Chapter 9

Delaying the Inevitable

“Cheers!” All the members, and Shin Hye and Dong Wook, shouted as they clinked their glasses of soju*, although Jong Kook just clinked his glass of water despite pleads from the rest of the cast that one shot wouldn’t even take one day off the 1000 years that he would live. Jae Suk, like most of the time, was the first to notice Jong Kook’s downtrodden mood as he sipped his water pitifully.

“Yah, Kook Jong – ah*. What’s with the long face?”

“Yeah hyung, you haven’t been hitting me since lunch.” Kwang Soo noted as he put a ssam* in his mouth, deeply enjoying the taste of meat in his mouth.

“Do you want me to?” Jong Kook spat out to which Kwang Soo shook his head, regretting what he said.

“Yah don’t take it out on Kwang Soo. He hasn’t done anything wrong.” Suk Jin lightly scolded. Being the eldest in the group, it almost became inevitable that he had to keep the peace between all the members when they fought. He stopped things when they got too far and helped to reconcile members when needed.

“I’ve screwed up hyung.” Jong Kook spoke, shocking all the members as Jong Kook was one to keep his emotions in check and the one to listen to concerns and give advice. Thus, in the rare instances when it was Jong Kook telling his concerns, they were naturally worried.

“What did you do?” Gary mused as he ate.

“I screwed things up with Ji Hyo.”

“How?”

“I said something that I probably shouldn’t have.”

“Just a little.” Dong Wook muttered under his breath, causing all the men to turn around and to face him. Jong Kook, who was sitting two seats away from him, didn’t and instead let his head droop low. It wasn’t that he hated Jong Kook, if anything Dong Wook could learn a lot from him about a lot of things, but it was the fact that Jong Kook had hurt Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo was one of his best friends and he hated the fact that he could do nothing to alleviate her heartache.

“What do you mean?” Haha asked, starting to get protective over someone who was like a little sister to him.

“She told me that hyung said that he’d never go out with her.” This was met with a chorus of “what?” and “what were you thinking?” from the members who looked at Jong Kook as if he’d grown three heads and suddenly had three eyes. Jong Kook put his head down more as his shame grew.

“I know what I did wrong ok? You don’t need to keep reminding me, I feel bad enough as it is.” Jong Kook muttered.

“What she feels now is probably 10 times worse than what you feel.” Kwang Soo pointed out in anger. His noona was someone whom he treasured after getting to know her well from filming Running Man together and was someone whom he could tell all his worries to. He remembered the times when she used to call him, drunk mind you, crying that her love for Jong Kook would never happen and that she’d die alone. She’d ask to meet him between filming and they walked the Han River*, with Kwang Soo convincing Ji Hyo that she did fit into Running Man despite being the only woman. The time when they met for lunch was when Ji Hyo first confessed to Kwang Soo of her crush on Jong Kook to which Kwang Soo just smiled a knowing smile, stating that it was obvious (of course he left out he bit that the other members already had a chat room by then). Equally, Kwang Soo had confessed how he had, much against Jong Kook’s advice but listening to Jae Suk’s, got humiliatingly rejected from his crush and so the two talked, and bonded more some would argue, over their failed love lives.

“I know. I don’t know what to do though? I highly doubt that a simple sorry will fix it.” Jong Kook grumbled.

“Sitting here complaining about it won’t change anything.” Dong Wook interjected.

“Why are you so aggrevated hyung? You don’t like noona do you?” Kwang Soo asked causing Dong Wook to laugh which got on Jong Kook’s nerves.

“Do you?” Jong Kook asked, gritting his teeth.

“It’s cute how you’re jealous. Ji Hyo would love it.” Dong Wook chuckled, much to annoyance of Jong Kook. “But the fact that you just asked if I liked Ji Hyo has me in disgust – she’s like my sister so to even fathom thinking that is gross.” Dong Wook reassured him, shuddering to prove it.

