Chapter 12

Delaying the Inevitable

It was an hour later when Jong Kook’s bell rang and he promptly ran out, after texting Ha Ha to come to his soon, where he saw Ji Hyo waiting in her car. It was a sunny day, despite it being winter, with the sky being a soft shade of blue. Jong Kook breathed a sigh of relief – maybe things would go to plan today. Yet as Jong Kook stepped out he was hit with the icy flow of air that breathed through the sun as his smile quickly turned into a frown. Clearly, looks could be deceiving.

With a frown, he went to open the car door, only to find it locked leaving him perplexed, as Ji Hyo laughed in the driver’s seat as she popped a sweet in .

“Yah! Song Ji Hyo!” Jong Kook mock shouted as he tried to pull on the handle. “Open up. I’m freezing out here.” Jong Kook shivered, exaggerating of course, and pouted to which Ji Hyo couldn’t help but laugh and take a picture of. Who would believe that Jong Kook, a man who was known for his utter opposition of having to do aegyo, would have just pouted his lips. After taking the picture, and sending it to the Running Man group chat, she let him in and immediately hugged him before they set off to the restaurant.

After chatting for an hour, which primarily consisted of Ji Hyo assuring Jong Kook that it did salads, they arrived to Sinsa – Dong, an upbeat city filled with beautiful murals that seemed to make the city a perfect place to have a date, although the pair didn’t put a label on it. Ji Hyo greeted her manager’s friend whom she had met a couple of times as they were shown their seats, situated in the back corner. As they sat down Ji Hyo took the time to take in her surroundings. It was a small restaurant with the tea stained pictures giving it a nostalgic feel whilst wooden furniture gave it a rustic yet cosy and comfortable feel.

They ordered their drinks, Ji Hyo ordering some lemonade whilst Jong Kook opted for water, as they made small talk about Running Man and the members whereas Ji Hyo complained that Jong Kook could have been more gentle when ousting her last week with him apologising of course. Then talk turned to Ji Hyo’s as she happily talked about her drama which she was still filming with Dong Wook which was starting to become popular in ratings. Jong Kook was happy and proud of course although he hated one bit – the netizens shipping the two main characters, played by Ji Hyo and Dong Wook, which was only intensified by the kiss scene which aired a couple of days ago. Of course, as to not ruin his plan, Jong Kook could only offer professional advice although he thought about what netizens would think if in the future his and Ji Hyo’s relationship went public. It was only an assumption that she didn’t flat out refuse or think that he was desperate to get married, like in his nightmares, that a situation like that would ever happen. After they ordered their respective lunches, Jong Kook settled on a salad almost immediately making Ji Hyo roll her eyes whilst Ji Hyo ordered a carbonara, they both proceeded to talk.

“Oppa did you tell that girl you liked?” Ji Hyo asked. Half because she was curious but also half because she was jealous.

“Not yet.”

“You’re going to lose her if you don’t.” She tutted making Jong Kook snap up immediately. Yeah, he was definitely going to ask her out today.

“I was going to ask her today actually.” It was casually thrown but still caught Ji Hyo’s attention. She was defeated – she felt that she had just lost a mission in Running Man but she had to accept it. She didn’t want to risk getting hurt so she didn’t want to risk asking Jong Kook about his true feelings. Thus, she just had to accept it as it was.

“Oh? Tell me how it goes then.”

“Naturally. You’re like my personal cheerleader.” He winked.

“Hardly oppa.” Ji Hyo scoffed. They ate their respective dishes, although Ji Hyo noticed the numerous amount of times that Jong Kook checked his phone.

“You can go if you’ve got somewhere to be oppa.”

“What? Oh, it’s nothing. It’s just about the new album.” He lied, or at least tried to, yet his eyes blinked rapidly causing Ji Hyo to grow suspicious. Jong Kook hated lying to those close to him, especially to Ji Hyo, and coupled with the fact that Ji Hyo knew Jong Kook the best, it was inevitable that Ji Hyo would get suspicious.

“Oh. How’s that going again?”

“Meh.”

“Meh?”

“Meh. I’ve had writer’s block for the past couple of days.”
“The girl occupying your mind?” Ji Hyo teased, although it was the most half-hearted tease ever.

“Maybe.”

As time got closer to the end of the meal, Jong Kook got more nervous. The butterflies in his stomach started and his throat became dry. The plan was set – Dong Hoon had set everything according to the drawing he had left on the fridge, the necessary equipment was set up and Ji Hyo had agreed to come to his for a cup of coffee.

