Chapter 32

Delaying the Inevitable

“Kwang Soo – yah?” The shock on both the mens’ faces was a mirror of each other as they stood opposite each other in the thankfully empty corridor , evident by the furrowing of brows and ice like stance they were in to the slightly open mouths. Millions of things were running through Kwang Soo’s head – from how, what, when, why, to things that were more R – rated – but only one thing ran through Jong Kook’s – .

“Isn’t that Ji Hyo noona’s room?”

The silence so that Jong Kook could quickly come up with something that seemed feasible but couldn’t was deafening so much that you coul hear a pin drop. For once it was Jong Kook that avoided the youngers’ eyes, afraid that it would give away the fact that he was trying to come up with something for he knew that despite being younger, Kwang Soo knew him pretty well. He mentally cursed Ji Hyo for the night before for leaving him so tired that he was unable to think at this particular moment in time. Why did she have to be so good?

“Err… We… Urm… Both went to the gym last night and I forgot stuff from my gym bag.” Even Jong Kook winced internally at the poor excuse.

“You gave her your gym bag?”

“I-“

“Hyung… I’m saying this as your younger brother but you at lying. You and noona are too obvious.” Kwang Soo chuckled. Jong Kook checked to see if there was anyone in the hallway before dragging Kwang Soo into his own room.

He sighed. “I guess it was going to come out sometime… We both just wanted to keep it a secret for now.”

“We huh?” The smirk was absolutely unmissable as Kwang Soo dodged the pillow his hyung threw at him. In all fairness, he deserved it. He enjoyed this too much. Yet he was definitely sure that he was going to keep teasing his hyung, no matter the cost.

“I don’t want to screw this up Kwang Soo – yah. It’s enough that we’re-“

“Old?” Kwang Soo interjected earning a stern look from the elder.

“Both conscious about marriage and were really good friends but we’re both more than aware that if we broke up or if this turned out in a bad way that this would affect all of us.” Again, silence. For Kwang Soo this was one of the rare times that he saw his hyung so… vulnurable. And behind all the teasing, Jong Kook was like a real brother, mentor and all round good guy and he hated seeing him so down - the slumped shoulders as he sat on the edge of the bed whislt he ran his hand through his hair. Kwang Soo sighed as he approached to sit next to him.

“Hyung… are you happy?”

“More than ever Kwang Soo – yah.” He smiled. “I don’t know what is is but it feels like the whole has just stopped. Everything around me seems to just explode with happiness and everything that I feel since we were together feels like nothing I ever felt before. I’m so scared to lose her because she brings me so much joy and belief that I can do anything yet I feel so vulnurable with her but I trust her with everything. When I’m with her I wish to be like that forever and when I’m not I miss her like hell and would do anything to have her next to me. Heck I’d even eat loads of fast food if she asked me too. It’s just… her Kwang Soo. It’s her that makes me happy.”

Kwang Soo sighed, hearing a whole monologue from his hyung. He had never seen his hyung fall so deep so quickly and that scared him but he had also never seen him so happy and that supersided any reservations that he initially had. “I didn’t expect a whole monologue but go off I guess… If you truly like her like you say you do then screw what other people think hyung. If you’re happy and noona is then I doubt the other hyungs would mind. Although they might mind if you hurt her.”

“I’ll try not to.”

“I trust you with my life hyung and we all have to remember that you were close to her as well as us, probably even more so for you. Just… be careful with her. She’s been through a lot hyung.”

“I know Kwang Soo – yah.”

“Great. So I suppose this conversation is finished before it gets awkward.”

“Yeah. I’ll see you down at breakfast Kwang Soo – yah. I need to shower.”

“See you hyung!” The cheerful Kwang Soo came back as he made a bee line for the door. The two were close and they shared almost everything together but they were also men and not used to having such deep conversations so the best answer was to escape.

Or so he thought. “Hey Kwang Soo?”

“Yeah hyung?”

“She’s lucky she has all of you but particularly you Kwang Soo. I know that she always said that you helped her to adjust to the show in the beginning and she really appreciates you a lot.”

“I’m lucky as well hyung. She’s like my older sister I never had. So please don’t hurt her… I really don’t want to get into a fight with you only because I don’t fancy my chances.” He chuckled.

“It won’t come to that, I promise.” The elder smiled before the younger nodded as he left, finally allowing him to go have a shower and process what had just happened. And how to tell Ji Hyo.

 

The shower had been exactly what Jong Kook had needed after the morning’s event. He supposed that it was one less thing to worry about, trying to keep it a secret from his youngest dongsaeng, but still remembered that he still had to keep it from his elder hyungs. Despite the bickering on – screen, he truly respected both Suk Jin and Jae Suk and often went to them for advice for things and so naturally, a part of him hated having to hide his relationship from them, but the more rational side of him just knew. He knew that it was a logical thing to do – both him and Ji Hyo had long careers and didn’t want to jeopardise that whilst he also knew that there were some people who wanted to oust anything relating to their relationships. Jong Kook most definitely didn’t want that – he wanted to go public with his relationship on his own accord.

