Broken Wings

Twin Souls

Yul hit the ground hard as he lost his balance. He hissed and looking up only to see the familiar eyes on a group of people that he recognized so much. It was his twin brothers’ friends. The cool kids. Wooyoung step up and kick him hard on his left leg earning a muffling moans from his victim. He the slapping Yuri’s head but Yuri dare not to fight back.

 

“You dare harassing my girlfriend huh?!” He hit him again as Yuri just trying his best shielding himself from Wooyoung vicious attacks.

 

“I-I didn’t. H-Hyorin l-lied.” Yuri knew no one is going to believe him as he felt another kick but this time aiming for his back. He just curl like a ball hoping they would just stop. Wooyoung is piss off and he became his punching bag.

 

“ing liar! If Taeng can’t teach his little brother how to keep his hands to himself, then I’ll teach you!”

 

Yuri can only stay still as his attackers doesn’t even care of his well-being. He can only pray hard that they’ll get tired and they’ll stop hurting him soon. Wooyoung, Taecyeon and Suho are beating the hell out of him but they made sure they didn’t hit any parts of his expose body just so that no one would notice that Yuri was beaten up. Not even Taeng. Yuri closed her eyes tight as she murmuring some songs that his mother used to sing to him when he was a kid. Hopefully his brain won’t register the pain and just remembering the lyrics instead. It was madness as they didn’t yet satisfied. Yuri is already curling his body so much as he’s hypnotizing his soul not to react to any of the pain for every punch and kick.

 

“Stop guys. I think he’s already learn his lesson.” Suho said as he pulling Taecyeon and Wooyoung away. The rest of the guys just teasing smile as they’re enjoying this rare show. It was hard to separate Yuri from Taeng. But since Taeng had a meet up with their basketball coach, the opportunity is way too good not to take. Wooyoung bend down a little as he pulling Yuri by his hair. The tan guy groaned but let his eyes open afraid if that will make Wooyoung even angrier at him.

 

“If I ever see you near Hyorin again and pull that kind of stunt, I’ll beat the crap out of you in front of Taeng himself. Let your brother see how pathetic his twin is. Understand?”

 

Yuri was too tired to even answering him. That kind of testing his patience.

 

“Do you understand? Answer me!” Wooyoung shouting near Yuri’s ear and it was painful to be honest. He slowly nodding despite not really having any energy to do so. Wooyoung smirks as he pushed Yuri away and gesturing for his friends to leave the scene; leaving Yuri alone by himself. Yuri felt his body sore. Even his back is in pain. His phone suddenly ringing alarming Yuri of the thought that Taeng might had finish his meeting with his basketball coach. He forced his right hand while still laying down on the dirt to grab his phone inside his jeans pocket. It was hard considering that they had kick his hands too earlier. Once he got his phone, Yuri slowly bringing it to his ear and push the answer button.

 

“Hey, Yul! I’m done! Where are you?”

 

Yuri felt blood on his lips and it hurts trying to talk but he needs to or Taeng would know something is not right with him.

 

“I-I’m at the new book store in t-town.”

 

“Really? Okay I’m coming to pick you up.”

 

“N-No. I’ll go h-home by myself. See you at home.”

 

“Yul, mom is going to be angry if I don’t come home with you.”

 

Yuri tears finally escaping his eyes but he harshly wipe it away. Don’t cry Kwon Yuri. Don’t you dare crying!

 

“Y-You don’t like books. I’m going to take a long t-time here. Please?”

 

There was silence from Taeng’s line until he spoke again.

 

“Please?”

 

Taeng let out a heavy sighing.

 

“Okay. See you at home and buy me some comics okay?”

 

“O-Okay.”

 

Yuri moved his phone away as Taeng ended the call. He let it fall beside his face. His body felt sore everywhere. Yuri didn’t know what he did wrong. He was just helping Hyorin so that she won’t fall on the floor when she didn’t look where she puts her foot at. Why is Wooyoung keep blaming him? He was helping her. Yuri propped his hands as he gave his body a hard push. He kept his mouth shut despite how much in pain he is right now. Thankfully there’s a wall where he can lean back while hoping for the pain to go away. Yuri touch the cuts on his lips and hissing as low as he can making sure no one can hear him. Maybe if he rest here for a while, the pain will be lessen.

 

…..

 

“I-I’m home.” Yuri straightened his back not leaving any inch for doubt for his family that he just got bullied. Taeng heard him and looked up from the couch. He was waiting for Yuri to come home. Everyone was worried that Yuri is still not back despite it is already 9 o’clock.

