My Only Friend

Twin Souls

“Taeng! Taeng! Taeng!”

 

Cheers from the home supporters echoed inside the hall when the school commentator, Park Gyuri announce the last member of The Red Tigers Seoul High basketball team captain, Kwon Taeng. Taeng smirked and ran to centre stage. He stood there and looked around. Cheers erupted even more making him swell in pride. He then was joined by his teammates. They were standing there facing the school principal and teachers with bleachers behind the school management cheering more for them.

 

“Now for Principal Lee opening speech.”

 

Gyuri announced and Principal Lee took his place. Taeng didn’t pay any attention towards him but his eyes were scanning around. He was looking for his twin brother, Yuri. Yuri had promised him last night that he would come and cheer for him. So he wanted to make sure that Yuri didn’t broke his promise. Then he spotted him on the far corner of the bleachers waving at him. Taeng grinned but then his eyes spotted on a girl seating next to Yuri. He never seen her before. Taeng nudged on Wooyoung next to him.

 

“Who’s the girl seating next to my twin?”

 

Wooyoung looked up.

 

“Ah, Jung Jessica.  A new transferee. Why?”

 

“How come I didn’t know?”

 

“I don’t know. Didn’t Yuri told you about her?”

 

Taeng frowned with Wooyoung not interested tone. But then he was right too. Why Yuri didn’t told him about her. She’s beautiful.

 

“Don’t tell me you’re interested with her Taeng.”

 

“Why not? She’s beautiful.”

 

“Well for a start, she’s not a part of our gang. You can’t go after her.”

 

Taeng frowned even more.

 

“She’s not yet a part of our gang. I’m sure she will soon.”

 

“Why are you so sure about it? Plus she’s your twin friend. That berated her position down the hierarchy Taeng.”

 

Taeng didn’t like what Wooyoung just said. No one talk bad about Yuri to him. He turned around and the moment Wooyoung eyes met his, he felt Taeng’s anger rising. Cursed him for dragging Yuri in this.

 

“I told you not to treat my twin like crap Wooyoung.”

 

“Dude, chill. I was just joking.”

 

“You can joke about anything else but not about Yul. If I heard it from you ever again, don’t tell me I didn’t warn you.”

 

Wooyoung took a step back. He can fight back but everyone knew about Taeng temper issue. He’s not one to back away easily. Wooyoung raised his hands up in defeat.

 

“Chill up. I know that.”

 

“You better or else.”

 

Thankfully, Principal Lee speeches ended at the same time and broke away Taeng intense glaring at Wooyoung. Taeng never like it when other students look down on Yuri. Yeah his twin can be boring at times but that don’t give them any excuses on hurting Yuri. Yuri had enough against him and Taeng made sure that in school he can protected him. After all, Yuri had never stopped supporting and cheering for him all these years. Just like now. Taeng can even see him still waving at him.

 

‘Yah dorky Yul!’

 

Taeng chuckled over his twins’ reaction. One that he needs all the time. That’s his love for Yul.

 

….

 

“I thought you don’t like getting into crowd Yul?”

 

Jessica was curious on why Yuri was so eager on getting to the basketball get to know team event. She might just knew him for 3 days but she was sure he didn’t like going into crowded area. Yuri grinned at her.

 

“I have to go. Taeng is there.”

 

“Taeng? Your twin brother?”

 

He gave a quick nodded. Jessica found it cute when he does that. How come no one ever realised how cute Yuri is at times? The girls in this school probably blind not to see this.

 

“Taeng is our school basketball team captain. I’ll introduce you two later, okay?”

 

Jessica wasn’t sure about it but she agreed nonetheless. Yuri sounded happy about it and she’s not going to burst his happy bubble. So she grabbed hold of his hand. Yuri immediately stopped on his track and looked down on their intertwined hands before back up to her face. Jessica just smile.

 

“Well, lead the way. I don’t want to get lost in the crowd.”

 

Yuri blushed. Jessica noticed it. She’s good at reading people and the first time she met Yuri, she knew instantly how Yuri isolated himself away from other people. She have no idea what was the cause of it but she felt like she should befriend him. That way Yuri might get comfortable and opened up. Just like now. He didn’t pulled away and for Jessica, it is a good sign.

 

“O-Okay. But you have to stay close to me.”

 

“Deal. Now move. We don’t want to be late right?”

 

Yuri nodded again and started leading them. They entered the gym hall and it seems most of the seat were already occupied. Students definitely eager to be here. Jessica just shrugged it off when she saw some people glanced towards her and Yuri. She spotted a vacant seat just in the middle. It was a great placed since it’s kind of in the centre of the crowds.

 

“Yul, there.”

 

She pointed towards the vacant seats but Yuri smiling face immediately vanished and replaced by nervousness.

 

“I-I don’t t-think I should be there.”

