Pain

Twin Souls

“Taeyeon got the ball! Danny call for a time out!” Taeyeon eyes landed upon his coach as he flickering his fingers towards his team signalling them to gather around him. Taeyeon throw the ball away as he moves his tired legs. The reserve players quickly empty the seat; letting the tired players rest while Coach Danny give his team talk. Taeyeon take a bottle of Gatorade and gulp down a quarter portion of it.

 

“Okay team! Listen up! We have 15 seconds to make this count!” Coach Danny raise his tone matching up with the fans cheering voices.

 

“They needed this win as much as we need it! They’re closing down to push us out! David and Santana! I need you two to make a run inside; confuse them. Michael! You play the ball and hold your position! Taeyeon!” Coach Danny eyes darting towards Taeyeon whose attention now on him.

 

“I don’t need a gameplay to tell me how good you are. Find yourself away from their guard and take the 3 point! No extra time! Prove to me how good you are kid!” Taeyeon nodded as his eyes blazing with fire. He wanted this win. They needed the point to keep tailing behind the leader.

 

“Come on, hands in!” Santana calls upon his teammate’s attention. Everyone including the reserve players hold their hands in over laid upon each other as they huddle in.

 

“I, 2, 3, Cavs!” Everyone shouted in unison. Taeyeon punch his chest to lift up his own spirit. His eyes caught onto the girl that can make him smile without effort; Jessica Jung. She gives him a thumbs up. Taeyeon lips tugging into a smile as he get to the sidelines. The official raise one hand signaling the two teams to get ready. He throw the ball at Taeyeon and blow his whistle starting the game. Taeyeon pass the ball to Michael and make his way towards the enemy half line. Michael swiftly dribbling inside. The opposition had already taking their spot around the shooting area without pressuring from front. It gives Michael space and time to dribble and assessing their current situation.

 

’12 seconds.’ Taeyeon whispering to himself as he keeps on running while he keeps his attention towards the enemy position. One guard is still chasing him around. Michael holds the ball as he’s waiting for the right chance. Taeyeon glance to his side and saw Santana coming towards him. He smile a little as he aligning his run towards Santana hoping to catch the guard and distracting him. He just need a couple of seconds. Santana foreseen what Taeyeon is trying to do. He smirks and slightly nodding towards Taeyeon. They did an x crossing completely confusing the two player. Taeyeon finally get the free space that he needed. Michael saw him and did a long throw towards Taeyeon. The enemy guard hiss as he clearly chase after the wrong guy. He did a turnaround and dashing towards Taeyeon as fast as his feet can get him. Taeyeon had already counting his steps and the moment he reach towards him, Taeyeon let the ball fly from behind the 3 point line. The buzzer screams as his ball swiftly get inside the hoops. Taeyeon can’t help but grinning.

 

“73-72! Cavaliers won the game!” The announcer said as Taeyeon teammates running towards him and jump on him. He hit the floor hard but the pain can never over take the feeling of winning as more teammates jumping on top of each other. Taeyeon can feel his chest getting pressure from top but he’s more than willing to let it be. They just won the game.

 

“We won! you Taeyeon!” David, another player shouting at Taeyeon as he ruffling the shorter guy’s hair. Taeyeon can’t stop grinning like an idiot. Coach Danny and the rest of the reserve come towards them and help Taeyeon up before he slap the poor guy on his back.

 

“I knew you’re ing good Taeyeon!” Well, Coach Danny wasn’t one to be subtle with words. He curses when he’s full of emotions and today he’s feeling good; Championship on sight. Taeyeon can only laugh as he hissing in pain. He got a towel thrown at him and he happily sling it around his neck. He looks up and see a lot of home fans cheering for them. He see Jessica waving at him and did a thumbs up. Taeyeon blow her a kiss. It was supposed meant to be for Jessica but the fangirls in front of her thought it was for them as they place their right palm on their head and fake a fainted gesture. Jessica giggles as the scene in front of her is quite amusing. Taeyeon laugh.

