We Screw Up

Twin Souls

Yuri silently cursing as yesterday memories invading his mind, creating this unsettling feelings. He swore that he didn’t mean any of it. It was just a spur of a moment and probably a mistake for what he did. He took advantage of the situation. But to be honest, what will you do if a woman crying as she saw your face and unconsciously claiming that somehow you have this connection to begin with. The only reason why he said that was probably because of the blank memories of his childhood that he really desperate wanting to know but couldn’t for years. And when a doctor claiming to know him, Yuri couldn’t stop this thirst to actually finally learning about his past; one that his family is reluctant on telling.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“You’re Yuri. Kim Yuri?”

 

Jessica said as she didn’t let his hands go. She almost break down earlier but she held on telling himself not to faint and loss this guy who might be Yuri from her past. Yuri still looking confuse as he trying to digest this unfamiliar feelings especially when he saw Jessica shocking expression when she saw him. He slightly nodding.

 

“Yes, I’m Kim Yuri. I’ve been staying here since..forever.”

 

The moment he said that, Jessica expression change instantly. The hope he saw in her eyes vanish and it was replaced with more sadness. Her grip on his arm loosen. He didn’t like it at all. It feels like he’s the reason why she’s so sad. It feels strange. The woman bite her bottom lips as she slightly pulling away creating distance between them. Why is his heart hurting when she pulled away? Yuri leans his body forward as he wipe the trace of tears on the doctor face using the back of his palm.

 

“I don’t know why you’re crying but it made me sad.”

 

Her eyes were probably the one thing about her that he’ll never forget. There’s stories behind that dark brown eyes; a story that maybe relating to her crying when she saw him. Jessica sadly smile as the familiar touch reminding her of her dead Yuri.

 

“What was I thinking? I’m really sorry. I just…we missed him. So much.”

 

Him? They must have look so much the same that Jessica couldn’t tell the difference between them. It raise questions that Yuri certain is only going to hurt the brunette doctor.

 

“Can I know whom are you talking about?” Yuri saw Jessica looking up at him before looking away avoiding his eyes. She let out a small breath as she seems to be holding back more tears. It’s painful for him to watch her breaking down like this. The memories probably hurting more than the question asked. Yuri feels bad already.

 

“I’m sorry. I-I shouldn’t have asked. You don’t have to tell me…I mean..”

 

“Kwon Yuri.”

 

“Huh?” Yuri suddenly exclaim as Jessica cuts in stopping him from talking.

 

“k-Kwon Yuri?”

 

Jessica exhale as she leans back on the couch.

 

“I shouldn’t be talking and dragging you into this.”

 

Jessica stands up hoping to get herself out without having to answer his question and bringing back the memories that hurt. Yuri hand unconsciously hold on her wrist stopping her from walking out on him. Jessica didn’t dare to turn around. If he’s not Kwon Yuri but why it feels like he is?

 

“Don’t go.”

 

Yuri gently tugging the doctor hand towards him without knowing that he kind of pulling her way too hard towards him. Jessica stumble on her leg as she lose her balance. As cheesy as it goes, she lands her next to Yuri and with her hands pulling on him because she was afraid that she might fall on the floor instead. Yuri eyes widen as he was pulled down along with her. He cushion his fall on both his elbows on each side of her head. Time seems to be stopping as their gaze on each other; body pressing and nose almost touching. Jessica didn’t dare to move afraid that if she do then she might regret it.

 

“I like your eyes.” She feels vulnerable below him as his eyes wandering from her eyes down to her lips. She has her palms on his chest creating some sort of distance but Yuri doesn’t seems to realize it. If he is then he wouldn’t be so close like this.

 

“It feels like I’ve seen it somewhere.” Yuri continued totally ignoring the trembling beneath him or Jessica getting uncomfortable with him hovering on top of her; he’s too close. Jessica gulp hard as Yuri leans his face forward as he take a sniff of her perfume. Oh my god. Please don’t do this.

 

“You smell familiar too. I know I know this smell.”

 

“Yuri, you’re too close.” Jessica push him hard as he stumble to the side giving her space to get out of his reach. The longer he’s near her, she won’t make it out of here; heart intact. Yuri didn’t force it but remain near her. This unsettling feelings just couldn’t go away and it is all because of Jessica. Jessica feels like she’s shrinking under his gaze. Where is Taeyeon when she needed him? Taeyeon need to see Yuri. Maybe he’ll believe the same as hers.