“Then why are you acting like this?” Jong Kook asked.

“She’s my best friend and like a sister to me. She’s told me what she’s gone through and I guess I’m just playing the protective brother. She’s always put others before herself and to see someone make her this happy is a first and the fact that you’ve screwed this up is annoying.” Dong Wook shrugged as if it meant nothing yet it meant everything to Jong Kook because Dong Wook had admitted that he made Ji Hyo happy and that meant everything to him – of course her own friends, family and her work would make her happy but the fact that it was him that made her really happy was something that he couldn’t have imagined.

“I make her happy?” Jong Kook asked in disbelief, wanting to hear it again so that he could confirm that he wasn’t dreaming.

“Loads. You must be really blind not to see how her smiles reach her ear, how she gets jealous when you’re with other women, how she gets worried that you’ll injure your back more, how she massages you because she knows that she can’t help you in any other way, how she marvels everything that you do even when it’s really not that amazing, how she becomes the biggest fan when Turbo music is played, how she-“

“Please stop, it’s making my skin crawl.” Kwang Soo stopped Dong Wook. As much as he loved to see his noona happy, he could do without the expressions of love when he trying to eat.

“Point is you make her happy Kook Jong – ah.” Suk Jin noted.

“It’s true. She’s messaged me often saying how she feels uncomfortable shooting the Monday Couple when she likes someone else. She didn’t mention you directly but it’s obvious.” Gary interjected. “And in all honesty it’s uncomfortable for me as well hyung.” Gary scratched his neck in awkwardness. When he first joined the show in 2010, the Monday Couple was one of the highlights but as the years went on, his love for Ji Hyo only became platonic. He was grateful that his relationship with Ji Hyo was well received but he also just saw Ji Hyo as a younger sister and a special friend – a friend that wasn’t a boyfriend but special enough to not be just a friend.

“No need to feel bad hyung. It’s what the viewers want so just think of it as acting. Plus it seems to have died down a bit nowadays.” Ha Ha patted his hyung’s back as he began to pour some more water.

“Ha Ha’s right. Don’t feel bad about it Gary – ah. It’ll be less awkward for you when Jong Kook actually makes it official with her.”

“As long as he doesn’t sing “One Man” it’ll be fine.” Kwang Soo snickered, earning laughter from the other members.

“Yah! Some women like that!” Jong Kook protested.

“Ji Hyo wouldn’t.” Jae Suk deadpanned, laughing at Jong Kook’s worried reaction.

“Stop scaring the guy.” Suk Jin chuckled.

“Just do it from the heart then she’ll accept it.” Ha Ha advised, “Even that worked for Suk Jin hyung and he’s married.”

“Yah!”

“Just do what you want, not what you think she wants. At this moment in time, she just wants you to be there for her.” Shin Hye spoke for the first time, earning looks from the rest of the members. “Some woman will like the whole show but Ji Hyo – unni doesn’t strike me as that type. She strikes me as the type that will just like a sincere confession – whether it’s quiet or whether it’s with songs doesn’t actually matter. What actually matters is if the girl feels your sincerity or not.”

“When is the problem now.” Jong Kook muttered.

“Just don’t wait to when you’re ready otherwise that time will never come.” Suk Jin spoke, giving his advice to his younger brother. “It’s like a proposal – the man will never feel that it’s the right time to propose yet he’ll get a feeling.”

“Thanks. I’m going to head home – work out session tomorrow morning.” Jong Kook excused himself and went to his car. Gap Jin had left beforehand as he had to attend an emergency but had left the car and the keys with Jong Kook. Jong Kook drove home with a messy head which was full of ideas but with a smile on his face.

Meanwhile, Kwang Soo was left feeling confused, which didn’t go amiss from Ha Ha.

“What’s wrong Kwang Soo – yah?” He asked.

“Hyung told me that he was going to stay at home and write lyrics tomorrow. But he said that he’d work out.”

“He isn’t…” Jae Suk trailed off.