 

“Why not? It’s vacant.”

 

Yuri looked down on the floor and shook his head.

 

“If you want, you can go. I’ll just go there at the corner.”

 

Jessica looked behind him and spotted 2 empty seats at the far corner. Yuri would never get to see the full view of the whole event if they seated there.

 

“Yuri, I don’t think Taeng can see you.”

 

“I know but Sica, I’m used to it.”

 

Yuri had made it clear that he had a hard time pronouncing Jessica full name so she let him called her Sica instead of Jessica or Jessi. She frowned. She looked down at the middle seat again.

 

“We’re going there and it’s final.”

 

Jessica pulled him but Yuri stood rooted on the floor. He shook his head and looked back at Jessica. He was silently pleading at her with his eyes and it made her felt worse about it. She shouldn’t have forced him. With a defeated sigh, she answered.

 

“Fine. Let’s go there.”

 

Yuri face instantly brightened up. Jessica let him pulled her to far corner and took a seat. Once they settled down, she noticed how happy Yuri is.

 

“You really support Taeng huh?”

 

Yuri glanced at her and smile.

 

“I’m his no 1 fan!”

 

That earned a laughter from Jessica. Yup, he is cute when he’s enjoying himself.

 

“So Taeng couldn’t have done it without you?”

 

Yuri shook his head and looked up front.

 

“No, I couldn’t have done it without him.”

 

Jessica can feel a tinged of sadness in his voice. Maybe she can get to know Yuri even more right now.

 

“I’m sure you had your own specialty Yuri.”

 

“No. I’m nobody. But I’m fine with it. I’m used to it.”

 

I’m used to it. How many times had she heard him using that one sentence? Yuri continued.

 

“But not Taeng. My parents are proud of him. Teachers too. Students want to be like him. Did you know he had college lining up to sign him? He even excel in class. He’s perfect and girls like him so much. We already had 3 different basketball scholarship program offers letter at home for him. I’m here because all the things he had did in the past until now. I won’t be here if it wasn’t because of him. So yeah I couldn’t have done it without him.”

 

Yuri was sincere and she felt it. He must have been so proud of Taeng. She had never heard any siblings talking about their brother like Yuri did. She envied Taeng for having a twin like Yuri. Always there for him and not even a single hint of jealousy. Jessica patted his back.

 

“I’m sure Taeng did it for you too.”

 

Yuri replied with a wide smile.

 

“He’s my only friend, Sica.”

 

Jessica grab his arm and wrapped her arms around his. Yuri instantly blushed again.

 

“Well, now you have two friends.”

 

“We’re friends?”

 

“You’re stuck with me Yul.”

 

Yuri grinned and before he can say thank you, the event started. MC Park Gyuri announced and introduce all members. Yuri kept his eyes on centre court waiting for Taeng name announced. Jessica found it amusing how Yuri was so eager on seeing his twin down below. She can’t helped but smile even more when Taeng name was announced and Yuri was waving so much. She saw Taeng looking around and when he spotted Yuri, he was smiling so much.

 

“I’m envy of the two of you. You look so close.”

 

“We are. But hey I told you I’m going introduce the two of you later on.”

 

Jessica playfully pouted.

 

“Yah, are you selling me to your brother?”

 

Yuri eyes widen. He quickly cuts in.

 

“No! I mean I want…I..”

 

Great he thought. He couldn’t even reply with a decent answer. Jessica smirks and playfully nudged him on the shoulder.

 

“I was joking Yul.”

 

Yuri eyes sparkled in hope.

 

“Really?”

 

“Don’t take it seriously.”

 

Yuri breathed in relief and his warm smile became evident once again. He couldn’t take his eyes off Jessica even when the girl was already watching the cheerleaders’ performance down below. He can’t helped but mentally pat himself on the back for still having a friend even after 2 days. It was a personal record.

 

‘Thank you Sica.’

 

…..

 

Taeng stood by his car with his back leaning on his driver side. He was waiting for Yuri and he would made sure that his younger brother would not walked back home again. He did it yesterday but Taeng won’t let him did the same today. He looked at his wrist watch and frowned.

 

“Where is that tan monkey? I’m so going to pull a prank on you tonight for being late.”

 

Sometimes Taeng wonder what did Yuri had eaten when they were small and made his skin a bit tan than him? He had a fair white skin but Yuri skin was a bit tan. But then maybe he followed their father skin tone. Probably too. He was so deep in thoughts when one of the cheer leaders broke her trance of thoughts.

 

“Hi Taeng.”

 

Taeng straightened his back and smile at the girl.

 

“Oh hi Sunmi.”

 

“I thought you’re gone home already.”

 

“Nah, I’m waiting for Yul. You?”

 

Sunmi almost cringed the moment she heard Yuri’s name came out of Taeng mouth. But everyone in school knew how pissed off Taeng is if anyone speak ill about his younger twin.