It took about an hour and a half to get back to Jong Kook’s, as Ji Hyo had to make a pit stop to buy some make up despite Jong Kook telling her that she looked even prettier without it, when they walked up to his apartment with Ji Hyo trailing behind Jong Kook.

Jong Kook’s heartbeat quickened as he opened the door to reveal a sea of beautifully scattered petals of red, pink and white rose, scattered alongside single, 14 to be exact, stems of red roses. In between the sea of petals and roses, tea lights in their respective glass holders radiated their faint lights in the dimly lit hallway, illuminating the pathway into the living room. The fresh aroma of the rose petals raced quickly up Ji Hyo’s nostrils as she inhaled them as Jong Kook took her coat before hanging it on the coat stand as Ji Hyo was unable to move.

But upon hearing Ji Hyo’s faint gasp of surprise Jong Kook relaxed and smiled as he turned to face her.

“Oppa what-“
“Shhhh. Just trust me and hear me out.” He assured as he took her hand as he guided her through the hall way. Eyes scanned through every touch of detail that Jong Kook had laid out, with him laying the petals out as to make the most use off the light that came from each candle and how they had all been laid out as an organised mess – not too clumped together yet not to scattered out as to lose the shape of the hallway. In the room, Ji Hyo let out another small gasp of surprise as she stood opposite Jong Kook, who was taking his place in front of the keyboard that he had borrowed from Ha Ha, before he started playing the chords for the song. At first Ji Hyo thought that he would play one of his own songs yet it was something different – Lee Juck’s “It’s Fortunate” – which Jong Kook chose as he felt that the lyrics accurately reflected his own thoughts regarding Ji Hyo and that she had maybe mentioned, 5 and a half years ago whilst drunk, that it was her second favourite song.

 

“for meeting you and being able to touch your hair
for meeting you and being able to breath, looking at each other
for being hugged and being able to let the tears flow when it's tough

I'm so fortunate...
for the beautiful world that knows you and placing you here

In the violent wind and under a wet roof, I'm not getting tossed there by myself.
Wearisome of daily life and survival,by some chance is not something meaningless
It's because of amazing person...you... that always be by my side,

for meeting you...
and being able to make meals we share
for meeting you and being able to hold your hands when it goes numb

for hugging you and being able to give you comfort even though it doesn't help

I'm so fortunate
for the beautiful world that knows you
for meeting you and being able to touch your hair...

 

“Oppa – “Ji Hyo trailed off, tears falling down her cheeks, as she was touched with overwhelming emotion. She had been asked out many times before but none so like this. Jong Kook’s confession made her feel truly beautiful for the first time, despite hearing it from others she had never felt truly beautiful. She felt so loved that she felt as if the amount of love from Jong Kook, which was relayed through his sweet voice and sincere eyes, could protect her from anything.

Jong Kook stepped out from behind the keyboard where he held Ji Hyo’s hand as he looked into her eyes. “I’ve known you for over 6 years yet everytime I see you, you literally take my breath away and I ask myself about how I had come to know you so well. To me, you are my best friend whom I can talk to for everything and thus my confidante. You are also my sibling whom I will protect with my life and feel protected from everything. You are my teacher who helps me to make rational decisions during times when I’m unsure myself. You’re my nurse who helps me when I’m ill, my masseuse for my back and all my other injuries as well as my counsellor who helps me during times of emotional distress. You’re my cheerleader, minus the outfit, who gives me strength when I want to give up with the TV shows and my music. But most important of all, you’re, hopefully, my woman who gives me hope and makes me happy.” He finished, before holding his hand up to wipe a tear that trickled down Ji Hyo’s face. He took a deep breath before speaking again. “Ji Hyo – yah, will you be my girlfriend?” He asked, nervously, and for the first time in his life aside from singing, he trembled. Although Jong Kook hated this, Ji Hyo smiled internally, finding it cute.

