A date With Her

Twin Souls

I’m used to it. Yuri’s words echoed inside her head as she’s laying down on her bed thinking of what Yuri told her 3 days ago. He’s a victim of bullying and no one seems to know about it. It is sad to watch as a good guy like Yuri having problems but refuse on telling anyone. She can sense his discomfort about what was happening but he refuse to open up. She did asked around about bullying events that occurred in school in the past but no one seems to know. Even the teachers she’s spoken to have no idea of any sort of events taken place. They even said if it did happen, actions will be taken and severe punishment for those involved; but it didn’t happen as they were saying it. So Yuri didn’t tell anyone about it? Jessica let out a heavy sighing thinking if the one that Yuri told her might not be the only one. He must have been bullied a few more times that actually turning him into this a timid teenager; one that not letting anyone in his world. He preferred being with himself rather than with friends.

 

“Am I his only friend?” Jessica wasn’t stupid not to notice the weird looks that other students threw at Yuri multiple times when he was alone by himself. She was talking to a few of their classmates when she noticed all this weird glances that they occasionally sent towards him.

 

“Should I ask around? Yuri is not that bad. Why is everyone avoiding him?”

 

Jessica groaned in frustration as she pushing herself up and stretched her body towards the far end of her bed as she grabs her phone. She would be crazy if she keep talking to herself. Jessica tapping her phone screen and started typing. Who cares what others thought about Yuri. They don’t know him.

 

…..

 

Yuri is done eating his dinner as he picking up his plate and put it away. Taeng saw his brother unusual silence tonight. He’s worried about Yuri. He’s usually talkative at home. Both their parents are out of the country doing some job this week so they are left home together and it is always Taeng’s job to take care of everything including Yuri. He walked towards Yuri who didn’t notice his twin and keep on washing the dishes.

 

“Here, let me help you.” Taeng took the plates that Yuri had done rinsing with as he carefully organize it neatly on the shelf. Yuri just smile and continue with his task. Taeng glanced towards him and decided he can’t wait anymore.

 

“You’re not your usual self Yul. Want to tell me what’s going on?” Yuri didn’t look at him as he’s shaking his head. Taeng bite the inside of his cheek frustrated over Yuri refusal to tell him what’s bothering him.

 

“Yul, I know that look okay? Spill it or I’ll ask Jessica.” Yuri froze the moment he heard Jessica’s name. He tense a little but keep on doing the dishes.

 

“I’m fine. Nothing is wrong.”

 

“Are you kidding me? You usually talk a lot at home. You haven’t talk to me for two days.” Yuri innocent eyes as he turning around facing Taeng is too much for Taeng to handle. He clasp his hands on his eyes and playfully kicking Yuri.

 

“Don’t give me that look!”

 

“What?” Yuri knew his only way to get out of this is by keeping his innocent face that Taeng can never go against. Taeng has two weaknesses; Yuri innocent looks and his childish pouts. He has no idea why but he can’t get mad with Yuri everytime he gave him those two looks. Taeng flicking Yuri’s forehead earning a mouthful complain from the younger boy.

 

“Just tell me or I’ll Sica! You want me to call Sica?”

 

Sica? Yuri frowns a little as Taeng calling Jessica the nickname he used to call her. But his frown quickly disappear before Taeng could see it. Taeng wrapping his right arm around Yuri’s neck bringing him closer as he head locking him with enough force to keep Yuri on spot.

 

“Taeng! Let me go!”

 

“No! Tell me what’s wrong!”

 

“Nothing! I was just thinking about my exam next week!”

 

Yuri stop struggling as he felt Taeng loosen up his hold.

 

“Really? You’re not talking because of exams? You’re not lying right?”

 

Yuri quickly shaking his head hopefully it will be enough to erase Taeng’s curiosity. Taeng raised an eyebrow thinking if Yuri is lying or not.