 

“Love you.” He mouth at her. He saw her mouthing back the same word. Taeyeon can feel heat warming his cheek. He might be blushing by now but who cares? His fiancée is here and he just won the game. What could have gone wrong?

 

How he wish it is.

 

Taeyeon turns around when he felt someone tapping his back. His smile vanish the moment he see someone on the bleachers stand that is looking directly at him. He ignored his teammates that whom tapping his back earlier.

 

‘Yul?’ Taeyeon face turn pale as his eyes finally focusing on the guy standing but looking at him. He looks like his dead brother.

 

“Taeyeon?” Coach Danny call for his attention, snapping him back to his senses. Taeyeon eyes darting towards his coach for a millisecond before snapping back at the familiar guy. He had already turning his back against him. Taeyeon throw away the towel on his neck as he make his way towards the seating in front of him.

 

“Yul!” Taeyeon shouts as he try to get the stranger attention but the loud noises are making it hard. Not to mention fans that suddenly gathering around him stopping him from getting up the flight of stairs.

 

“Yuri!” He shouts again but it was futile as the stranger walking away leaving Taeyeon surrounded by his fans. Taeyeon panic as he started apologizing towards fans that he slightly pushing away to create room for him to move. He saw the stranger face. It’s his Yuri.

 

“Sorry. Please let me pass. Sorry.” Taeyeon mumbles incoherently as he push his way up not caring if he had hurt anyone in the process. But by the time he’s finally up, the stranger already gone out of the big door. Taeyeon frantically dash towards the big door squeezing himself in between crowds. He must get to him no matter what. Some fans saw Taeyeon pushing through so they help him by creating some space making it easy for him. He finally got out. His eyes wandering as he try to spot the stranger.

 

“No. No. Yuri..” Taeyeon keep on turning hoping to catch him on time. With this sea of humans, it was impossible. Taeyeon blame himself as his back hit the wall. He had his hands on his head as his eyes finally give up searching. His hardly breathing through the anxiety. Taeyeon exhale as his hands landed on his knee cap; his body leaning forward.

 

“Damn it.” He curses himself for playing tricks on his eyes.

 

“He’s dead Taeyeon. He’s ing dead.” Taeyeon reminding himself as he’s ignoring people staring at him wondering what’s going on. He might look mental like this. But Taeyeon care nothing over his condition by now. He close his eyes as he try calming down his erratically beating heart. This wasn’t the first time his eyes playing tricks on him. The constant longing for Yuri is eating him inside that every stranger he saw somehow is Yuri. It’s taking a toll on his emotions and his ability to stay calm.

 

He’s like a broken mirror; beyond repair.

 

……

 

Taeyeon slam the door behind him as he put away his duffle bag. Jessica watch as Taeyeon keep his gaze on the floor like a lifeless human as he make his way towards their bedroom. She witness everything that happen after the game when Taeyeon suddenly running towards the bleachers stand. She didn’t have to ask to know whom was his cashing around. He said it was his eyes playing tricks on him but she knew better. She thought it is what he had claimed but after she saw Kim Yuri a week ago, Jessica didn’t know what to believe anymore. Maybe what Taeyeon see is actually Yuri. The different Yuri. Jessica didn’t tell her meeting with Yuri in the hospital at Taeyeon because of this. Taeyeon had been in the dark ever since Yuri left the world. It took her time and a lot of feelings involve to actually pulling him out of the darkness and back into the light. What if seeing Yuri might bring him back to the never ending darkness? Jessica is scared. She’s scared of the outcome.

 

‘Taeyeon…’

 

Jessica wipe away her tears that running down her cheek. It is hard to keep her emotions in cheek when she needed it. Often she will break down just upon Yuri’s name mention in the past. She’s confuse. If only she knows. Jessica put away her coat as she gently pushing the door and walking in. The sight of Taeyeon on the bed hugging his knees while staring at the wall is something she had encountered way too many times. But today it is heart breaking when she saw his cheek wet with his tears. Her strong Kim Taeyeon broke down.

