence since he had his head bowed when he had entered the room.

"What happened, Woohyun?"

The dark-haired singer looked past him, eyeing Kibum who was still sleeping. He parted his lips to talk but Minho beat him to it.

"Key almost died."

He turned back once again, now facing the wrath of Minho.

"What happened?" He repeated, clearly annoyed by the tone used by someone younger than him.

"It's not our story to tell. Ask the one responsible for it," The athlete diverted his glare from him and onto the only female in the room.

He followed Minho's line of sight and clenched his jaw at the unwanted sight that was Jessica. His intuition told him that Kibum would stay safe as long as he told him to and the model being confined in the medicine-scented building was the work of an outsider. Just like what Kibum's manager had stated, the younger was too well-behaved. He liked to see the good in people and at one point, he gave Jessica that benefit of a doubt that it was not in her nature to hurt even a fly.

He eyed his life's worst mistake as she silently whimpered on her seat when Minho spoke of her schemes. She wasn't the Jessica he used to know and like, and it scared him. He knew it was partially his fault that she changed and because of that, he was regretful.

He walked closer to her while she got up to her feet, head hung low in both guilt and shame. His steps came to a stop when he was only three feet away from her, a look of disgust evident on his face.

"What did you do to him?" He hissed, the poison in his low and husky voice made everyone in the room nervous.

"I... didn't mean to..." Her voice was laced with fear while she tried to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall.

"What did you to do Kibum?" He repeated, the anger building up in his chest.

"I w-was jealous... I'm sorry. I threw h-his toy ring in the pool, b-but I swear I didn't know he c-couldn't swim! I only intended to embarrass him in f-front of the repo-"

"Embarrass him? That alone made me want to kill you! You didn't know that he can't swim? Well... now you ing know!"

He exploded. His dominant hand tightening around Jessica's chin, almost crushing her skull if it wasn't for Taemin who pried him away from her.

"Don't let your anger take over, Appa," He heard the redhead speak which made him snap back to sanity.

He was already seeing red in the form of Jessica and he couldn't be more thankful to Taemin for holding him back before he literally did something to the female. He couldn't help but notice how Taemin's hands were shaking against his skin and that was when he concluded that the younger, too, was in the verge of rage. Kibum was important to him just as much as he was to Taemin.

Taking deep and long breaths, he pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes to be able to think clearly again. Kibum wouldn't allow him to do things on impulse. When he was sure his brain was working properly enough to have a conversation, he turned to the athlete, ignoring Jessica for the time being.

"Why are there reporters outside and why isn't the hospital doing anything about it?"

Minho sighed, finally softening his glare on him.

"They were recording some clips and doing small interviews on Onew-hyung's BTS when this... thing created a scene."

He took his time in digesting what the athlete stated and when it finally dawned on him, it was too late. The rage has already formed in his chest and the taste of soiled metal lingered in his mouth. He wasn't aware of his teeth sinking deeply in his lip until the voice of the person he always wanted to protect reached his hearing.

"Noona, please tell them it was an accident - that I slipped and fell," Kibum's voice was hoarse from sleep.

He took long strides to his beloved's side, walking past the tall tower that was Minho. He could feel all eyes on his every move, giving him the feeling that one wrong move could cost him his life. The blonde male was forcing himself to sit up by pushing on his elbows. In an instant, he had his arms around Kibum's shoulders for support and gently putting a pillow on the younger's back to lean on. They locked eyes and Kibum smiled with the words 'thank you' following softly.

It was hard for him to see the model like this but for the meantime, he'd let Kibum have his way.

"What the hell are you saying, Key?" Minho's deep voice cut through their moment. "The reporters need to know that witch's true ugly self!"

Both his and Kibum's managers stood up from the couch, alarmed at the athlete's sudden outburst. Minho pointed an accusing finger at the brown-haired female to emphasize his utmost disapproval to bail Jessica out of the mess that she created herself.

"It's okay, Key-ssi. I deserve this after what I did to you..." She smiled weakly and guiltily at the model, eyes almost b with tears.

