Kim Yuri

Twin Souls

“Y-Yuri?”

 

“Dr. Jung!” A nurse loudly calling out her name jolted her back to her sense. This is not important right now; saving the girl life is. Jessica immediately turn around as she get inside Room 3. The girl’s life is in her hands. She can’t screw this over.

 

She splash water on her face repeatedly. Jessica placed both her palms on the edge of the basin as she looks at her reflection on the mirror. It was not a mistake. She knew that voice. That tone reminding her of her dead boyfriend 6 years ago. But there’s a sense of confidence; not the timid and shy kind of tone anymore. The way he spoke was louder than the one she remembered. The emotions that surging in her making her breathless that she had to breathe using both her nose and mouth as her lips slightly parting; as if she just run a marathon.

 

“I’m not dreaming am I?” It was a question that she couldn’t answered. After a full 10 minutes battle in Room 3 and the hassle of transferring the little girl upstairs for a surgery, she had rushed down just to find no one was waiting for the girl. Her mind must have been playing tricks on her because she heard that voice clearly. That extra guy wasn’t there. Jessica turn on the water tap once again and washing her face twice before pulling for a piece toilet paper and wiping her hands dry.

 

“Darn it Jessica Jung. Stop playing games with yourself. You’re going to get hurt.”

 

As she toss away her paper toilet, Jessica give herself one last look over her own reflection.

 

“He died 6 years ago in a devastating car accident. He’s not coming back. Remember that Jessica Jung.”

 

The tears were threatening to fall but she held it in and gritting her teeth in attempt to put away this feelings and move on; one that she had been doing so dearly in 6 years. Moving on. She exhale slowly and make her way out of the bathroom into the long hallway of ER. Her phone suddenly vibrating; it was Taeng. Jessica bite the bottom of her lips as she glancing at her wrist watch; it is past midnight and Taeng must have been so worried. Jessica answer the call.

 

“Hey Tae.”

 

“I tried calling you twice.” Jessica bite the inside of her cheeks. She put her phone on vibrating mode as soon as she was informed of an incoming teenage girl in an accident.

 

“Sorry. An emergency case came up. No one is around to take it. So I stay behind.”

 

“Really? Is it that bad?”

 

“No. The girl is in surgery. Taeng?” Jessica called for her fiancée attention. There’s silence from the other line. But she knew Taeng well enough to know that he’s thinking.

 

“You’re going to come home very late because you thought of staying until the surgery ended. Right?” Taeng always know what runs in her mind. She appreciate his understanding.

 

“Yeah. Can I?”

 

“Sica, if I said no then would you listen?”

 

“…No.” Taeng chuckle from the other line earning a small smile from Jessica.

 

“This is the reason why I love you; you’re compassionate on saving life. How long is the surgery?” It is kind of relief to hear Taeng being cool about it since he been talking to her about how she should be quitting her job and just stay at home. He said it was convenience for her and for their future.

 

“It could take a while. Probably hours. Why?”

 

“I’ll come to you then.” Taeng is tired but despite his tiredness, the thought of Jessica just had a 12 hours shift and now staying back just for another couple of hours waiting for a surgery to be done is making him anxious. He feels like it will do both of them good is he’s there to accompany her too.

 

“Tae, are you sure? You had a long day at training too. I’ll be fine.” When Jessica said it like that, Taeng instantly knew that she’s letting him making the decision. She’s not saying no and neither saying yes. It all depends on how he’s feeling at the moment.

 

“You hadn’t had dinner yet. I’ll bring some takeaways? We can eat while waiting.” To be honest, he’s just missed her; terribly. Jessica smile grow wider.

 

“That sounded like a good plan.”

 

“Okay. Stay put. I’ll be there in 15 minutes.”

 

Jessica just humming her answer as the call ended. She sigh and put back her phone in her uniform pocket. Although she’s happy that Taeng decided to come, there’s a still one question left unanswered; is she dreaming of the voice or it was real?