 

“Taeyeon.” Jessica whispering as she get on the bed and hugging him from the side. She let her head rest on his shoulder. Taeyeon didn’t bother wiping away his tears as he knew that Jessica understand why he need to let it out. They didn’t speak a word afraid that the first word they said might be stirring up the painful past. But Taeyeon ways of handling the past is by telling what he feels in present.

 

“I saw him again today.” He uttered as he feels Jessica tightening her arms around him. More tears running down.

 

“I missed him so much.” Taeyeon sobs into his knee as the painful memory of the devastating night invading his mind. He couldn’t even get to say his final goodbye and Yuri was gone. Jessica plant a soft kiss on the nape of his neck hoping to tell him that she’s here for him. Always.

 

“I missed him too. Tae, we can’t keep on doing this.” Jessica sadly said. They have been dwelling with this emotions for far too long that it’s hurting them more than they should. It was not their fault that Yuri died. It was a drunken guy who killed him. Why are they the one feeling guilty? Yuri wouldn’t want that.

 

“We need to move on. For Yuri’s sake. Please Taeyeon.” Jessica pleaded as she tightening her hold onto the guy. Taeyeon has never been the same ever since Yuri died. Yuri was his twin and when he left, he took half of his soul with him.

 

“Sica, I’m sorry.” Taeyeon sounded so down that it hurts Jessica to hear him asking for forgiveness over and over again. She pulls away and cups his face turning him towards her. His tears didn’t stop just like hers. Taeyeon break down as he cries hard as soon as Jessica pulling him towards her. He cried on her shoulder just like in the past.

 

“I’m so sorry. If only I…” Taeyeon sobs hard as it’s getting hard to speak. He wish he can turns time again and go back to the fateful night. He wish it was him who died. He wish it was Yuri who live and probably be happy with Jessica. Yuri had never been so happy before Jessica arrive. He took his smile away. He took his happiness away. He blamed himself for his death. Jessica feels his arms tightening around her waist as he cry hard on her shoulder. She just hold him in her arms and bite the bottom of her lips preventing him from listening to her sobs. At time like this, one of them has to be strong for the other. It is a promise the made to each other.

 

“…it was never our fault Taeyeon. It was never ours. Yuri would understand.” Jessica chanted next to his ear with hope that he’ll be back to his senses and realized that no matter what he said or did, Yuri is not coming back.

 

…..

 

“Please don’t send me again when we have another meeting with that snake.” Yuri huffing in all tiredness as he flops down on the empty couch. Sejoung raise an eyebrow before breaking into a wide grin.

 

“Sean Dean?”

 

“Who else? That snaky snake. He need to start minding his own business rather than worrying about me doing my job which….” Yuri gives Sejoung a look and continue.

 

“..I’m doing well at the moment.” Sejoung can only shaking his head as his brother whining and fussing about Sean Dean. Well other than being creepy, Dean is actually a prick. He waltz himself into others problem without even noticing that his men are making more mistake daily.

 

“I trust you Yul. Plus dad like how you handle the work. It’s highly recommended.”

 

Yuri just shrugging his shoulder as he resting his right arm on his forehead; taking a few minutes nap is on his mind. Sejoung is debating with himself either he should probe over his conversation with Sunny a week ago. He’s worried for Yuri.

 

“Hey, Yul?” Yuri didn’t answer so Sejoung left his desk and sit down in facing his brother on the couch. He lightly tapping his leg signaling him to make space. Yuri pull his leg over as Sejoung sit down.

 

“Do you have anything to tell me?” Sejoung carefully asked. He can’t asking him directly since he might give away himself. This conversation is going to be hard. Yuri looking at his brother from behind his arm looking confused.

 

“No. Why?”

