Chapter 2

Delaying the Inevitable

After being dropped off outside the restaurant by her manager, Ji Hyo smoothed out her clothes and she checked her make – up with her pocket sized mirror before she took a deep sigh filled with trepidation as she entered the restaurant. The restaurant was brightly lit, filled with decorations and stickers with sparked nostalgia which helped to ease the busy atmosphere that was expected of a popular restaurant. The chatters of people who were enjoying their meals could rival that of an outdoor market. Ji Hyo passed a couple who she suspected were on a date. She smiled as she saw them laughing happily as the man fed his girlfriend a wrap of meat in some vegetable. She wondered when she would be able to smile brightly as the girl did in the scene that she was witnessing in front of her.

“Ji Hyo – yah!” She was interrupted by a familiar voice in front of her. She looked over and saw her familiar Running Man member that she saw every week, dressed in his casual wear with his signature smile plastered on his face.

“Oppa!” Ji Hyo ran and immediately hugged him, grateful that Jong Kook had got a seat in a private room near the back, away from prying ears and eyes. She was grateful that no – one would be able to misunderstand that two friends meeting up for dinner.

“Have you been well?”

“You only saw me two days ago to drop off my jacket which I left it in your car last week!” Ji Hyo chuckled but was silently touched at his interest in her welfare.

“I can’t ask a friend how they are?” Jong Kook feigned hurt. “Especially since I’ve heard from Kwang Soo that you’ve been working loads recently.” Jong Kook sighed. He, being similar in personality to Ji Hyo, emphasised and admired Ji Hyo’s strive for perfection and her drive to impress others. But, he also valued her health as a friend and would have been more upset if she was ill and had to rest from filming, like in episode 63. He couldn’t express it as outwardly as Gary, but he was worried for ’s health and found that he couldn’t enjoy the shooting as much, despite all the other member’s joyfulness at the presence of Girl’s Generation.

“Not you too.” Ji Hyo grumbled disapprovingly as she took her seat. “I’ll tell you what I’ve told Giraffe. I know my limits and I’ll be fine.” She hated people fussing over her, especially something which seemed trivial to her.

“I know but…” Jong Kook shut up as he saw the glare from Ji Hyo and sighed, knowing he was defeated when it came to arguing with Ji Hyo. “Fine, but any sign of you getting ill and I’ll…”

“You’ll what?” Ji Hyo teased, interrupting Jong Kook.

“I don’t know but I’ll come up with something.” Jong Kook stuttered. Truth be told, Ji Hyo and his mum were the only woman that put him in his place, leaving him speechless and dumbfounded.

“I’ll wait to see what that ‘something’ is.’ Ji Hyo teased.

“I ordered the stuffed chicken for you and chicken salad for me.” Jong Kook changed the topic hurriedly.

“Thanks oppa. You always know what I like.” Ji Hyo smiled as she took a sip of water.

“We have similar tastes.” Jong Kook shrugged.

“Apart from the fact that I will eat fried food whilst you won’t.” Ji Hyo pointed out, leading Jong Kook to chuckle.

“Can I ask you a question oppa?” Ji Hyo asked timidly, wanting to clear something that had been knawing at her on the car ride to the restaurant.

“Of course you can Ji Hyo – yah. We’re friends.” Jong Kook smiled reassuringly.

“On the way here I got a call from Kwang Soo and he said that he had invited you and the other oppas to dinner but you declined saying you had to record for your new album yet you told me you had finished your work out.” She rambled, eventually trailing off, not wanting to fully verbalise what she was implying.

“Oh… urm… I went to the gym because I couldn’t come up with anything.” Jong Kook stuttered, hoping that Ji Hyo wouldn’t catch on to his sudden change in behaviour as he played around with his cutlery, praying that the food would come quickly.

“Oh that makes sense I guess.” Ji Hyo shrugged, accepting her oppa’s explanation, leaving the two in an awkward silence. Thankfully, as if someone had told the kitchen to hurry up to rid the awkward silence, the waiter came with their food, setting it in front of them. Both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo took in the aroma from their respective foods and started eating silently, both trying to come up with small talk but failing. Eventually, Jong Kook took a sip of water and cleared his throat.

“Is the food good?” Jong Kook quipped, met with a curt nod from Ji Hyo. As quickly as the nod from Ji Hyo was given, the two fell back into the awkward silence, which they both hated, but would not admit. In fact, both didn’t admit a lot of things to each other; like how they saw each other as more than just friends and co – workers, how they both hated it when they were paired with other guests of the opposite gender, how they still looked for each other even in different teams, how they protected and cared for each other when they were both on the same team and different teams and how they loved being on the same team as each other. However, both being at the top of the entertainment industry made it hard for them to have any sort of relationship outside of work. God forbid, Jong Kook uploading a picture just of him and Ji Hyo would be forbidden so Jong Kook had dismissed any thoughts of dating Ji Hyo to the back of his mind and so had to settle for a purely platonic relationship. Unbeknown to him, Ji Hyo had the exact same thoughts.

