6 Years Later

Twin Souls

“That was a good play Taeng. What’s going through your mind when you did that half court shot?”

 

Camera flashes can sometimes be irritating. Taeng never get used to it. 2 years into professional basketball player, he’s still not ready for the fame that came with it. It was rare for an Asian guy given a chance to play at this kind of level. He appreciates the opportunity; not the fame. He force a smile.

 

“It was something that any player would have done. I’m just playing by the play book and do my best. It was a great game.” More flashes coming his way. Sometimes he wonders if his eyes are going to have a problem soon enough.

 

“Another win in the bag. It is a controversial call made by Cavs coach. Do you reckon it was dangerous giving the shot to you?” A reporter asked. Taeng knew him, he’s always trying his best to put all the bad words in his mouth. He’s famous for that.

 

“Everyone want to avoid playing the extra minutes. Every game is a risk and he’d call for it. It’s my job to stick to his game play.”

 

More hands shoot up requesting for their questions to be heard. The team public officer pointed towards a guy from The Sun news that sat on the far corner. Taeng head turns towards him anticipating his question.

 

“Every year in this time, you will be updating your Twitter in respect for your late brother. I saw your tweet this morning. Is he still the force behind your success?”

 

Late brother. Today is Yuri’s death 6th year anniversary. 6 ing years without his baby brother. The reality . He remember he almost quit basketball after Yuri’s death but his parents were right; Yuri would want him to continue playing.

 

“He is.” It is true. Yuri is still the reason why he made it here in NBA.

 

“Shouldn’t you be moving on Kim Taeng?” The same reporter asked. Moved on? Taeng smile but with so much sadness in it.

 

“How can I move on? Basketball is our game. It will always be our game. When I’m in court, it feels like he’s next to me cheering me on. I don’t want to move on.”

 

More reporters’ hands go up asking to be pick for the next question. Taeng feels his eyes pooling with tears. It will be embarrassing if he cry now but the topic about Yuri has never ended without him crying. While everyone around him had probably moved on, he didn’t. He just can’t. Maybe he didn’t quit basketball because only basketball can remind him the game that they both loved so much.

 

Kwon Yuri…

 

I’m sorry.

 

…..

 

A broken soul he is. Taeng sigh as he enters his apartment that most of the time empty. His parents are in Seoul; they miss home so they had took a flight a few days ago and spent some time with families and friends there. Taeng couldn’t since the season just started. He put away his duffle bag as he let his body falls on the couch. He shut his eyes for a moment. Another sigh escape his mouth. His eyelid fluttering open and for the next 5 minutes, he’s staring at the ceiling.

 

“Yul, it’s been 6 years. I’m sorry I can’t visit your grave. But mom sent me a picture of what’s remain there. They going to transfer all the graves to another land so I’m expecting to see you in your new home soon.” Taeng smile to himself as he keep on talking. He did most of the time. Talking to his little brother who he believed are around him. It’s crazy and madness but it helps him lessen the guilt in his heart; it was his fault of what had happened that night. He blames himself for Kwon Yuri’s death. They said it was not his fault but he still silently blaming himself. Taeng felt his cheek wet. He chuckle as he wipes the tears that unconsciously came rolling down.

 

“See this Yul? I’m not that strong anymore. I’m not the old me. Hey, remember when you always nagging at me for all the overnight parties? I’ve stopped years ago bro. Been doing nothing but training. You must’ve been happy that I can’t annoy you huh?”

 

Silence creeping in as Taeng remain silent. He let out another heavy sighing as he switch on his television. It’s bad talking to yourself. It’s depressing and Taeng learnt it the hard way. After Yuri’s death, he isolated himself. He shuts everyone off not caring if any heart got hurt by his action. All he cares was blaming himself. It was bad. He didn’t go for training and skipped school. All he did was destroying himself. It was until a certain time when his parents started taking an action as he fall into depress. It took a lot of therapies and one on one heart session with his mom that he finally understand that Yuri is gone and nothing he can do will make him alive again. But one person efforts that certainly did wonders to him was Jessica. Maybe because they shared the same feeling of loss that talking to Jessica make more sense than his therapist. She understood what he felt at the time. She felt it too. The feeling of losing Yuri is something he can’t describe to anyone but Jessica. She almost fall into depression too but together, they help each other out. He understand her and vice versa. So for months, they spent the day talking and reminiscing every memories of Yuri. So instead of letting go, they decided to keep the good memories with Yuri and discard all the bad ones. It helps building back that confidence and crawl back from the bottom pit of depression. He’s thankful for having Jessica around.