 

Sejoung rub the back of his neck as he’s finding it hard to form sentences.

 

“Uh, I’m just asking. Sunny…”

 

Yuri groans as he push himself up and sit down properly but avoiding looking at Sejoung.

 

“What did Sunny told you? I swear other than being your girlfriend, she’s being a spy too.”

 

“Hey, she’s worried. Just like I am. Want to share with me?” Sejoung try again at the same time defending Sunny’s action.

 

“She’s on the bottom of my bestfriend list right now.”

 

“Like I said. We’re all worried about you. Give her a break Yul.”

 

Yuri didn’t say anything but Sejoung know him and he knows his brother is currently thinking over his options. So he waits. Yuri is the type that you can’t force him. The more you force him, he’ll be more likely to distance himself. So let him assess his options. Sejoung watch as Yuri exhale and sit straight.

 

“I met a doctor. Her name is Jessica. You know what’s funny about her? She cried the moment she saw me. She even said my name. It feels like she knows me. Sej..” Yuri turn his body around facing his brother.

 

“..I’ve been thinking. What if Jessica is a part of that memory I lost? You know like my friend back in school?”

 

“That is not possible Yul. You’re only in school during your senior year. We both were home schooled.”

 

“I know but what if in that few months, I actually had a great memory of school. That is actually possible.” Yuri defending his opinion. Sejoung remain calm although deep inside he knew he just screw up. He push himself up and get back to his desk. Yuri frowns. Everytime they talk about his memory before the accident, Sejoung seems to be avoiding it. He wasn’t just reluctant on discussing, but the topic itself is making his brother uncomfortable.

 

“Sejoung.” He calls his name hoping that his brother would say anything. Sejoung knuckles tighten as he keep his straight face.

 

“Bro. I told you everything I know. Why would I, your own family hiding things from you?” Yuri feels bad now. He didn’t mean to question Sejoung or his dad but sometimes, he can feel emptiness in his heart and his mind. He’s restless. Yuri shaking his head as he stands up.

 

“I’m sorry Sej. I don’t know what I think when I said that. Sorry bro. I’ll go back to my office. See you tonight.” Yuri bid his brother goodbye as he didn’t want to probe further. Maybe the idea of searching for that forgotten memory is something he shouldn’t have done. It’s only going to hurt his family and he didn’t want that. His family is his everything. They were there for him when he was bed ridden. Sejoung was there for him as he took his first step after months of recovery. He’s grateful. It just that there’s a nagging feeling in him. He wanted to know what actually happen before he lost his memory. Yuri put away his binder and slump on his chair as he resting his back against it.

 

“Kwon Yuri. Kim Yuri. Kim. Kwon. Who the hell am I?”

 

…..

 

Yuri nervously glancing around the ER as his hands holding onto a bouquet of flower. He has been here for half an hour already but he still couldn’t see the doctor. She might be super busy considering he got shoved away by a few staffs. Everyone seems to be working in a fast pace so he didn’t actually blaming them.

 

“Where is she?” Yuri strain his neck as he’s on his toe looking around the sea of people. But like fate is on his side, Jessica coming around the corner into the long hall. He grins as he slipping through the crowds making his way towards her. Jessica is currently busy reading on a patient chart. He can’t help but smile like an idiot as he finds her serious expression is quite cute. Yuri silently counts as Jessica unconsciously walking towards him. But to Yuri’s horror, Jessica take a left turn and entering the staffs lounge. He mentally scoffs at his luck. Yuri pucker his bottom lips as he glancing around. Everyone are still busy. So no one might notice him inside the staff area. Yuri plan is so childlike but he’s determine to get inside. Yuri quickly entering the lounge and mentally praise his luck once again because the lounge is almost empty. He sees Jessica sitting down while eyes still on the charts. He walk towards her and place the flowers near Jessica. The doctor saw it and look up only to see Yuri smiling sheepishly; the way she remembered it.

