Chapter Ten

Snowdrop

Yewon was in the kitchen and helping her Aunt Sowon cook their dinner when they received a phone call from the police in Taeangun. The police have asked Sowon to go to Taeangun and identify the body of a dead man they found washed up on the beach. As soon as Yewon heard the news, she had been swept with distress and worry. She wanted to go to Taeangun with her Aunt after dinner but since she has school the next day, Sowon insisted that she stay at home. It would be a late night drive to Taeangun and back. 

"Gomo, please promise me that you would call as soon as you get there," Yewon beg her Aunt.

"I will, sweetheart. Don't worry. It's not gonna be your dad," Sowon reassures her niece as she hugs her tight. She then hastily grab her coat and went inside the car. Sowon wipes the tears in her eyes as she pray to God that it wasn't her brother they found in Taeangun. She took a deep breathe and drove away leaving her niece standing in the driveway.

Yewon sat on the stairs in front of the house anxiously staring at a car passing by. It was late in the night already with only street lamps illuminating their neighborhood. Most of the lights in the neighbouring houses are turned off and the silence of the street envelop Yewon, as if the emptiness of the night reflect her feelings. A sense of worry and fear filled her, as the thought of losing her dad cross her mind. 

"God, please don't let it be my dad," she softly whispered. " I don't know what I'm gonna do if it's really Appa." She adds.

Yewon pulled her sweater tighter as the cold night breeze blew. She drew her attention back to the quiet street when a motorcycle pulled over unto the house across her Aunt's. She stared at the hooded figure across the street before realizing it's Yoongi. 

"Opp-" Yewon was about to call him when she remembered that Yoongi has been ignoring her all day. A familiar sting creep down her heart as she silently watch him enter his house without looking back. She saw the second floor window in Yoongi's house light up and a shadow appeared. Yewon stared at it hoping to see Yoongi but sadly the light went out.

Yewon let out a heavy sigh and stared at the dark blue sky. While watching the stars, she remembered a time when she was in middle school and learning about astronomy, how her dad loves to take her to a planetarium and make up stories. A smile spread across her lips as she recalled the story of the two kites living in the sky. The mother kite was called the Big Dipper while the daughter kite, the Little Dipper and how the mother kite would tie an invisible rope to the tail of the little kite so it won't drift away. She thought the story was so silly at the time but it helped her remember the names and what the constellation looks like. 

Yewon choke up tears as she recalls the time her Appa taught her to ride a bike while her Eomma would fret on the sidelines every time she falls. Yewon can't help but sob as she feels a sudden rush of emotions. She didn't realized that she was crying heavily until a familiar voice spoke up. 

" So, what did your boyfriend do?" 

Yewon looked up to see Yoongi standing in front of her.

"Oppa," she muttered.

Yoongi sat next to her on the stairs. "What happened?" he asked softly, looking at the empty street.

Yewon glance at Yoongi who's still staring at the road. She look away and watch the sky instead. She's trying to decide whether to tell Yoongi what happened, after all she just realized they aren't really that close. She took a deep breathe and said, "Actually, the police called earlier and asked my Aunt to go to Taeangun and see if the dead man they found is my dad."

"What? Are you okay?"

"Honestly? I'm scared but I'm just hoping and praying that it's not Appa," she responded with a weak smile. "I know Eomma and Appa are both still alive somewhere. It's just.... They're just not found yet," she finished with her voice breaking. 

"Yewon-ah," said Yoongi standing up. "Do you want to go to a place where your prayers come true?"

"huh. But Oppa, I think all the temples are already close at this time,"replied Yewon bewildered.

"we are not gonna go to a temple, " Yoongi responded with a smile.