 

“Dr. Jung?”

 

Jessica turns around facing a nurse. She raised an eyebrow.

 

“Dr. Kid is on line 3. He want to speak with you.”

 

Jessica sigh as she rubbing her forehead. Bryan is getting into his nerve and he’s going to get it tonight.

 

“Thanks.” She left the nurse and go to the front desk accepting the call that was intended for her.

 

“Jessica! I heard what happen. Did you screw up?” Jessica almost rolls her eyes in annoyance. Instead of asking her is the girls survive, he rather wanted to know if she fails while he was in duty.

 

“If I screwed up, the board will have your head right now Bryan.”

 

“I was just checking. You know how important this month is for me. I need that promotion and I’m expecting you to do your job properly.” This month is Bryan important month; the boards are actually watching his performance in ER. They had certain rates of health that they put him on task and if the percent goes lower than the target, he might lose his promotion to Chief Resident. If that happens, the boards make it clear that they’ll be bringing in a new face for the job.

 

“Sure. I need to go now Bryan.”

 

“Make sure of it Dr. Jung.” The line went dead as Jessica bite her bottom lips; angry at Bryan lack of humanity and compassion. She slam the phone back as she leans her back against the desk. Tonight had been a long night for her and the thought of Taeng coming in somehow ease of that unwanted stress. Bryan can’t be the reason of her not worrying over the girl’s surgery success.

 

“Here.” Jessica looks up and saw a police officer offering her a cup of coffee.

 

“Thank you, Yoong.” She said as she sigh in content when the warm liquid entering and down . Yoong grins.

 

“Not that you always looks better on other days but today you seems to look even worst.”

 

Jessica just raise both her eyebrows as an answer and that earns laughter from the police officer.

 

“Bryan is getting into your nerve. Doesn’t he do that all the time?”

 

“He’s a piece of a jerk that I had the unfortunate timing to meet.”

 

“That my friend, says a lot about him.” Yoong had seen Jessica struggling with Bryan unreasonable behavior. He sometimes feels like that male doctor need a slap on the face for him to realize that he was actually treating people like a jerk.

 

“What are you doing here Yoong?”

 

“I’m here about the girl that just sent to surgery.” That earned Jessica attention. She turns around facing Yoong.

 

“I think the guy that run over her came early on. Did you get him?”

 

Yoong look surprise by Jessica remarks. The guy that came earlier?

 

“Ah you mean the guy that came with the ambulance? Yah Sica, since when you start accusing people?”

 

Now it was Jessica who looks surprise.  Yoong put down his cup of coffee.

 

“He didn’t run her over. It was a hit and run case Sica. He’s a witness.”

Hit and run case. Just a mere mention of any cases like this boiling her blood. Yuri died of the same case. Up until now, they didn’t couldn’t caught the guy that run him over. Police force tried their best tracking the guy but apparently he flew the country and remain unknown whereabouts. Jessica fingers gripping hard on her cup. She looks away. Yoong realize what he did wrong.

 

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said it. They will find him Sica. He can’t run forever.”

 

Yoong had known Jessica since college days and she had shared some of her bad past with him. Even about Yuri. While he was sorry for the guy’s family of their delay justice, he is even sorry for her. Jessica seems to be trap in a world where she can’t move on. Even after dating Taeng, he can sense half of her still wanting Yuri to be around. She let half of her heart lock with only Yuri inside. Yoong didn’t know if Taeng notice it but he do and it is preventing Jessica from accepting the truth. He place his hand on her shoulder.

 

“I believe in karma Sica. One day, justice will preserve.”

 

Jessica wipe a single tear on her right cheek as Yoong engulf her into a tight hug. Sometimes he wonders if Jessica will even cure. Jessica finally succumb to her sadness as she crying her ears out in the arms of her bestfriend. It is not fair for Taeng but deep down she just want to see Yuri alive again. Just once.

 

…..