“How’s your drama filming going Ji Hyo – yah?” Jong Kook asked, growing frustrated at the silence.

“It’s really good oppa! Soo Kyung and I get along really well so it’s easier to film.”

“Soo Kyung huh?” Jong Kook asked, looking up to meet Ji Hyo’s eyes. Truthfully, he wanted to gauge her reaction for any hint of jealousy.

“Do you like her oppa?” Ji Hyo teased, taking a sip of water as she tried to hide her jealousy.

“What if I did?” Jong Kook pushed.

“Then I’d invite you to set one day and introduce you to one another.”

Jong Kook chuckled. “No I don’t like her but I’d like to visit.” To see you he added in his head.

“Of course oppa. Just tell me a day when you’re free.”

“What about the rest of the cast?”

“It's great! Dong Wook and I already filmed together before so acting as a couple came naturally.” Ji Hyo smiled as she spoke about her co – worker, playing the role of her husband. However, she had failed to notice how Jong Kook's ears perked up at the mention of Dong Wook's name and more so at the fact that they played a couple, causing him to tighten his grip on his cutlery as he forced his food in his mouth.

“That’s good I guess. I can't wait until the drama starts airing.” Outright lie Jong Kook thought to himself. Maybe not so much as he would get the chance to see Ji Hyo doing the work that she did best which made him proud. But he was not looking to forward to her act lovey – dovey with her co – star despite it only being a drama. However, Jong Kook quickly chastised himself as he remembered that a platonic relationship would be best for Ji Hyo and her career as an actress but knew that he could not simply dismiss his recent increase in desire to ask her out officially.  

 

After finishing their food, they both ordered their desserts and made small talk as they waited. Their respective ice cream and fruit salad came at the same time and both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo ate their desserts. Although, both also stole desserts from the other party, causing Ji Hyo to laugh and question the need for ordering two separate desserts in the first place. After they had eaten and paid by Jong Kook, despite Ji Hyo's protests, Jong Kook had offered to drive her home instead of calling out her manager.

 

The drive towards Ji Hyo’s house was filled with the simple hum of music from the radio with both parties making small talk along the way. They, thankfully, managed to avoid the traffic and managed to reach Ji Hyo’s apartment within half an hour.

“Here we are.” Jong Kook commented as he turned off the engine in the car.

“Thanks for the lift oppa. See you tomorrow.” Ji Hyo smiled as she turned to open the door.

“Let me take you up.” He insisted.

“Oppa, it’s only three floors up.” Ji Hyo dismissed, chuckling at the absurdity of his suggestion.

“It’s… dangerous.” Jong Kook justified, but realised it was more of a justification for himself rather than his female co – worker. “Especially to pretty women like you.” He immediately added, not wanting to sound weird. That’s even weirder he chastised to himself. Ji Hyo blushed as she nodded, knowing that arguing would be pointless as well as wanting to spend extra time with Jong Kook, and got out of the car, along with her bag as she readied herself as Jong Kook came round the side, meeting her.

“Give me your bag.”

“Oppa, it’s not even heavy.” Ji Hyo chuckled, dumbfounded.

“Just listen Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook pleaded, resulting in Ji Hyo reluctantly handing over her bag to Jong Kook as they slowly walked towards Ji Hyo’s apartment, with the occasional laugher being heard as Jong Kook had told a silly story. As they reached the entrance to the block of flats, they eventually came to a stop and stood outside the door with no words spoken, like a pair of awkward teenagers coming home from their first date.

After what seemed like forever, Ji Hyo cleared and gestured her hand towards the bag that was in Jong Kook’s hands.

“Oh yeah.” Jong Kook chuckled nervously, handing the bag to her. Again, they fell into silence as they both tried to come up with a conversation starter. “I’ll get going. See you tomorrow Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook bid his farewell as he leaned in for a hug. They hugged tightly as they normally did and savoured the moment before Jong Kook turned round and started to head to his car.

“Oppa.” Ji Hyo called out, resulting in Jong Kook to turning round to face Ji Hyo again. “I was just wondering if you wanted to have some tea with me upstairs.” Ji Hyo mumbled quickly, shy at her request.

“Sorry Ji Hyo – yah. I couldn’t hear you.” Jong Kook stepped closer towards her.

“I was wondering if you wanted to have some tea with me upstairs.” Ji Hyo repeated, wringing the sleeves of her hoodie.

 

------------------------------------

Word Count - 1902

Sorry not sorry for the slight cliffhanger but I had to focus on university packing :( Thank you for all the support, it really means a lot, especially when this is my first fanfic. I'll try and update as much as I can but just to give a heads up, I'll be quite busy in the next few weeks with starting university, Fresher's etc. 

Also you can also follow my Tumblr! It's spartaceistheace :)