Chapter 17

Delaying the Inevitable

 

Song of the Day – Busker Busker “Cherry Blossom Ending”

봄바람 휘날리며
흩날리는 벚꽃 잎이
울려 퍼질 거리를
우우 둘이 걸어요

 

(As the spring wind blows
The scattering cherry blossom petals
Spread out on this street
As we walk together)

 

Jong Kook decided to sing, taking a deep breath before singing Lee Juck’s “Don’t Worry”, the lyrics seemingly relatable to the couple.

My dear, don’t worry about anything
Let’s sing together
Bury all the painful memories
Deep inside your heart

All things past is in the past
They all have a meaning
Sing to the one who left
Say that you loved without regrets

You went through so many difficult things
You lost that newness
All of the hardships
Brush them all off

All things past is in the past
They all have a meaning
Let’s all sing together
Say that you dreamed without regrets

All things past is in the past
They all have a meaning
Let’s all sing together
Say that you dreamed without regrets

All things past is in the past
They all have a meaning
Let’s all sing together
Say that you dreamed without regrets
Say that you will dream a new dream

As soon as Jong Kook began to sing, Ji Hyo snapped her head up in surprise. Yet her smile grew wider and she reminisced about the time they had slow danced in Ji Hyo’s apartment, just a couple of days ago.

“Oppa… this first date is perfect.” Ji Hyo whispered, not wanting to break the romantically tense atmosphere.

“I’m glad you enjoyed it Ji Hyo – yah but I have a feeling that we should get some shelter before you get sick.” Jong Kook smiled as he grabbed Ji Hyo’s hands as they ran to a bit of shelter, under the parasol which was presumably set up for the rooftop tables. They both hunched together and sat down as Jong Kook put his suit jacket around Ji Hyo so she wouldn’t be cold. Jong Kook put his arms around Ji Hyo, not surprising her at all as it was only natural. To a normal couple, resting one’s arms on another’s shoulders was nerve wrecking yet for Jong Kook it was natural. Skinship between the two had started small – the occasional high fives when winning a mission – but gradually increased to holding each other’s hands and shaking them which was mainly when they were excited. Of course it wasn’t limited to that, it progressed to hugs and side – hugs and head pats because Jong Kook found her to be adorable. Their skinship wasn’t the only thing that had progressed – their natural knowledge of each other’s movements had also improved. It was only the little things such as Jong Kook knowing how close she was to him or where she was. The way that Jong Kook knew where Ji Hyo was after succeeding a mission and immediately hugging her was mostly due to him knowing where she was – a result of something that couldn’t be explained as if Jong Kook had an earpiece of where Jong Kook was all the time, like when he received it during the superpower episode.

“We could have just sat at your studio and it’d still be the perfect date.”
“I highly doubt that… the studio’s a mess and it stinks in there. You’re quite sensitive to smell.” Jong Kook refuted, remembering the times when she had been the one to call him out for eating the vinegar drink instead of the yoghurt drink, or her being the one to suffer most when eating the fermented skate.

“But I’m with you.” Ji Hyo rebutted, like a child not wanting to lose in an argument, even though it was slightly pointless. Jong Kook merely smiled as he clasped her hands with his as they both stared at the Seoul skyline as Ji Hyo rested her head on his shoulders.

“Ji Hyo – yah, being here with you makes me happy you know.”

“Same here oppa.”

“I wish I could spend the whole night here with you but we have filming tomorrow.” Jong Kook sighed, sensing that the sensible thing would be to send Ji Hyo home so she could sleep.

“It’s in the morning as well.” Ji Hyo grumbled.

“Hopefully we’re on the same team… I don’t want you on the same team with a male guest again.” Jong Kook huffed.

“Awwww… is my boyfriend jealous?” Ji Hyo cooed, enjoying this side of her boyfriend.

“Jealous? Kim – ssi’s* don’t get jealous.” Jong Kook responded, trying to ignore Ji Hyo’s smirking face.

“Stop lying oppa.” Ji Hyo rolled her eyes as she smiled softly.

“Ji Hyo – yah, I should take you back to yours before you get ill.”
“Even if I did, you’d take care of me right?” Ji Hyo interrupted.

“Of course I will.”
“Then I’ll get better quickly.”
“That’s beside the point – you’re busy filming and we have to go to Jeju in two weeks, not forgetting rehearsals for our fanmeeting.”