 

Sejoung look out anxiously. Yuri is late and hell he’s worried. He called Sunny but the latter said Yuri is not with her. Bad thought invading his mind and he’s worried over his brother safety. Sejoung sit down on the couch but eyes still fix on the front window hoping Yuri’s car will pull in any moment.

 

“Where is this kid?”

 

He’s restless and this is all because of what happened 6 years ago. He need to make sure that Yuri is safe and sound.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“English Doc.” Sejoung reminding the senior doctor whe he couldn’t understand all the medicine terms used by the said doctor. His father, Kim Ingwool is with him and look clueless too. The doctor exhale slowly.

 

“3 broken ribs, a broken hand, a broken hip and…” His eyes darted away not daring to look into Sejoung eyes. Sejoung hold the doctor by his shoulder.

 

“….head trauma due to collision. His brain is swelling and it will continue swelling if we can’t contain it. Swelling will cause veins rupture and blocking fluidity.”

 

IngWool eyes widen as Sejoung release the poor doctor.

 

“And then?” He dare to ask.

 

“Once the swelling reach its maximum peak, the patient..he’ll….be brain dead. I’m sorry.”

 

Sejoung feels his knee crumble under pressure as he falls on the floor. The news is too much for him to take. IngWool shake the doctor’s body with his eyes widen.

 

“But you can save him, right?!” The doctor avoid IngWool piercing glare.

 

“No…” Sejoung looks up at both doctor and his father.

 

“No!”

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

As a sight of car coming around the corner, Sejoung stand up and make way towards the door. He opens it as the car finally pull over in its original parking spot. Yuri comes out of his car and despite the darkness, Sejoung can see Yuri’s shirt with blood all over it. He frowns. Yuri saw his brother and walking towards him.

 

“What happen to you?” Sejoung inquiries as he let Yuri in. the tan guy put down his bag and sigh.

 

“Stumble upon a hit and run accident. This is the victim bloods. It was messy. I’m late because the need me down at the station to record my statement.”

 

Sejoung face turns pale but Yuri was too engross on taking off his shirt and he didn’t notice his brother change expression.

 

“I need to shower Sej.” Sejoung comes back to his senses and cleared his throat.

 

“Yeah. You do that and go to sleep okay?”

 

“Yeah. I’m dead beat. Where’s dad?”

 

“You forgot? He had a conference in Germany.”

 

Yuri mouth form an O as he forgot all about it. Yuri said goodnight to his brother as he climb the stairs into his room. He discarded all his bloody cloth and get into shower. As he let the water runs down his body, Yuri thoughts wonder to the doctor he met in hospital. He for sure knew she didn’t care about him since she didn’t bother to see him. But he saw her and it bring a smile on his face.

 

“Dr. Jessica Jung.” Yuri can’t help but keep on smiling. He never one to believe love at first sight but as his eyes landed on the doctor who’s so into her work of saving life, he feels his heart skip a bit. He never felt it before. Not even in college. He has a few admirers back in college and none had made his heart pounding like that. Yuri place his palm on his chest.

 

“Stop beating so hard.” Who is he kidding with? No one can tell a heart what should be done. It’s crazy. Never in a million years that his heart bearing like this over a stranger. One that making him smiling ear to ear.

 

“This is crazy.”

 

…..

 

“That is good.” Jessica moans in satisfaction as Taeng just grins like an idiot. Growing up studying in foreign land, the two of them started to like foreign foods and Jessica particularly in awe with Chinese take outs. As she eats her food, Taeng can’t help but looking at her with so much love. Jessica notice him staring at her. She grins as she nudging the guy on his stomach.

 

“Stop staring. It’s weird.”

 

Taeng held his hands up.

 

“Baby, we are already weird eating some Chinese take outs in a hallway that leads to a surgery room. People are used to us being weird.”

 

Jessica looks around and Taeng is right. A lot of people are whispering and pointing at them. Taeng take a dumpling using his chopstick and shove it towards Jessica. The girl despite having a lot of food in , still eat it. She is starving like hell.