"No. Just do what I say, Noona. At least you owe me and Jinki that much."

Jonghyun stared at his ex in disbelief. Was Kibum being serious?

Jessica nodded, unable to go farther against the model.

"In exchange, please leave Jonghyun and I alone."

Jonghyun almost gasped at the model's bold statement. He almost jumped in the bed and showered Kibum with kisses for mustering such courage for the first time in years. And the fact that the younger put their names together in a sentence melted his heart more than anything in the world (except for the day that Kibum would be his again).

"O-of course," She answered, truth laced in her voice. She was letting the singer go, all strings cut off.

"Thank you, Noona. I only mean well for all of us - you, me, Jonghyun, Jinki, and the SNSD members. Let's not hurt the ones around us anymore, hm?"

Jonghyun could have sworn that Kibum was a fallen angel and that the younger's heart was made of pure gold. Even at times like this, his little blonde model managed to think of others' welfare. He was the one at fault, and yet Kibum still carried it upon himself to straighten things out. Never will he let the pretty feline go, he etched it in his heart.

"But-"

"This conversation is over, Choi Minho," The IV-tied male sternly mouthed to silence the stubborn star athlete. The taller wouldn't have let it go that easily but just like Jonghyun, he didn't want to stress Kibum any more than he already was.

After the light-haired model asked his manager to usher Jessica out of his room, Jonghyun planted a kiss atop Kibum's head and held his slender hand to keep them warm. He mentally did a victory dance when he caught sight of the younger's cheeks tinted a shade of light pink.

"Jonghyun-hyun, can I have a quick word with you?"

He looked up to Woohyun who had both hands inside his denim pockets. He nodded, standing up from Kibum's bed but not before brushing his lips against the back of the younger's hand. For a second there, he noticed Woohyun and Seunghyun talking with their eyes.

"I'll come, too," The band guitarist announced.

As Woohyun led them out and into the balcony, Taemin and Ren occupied both sides of Kibum's hospital bed, most likely fawning over their 'umma'.

The cold wind of the night touched his skin, making him shiver a little and only then did he realize that he wasn't wearing his jacket. The sliding glass door closed behind them and Seunghyun almost immediately leaned forward on the railings, his eyes reflecting the night lights from tall buildings. The two older males followed suit, taking the guitarist's sides.

"You're a little too quiet today, brat," He started, trying to lessen the tension that was slowly building up among them.

Seunghyun scoffed at his failed attempt to start a proper conversation but gave a response anyway. "I'm still at shock, mongrel. If Woohyun-hyung had been a minute too late, Kibummie could have died and I would have killed myself."

"Woohyun?" He raised a questioning brow at the other's presence for the first time that night.

"Minho called, asking me to check on Key because he didn't trust that stubborn cat when it comes to swimming pools," Woohyun paused, letting out a sigh to relieve all the fear that he had felt as the memory came back to him. "I was around the area, so I didn't find any problem with it. I also missed Key that I rushed to see him when I heard about it. And I'm glad I did, because when I finally located the filming site, Key was in the middle of drowning."

Jonghyun gripped on the railings tightly, a way to release some of the anger in him. If it wasn't for his vocal training, he could have been the one to save Kibum and not Woohyun. He could have prevented the accident from occurring. But he couldn't... because he was an idol with a lot responsibilities.

"Thank you. I... I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if it wasn't for you, guys," He hung his head as the words escaped him, a single tear rolling down his cheek.

The thought of losing Kibum was too much for him. It took him an empty closet to realize what he had lost. He loved Kibum, and he was done making mistakes.

"Didn't Minho tell you? The 91-line will always be watching out for our little princess," Woohyun chuckled at his perfect description of the blonde model. "Nicole acts manlier than Key, to be honest. If it was her, she'd slap the hell out of that hypocrite of innocence. She's my sunbae, but I couldn't care less."

"True!" Seunghyun chimed in, the atmosphere gradually lightening.

Jonghyun still had his head bowed until Seunghyun punched his arm lightly, making him face the guitarist. He examined Seunghyun's expression which was the most pleasant he has ever seen. Without meeting Jonghyun's eyes, the band member showcased a smile.