 

“Taeng?” Taeng eyes darted towards Jessica who came in without him noticing. She sat next to him as he wraps his arms around her shoulder pulling her close towards him.

 

“What are you watching?”

 

“No idea.”

 

There’s some commercials on the screen and to be honest, Taeng didn’t really watching anything. Jessica just humming as Taeng focus on the TV.

 

“Mom called. The grave moving plan will be executed 3 months from now.”

 

“They’ll be removing Yul’s too? I thought no decision has been made?”

 

Jessica shrug her shoulders as she focus on a drama playing on the screen. Taeng’s thumb gently caressing her shoulder as Jessica settling deeper into his warmth.

 

“How is work? David pissing you off again?”

 

Jessica scrunching her nose annoyed when Taeng’s mention that name. David is one of the ER residents and he’s been nothing but a prick to her. Lucky him, she hadn’t yet rope a plan to burn his car for revenge.

 

“A prick. Nothing new.”

 

Taeng grins as Jessica sigh.

 

“I told you to quit. I can earn for both of us.” Another deep sigh coming from Jessica as she climb onto him and sat on his laps totally blocking his view. Well the drama is not something he’ll regret missing.

 

“Just because I’m going to be your wife soon, it means I have to stop chasing after my dream. You know how important this is to me right?”

 

Taeng smile as he resting his hands on the side of her waist. The hardworking Jessica Jung is always y.

 

“I know. But David the prick is making my fiancée a little angry at times and angry you is scary baby.”

 

“Deal with it.”

 

“I am. Soon Sica. Soon you’ll be mine.”

 

Jessica smile teasingly as she tap his nose and leans forward. She wraps her arms around his neck bringing their faces closer. Her breath tickling his face as they look into each other eyes.

 

“Soon means not now Taeng.”

 

Let Jessica do the comeback. Always with her teasing ways. Taeng grins as he gently let his mouth touching hers. The plump lips that he always crave for. Taeng deepen the kiss as he taking her bottom lips into his mouth it gently. Jessica small moans enticing his desire even more. His right hand slipping under her surgeon uniform. Jessica mumbles but Taeng let his hand wandering further up. Jessica finally pulling away as she catch Taeng’s naughty hand.

 

“That is your limit Kwon Taeng.” Jessica cheekily said as she climbing off Taeng’s and sit back to her original position. Taeng turns around facing the girl.

 

“You’re not going to make it easy for me huh?”

 

“We both agree didn’t we?” Jessica reminding him of his own promise; no until married. It was stupid but it is him who made that up. Jessica just blindly agree. Taeng smile and peck her lips and pulling her back towards his warm body. Jessica smile as she place her head and right hand on his chest.

 

“I was just teasing you. Who knows, you might succumb to my hotness.”

 

Jessica laugh as she pat him on his half spring up member. Taeng groans.

 

“You’re turn on. later?” Taeng remove her hand and intertwine their fingers together.

 

“You did that. How about you help me jerk it off?” Jessica laughter echoed inside their apartment. It was weird thinking that they live together but not even once having together. They’ve gone to third base but never push it further than that. None was complaining either. It seems they kind of just okay with it. Both somehow have their own reason for not pushing further. Jessica slip her hand into his tracksuits earning a look from the guy. Jessica looks up as she caressing with his underwear coming in between their skin preventing from touching. Taeng moans when she runs her thumb on the tip.

 

“Oh…that’s good.” Taeng was about to close his eyes when he felt Jessica pulling away and the warmth next to him disappear. She raised both eyebrows. Jessica blew him a kiss.