 

“Oh my god. The best dumpling ever.”

 

Taeng raise both eyebrows as he eat some. This is their favourite restaurant. They serve a hell of lovely food. Taeng is done as he put away his trash and glance at his wrist watch. The light to the surgery room is still on but Taeng see no one waiting other than them.

 

“No guardian or parents?” Jessica looks up.

 

“Yoong is fetching them here. Apparently her dad is out of the country and her mom can’t drive. So Yoong is going to fetch her.”

 

Taeng nodding in understanding. No wonder he didn’t saw Yoong when he came earlier on.

 

“What a night for her. I don’t know what to do if I got news that my daughter involve in accident. What would you do Sica if our child is in that girl’s place?”

 

Our child and Jessica almost choking on her food. Yes they are getting married and yes she do have feelings for him but it didn’t really come to her having a child with Taeng. Maybe because she wasn’t so sure of what’s going on in her heart. Jessica force a smile.

 

“I don’t know. Easy said than done.”

 

A safe answer. Good job Jessica. Taeng puckered his bottom lips totally agreeing with Jessica. Things are easier said than done. Jessica sense her fiancée sudden silence.

 

“Let’s hope and pray she’ll be fine. That is all I care right now.”

 

Taeng smile as he pick up all the trashes and put it away. He then sit next to Jessica as he wraps his arm around the latter shoulder bringing her towards him. He kiss her crown and let his thumb making a circle on side of shoulder.

 

“Hey, everything will be fine.” He whispered as Jessica resting her head on the nook of his neck inhaling his scent. She wraps her arms around his waist.

 

“tae?”

 

“Hrmm?” He hum as he gently place his chin on top of her head.

 

“Thank you for coming.”

 

She kiss his neck before closing her eyes. A short nap is what she needed right now.

 

“Anything for you princess.”

 

…..

 

Jessica was supposed to be on leave today especially after more than 12 hours shift last night. But Bryan called her and asking her to come to work. She’s so against it but as she remembered the girl last night, she punch her card but reminding herself not to do anything Bryan requested. Plus she promised Taeng too.

 

“Dr. Jung? Why are you here?” One nurse ask as Jessica checking on the patient clipboards. She smile at the nurse.

 

“I’m here to screw Bryan’s life. Where is that prick Nancy?”

 

Nancy giggles as she pointing towards the doctor lounge.

 

“He’s been doing nothing Dr. Jung. A prick he is. Ah…” Nancy suddenly remembered something. Jessica raise an eyebrow.

 

“Dr. Chang informed me to tell you that your surgery patient is finally awake.”

 

Jessica eyes twinkling in happiness as she sign the remaining clipboards. The girl survive the surgery last night but due to anesthetic, they let her rest for another 6 hours. She’s waking up is actually a good news.

 

“I was waiting for her to wake up. Tell Bryan, I’m not in and tell my interns that don’t call me if there’s nothing important. Thanks Nancy.”

 

“You’re welcome!” Nancy shouts as Jessica already dashing towards the elevator. She shake her head amuse by Jessica reactions. Jessica tap on the elevator door in in a hurry as it takes way too long to reach 5th floor. When the bell ding, Jessica quickly got out even when the door didn’t open fully. She walk fast towards the far end ward. She’s eager to see the girl. Jessica steps into the ward and saw a guy with his back facing her staring at the girl. She didn’t back away but gently close the door trying not to interrupting him.

 

“Uh, hi?” She dare herself to greet the stranger. The guy heard her and turns around. Jessica feels like her heart almost bursting through her chest the moment her sight caught onto the stranger face. She remembers that smile. She remembers that eyes. She remembers everything.

 

“You must be Dr. Jung.” The guy stood up and walking towards her. Jessica felt her breath hitch and her legs numb as he make his way towards her. She’s not dreaming. It is him.