 

“Hi. I seriously not stalking you. I was just around the corner and I thought of paying you a visit and uh, maybe we could grab some donuts outside?” Yuri blurts out non stop. Jessica frown was gone and replace with a smile; he swear she looks even more beautiful smiling like that.

 

“Yuri.”

 

“Heeee…So? Donuts?”

 

Yuri didn’t come to see her for a week and in that one week, she had convinced herself that this Yuri is not the same Yuri. Her Yuri is timid and shy. But this Yuri is the opposite of her Yuri. Maybe god had something plan for her as he let her meet this Yuri instead. Maybe.

 

“If you’re buying then why not.” Yuri pump fist celebrating his first successful attempt. Jessica chuckle as the tan guy take her notes away and hold out his flowers towards her. Jessica take the bouquet as Yuri shoving all her notes in his blazer pocket.

 

“Krispy Kreme?” Yuri asked as they walk side by side towards the exit door.

 

“Sure. Anything for my empty stomach.”

 

“You didn’t had lunch yet?” Yuri question as they make their ways towards the store across the road.

 

“We’re extremely crowded today. I had 4 bleed out case just in the morning.”

 

Yuri nodding as he push the door open and let Jessica in as he following suit from behind. Jessica take a seat next to the big window while Yuri gone to the counter to buy some donuts. She had no preference on donuts so she’s okay with it. He’s finally back with 4 pieces of donuts; a cup of drinks which gain her interest. Yuri saw her gawking on the drink. He push towards her.

 

“Mocha for you.”

 

“How did you know I need a mocha now?” Jessica is eager to hear his answer as Yuri lips tugging into a naughty grin. He leans forward.

 

“Secret.”

 

“Stingy.”

 

Yuri pretends not to hear that as he take a big bite from his donut. Jessica take one as she savoring the sweet taste.

 

“I don’t know if you would believe me or not but I bought that mocha through instinct. My heart told me that you might be needing one.” Yuri innocently said stopping Jessica from munching on her donut. She eyed the tan guy as he finishing his donut and flash her a smile.

 

“That is not my pick up line in case you thought it is.”

 

“I was just about to say cliché.”

 

Yuri laugh as Jessica munch her donut and sipping her mocha in between. Yuri is finish with his second donut. He leans near to Jessica startling the poor doctor. Jessica froze when Yuri face is so near to her. He grins.

 

“There’s no crumbs on my mouth right doctor?”

 

“N-No..” Jessica stutters as Yuri pull away. How Jessica wish she can wipe that grin off him.

 

“Jess, you don’t mind I’m calling you Jess right?”

 

“Most of my friends call me Jess, Yuri. So it’s okay.” Yuri frowns. Jessica wondered why his expression change. Yuri cross his arms as he pouts like a little child.

 

“I don’t want to be most of your friends.” Yuri rack his brain trying to come up with a decent name. He’s determine not to be some of her friends or most of them. An idea pop and he likes it.

 

“Jess is a common name. I’m calling you Sica. There’s no weird guy other than me calling you with that name.”

 

Sica. It brings back memory as Jessica watch Yuri keep on talking. Why does he have to resemblance someone that she loved so dearly in the past? Why can’t he be another person instead?

 

“Sica?” Jessica comes back to her senses as Yuri flick his finger in front of her face. She’d daydreaming of Yuri and the memories they had shared together. It hurts.

 

“Aii, did you space out? Sica is a good name right? I’m a genius.” Yuri proudly said with that smug expression plastered on his face. She force a smile.

 

“Actually Yul, you’re not the first to call me with that name.”

 

Yuri take Jessica’s half eaten donuts and ready to shove it down his throat.

 

“My fiancée call me Sica too.”

 

Thud. That is how loud he heard the donut make contact with the surface of the table. Yuri jaws hanging open as he staring at Jessica.

 

“F-Fiancée?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Holy molly. Darn it.