 

“If you’re lying, I’m going to tell mom. Understand?” Taeng threateningly said. Yuri felt his brother finally pulling his arm and he quickly creating space between him and Taeng. He can sense that Taeng is not really convince by his excuse but he didn’t really want to tell anything right now. Not when he was not sure of it himself. Taeng exhale hard as patting Yuri on the head as his lips tugging into a familiar smile that Yuri found it calming.

 

“Hey no matter what happen, you know you can tell me right?”

 

Taeng meant every words. He knew how a lot of his friends not fond of Yuri and he finds it difficult to deal with. He wanted to ask them why but Yuri said in the past that he didn’t mind any of it. So he put that thought aside not wanting to hurt Yuri in the process. Yuri childishly grin. Taeng then ruffling Yuri’s head.

 

“I’m tired and I’m heading to bed first. You’ll be fine right?”

 

“Don’t worry. I’m not a kid anymore.”

 

Taeng playfully held his hands up not wanting to accuse Yuri of anything. Yuri just watch Taeng retrieving back as he’s heading to his bedroom leaving Yuri alone in the hall. Yuri let his body slump down on the couch as his eyes darted towards the television. It’s his cartoon night tonight. He was too engross when his phone beeping warning him of a new text message. Yuri eyes were still on the television when he take out his phone from his pants pocket.

 

Are you awake?

 

Yuri read the text as his eyes widen in surprise. Jessica just texted him. Yuri quickly push his body into a sitting position not believing what he just read. With trembling hands, he carefully typing his reply.

 

I am. I’m watching cartoons.

 

He waited in eager. It only took Jessica 5 seconds to reply back. His small smile turn into a wide grin.

 

Cartoons? Which cartoons are you watching now?

 

Yuri blush as he didn’t know if he should be answering that. Jessica might think him as a kid. It’s kind of embarrassing to be honest.

 

Mickey Mouse?

 

His heart beating fast as he waited for her reply. He place his palm on his chest and it is surely beating fast. Another beep. Yuri hastily read it.

 

Cool. I like Mickey too.

 

Really?

 

Maybe his heart will literally stop if Jessica confirms this.

 

Yeah. It’s cool. I like cartoons too but Minnie is my favorite.

 

Yuri fist bump repeatedly as he’s jumping on the couch almost yelping in happiness. He giggles as he’s aware that Taeng is sleeping upstairs.

 

I like Minnie too!

 

Oh? That’s why we’re bestfriends!

 

Bestfriends? Yuri didn’t want that. But who is he kidding?

 

Yeah we’re. Bestfriends.

 

Another reply from Jessica. Despite the bestfriend declaration that surely kind of hurting, Yuri still want to keep on texting with the girl.

 

Let’s go out tomorrow? I’m new to the area so it would be nice if I have someone to accompany me. Pleassseeee?

 

Yuri gloomy mood vanish as he can imagine how cute Jessica is when she said please. He’s grinning like an idiot. Jessica Jung asking him out on a date. There’s no way he would say no. It’s a yes.

 

Okay! I’ll go!

 

Yuri was too happy to notice that he sounded desperate in his text. He should have wait for a few more seconds before replying so that Jessica won’t notice how happy he is when she asking him out. Yuri mentally chiding himself for not thinking thoroughly. His phone beeping again. Yuri quickly read the text.

 

You’re that happy with my invitation that you couldn’t even wait for a few seconds to reply Yul?

 

Yuri face looks so red that he might be resembling a tomato. How did Jessica know that? Is it obvious? He nervously replied.

 

I am. Sorry.

 

He’s honest and his parents told him that honesty is the best policy. It is embarrassing to admit but he didn’t feel like lying to Jessica. Yuri almost throwing his phone away surprise by the sudden beeping.

 

Well, I’m happy too. Now we’re even. I’ll pick you up tomorrow at 10. See you!

 

Yuri is so happy that his text reply consist of 50 smiley faces sent to Jessica. He put his phone aside as he’s jumping on the couch celebrating his success on getting a day out with Jessica. Well technically it was Jessica who asked him out but whatever. He’s happy and can’t wait for tomorrow to come.

