It's Hurt

Twin Souls

“Yul, I want that.” Jessica pointed at a brown bear as big as her just hanging behind the counter. There’s a carnival coming to their town and both of them decided to enjoy their date here. Actually it was Yuri who insisted that they should visiting the carnival. He never been to one before. Taeng promise him that they would come when the carnival comes again but now that he has a girlfriend, Yuri pouty lips, puppy eyes and whining voice convince Jessica to have their date inside the carnival.

 

“That big brown bear?” Yuri asked again just to confirm it. Jessica hadn’t ask him for anything after 5 weeks of countless dates so he want to make sure she’s happy coming here since he knows it is kind of childish to have a date in a carnival. Jessica hold his hand as she cutely nodding. She even flashing him her famous puppy eyes that she learn from the master itself; Kwon Yuri. Yuri rubbing the back of his neck as he saw the game that he needed to play in order to win that bear. It’s a shooting game. Jessica puckered her bottom lips as she silently pleading towards Yuri. Yuri puffing his cheek as he leads the way towards the booth. A guy probably the same age as them greeting him.

 

“Want to try kid? 3 shots just for 3 dollars.”

 

“3 dollars?”

 

“Yeah. Shoot the ping pong balls that has a number on it. That represent your prize number.”

 

Yuri felt his palm getting sweaty. Jessica sense his reluctance as she held his arm before he handed over his 3 dollars. He glance towards her.

 

“It’s okay if you don’t want to. I’m just joking.”

 

The booth guy grins as he saw the two teenager. He leans forward.

 

“Are you his girlfriend kid?”

 

“Yeah I am.”

 

His smile grew wider as he chuckles.

 

“Wow I never see a nerd with a girlfriend as hot as you.”

 

Yuri face turn solemn as the booth guy just took whatever pride let in him. Jessica is already shooting daggers through her eyes towards the booth guy who silently taking a step back with hands in the air.

 

“Woah, I’m just joking kid. Trying to make some conversation. Anyway, you want to try?”

 

Yuri shakily handed over his notes as the guy took it from him and handing over a rifle toy.

 

“The gun shot rubbers so don’t worry about killing people. 3 shots. Take your pick.”

 

“Erm, which number is it for the brown bear?” His shaky voice was clear to the guy as he can’t help but smiling even more. He points towards a ping pong ball that was placed behind a brick. You can only see half an inch of it from where they are standing.

 

“Since I think you’re a good kid, I’ll tell you which one. The one behind that yellow brick.”

 

Yuri biting his bottom lips. There’s practically no space for him to hit that ball without shooting at the brick. Jessica cursed herself for asking Yuri to get her that brown bear. Yuri is never confidence about himself and if he fails to get that bear she’s pretty sure he’ll be blaming himself even more.

 

“Hey, you don’t have to. If you get it I’ll be happy and if you don’t get it, I’ll still be happy. We’re spending time together and that makes me happy.”

 

Her reassurance did lifting up his spirit. He vigorously nodding his head as he held the rifle and get into a shooting stance. He aim towards the small gap. First shot, it hit the corner of the brick. Yuri frowns but didn’t want to give up.  He aim again and fire his second rubber bullet. This time it was closer to the gap but still not enough.

 

“That’s two.” The guy announced as Yuri getting more restless. Jessica felt like she needed to help him out so she tip toed and kiss his cheek earning a surprise look from him.

 

“For luck.” Yuri lips tugging into a wide smile as though the kiss just gave him strength to continue. He exhale and aim for one last time. He’s praying this time it will hit his target. He fired and the rubber bullet went through the gap but it wasn’t enough to knock the ping pong ball away. Yuri felt like crying. He just a disappointment. He placed down the rifle but didn’t dare to look up. Jessica had to step in front of him and cupping his face lifting his face up so that she can see his face. She felt like chiding herself when she saw the disappointment look on his face. She shouldn’t have asked for that bear. Now Yuri is not going to be happy.

 

“Sica…I couldn’t win it.” It hurts her to know that even the simplest things like this can actually leave a deep impression in Yuri. His eyes speak volume of it. She pulls him down and kiss his lips.

 

“There’s nothing to win when I’m with you.” Yuri lips forming a small smile as Jessica pulls back. No one had ever said anything sweet towards him.

 

“I-I’ll try again someday and win it for you.” He’s determine to get the bear and if it is going to take him forever then so be it. He will get the bear. Jessica pinched both his cheek as she peck his lips.

 

“Someday sounded good.”

 

Jessica wrapping her arms around his right hand and was about to drag him away when a ping pong ball falls from the top row. Both Yuri and Jessica turn their head towards the noise.

 

“Opsss, it falls. You just won kid.”

 

Yuri eyes widen and mouth slightly open when the guy take the brown bear and handed it over towards Yuri. He grins.

 

“Congratulations. Take good care of the bear okay?”

 

Yuri with his shaky hands took the bear in his hands. He looks t it for a second before handed it over at Jessica.

 

“I win! I did it! Sica, I did it!” Jessica take the bear from his hands as he’s jumping around celebrating the unexpected victory. He looks so happy that he took her hands and together they’re jumping around earning a happy look from the booth guy.