 

“You’re late Yul. Where did you go? Mom and dad were so worried.”

 

Yuri forced a smile not letting Taeng to sense anything wrong with him.

 

“I was so into reading t-this book. Sorry. Where’s mom and dad?”

 

Taeng pointing at the kitchen area. Yuri nodding as he knew his parents probably making some dinner. His dad always help their mother to cook whenever he can. Taeng can now calm down knowing that Yuri is safe. He pats Yuri on the back not knowing that he just hit a big patch of purple bruise. Yuri bite his bottom lips as he forced his eyes open. He can’t fail now.

 

“My comics are in here right? Go and take a shower. I’ll take your bag.”

 

Yuri felt relief as Taeng didn’t noticed his weird behavior. He quickly nodding and let Taeng take his bag. He make his way upstairs while in so much pain. Lucky him, his cut lips didn’t swell up yet. He’s safe for tonight. He’s not going to eat dinner anyway.

 

“Hey, Yul?”

 

Yuri body stiffen as Taeng calling his name. He slowly turning around and saw Taeng had this stern look on his face.

 

“You’re limping.”

 

Yuri get even stiff when Taeng coming towards him. He would have cry if he wanted too and let Taeng beat his friends for bullying him but Yuri had enough of Taeng covering for him. He can face this all by himself. He didn’t want his twin to get into trouble just because he can’t defend himself. It’s not fair for Taeng.

 

“I-I fall when I try jumping over a huge barricade. You k-know how clumsy I am.”

 

Taeng raised an eyebrow as he’s still had that worried look on his face. Yuri need to assure Taeng that he’s okay.

 

“I’m fine.”

 

Yuri didn’t let Taeng coming near him as he quickly climb up the stairs not wanting for Taeng to be more suspicious. He ignored the pain and smile bitterly as he managed to slip into his room and lock the door. Tonight is going to a long night for him.

 

…..

 

It is a mistake to not eating his lunch right now. But after the deadly glare that Taeng’s friends sent to him the other day, he felt staying in the library is a great decision. He didn’t want to create anymore trouble in school. Plus he has a test tomorrow and he can use recess time to do some extra revision. Yuri was too engross in his notes that he didn’t notice someone else taking the empty chair in front of him. That person tap his book using a pencil earning a confused look from Yuri. He carefully looking up and a childish smile can be seen on his face.

 

“Sica.”

 

“Did you had your lunch yet?” Jessica tone doesn’t sound happy at all and Yuri knows he’s at fault. He purposely slipping out of class before class ended and coming here without informing Jessica at all. It’s surprising to know that she actually found him.

 

“I…” He can never lied to her. No way.

 

“I didn’t.”

 

Jessica eyebrows furrowed together as what he said registering in her mind. She sigh and stood up while taking his hand in hers. Yuri almost stumbling but maintain his balance.

 

“You’re coming with me.”

 

“B-But Sica.” Jessica tugged his hands but Yuri refuse to budge from where he’s standing. He looked down on the floor.

 

“I-I don’t want to go to the cafeteria. I just don’t want to.”

 

His sad tone breaks her heart. She never met someone like Yuri before. Someone who’s completely shutting off himself from the world. Someone that had so low of confidence. How did he survived high school before this? It tugging her heart as she had to witness this vulnerability.

 

“Yul, do you trust me?” She was hoping he would. Yuri slowly looking back at her. She just waited for him to answer her question if it will take him minutes to do so. But a smile tugging her lips as he slowly nodding.

 

“Then, just follow me. You’ll be fine. I’m your friend remember?”

 

“Okay.” He didn’t know why he trusted her. But his heart telling him that he should. Jessica is someone he should try putting trust to other than Taeng. She wouldn’t hurt him right? She won’t.

 

…..

 

Yuri lips tugging into a wide smile as he realize where’s Jessica taking him. She bringing him to the school field where he always spent his lunch time. His usual hangout place. Jessica saw his face brighten and it made her smile too. She just want him to have the perfect senior high he’ll ever be happy about.

 

“You’re that happy Yul?”

 

“Uh huh. Thank you.” He sincerely said as he started walking towards the roof covered spectator stand; his usual spot. Jessica can’t help but smiling even more as she watching Yuri being so happy. She followed behind him already anticipating his reaction when he reach his spot. And lucky her, she did saw his smile reaching both his ears.

 

“Taeng?”

 

Taeng step out of hiding spot just to surprise Yuri ad he did because the tan guy eyes are widen too. He chuckled.

 

“Gotcha you monkey!”