 

“Dr. Jung..”

 

“Jessica.” Jessica cuts in. Yuri flash a smile and continue.

 

“Jessica, you called me by my first name the first time we saw each other early on. I don’t think we’ve met before. How did you know?”

 

Yuri watch as Jessica squirming uncomfortable in her seat. She was weird to be honest. She cried like crazy and claiming him as Kwon Yuri and even saying he’s back. But back from where? These information might not have anything to do with him but maybe he can relate it to the reason why he couldn’t remember anything from his childhood memories.

 

“I…I know someone..”

 

“Dr. Jung!” A nurse barging into the private ward startling both Yuri and Jessica. She looks pale and in a hurry. She earns Jessica attention.

 

“What is it?”

 

“We have two kids coming into Trauma 1! We need you downstairs!” Her announcement was clear to both of them. Jessica push herself up and picking up her stethoscope on the side table and pull out the IV drips from her left hand ignoring the look Yuri is giving her. The nurse feels sorry for Jessica knowing that the good doctor just fainted earlier and forcing her out to work right now is not right but they are down with staffs at the moment. Extra hands are well welcome.

 

“Jess!” Yuri call for Jessica attention but the woman didn’t stop on her trance as she following the nurse leaving Yuri by himself. He sigh.

 

“I didn’t get your number.”

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

He can’t focus on his work. Jessica’s face seems to be constantly appearing in his mind invading his thoughts distracting him from his works. Hell he need to be submitting this by tomorrow but how can he start any of it without thinking about Jessica? He sigh as he put away the brown file he was reading earlier. He let his back resting on the chair as he close his eyes hoping that he can try and erase Jessica from his mind.

 

“Kwon Yuri. Who’s he?”

 

Yuri mumbling as he remembered that name. Jessica mention it countless time before she fainted. She said about Kwon Yuri is back for her. The guy run away from home? Maybe. Yuri hiss as he fluttering his eyes open and got into google. If the internet is spread wide enough then maybe he can try searching for someone named Kwon Yuri? Yuri reluctant on doing so because he’s afraid of disappointment if the search leading to nothing.

 

“Screw it.” Yuri typing Kwon Yuri and press enter as Google shows pages of anything relating with the name.

 

“Idols. SNSD. . Russia.” He narrowing his eyes as the search is kind of nonsense. ? Really? Thankfully he’s office is tinted and no one can see him from the outside or they might caught him scrolling down pages of Yuri’s s. He keep on scrolling until page 9 when his eyes caught onto an article dated back 2 years ago. He clicks it and let the page loading. As soon as it finish loading, Yuri started reading.

 

South Korea new basketball sensation, Taeyeon is full of surprises. As he came for today photoshoot, we get to talk with the baby face 6 ft guard who’s now playing in the NBA. Taeyeon just like his name meaning calm, still has that smile that melting any girls if he want it but the guy said he’s not available; fully taken. We talk about a lot of things particularly about basketball. His eyes sparkling when the topics are all about basketball. Taeyeon even blush when we tried changing topics into marriage. He said, his fiancée is not yet ready and when was asked if he’s ready to introduce her to the world, Taeyeon grins like a little kid.

 

“My fiancée wouldn’t appreciate the fame to be honest. I don’t want to bring her into it and exposing her to the world. You’ll know her when she want to. Until then she’ll remain anonymous.” Taeyeon exclaim as he seems to agree with his fiancée decision. We again change the topics into family and friends and this time Taeyeon happy smile slowly disappearing. Everyone in South Korea knew why-his baby brother. Taeyeon lost his brother in an accident when they were 17. His twins were his sole reason why he’s still playing.

 

“I’m playing for my parents and my brother. I know he’ll look down at me and be proud of what I’ve achieved. Kwon Yuri, I’m playing our game. Remember?”

 

“Yuri. Kwon Taeyeon. Kwon Yuri?” Yuri mumbling to himself. He had read a lot about Taeyeon in sport news. But this is his first time knowing that Taeyeon dead twin name was Yuri. Is this Yuri is the same as Jessica mentioned? But..

 

“I don’t see any engagement ring on her fingers.” Yuri is sure that he didn’t see any of that on Jessica’s fingers. It can’t be coincidence. There’s no way Jessica is related to Taeyeon. Plus no one really know whom Taeyeon’s fiancée is. His secretive.