 

“We win!”

 

…..

 

“Here.”

 

Jessica take a few notes from her pocket and handed it over to the booth guy that is currently closing his booth. He turns around as soon as he heard her voice. He look down at the notes and then back up at her face. He raised an eyebrow.

 

“Unless you want to shoot another ball, what is that money for?”

 

“For the brown bear. He didn’t win it. You let him win.”

 

The guy chuckle as he stacking all the guns in its compartment.

 

“You’re too smart for a teenager.”

 

“You’re running a business and that bear surely cost you just to give it to us for free.”

 

“No I didn’t. He paid for it. 3 dollars.”

 

“It’s not even near the real price.”

 

The guy broke into a laughter as he shake his head. He leans back on his booth as he cross his arms and looking back at Jessica.

 

“Where is he anyway?”

 

Jessica glanced towards the men’s toilet. His mouth slightly parting as he nodded understood.

 

“He needed that and I’m sure it means a lot to him just trying to impress you.”

 

“More of the reason why you should take the money now.”

 

“Hey, you owe me nothing. Keep it. My dad actually own this carnival and losing one teddy bear is not really a problem. Plus it’s been hanging up there for quite a while.”

 

Jessica thought for a second before sliding back her money in her jeans pocket. There’s something she wanted to ask.

 

“Why? Why did you help him?”

 

“Where do I start? Let say I know how it feels to have someone like him around.”

 

“Your girlfriend?”

 

The guy grins as he’s shaking his head.

 

“Nah, my baby sister.” He took out his wallet and show Jessica a picture of a girl.

 

“Her name is Sohye. Your boyfriend reminding me of her. She’s so innocent and with low esteem that people around her starting to bully her around. Sometimes she would come home trying so hard not to cry in front of me. I knew better. But despite all the bad stuffs they did to her, she would always smile back. I sense he’s like her and I pray hard that you’re not like the bullies. I can see he really loves you.”

 

A tinge of redness can be seen on her cheek. The guy saw it and smile.

 

“And I was right. He’s unique. It takes hard work to earn his trust. But once you break it, he will never trust anyone with his heart anymore. Take care of him. Plus you guys are cute together.”

 

“Thank you for the advice and also the bear.”

 

“He won it for you. Either way I know he’ll come again all the time until he win it which is annoying for me.” She chuckles as she knew he was just teasing her.

 

“I should get going then.”

 

“Yeah you should…uhhh..” He forgot he didn’t know her name. Jessica smirks.

 

“Jessica.”

 

“Ah. I’m Sejeong. See you when I see you Jessica.”

 

“Ditto.”

 

Sejeong eyes followed Jessica back as she fast walking towards Yuri who just came out of the toilet. He can see the tan boy smiling reaching both ears as soon as he saw Jessica. He shrugged as he started packing his booth again. Today is a good day for him.

 

…..

 

Yuri park the car in front of Jessica house. It’s nearly 10 and blame the traffic. But he’s relieve knowing he made it before 10. His parents always reminding him and his brother to always send girls home before 10. They said it’s the gentleman’s way.

 

“We’re here.”

 

“Um..Sica?” Yuri called her attention as he release his hold on Taeng’s steering car. He’s driving his brother car. Jessica turns towards him.

 

“What is it?”

 

Yuri take a deep breath. His heart is pounding hard and the silence is actually making him more nervous. He want to tell her something and he was hoping he could do it tonight. Keeping it secret is not good for him.

 

“Why me?”

 

“What do you mean?” She’s confused but when the question and his solemn expression dawn on her, she finally gets what he meant. She let her hand resting on top of his but Yuri gently pulling his hand away.

 

“I heard what they said in school. I know Wooyoung likes you too. All the super popular guys like you. But you choose me. They said I don’t deserve your attention.”

 

Jessica frowns as she gets really frustrated over Yuri’s lack of confidence. Can’t he see that she doesn’t care?

 

“Does it matter if they like me? Because I don’t Yul and right now I’m with you. Why bother about them?”

 

“Because it’s true. You know it’s true.”

 

His words hurt her and he knew it when he saw her eyes looking back at him. What has he done? He felt so stupid. He just hurt the girl that despite all odds still with him. Jessica disappointedly shaking his head. Maybe, Yuri need more time for himself right because she is.

 

“No matter what I say, it seems what others said meant a lot more to you. Believe whatever you want Yul but know that I love you and no one is forcing me to do so. I’ll see you tomorrow. Goodnight.”

 

Jessica was ready to leave when she felt him holding her wrist stopping her from getting out of the car. She didn’t want to look back but somehow she did and he was looking right back at her.

 

“But I’ll promise you that I won’t run away. I’ll be here as long as you want me to be.”

 

Whatever pain she felt earlier means nothing comparing to the loving gaze in his eyes and his soft voice ringing gently in her ears. It feels like she meant a whole world to him. She leans forward and capturing his lips as they pouring their feelings in that soft but urging kiss. Like a match made in heaven, their lips moulding nicely against each other. He’s no professional but his innocent what lures her in; making every kiss special because he keep surprising her with every touch. As they pull back to breath, Yuri held Jessica close to him with both her palms resting on his cloth chest.