"He loves you, mutt. It hurts him to be away from you. As much as we want him to be with someone other than you, we know it'll only hurt him more. So..."

"Make him yours again, Jonghyun-hyung!" Woohyun exclaimed and flashed him a toothy grin.

"He even gave you his first kiss when I was supposed to have it since I was his boyfriend before you! God, if only I knew you'd end up hurting him I woul-mmphff!" Seunghyun's rants were muffled as Woohyun covered his mouth, preventing him to say anymore.

"You should also thank Onew-hyung. You don't know how much he sacrificed for you and Key," Woohyun thoughtfully told Jonghyun while struggling in keeping the guitarist quiet.

"Where is-" He was about to as where the older was in thoughts of thanking him like Woohyun had instructed even if the reason why was still unknown to him.

"You stupid dog! He's being a professional right now and resuming where the filming had left off. He only went back there, though, when he was sure Kibummie's all safe," The grumpy guitarist (who was finally released from being silenced) explained with a hint of annoyance because Jonghyun seemed to have known nothing about anything.

He chuckled at the guitarist's cuteness (though he refused to admit it) and ruffled the younger's hair which earned him a deathly glare. It felt like a heavy weight was lifted from his shoulders after hearing the somewhat approval of Kibum's guardians in the forms of his friends.

"But I'm warning you, Kim Jonghyun. This is your last chance. Don't screw this up," Woohyun gave him his final words, the seriousness in his voice didn't go unnoticed by the SM artist.

He nodded, a playful grin gracing his lips as he attacked the two boys with his ultimate weapon - skinship. He pulled them into a tight hug, Seunghyun squirming and screaming for freedom from the 'disgusting smell of a stray and ugly dog'.

 

 

 

The hospital's visiting hours came to an end and only two people were allowed to stay with the patient which Jonghyun was very much thankful for - himself being one of the two.

"I'll come again tomorrow, Key-umma, and bring lots of fruits. Please rest well, okay?" Taemin kissed Kibum's cheek and embraced him one last time before heading to the door being held by Minho (who was still strongly opposed to Jonghyun being near Kibum).

"Me, too, Key-umma! Will Onew-appa visit you tomorrow?" Ren inquired to the model, making Jonghyun frown in disagreement.

He watched the scene before him - Kibum petting Ren's head and smiling like the small blonde trainee was his own son. Oh, how he would love to be with Kibum for the rest of his life and the thought of adopting kids didn't seem bad either.

"Come on, Minki-ah! My umma needs to rest!" Taemin had to walk back in and pry the youngest from the model, scolding Ren as they went for calling Kibum his umma. Jonghyun found it amusing that Taemin now has somebody to look after and nag at - just like his Key-umma.

"We'll see you soon, Kibummie. Don't ever hesitate to give me a call when that erted mongrel lays a finger on you, okay?"

"Don't listen to him, Key-ah. Do whatever makes you happy. I'll call you whenever I can, my other half. Rest well."

Jonghyun stood awkwardly at a corner as Seunghyun and Woohyun kissed Kibum's temples. He found it fascinating how his beloved was being treated like royalty and he cursed himself for being the only one who caused Kibum to cry. His feline beauty was a precious gem even to those around him. His manager informed him of the next morning's schedule and for the first time since his career bloomed, he told him to cancel them all. He wanted to be the one Kibum woke up to. He wanted the model to call his name when he needed something, He asked his manager to pick up some change of clothes for him before dismissing him and telling him that he wouldn't be leaving the hospital grounds until Kibum gets well.

Kibum needed someone to depend on, and this time, Jonghyun made sure it would be him.

 

 

 

The room was silent as their even intake of air was the only sound that can be heard. He had the model leaning on his shoulder while he played with Kibum's soft blonde locks. The younger's manager was making calls and running errands, leaving the two of them alone in the humidified room.

"You're stupid, Kim Kibum."

"And so are you, Kim Jonghyun."

Both of them sighed.