 

“Oh him. I thought of getting a ride from Taecyeon but he had another plan.”

 

Sunmi mentally pleaded that Taeng would get her hint. Taeng looked at her and almost rolled his eyes. He got her meaning but he promised Yuri that they’re going to be having dinner at downtown mall since their parents are outstation.

 

“Really? I think Wooyoung hadn’t left yet. You should take a ride with him.”

 

“He’s gone home. I have no other way back home. Can you sent me home Taeng? Please?”

 

She clasped her hands together and flashed him her puppy eyes hoping Taeng would understand. Taeng was about to say no when Yuri greeted both of them. He had no idea when Yuri got here.

 

“Hi S-Sunmi.”

 

Yuri as always would avoid looking at Sunmi but greeted her anyway. Taeng quickly cuts in.

 

“Well, Yul is here. You can try riding bus Sunmi.”

 

Sunmi won’t let Taeng shoved her away like that. So she turned towards Yuri.

 

“Yul, you wouldn’t mind if Taeng sent me home right? It’s getting dark and I don’t think I can go home alone.”

 

Yuri looked up towards Sunmi and then back at Taeng who is probably hinting at him not to give in and then back at Sunmi. Taeng was praying so hard that Yuri would say no. Yuri pondered for a moment. Taeng’s car is a 2 seated car and there’s no way he can have 2 passengers. If he said no then Sunmi would have to walk home in the dark. If this was another person, Sunmi would have to settle with walking. But she knew how to play her card well especially against Yuri.

 

“Taeng should sent you home.”

 

Taeng mentally cursed himself when Yuri said that. Sunmi cheerfully said thanks to Yuri and linked her arms around Taeng’s. Taeng scoffed. Yuri knew Taeng definitely is angry with him but he won’t let Sunmi walked by herself home. It’s dangerous.

 

“I’ll see you at home Taeng. Have a nice journey home Sunmi.”

 

Yuri didn’t wait and quickly left the parking lot. From school to home would definitely took him 25 minutes of walking. There are buses but none gone to their suburban after 6 and Yuri just have to settle with walking.

 

“You made a right decision Yul. It’s dangerous for Sunmi.”

 

This the things about Yuri that Taeng despise. He let people had their ways with him. Their father wanted to buy him a car just like Taeng’s but Yuri didn’t want it. He didn’t say it why but Taeng knew he thought he didn’t deserve having a car when he didn’t do anything for their family. When will Yuri realized that he’s a part of the family and he deserved everything?

 

“It’s okay. I’m used to it.”

 

Yuri had walked for 5 minutes when he received a text. He took out his phone from his jeans pocket. It was from Taeng.

 

I’m so going to pull a prank on you tonight!

 

Yuri had a small laughed. He was about to reply when a honk from behind stopped him from walking. He turned around and saw a white car stopping near him. The door window was down and he saw Jessica looking back at him.

 

“Sica?”

 

“What are you doing walking alone Yul? I thought you said you’re riding with Taeng?”

 

Yuri scratched his side neck.

 

“Sunmi had no one to send her home so I asked Taeyeon instead.”

 

Jessica felt like yelling at Yuri. She might be knew but after just being friends with Yuri in two days, she noticed how Yuri always let other people took advantage of him. She somehow had an idea that this Sunmi might have did the same.

 

“Get in, I’ll send you home.”

 

Yuri quickly shook his head.

 

“No No. I can walk home. It’s okay Sica. I’m…”

 

“Used to it. I know Yul but get in or I’ll shoved you inside myself.”

 

Jessica was practically sending icy cold glares at him. He’s terrified. So without even arguing anymore, he got into Jessica’s car and closed the door. Jessica looked at him.

 

“Now tell me where your house is?”

 

“D-down the block just near to the open basketball court.”

 

Jessica thought for a while and then she remembered how to get there. Yuri fidgeting on his seat.

 

“Are you sure about this Sica? I don’t want to cause you troubles.”

 

“I live near your house. So we’re on the same route.”

 

Yuri heaved in relief upon knowing it. At least he didn’t troubled her so much. The drive was silent but Yuri and Jessica enjoyed it. It was a comforting silence to be honest. After another turned, the finally reach his house and Jessica can’t helped but felt amazed by it. It was a big house and the exterior design was nice.

 

“You have a nice house Yul.”

 

“My mom is the architect and my dad is the engineer that built it.”

 

Jessica looked at him and saw him looking so proud of it. She can’t helped buts smile at him. Yuri is one hell of a unique guy.

 

“Sica?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Thank you for the ride.”

 

Yuri was smiling so wide and Jessica can’t helped it but peck his cheek. His face immediately flushed in bright red. Jessica ignored his blushing face.

 

“See you at school tomorrow, Yuri.”

 

“Y-Yeah..”