“Isn’t what?” Suk Jin asked, curious.

“I think that Jong Kook might confess soon.”

“About time.” Ha Ha noted, happy for his hyung, with all the members chorusing in agreement. In all the years that he had known Jong Kook, he had never seen Jong Kook so happy. After all his hardships that he had gone through with Turbo, Ha Ha thought that if anyone deserved happiness, it was Jong Kook. Despite his tough image that was presented in the how, Jong Kook actually had a warm heart which was shown through his caring nature of those he cared about. Jong Kook had helped Ha Ha a lot when he had just gotten married and more so when his son, Dream, was born during the sleepless nights and when he had gotten into arguments with his wife. Gary had also told him the times when Jong Kook had helped to move all his stuff when he had moved recording studios and when he had agonised over the release of his newest songs. Ha Ha witnessed Jong Kook’s caring nature especially for Ji Hyo, albeit subtle. The fact that he’d be her rock when she was struggling both emotionally and mentally, how he’d hug and console her when celebrity life got too much for her, how he’d be the one that she’d count on despite his flaws and mistakes that she made. Of course there was more that he did for her, he’d even move the stars for her if he had the power to, but Jong Kook did everything more for Ji Hyo.

Likewise, Gary noticed that, despite playing the role of the Monday Girlfriend, Ji Hyo cared for Jong Kook a lot more. It didn’t make him jealous, of course he was happy for his muscle hyung, but he had to act it. Her change in character to pure excitement when Turbo was played showed her as a loyal fan, her caring for him by giving her towels when he had gotten wet during water games, how she massaged him in between filming as she knew about Jong Kook’s bad back and how she’d be one of few women that could argue and and get away with it.   

At that time, Jong Kook had reached home and had got dressed and was currently sat down staring at a piece of paper with a pen in his right hand. He was currently planning ideas on how to confess his 7 years worth of feeling to Ji Hyo. Finally, after 45 minutes, he folded the paper and put it in his wallet and smirked, content with himself, before heading to bed.

 

-----------------------

Word Count - 2008

A/N – Soju – a popular alcoholic drink in South Korea (alcohol percentage ranges from 18 – 45%)

Kook Jong – a nickname for Jong Kook from Jae Suk. It is a reverse of Jong Kook’s name and also, “Kook” sounds similar to muscle in Korean so can be seen as “Muscle Kook”, referring to his muscles.

Ssam – a wrap normally consisting of wrapping some meat and normally other side dishes such as kimchi, garlic etc with some leafy vegetables.

Han River – a major river which runs through Seoul. It’s a common place for dates between couples but is also a place for loads of activities such as sports, picnics or just walking past it.

 

I smell a confession soon!! Or will I? :P

Anyway, hope you’ve been well Runners! And had a good holiday – whichever you observed – and continue to.

I watched the SBS Entertainment Awards this year (Stupidly by the way) and can’t help feeling disappointed with SBS (no more than usual). After issuing an official apology during the show that was broadcasted the same day as the awards show, you’d think that they could at least compensate the Running Man after 7 years of working together? But no, you only give it to Kwang Soo (no hate towards him – I love him really) but ignore the other 8 (yes I’m including Gary, Joong Ki and Lizzy) members who have equally worked hard. You could at least acknowledge that at the awards show as one of SBS’s longest running programmes with a great fanbase both domestically and internationally. And by taking away the award that Running Man never fail to get – Viewer’s Choice – is ridiculous and a testament to their popularity. Anyway, what happened happened so no point in being angry. But congratulations to Kwang Soo (his speech made me cry so bad) and it was nice to see the whole cast enjoying themselves. (Although, it seems that Ji Hyo got the worst and is still affected by the whole incident – her eyes don’t seem to radiate as much nor does her smile – but I’m confident that she’ll get better with time with her family (both biological and Running Man) and close friends supporting her. The only thing that we can do as fans is support her in anything new that happens after Running Man finishes.