"It's just a toy ring. Why would you risk your life for it? I can just buy us another pair, real ones that are made of silver," He scolded Kibum when he thought of the patient almost drowning to death because of a plastic bag.

"So it's just a ring that doesn't mean anything to you?" Kibum asked, his brows knitting together in hurt.

"That's not it. You don't understand, do you?" He questioned and felt the model shake his head on his shoulder. "Your life is more important than that ring, Bummie. You think of how other people would feel, but have you given any thought of what I would feel if you drowned? I'd die, Kibum, I'd literally die."

The stillness of the nigh enveloped them as the model let Jonghyun's words sink in. The younger had not thought about it and now that the singer directly laid it out in front of him, his heart burned.

"I'm sorry. I just..."

"I know, Bummie. If it was me, I would have done the same thing. The only difference is that I can swim, and you obviously can't," Jonghyun playfully pinched the model's nose making the latter scrunch his nose up.

Jonghyun glanced on the hospital's digital clock that was placed atop the small brown drawer and decided that it was time for Kibum to sleep.

"Time for you to rest, Bum," He moved to place the younger's head on the soft pillow underneath. He tucked Kibum warmly and brushed the stray bangs off his face before placing a kiss on his forehead. "Good night."

He gave Kibum one last sweet smile and turned the main light off, leaving the room with an orange-lit dim light. The long couch was soon occupied by his exhausted body, his head resting on the arm rest. Sleep has yet to visit him as the day's events floated aimlessly in his head. But one thought stood out among the rest - him almost losing Kim Kibum.

"Jonghyunnie..." He heard Kibum's angelic voice call out to him and he turned his head to the side to face the model.

Kibum laid there adorably, body turned to him but careful not to harm the IV connected to his nerve.

"What is it, Bummie?"

He watched as his beloved bit his lip cutely, pondering how to say what was in his mind. Jonghyun smiled, urging the younger to just say it out lad.

"The doctor told me I'll be discharged tomorrow night."

He turned his full body towards Kibum, a huge smile on his face. If the model was allowed to leave the medicine-scented building, then that meant Kibum was fine.

"Really? Then we'll have a celebratory meal with everyone once we get you out of here!" Jonghyun excitedly announced, sitting up under crossed legs and bouncing slightly on the couch to express just how enthusiastic he was.

"We... can't. My parents are coming to get me."

"What?" Jonghyun almost whispered, his excitement escaped through the window. If the model's parents were to take Kibum with them, then he won't be able to see him for God-only-knew how long. "Why? Didn't you say you're fine no? How long are you staying there? Can I come with you?"

Kibum blinked with wide eyes, surprised at the sudden attack of the older's inquiries.

"Because my parents have the right to know what's been going on with their son and most importantly, I need a break from everything. No, you can't come with me. You have tons of pending work, Jjong. I need to clear my head so I asked my manager to inform our agency about my two-week leave."

The brunette kept his eyes on the floor, weighing his options. Should he let the younger leave his sight again or should he abandon his career to be with him? Could he do it, though? Would Kibum be safe if he let him go with his parents to Daegu?

If he allowed the younger to go, he wouldn't be able to sleep properly.
He would be worried to death because Kibum was born a magnet of disaster.
He would be worried because he cared for the model too much,
because he loved Kibum too much to lose him the third time around.

He almost lost him today, and if Kibum thought he'd ever let that happen again, then damn was he wrong. A huge grin painted his face as he raised two fingers to form a 'v' sign.

"I'm coming with you! It has been ages since I visited!"

It was true. Ever since their careers boomed, they haven't got the time to show their faces to their parents. He missed the times when all they had to worry about was the grocery needed to make dinner. He came to think of it and it seemed like it also has been a while since both of them laughed over the tiniest of things like a butterfly kissing Kibum's button-like nose. The underlying reason, though, was unspoken to the younger - he couldn't let anything happen to his beloved again, not even a scratch.

"But... I won't be able to think if you come with me..." Kibum pouted and the singer just wanted to kiss that tempting lips.

"What else is there to think about?" The more muscular boy pushed himself up from the couch and stood up, walking over by the younger's bed and crouching down to meet Kibum's frowning face.