 

“Sica…I love you.” She felt tears pooling in her eyes. Not because of his confession but his confidence layering along the words that bringing her on the verge of tearing up. She cups his face and try not to cry by smiling.

 

“Love you back. Never doubt us. That’s all I ask.” As he shyly smile and capturing her lips to assure her that he’s not going anywhere. At least. For now.

 

…..

 

Jessica was walking down the road when she saw the empty basketball court just to her side. There’s a ball left there too but no one is playing. Did they forgot to bring the ball with them? She looks down on her wrist watch.

 

“Mom is not coming back until 6 so I should be good for a 30 minutes of playing.”

 

How long has it been since she stop playing any sports? Back then if she had time, she would at least take a walk down the park and just breathing the fresh air. Since moving here, she was too occupied with school and other stuffs that she forgot to enjoy just playing by herself. Jessica smile as she made her way towards the empty basketball court. She looks around and when she was sure that she’s not interrupting anyone, she pick up the ball and held it between her palms.

 

“It’s still good. Why would people left it here?”

 

Jessica looks up towards the post and smile as she take a shot. Her ball rattles on the hop before falling outside. She bite her bottom lips as she run towards the ball and try again. Basketball was never her thing so she might take more than 10 shot just to see it goes in.

 

“You got this Jessica. How hard ca it be?” Jessica was hoping her words can help her spirit up and probably make the brilliant shot. She aims again and release the ball. It rattles again around the hop but just like her first attempt, her second look even worst. She groans as the ball rolling away from her.

 

“You look like you need a good coach Sica.” Jessica look behind her and saw Taeng grinning like a kid with both hands in his jumper shirt pocket.

 

“How about you try captain. I can laugh when you up.”

 

Taeng is laughing hard as he walking towards the abandon ball and pick it up. He twirls it on his index finger as he made his ways towards Jessica. Taeng stood next to her and turn around facing her.

 

“You won’t be laughing.” Taeng threw the ball behind him as it goes up and then through inside the hop. He smirks as Jessica sneered and shaking her head.

 

“Cocky.”

 

“2 points for me.” Taeng turns around and get the ball before walking back towards Jessica.

 

“Want to try Sica?”

 

“Sure. I have nothing to lose.” Jessica takes the ball. Taeng take a step behind. Jessica try to aim again but Taeng came behind her and placed his hands on her as he helped her aim. Jessica body tense a little when he do that. She can feel his whole body behind her and his face next to hers.

 

“Don’t aim on the hops. Aim the board behind. You’ll get it in.”

 

His voice soften as he explain it to her. Jessica do as he ask and aim higher towards the board. She take a deep breath and let the ball go with a subtle force. Her eyes trailing along with the ball as it hit the board and goes in. Her eyes widen.

 

“It goes in!”

 

Taeng take a step back as Jessica jumping celebrating her success. He grabs the ball again and held it while she’s still happily celebrating.

 

“I’m good at teaching people. Give me a week then you can go for the school try outs.”

 

He’s cocky indeed but it’s not really annoying especially after spending time with him. There’s differences between him and Yuri. Yuri is more the innocent type and he’s honest about everything. While Taeng is nice but very playful. But both twins care about each other. That’s she can vouch for.

 

“Nah, I’m good with what I am now. I can’t take away the jock title from you.”

 

Taeng rubbing his chin and he playfully furrowed his eyebrows.

 

“Well the cheerleaders aren’t happy with you already. You can have them take your side if you join my group.”

 

Jessica grins as she sat down on the empty bench next to the court. Taeng dribbles the ball around him while keeping his attention towards Jessica.

 

“I don’t fit into your group. Don’t push your luck.”

 

“At least I try. You’ll be pretty popular.”

 

“I’m not liking the idea. Plus Yuri is not comfortable with your friends. You know that right?”

 

Taeng let out a heavy breath as he sat next to Jessica.

 

“I know. How’s you and Yul? Doing good?”

 

“Doing fine actually. I really like him.”

 

He was supposed to be happy right? But why is it hurting instead? Taeng forced a smile.

 

“And he likes you. It’s awesome.” Jessica turn around facing Taeng.

 

“Thank you Taeng.”

 

Taeng glanced at her as he leans back.

 

“Say no more. Captain Taeng is here to save the day.” Jessica laughing at his lame expression. Taeng is enjoying the time he has with Jessica. Although it will be nice if it was him that Jessica choose. But she choose Yuri and he’s happy for his brother. He pushed himself up and threw the ball at Jessica who happens to caught it on time. She raised both her eyebrows as Taeng took off his jumper leaving him in his black singlet.

 

“The weather is nice and you already leaning how to shoot. How about we play now? I’m eager to beat your .”

 

Jessica threw the ball back at him.

 

“Do you seriously have to take off your jumper to show off?”

 

Taeng playfully flexing his tone arms just to tease Jessica.

 

“Falling for me?”

 

“Not a chance.” Jessica said as she stood up getting ready to play around with Taeng. It will be fun. Taeng saw her determination and smirks.

 

“Game on girl.”