He had got changed and was in the midst of putting on some lotion when he heard his phone go off. Smiling, thinking it was a text from Ji Hyo, he picked it up only to frown when he found that it was a text from Ji Soo, one of his dancers. He shrugged, supposing it was better than some spam.

Hey oppa. I hope your shooting is going ok. It’s not the same without you :( I was wondering if you could help me?

Of course Ji Soo – yah. What did you need?

I’ve been working out and doing a lot more squats recently but my knee always hurts? What am I doing wrong oppa?

Hmmm your posture might be incocrect. Are you making sure that your back is straight Ji Soo?

Of course oppa! But it still hurts? Can you help me with the posture?

It’s a bit difficult over text but I suppose I could send a video or something?

I’ve tried that already! Why don’t you show me one day after rehearsals when you get back!

In contrast to previous messages, Jong Kook hesitated with his reply. Should he ask Ji Hyo about how she felt with him talking to other girls? But they had done the same thing – him and her had often gone to the gym together before they started dating for years – so surely it wouldn’t cause any problems? Plus, it would seem rude not to and then having one of his dancers continue with knee pain.

With that logic, Jong Kook replied. Of course Ji – Soo yah. We’ll figure out a date when I get back ok? But I’ve got to go and have breakfast. I trust you to keep the others in shape!

Jong Kook sighed before getting ready to go down. He had clearly justified his actions yet there was a strange, lingering feeling that he couldn’t shake off.

Ji Hyo hated this time of day. In an ideal world, she’d stay in bed for a couple more hours, eat some food then sleep some more. But this was the real world where she had to earn money so she reluctantly got up and showered – she still smelt of too – before she went down. It was Jae Suk she saw first, to nobody’s surprise she supposed.

The two exchanged pleasantries before eating, Jae Suk reading his newspaper and Ji Hyo going over the script for later during the week. Suk Jin soon joined them, followed by Ha Ha (who was Facetiming his wife and children) and Kwang Soo, who for some reason unbeknown to her, was avoiding her gaze. Jong Kook came down a bit after Se Chan and Somin, taking the only available seat next to Ji Hyo. This of course hadn’t gone unnoticed by the elder members.

Small talk was made, with the PD explaining the general logistics of the day, as everyone ate. Jong Kook tried to lace his hand with Ji Hyo but found that he wouldn’t risk it now that he knew that Kwang Soo knew about their relationship. He felt as if there were more eyes on him now and it almost scared him. Neither him or Ji Hyo had talked about the possibility of disclosing their relationship yet as it was still early stages and in a way Jong Kook didn’t want to. He wanted to be a bit selfish and spend as much time with her and make new memories before they went public for he knew that if they went public that there’d be more public scrutiny. He couldn’t do that to her, not when she was finally his after years too long.

 

Things moved swiftly after that – members went to their respective hotel rooms to get changed and have their hair and make – up done before they all met outside to travel to the filming location. They were having a couple race today, focusing on attaining clues to find a puzzle during the final race, including both the physical and mental interim missions. Ji Hyo had complained about the large probability of being betrayed when she found Kwang Soo waiting for her in one of the cars whilst Jong Kook was even more disappointed at the sight of Jae Suk in his car. He had been secretly hoping to be paired up with Ji Hyo although logically he knew that the chance was slim but he got on with the day nevertheless with stolen glances, lingering touches during the physical mission of ssireum* as well as just abusing any opportunity to sit or stand close to Ji Hyo both during filming as well as during breaks. Ji Hyo had often sent Jong Kook warning glances whenever it seemed verging on being blatant, even going so far to pinching his arm when he rested his hand on her thighs during lunch, but Jong Kook couldn’t help himself in his view. She – the most beautiful woman on the planet in his view anyway – had told him that she loved him the night before (although the was equally amazing)! And it was driving him insane. The idea that she could take it all back, say that everything was a mistake or just said from being too tired (after all the session was long) scared him to bits. He had finally heard that she loved him – him of all people! – and it was pure torture for him to get through almost 12 hours of filming when all he wanted to do was be close to his girlfriend and be reassured.

 

He sighed as the cast sat down for lunch, as Suk Jin and Se Chan were being vocal about how they were first place mid-day whereas the rest of the cast were too scared to ask what was bothering the man that instilled fear to others during races.

 

Anyone else feel absolutely scared to ask Jong Kook hyung what’s wrong? It was Sechan who typed

into the group chat first, as he noticed his hyung moping at the opposite end of the table.

A flurry of ‘me’s filled the chat by the others.

Seriously, it was as if he let us win the mission. Suk Jin typed, sparing a glance to the dongsaeng on his left. Despite their on-screen bickering and apparent nonchalance, he did truly care for the members. It was almost reminiscent watching the younger ones grow through the years and he admitted that the members were like his family.