 

…..

 

Taeng pushed away his blanket as he sat down on his instead. He was really tired today but as soon as get to his bed, his eyes decided that sleep is not what they want right now. Taeng groaning in frustration over his not sleepy state anymore. He glanced towards his PC. Should he be playing a video games until he’s sleepy again? That is a good idea. Then when he’s tired again, he can go to sleep. But, he seems not in the mood for another night of video games. He glanced towards the door of his bedroom. Maybe he should be joining Yuri watching cartoons downstairs. But Micky Mouse is not his thing. There’s no way he can watch for more than 10 minutes. Taeng exhale loudly.

 

“Dang it. Now what should I do?”

 

Well for a start, tomorrow he doesn’t have any class. He should be planning on what to do tomorrow instead. He grins happily as an idea came. It’s not wrong to try right? Taeng get his phone from the side table and scrolling down his phone contacts.

 

Jessica Jung.

 

Taeng glancing towards his digital clock; 9.30 PM. Maybe he can try his luck. He push the call button and waiting for Jessica to pick it up. 3 rings were all it takes.

 

“Hello?” Oh her beautiful voice. It didn’t sounded hoarse so it means he didn’t interrupting her sleep. Great decision Taeng!

 

“Hey, it’s me Taeng.” As soon as Taeng introduce himself, he can hear noises coming from the other line. Jessica was probably doing something when he call.

 

“Sorry, I was arranging some of my stuffs.”

 

“It’s nothing. You’re cleaning your room at night?” He is curious considering it’s kind of late. Jessica giggles and Taeng swore her tone sounded like heaven.

 

“Not my room. I’m putting away some unused stuffs into a box. Mom want to keep all the antics up at the chimney. I was supposed to be sleeping but.. well.. you know.”

 

“Ah. No wonder. Is it a bad timing? I can call you later.”

 

“No, it’s okay. So what’s up?” Taeng is already laying back on his bed.

 

“Uh, I thought of asking you out tomorrow. If you want to. You know as a friend.”

 

Taeng didn’t know why but he stop breathing as he’s waiting for Jessica to answer. When he heard Jessica voice, his lung already screaming for an oxygen.

 

“It’s not that I don’t want to but I already promise Yuri to go out tomorrow. I’m booking him as my tour guide.”

 

Yuri? His baby brother Yuri? That is kind of surprising. Yuri never went out with anyone outside the family before.

 

“You’re going out with Yuri?”

 

“Not as a date. He’s already doing so much by helping me around tomorrow.” There’s a hint of anger in her voice probably because she didn’t like the sarcastic tone that Taeng uses. Taeng in no doubt knew that Jessica is probably mad at him. He didn’t mean to say it that way.

 

“Sorry. It came out wrong. I mean Yuri never go out with people outside the family before. It’s kind of surprising to be honest.” He was seriously felt sorry for not considering Jessica’s feelings when he said that. Jessica probably sense his sincerity so she brush it off.

 

“I understand. Don’t worry.”

 

“We’re cool?”

 

“Of course we’re cool.”

 

“Um, Sica? If you don’t mind, can I tag along with you two? I don’t have anything to do tomorrow plus my parents aren’t around. It’ll be boring like hell without Yuri in the house.”

 

“Sure. The more the merrier.” Taeng mentally celebrating his success to get a day out with Jessica. Plus Yuri would be with them too. It will be fun.

 

“I’ll come by tomorrow at 10. Don’t be late Taeng.”

 

“Nah I won’t.”

 

“Okay, see you tomorrow. Goodnight.”

 

“Goodnight!” Taeng happily greeting her back as the line went dead. He can’t seem to be wiping that cheeky smile on his face. Tomorrow is going to a good day for him. Maybe Yuri can help him getting to know Jessica even more. Nice plan Taeng. Yuri would definitely help.