 

“I’ll tell mom you’re calling me monkey.” Yuri pouts as Taeng likes to a lot. Taeng ruffling his hair earning a mouthful protest from Yuri. Jessica on the other hand can’t keep her eyes away from the twins. They are so different from each other but the love they have for their counterpart is indescribable. This two siblings are so unique in her eyes. Never had she seen it before.

 

“How did you know I’m coming here?” Yuri questioned as the three of them sat down facing the vast view of green scenery in front of them. Taeng flick his forehead earning a muffling groan from Yuri.

 

“Thanks to Sica, we found you in the library and I instantly knew you hadn’t had your lunch yet. Sica roped me in a plan to force you here and the three of us can have lunch together.”

 

Yuri eyes beaming in happiness as he glanced towards Jessica. He was happy to have her as a friend. She’s a blessing in disguise for him. Taeng secretly took out a plastic bag full with foods that he bought early on.

 

“Tada!” Yuri was laughing so hard as he had to watch his twins trying to surprise him and it was so funny with that wicked expression. Taeng put distributing all the foods for him, Yuri and Jessica. Yuri can’t help but keep a wide smile on his face.

 

“Eat up Yul. You have gym class later.”

 

Taeng again ruffling his twin hair but this time instead of whining about it, Yuri just keep on smiling. It was Taeng’s way of showing his loves for him. Jessica took Yuri’s bread and help him get rid of the plastic covers.

 

“Ayyyy, you only did it for Yuri? I’m hurt Sica.” Jessica pretends not to hear Taeng’s words as she focusing on Yuri. Yuri teasingly look at Taeng who pouts as Jessica decided to help Yuri instead. Taeng flicking Yuri’s forehead again earning a laughter from the two. Jessica can only shaking her head in disbelieve as the twin exchange teasing smiles with each other.

 

“Kids.”

 

…..

 

Taeng had a basketball training and Yuri is left with an option to walk home but instead of walking alone, he’s currently walking with Jessica. Jessica didn’t bring her car this morning so the two decided they should be walking home together. Yuri is enjoying the time alone with Jessica.

 

“Yul?”

 

“Hrmmm?”

 

“Can I ask you something?”

 

Yuri diligently nodding as Jessica refrain herself from squealing in excitement watching that cute expression of him.

 

“It’s been a month since we became friends. Are you happy with me?” She was curious of his answer. It wasn’t hard not to notice the glares that other boys are giving him when she was around or the words that girls whispering behind them about him. Is he finally opening up to her? Yuri flash her that familiar smile of his.

 

“I am. You’re my friend. You’re the only one who wanted to be my friend.”

 

He was sincere and she felt relief knowing it. Maybe things will get better for him.

 

“Why won’t you be friends with everyone else?”

 

Yuri lips pressing together as he contemplated on digging up old stories. One that he had shoved deep in his memory. But then, this is Jessica; the girl that made him feel at ease. He should be able to trust her.

 

“I…” Jessica wasn’t patience enough but she won’t push him to open up. Everything will be about him. Not her eagerness.

 

“Everyone call me with names; s, jerk and…. I swear to you I didn’t do any of that. I was just…I was just helping Hyorin.” Yuri blinking his eyes hoping to hide his tears away as Jessica looking confused.

 

“Hyorin? Wooyoung’s girlfriend?”

 

He nodded.

 

“S-She had a bad break up with him the day before. I saw her trying to jump of the school building. I-I wanted to save her so..I grab her waist before she could jumped. Wooyoung came right on time and saw us on the floor with Hyorin beneath me. He..He beat me up. I asked Hyorin to tell him the truth but she just stood there and watch as everyone were beating me up. I-It was the day before my birthday.”

 

Jessica gasped as she clamped with both of her palms feeling sorry for Yuri. Tears were threatening to fall and she stopped walking. Yuri sense it and cupping her face. The tears that already rolling down her beautiful face were already sweeping away by Yuri’s thumbs.

 

“Why didn’t you tell anyone about it?” Yuri sadly smile.

 

“Taeng was running for captaincy. I’ll be ruining his chances. I can’t do it. He wanted it so bad. It was good for his long run career.”

 

Jessica didn’t know who she should feel sorry about; Yuri who endured everything, or Taeng who knew nothing. Yuri let go of Jessica’s face as he still smiling.

 

“Don’t worry Sica. I’m used to it.”

 

It wasn’t his words that break her hearts but his sad smile that somehow tugging every sad nerves in her body. He might think of her as an angel brought down for him but he hadn’t realized that he himself is an angel but with a broken wing.