I wonder if he had a fight with Ji Hyo. They haven’t been talking much today. Jae Suk typed, noting the lack of conversation between the two. The two had always caught his eye from when they first met during an episode of Family Outing. It was well known, and still known now, that Jong Kook was shy around women but still treated them right, yet when he met Ji Hyo, he became overly shy as well as just being unable to do anything. Jae Suk first saw Jong Kook’s admiration for her when they had to play the hanging bar wrestling between Ji Hyo and Lee Hyori and it became apparent that Ji Hyo wasn’t one of those girly girls. He also saw it during the beginning of Running Man as he would constantly yet also admired her for using her wits during bell missions specifically. The majority of people put their good relationship to being similar in the way they tackle things as well as personality but often put it to being like siblings yet Jae Suk always suspected different. The way they just bounced off each other, knew what the other was thinking just from looking at them and just the way they were so comfortable with each other was able to rival any so-called sibling relationship. Their relationship was rare and one that most people would dream of yet so few would get. However, the downside of both of them and that type of close relationship, be it romantic or platonic, was that it was fiery yet had the potential to be explosive. Both Ji Hyo and Jong Kook were strong personalities and any fight between the two could become detrimental to their relationship but also to the members as a whole.  

Kwang Soo, you were Ji Hyo’s partner today. Didn’t you notice anything? It was Ha Ha who typed this time.

Me? No. Why would I?!

Why the surprise? It was just a question… You’re being suspicious Lee Kwang Soo…

Sorry hyung. Noona didn’t seem too different today.

Look! Hyung just followed noona out of the room! It was Se Ch an and Kwang Soo thanked his lucky stars that they were interrupted at that time.

 

Whilst the others were talking on their group chat, Ji Hyo simply had enough. She had texted Jong Kook to follow her with no other alternative as led him to an empty private room in the restaurant.

“What do you think you’re doing?” She hissed. And damn, it scared Jong Kook and he knew that he messed up.

“Huh?”
“You’ve been acting so not you all day. It’s creeping everyone out!”

Jong Kook sighed. He had been so self-absorbed and thinking about Ji Hyo that he had let it affect him. “Sorry Ji Hyo-yah. I just… I can’t stop thinking about you and not being able to touch you is driving me insane. Its just last night was something that I couldn’t stop thinking about for years and when you told me you loved me it… I wanted to explode from happiness. I keep thinking it was a dream and that maybe you’ll take it back.” It was a small whisper, barely audible among the hustle and bustle of the restaurant during a busy lunch hour yet Ji Hyo heard it clearly. She sighed, taking steps forward before enveloping her boyfriend into a hug, realising that behind the hard exterior was a man with insecurities that everyone experiences possibly from past relationships or possibly the harsh nature of the industry.

“Trust me it’s killing me too oppa. I finally told you that I loved you and I’d much rather just want spend the day in bed with you but you’re worrying the others. You need to get your emotions under control before they think something is really wrong. I love you Kim Jong Kook and I promise that you can hug me and touch me after shooting ok?” She smiled when she felt a small nod in the crook of her neck as she run her hands up and down his back. “And I’m never leaving you trust me. I’m too stubborn and I love you too much. Guess you’re stuck with me.” She giggled as she kissed his cheek, seeing the happiness radiate from Jong Kook’s eyes as he realised what she just said. Before she could do anything his lips were on hers before he whispered small ‘thank yous’ as he kissed her forehead whilst enveloping her embrace again.

Ji Hyo broke the hug first, making sure that her eyes were piercing into his as he took his hands. “I promise that I’ll come by your room tonight when everyone is asleep ok and I’ll keep reminding you that I’m never leaving if I have to my Sparta. I love you and that isn’t changing got it?” She smiled when he nodded, relieved that he seemed to be better, yet knowing that she would have to remind him from time and time again. “We’d better leave before the others wonder where we are but please cheer up, it’ll look too weird if Suk Jin oppa wins.”

 

Hyung looks much better. You don’t think that they… you know? Se Chan typed. The collective groans of disgust were evident from all the members as they scolded him as they left the restaurant to the next filming location

-----------------------------------

Word count – 3092

A/N: Ssireum – Korean wrestling (they’ve appeared frequently on Running Man which Jong Kook pretty much always wins :P)

 

Hello everyone! I’m back!
First off thank you for all your support and understanding despite the extremely long hiatus that I took.

I’ve finished all my university work so now free and back to writing regularly. I can’t promise an update schedule but it’ll definitely be more frequent ahaha. The UK has imposed a lockdown (we’re in week 7 or 8 I think) so just staying at home now. Trying to do a lot of things that I never had the time for – photography, drawing, baking, music and writing!

Are you still keeping up with the latest episodes of Running Man? How are you finding it? I’m still watching the episodes and have come to like Se Chan and So Min and what they bring to the other members and their relationships. It’s definitely a lot less physical than the older episodes but that’s to be expected with age and injuries. And I suppose everyone and everything has to evolve!

As ever, I hope you enjoy and please feel free to comment! I love interacting with you all!

Please stay safe! Don’t neglect your physical or mental health during these crazy times!