Hearing Jong Kook’s words had made Ji Hyo forget all her past hurts that were caused by her past relationships and her jealousy whenever the other members would tease Jong Kook about Eun Hye. Or when female guests would come on and so blatantly flirt with him, much to Jong Kook’s obliviousness of course. There were many more circumstances of course yet Ji Hyo had always gone home dismissing the idea of a relationship ever happening and crying, only telling Dong Wook about her true feelings. However, she couldn’t forget the countless times when she had wanted to be consoled by Jong Kook when she had been cheated on by her ex – boyfriend, so she had to settle for Kwang Soo yet she still felt incomplete. She had to restrain herself from telling Jong Kook about the time when she had fought with her mum and had left the house so again had settled for Kwang Soo. There were more instances when she had to tell someone else because she had thought that he had no interest in her and that he was busy finding his own woman. She had never fathomed, not even for a second, that Jong Kook’s woman was herself. Maybe it was because her past had meant that she never gave herself value despite her chic character on – screen, or because she had felt that if after 6 years, Jong Kook hadn’t asked her out already that it must obviously be something to do with her.

After what seemed like a lifetime for Jong Kook, Ji Hyo replied. “Of course oppa.” She smiled, nodding enthusiastically. It took Jong Kook a second, but felt like a minute, to take in her answer and responded with the widest smile that Ji Hyo had seen from him before engulfing her into a tight hug as he whispered numerous “thank you”s to her.

Their first hug as a couple felt different to the two of them with Jong Kook finally feeling like she was his. Finally, he didn’t feel as if he had to fight others for her to be his and he loved that. To Ji Hyo, she finally felt protected and loved, which of course made her happy. As they broke apart, Jong Kook took the opportunity to hold her hands as he looked into her eyes again.

“I can’t promise that I won’t hurt you because it’s inevitable that we’ll argue. But I will promise that we will get through every argument and that I’ll never let you go. I promise that we’ll go through everything together and that we’ll grow old and be happy together.”

“Thank you oppa.” She whispered as both stared at each other, getting lost in each other’s embrace. “But oppa?” Ji Hyo asked, getting an answer in the form of a hum from Jong Kook. “I think you might want to blow the candles out before you burn your place down.”

“Right. Yes. I ought to do that.” He suddenly turned as he blew the candles out, making a mental note to clean everything up in the morning.

After he had blew them out and had made some tea for the pair, the new couple sat down in the sofa, sitting next to each other this time. They had sat next to each other before of course, for example during lunches whilst filming Running Man or during fanmeets, but sitting down as a couple it felt different to Jong Kook. It felt as if he was more complete and that he was happy.

“So I was the girl you were talking about huh?” Ji Hyo mused as she sipped her tea.

“Yeah.” He lowered his head. “I didn’t want to risk our friendship. I mean, a 6 year friendship is hard to come by.”

“Ok. I awcknowledge that.” She nodded. “But you really didn’t know my feelings?”
“No Ji Hyo – yah. I’m good at seeing other people’s relationships, evidently not my own.” Jong Kook chuckled.

“What do you mean seeing? I think you mean coaching.” She teased.

“Yah!”
“Even the fortune teller told you to stop analysing,”
“I do not analyse! I didn’t with you anyway.” He confessed, making Ji Hyo’s heart skip a beat.

“Oppa, you know I got really jealous of you and other female guests?” Ji Hyo told him, shocking Jong Kook yet making his lips curl up into a small smile. Ji Hyo being jealous was a big deal to him because she was hardly the jealous type. Thus, hearing Ji Hyo admit that she was jealous only meant that she truly did have feelings for him.

“I guess I’m not so observant as other people think I am. I genuinely didn’t notice.” He chuckled as he clasped his hands with Ji Hyo’s. “But I got jealous as well you know.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah. The day where I said that I’d never date you? I only said it because I was jealous of you and Dong Wook.”

“Dong Wook?” Ji Hyo guffawed. Dong Wook was only her best friend so the thought of anything romantic with him was almost as bad as anything romantic happening between her and Kwang Soo.

“Don’t. It makes me so embarrassed thinking about it.”

“Don’t be oppa. I’m yours now anyway.” Ji Hyo smiled as she leaned her head on Jong Kook’s shoulder, making Jong Kook surprised. Of course they had hugged and had more skinship before but they never failed to make Jong Kook’s entire body flow with a burst of electricity.

“You bet you are.” He whispered before putting his arm around her, allowing Ji Hyo to snuggle into him more as they both got comfortable in each other’s embrace.

 

-----------------

Word Count – 2683 (2533 without the lyrics)

A/N

Hello Runners! Hope you’re all ok? So I really agonised a lot about how I’d write this whole confession scene and hope I did it justice.

I’ll try my best to juggle university and continuing this fic but it’s hard because I don’t know how long this will go!

Until next time!