 

“Y-Yuri..” Jessica force her voice out as she’s holding on even when her legs are almost giving up. Yuri look rather surprise as he finally stopping in front of Jessica.

 

“How did you know my name? It is Yuri.”

 

No. No. If this is a dream, it’s a nightmare but one she didn’t want to wake up from. Jessica lift up her trembling right hand as she reach for his face. Yuri slightly tilting his head as he finds Dr. Jung a little peculiar but he let her be. Jessica hand finally on his cheek as Yuri keep on smiling.

 

“Not…a dream…” Jessica muttered. seems to be closing stopping her from speaking clearly. Yuri suddenly frown as Jessica face turns pale. Something is not right.

 

“Dr. Jung? You look pale.”

 

She is. It feels like every system in her body slowly shutting down. But she didn’t want to. She didn’t want to wake up not being able to see this face.

 

“K-Kwon Y-Yuri…” Yuri frowns deepen as Jessica wrongly said his name. But her face looks even pale than early on. Yuri steps forward as soon as he saw Jessica eyes closing and her legs giving up. He catch her in his arms and together their fall on the floor but Yuri cushioning their fall with her secure in his arms. Jessica head landed on his lap as he holding on her. Her eyes are closed. Yuri panic.

 

“Dr. Jung? Jessica?” He gently slap her cheek hoping to wake her up but his efforts were futile. The door swing open right at the moment he needed it. Came a nurse carrying a tray of medicine.

 

“Help! Please, she’s unconscious!” Yuri said loudly earning the nurse attention towards them. She put away her tray of medicine on the table beside as she gets to the nearest hospital phone. She looks at Yuri.

 

“Carry her up the empty bed! I’ll call a doctor!”

 

Yuri scoop Jessica light body and gently placing her down on the empty bed. He however stay next to her as he’s holding her hand.

 

“Don’t do this Jessica. Not like this.”

 

…..

 

There are times in between 6 years that she almost give up and wanting to end her life. She didn’t because she care for her parents but also because she once promise Yuri that no matter what happen, life must go on. To other people, Yuri is just somebody that they knew from high school that had a tragic death. To her, Yuri was somebody who shown her that despite the cruel life out there, there are still human who willingly be nice to others just because he wanted it. Accepting his death is like a death punishment to herself. A lot of questions were raised; why did he go out that night? Why didn’t he inform Taeng his whereabouts? These are questions left unanswered. It was. And now standing here with the people that meant so much in Yuri’s life is making her emotions all over the places. They were supposed to be graduating together, plan on where to study and then maybe just maybe live a happily ever after life together. She hadn’t stop crying. She never did. And today as they lowering his coffin, the tears didn’t dry for him. Never had she thought that one day, she’ll be witnessing this ceremony without Yuri. Jessica bite her bottom lips as she sobs silently. She’s holding a white rose in her hands and the thorns are actually hurting her as she gripping hard but the pain is nothing compare to now.

 

“Yul, I love you.”

 

“Jessica? Dr. Jung?”

 

Jessica fluttering her eyes open and although the sudden light is kind of hurting, she force her eyelids to not close. She force and pried her eyes open to make sure if she’s still dreaming. But as the blurriness started to go away and finally form into a more understandable view, her eyes caught onto a worried face of the guy that she once cried her eyes for months. He smile in relief and she sworn that nothing about him does not resemblance Kwon Yuri.

 

“You’re awake. I was so worried.” His voice is music to her ears. She missed it so much. Yuri eyes widen when Jessica suddenly engulf her into a hug and hiding on his chest.

 

“Yuri. You’re back.” She mutters as her tears wetting his shirt. Yuri look clueless but somehow his heart is beating even faster when she’s near him. She looks so broken when she saw him and it makes him confuse but nevertheless, Yuri wrap his arms around her waist holding her against him. He didn’t know why but he just want to make her feel better. He just want her to be happy again.

 

“Yeah, I’m back.”