 

“I smell like crap and this hand…” she waving the hand that was just touching him early on and continue.

 

“…last use to stitch up a guy’s because his girlfriend caught him in bed with another girl. She tried dismembered his .” Taeng make a disgusting look as Jessica grins.

 

“Go away you party pooper!” Taeng playfully scream at Jessica as the girl make her way towards her room probably getting a cleanup and a proper rest after a tough week. If any other guy, they would be piss; left hanging with a now harden member but Taeng is cool with it. It’s nothing to be honest. He’s not mad and he had no idea why. Maybe because they’re really want it to be special on the wedding night? Maybe.

 

…..

 

A loud rattling outside woken up a guy from his peaceful sleep. He came home late last night. The premier took too long into the night. If it wasn’t because of their company funding it, he’s not even want to go. But ever since they sold everything in Seoul, his dad came to the US and rebuilt everything here. Turns out things were better here. The income is triple what they did in Seoul so they had been here ever since. Sejoung Yawn as he ruffling his hair front to back and his left hand scratching his back as he made way towards the window of his bedroom. He smile as he saw who it was on their lawn playing basketball. Sejoung grab a shirt and wear it before jogging down the staircase and out to their lawn. He fold his hands as he make way towards the half cement court they built 4 years ago.

 

“Want a sparring bro?”

 

Yuri turns around as he wipe his sweaty forehead with the back of his hand.

 

“You’re up early.”

 

Sejoung picking up the ball that roll over to his feet and twirling it on his index finger; showing off to his brother. Yuri snorts as he take his white shirt from the bench and wears it. He got into a defense stance as his eyes laid upon his cocky brother. Sejoung dribbles the ball around provoking Yuri but Yuri remain calm and just be ready. Sejoung fast dribble to the right but Yuri already anticipating it as he keep up with Sejoung. The boy then did a back bounce passing the ball to his other hand hoping to catch Yuri in the moment but Yuri had foreseen it and quickly steal the ball and move forward and did a no throw. The ball rattles before going into the net.

 

“Damn it.” Sejoung said as Yuri pick the ball.

 

“Admit it Sej. You’re bad at basketball.”

 

“Fine. Cocky huh?” Sejoung shoulder bump his brother as they both laughing. Yuri toss the ball back at Sejoung as he sit down on the bench and drink from his bottle. Sejoung keep on shooting and retrieving the ball. Yuri grins.

 

“Oi, you think you’re Kwon Taeng now doing that low shot?”

 

Sejoung face expression change as Yuri said that name. Luckily, he’s back facing Yuri. Sejoung clear his throat as he take the ball with him and started walking away. Yuri frowns but before he could get back his ball, Sejoung turns around.

 

“Mrs. Fung is done preparing breakfast. Dad want us to eat together. So move your Yuri.” Yuri grins as Sejoung tossing the ball back at him. Yuri didn’t quickly leave with Sejoung. As he holds the ball in his hands, there’s something triggering in him. This feelings. He had been feeling it for quite some time but he didn’t tell anyone. He didn’t want his family to be worried. But there’s this unknown feeling about basketball that he can’t put a finger on. He let out a heavy breather.

 

“What is wrong with me?” Yuri lift his chin as he look back at the rim. He’s now standing on the half court line. Yuri aim the ball and take a shot from the half court. The moment the ball almost going in, he crutch on the ground holding his head. The pain came back but this time with a part of memory he didn’t recall off.

 

“Because we’re sworn brothers until the end!”

 

Yuri groan as the pain subside. Sejoung comes out.

 

“Hey, you’re okay?”

 

Yuri shake his head and smile back at his brother.

 

“Yeah, I’m okay. A little dizzy.” He quickly made an excuse. Sejoung help him up but he’s still looking worried.

 

“You’re sure?”

 

Yuri nodding his head. Whatever that flashing in that few seconds, he can’t tell anyone about it. Until he figures it out, this is one secret he’s not ready to tell.

 

“I’m fine. Totally fine.”