"You... Me... Us... Just everything in general," The feline beauty sighed, not meeting the singer's loving gaze.

Jonghyun finally understood what was in Kibum's jumbled thoughts. He stood up and delicately put an arm on the model's back, pulling him up sit while watching out for the dextrose attached to him. He slid into the bed and under the blanket, placing Kibum between his legs and pressing the younger's back to his chest. Finally, he s his arms around Kibum's waist, loving the feel of his warm skin under the thin hospital gown.

"Let me guess, you're thinking of Jessica?" Jonghyun cautiously asked and he felt the model nod hesitantly. "She's nice... but she's no you. When you... left, I ing realized how huge of a mistake she was. It took me an empty kitchen to wake up, to know that you're no longer with me. And that video message, screw that damn thing! I almost punched the TV screen when I watched you break up with me without any consent! I was an idiot - and a huge one at that - to let go of someone as beautiful and perfect as you. Cheesy? Well, it up, Kim Kibum, because it's the truth and I'm warning you, there's more to come. You're all I'll ever want. Your pretty smile, your adorable dimples, your porcelain skin, your sweet scent, your cute no-"

"Jonghyun, stop. I get it. Enough of your sappy lines," The model cut him off, shifting his weight to his knees and turning to face the singer.

The singer's breath got caught in his throat as the dimly lit room shone on Kibum's face, a shade of pink painting his cheeks. The model's eyes glistened as tears were forming and his bow-shaped lips were slightly agape.

"Kibum," The brunette raised his hands and cupped the younger's face, his thumb brushing away the falling tears.

"I'm tired, Jjong. I'm tired of hurting and putting up a pretense. I know I shouldn't forgive you easily for what you've done, but it gets hard by the day. I just want to smile again."

They stared at each other for what seemed like years, searching each other's souls. Jonghyun took Kibum's words in consideration. He, too, was holding on to his last straw. His mistake wasn't something that could be forgiven overnight, but not being with the feline beauty was pure torture. Not being able to call him his was the worst.

He thought it through, the only thing in his mind was Kibum's happiness. It wouldn't hurt to try. For the both of them, he was willing to risk being rejected. He mentally crossed his fingers and prayed to the almighty Father above that their fate would be to end up together for the rest of their lives.

"Bummie," He gulped in nervousness as the model's gaze pierced right through him. "Let's... start over."

He waited for any kind of reaction from Kibum. Anything. When he got nothing, he panicked and quickly dropped his hands that were cupping the younger's face to his lap.

"I mean, w-we... we don't have to rush anything, just... start fro- ugh! What I'm trying to say is at l-least we can give it... a try and-" He stammered, looking at anything interesting but Kibum. He was more scared of hearing the younger's response than doing his SM auditions.

When a slender finger was pressed to his lips, it silenced him as the mere thought of the model touching his lips almost gave him a heart attack. Kibum was touching his lips, and not the other way around and God did it send goose bumps all over his body.

"I'd love to."

He froze. His brain stopped functioning. His eyes widened. Everything around him seemed to blur.

"Wha-"

"I said, I'd love to. I'd love to start over with you, Kim Stupid Jonghyun."

 

That night, Kim Jonghyun gave his spot on the cold and uncomfortable couch to his manager while he settled for something way warmer and softer.

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N:

 

Thanking those who left me encouraging comments (you know I love you to pieces, right?). 

So, I'm expecting some of you will unsubscribe after reading this chapter because of JongKey trying to work out their relationship. Go and unsubscribe before I tickle you to death! Trololol. I mean, come on, people! It has been 18 angsty chapters already! D: Let's take a rest from all the drama, shall we?

Anyway, I'll go back to busying myself with school stuff and while you lucky just stay here on AFF and be pretty. Alright?

Good night morning! I'm gon' sleep now (why do I always update during very odd times?).

 

 

 

 

 


OnKey, I can't wait to write future chapters because of them. Who else wants more Onkey! I DO!
Edit: OMG I just realized this GIF is JongKey just as much as it is OnKey and Lunew. /fail