 

“Yul?” Sunny head poking from behind the door almost making Yuri jumping on his seat. His quickly close the browser and pretending like he’s doing some work when obviously he’s not. Sunny close the door behind her and sit down on the empty chair in front of his desk.

 

“Yeah what’s up Sunny?”

 

“I’m just here to remind you that you have a meeting in an hour. You’re driving or you want me to drive you?”

 

Yuri almost forgot about the meeting. He’s glad Sunny is here to remind him. He quickly nodded.

 

“I’ll go by myself.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Yuri lips tugging into a smile.

 

“Yeah I’m sure.”

 

“Okay, if you say so.” Sunny didn’t want to bother her boss any longer despite she can see that he looks a little distracted. But before she can even do anything, Yuri calls for her attention.

 

“Hey, Sunny. Can I asked you something?”

 

“Yeah sure.” Sunny nonchalantly answered as she puts down her Ipad and solely focusing on Yuri. It seems like he’s not talking about work related. It feels like personal to her.

 

“Have Sejoung told you anything about my childhood days? I mean before the accident?”

 

Sunny didn’t answer soon. She’s thinking of the answer she should be given. Her friend is desperate for his past and it is kind of sad knowing that he can’t.

 

“Nothing that you didn’t know. Why?”

 

Yuri groan as he slump deeper into his seat. The more he thinks of it, the more it get confusing. Sunny resting her chin on her palm; supporting her elbow on the arm rest waiting for Yuri to continue. Yuri understood her silence. He knew her since college days. He can’t lie to her.

 

“I met this girl in a hospital. Remember I texted you telling about the accident?”

 

Sunny quickly nodding. Yuri run his palm on his face trying to form words to continue.

 

“She’s the doctor that treating the girl. I came to the hospital yesterday and I saw the doctor. The weird thing is, she cried and hugging me saying my name. Then she fainted. Apparently, I’m reminding her of someone from her past. The same past I can’t remember.”

 

“What make you said that? I mean coincidence is normal. She probably mistaking you with the other guy?”

 

Yuri sigh as he run his hand on the back of his neck.

 

“She said my name before she fainted. She called Yuri. I never met her before. This is way too coincidence Sunny.”

 

“Okay, let say you were right and maybe your face probably reminding her of her friend. But you do know that every human walking on the earth, we have 7 others that look the same? Yul, it feels like you’re trying to put nonsense into your theory. You got into an accident and loss your memories. Sejoung wouldn’t hurt you, you know.”

 

He knows that. He realized what he just said. It feels like he’s accusing his family and brother of something that might not even be true. Sunny saw his expression fills with guilt. She smile and lean forward as she let her palm resting on his.

 

“Don’t think about it too much. You’re going to get hurt for nothing. Anyway, who’s the doctor Yul?”

 

“Dr. Jung Jessica.”

 

Sunny mouth an O as a reply.

 

“Why?”

 

Sunny shrugged it off and pat Yuri on his hand. Yuri force a smile but deep down he was hoping that this year could be the year where he can finally remember anything. Just for his sake.

 

…..

 

Sejoung looks up and saw Sunny finally arriving to their meeting place. He smile at her but the blonde girl didn’t smile back and it somehow earning a look from him.

 

“You have a foul mood. What’s wrong?”

 

Sejoung asking as Sunny signaling for her usual drinks. She needed that for the news that she’s going to announce. Sejoung waited as Sunny finish her whiskey in one shot. This behavior of her is weird considering she rarely drink a one shot after work on a working week.

 

“Seriously, tell me. What’s wrong?”

 

Sunny gently slam the cup on the counter asking for another refill. She didn’t turn around facing Sejoung.

 

“She’s here.”

 

Sejoung raise both his eyebrows.

 

“Who’s here?”

 

Sunny smirk as she tilting her head towards Sejoung.

 

“Jessica Jung.” The corner of her lips raise as her lips turn into a lopsided smile. She did another one shot as Sejoung blood draining from his face. The news did not what he’s expecting. He frowns.

 

“How did you know?”

 

“Yuri saw her and Sejoung?”

 

“Yeah?” Sunny take another shot and swing her chair facing Sejoung. She raise her cup.

 

“She saw him.”