“Fine.” Ji Hyo huffed, reluctantly as Jong Kook pulled her up as they both made their way down to the car. The drive was filled with laughter, tinged with sadness, as the date drew to a close. Their date wasn’t the most common, nor were they to be fair, yet to Ji Hyo it was imperfectly perfect. The whole night had made her feel cherished and loved, something that was rarely felt on a first date. Maybe it was because they had known each other for 7 years but it was also because the two were fated for each other. They had played around the bush for 7 years, acquiring information about each other including their likes and dislikes and settling at just being friends, and had taken the step to being more than that. The step seemed to be too big to the both of them to take, making them feel apprehensive, yet with each other it was something that was doable and worth doing. It was because they were happy with each other, they had gone through times when it was hard – being jealous, having fights because they were jealous, having fights because they were like siblings yet they fought like a married couple – but equally stood by each other through the best of times – like when Jong Kook released his new album with Turbo after so many years or when Ji Hyo starred in her new drama. And because they had each other, everything was ok and the pair knew that.

“Well, we’re here.” Jong Kook sighed before he stepped out of the car, making his way over to Ji Hyo’s side as he helped her out. They stood outside her door, awkwardly, as if they were two teenagers with the boy dropping the girl home before curfew hits.

“I had an amazing night oppa.” Ji Hyo smiled, taking Jong Kook by surprise. Despite it not going the way that he had planned – with the broken elevator and the rain – he was happy that Ji Hyo had liked it. The worst scenario that he had in mind was that Ji Hyo would hate it, making a confession after a seemingly 7 year one – sided love be wasted.
“Glad you liked it Ji Hyo – yah.”
“You should get inside quickly.”
“Oh, you’re jacket.” Ji Hyo proceeded to shrug off her jacket, even if she didn’t want to. It was something about it – maybe it was the smell of Jong Kook’s scent or the fact that he had worn it and it would be something that Ji Hyo could sleep with during the night – that Ji Hyo secretly wanted to keep.

“Keep it and give it to me tomorrow.”

“And it isn’t a way of getting some time alone with me whilst filming?”
“Of course not.” Jong Kook said as he averted his eyes, making Ji Hyo laugh at him being blatantly obvious. The rapid blinking, which happened when he was lying, and the subtle higher tone used was a dead giveaway to someone who had known him for 7 years. “You should go inside Ji Hyo – yah. It’s already half 11.” Jong Kook urged as he checked his phone. It was partly because he had to drive home as well but mainly because he wanted to Ji Hyo to get into a warm change of clothes as soon as possible. Maybe it had more to do with the fact that he knew she needed sleep otherwise she would be grumpy tomorrow. He was her boyfriend but she was still scary. But of course her welfare was also important. Of course.

“I’ll go inside after you leave.”

“No you leave.” He smiled back, knowing full well that their conversation was more a petty argument that wasn’t an argument.

“Okay.” Ji Hyo smiled back as she contemplated whether or not to give Jong Kook a hug but ultimately decided against before she walked backwards to her house. Usually her pride would have left her resisting being the one to throw in the towel first but this time, she really didn’t mind. She turned around to give one last shy smile and a small wave at Jong Kook before she entered her house. She proceeded to go inside and get a glass of water when she saw the flowers that Jong Kook had gotten her. She smiled, as she thought about how the past two days had been a whirlwind – from Jong Kook’s romantic confession to the date tonight. She always knew that Jong Kook would be different to her past boyfriends but she had never known that she would be this happy. It had only been their first date and their second day as a couple but she had never felt so happy with another man before. She had never felt so cherished, protected and special to someone. She had of course felt loved by her family, her friends like Dong Wook and the Running Man members and her fans, but she had never experienced it in a romantic way like she was currently feeling.

With those thoughts floating around her mind, she happily went to get changed before getting ready for bed when she had gotten a text from none other than her boyfriend.

I miss you

Ji Hyo laughed, it had been a measly 10 minutes since she had come home but began typing nonetheless. I miss you too

Get some rest so you don’t get ill and drink some hot water before filming tomorrow

I see your nagging doesn’t stop

I give special treatment to a special person

Well I give special treatment to my boyfriend, goodnight my Sparta boyfriend. Ji Hyo, after much contemplation, sent. It was the first time that they had addressed each other by using the official terms and it was only natural that it would make Ji Hyo feel all tingly and warm and fuzzy inside. Unbeknown to her, Jong Kook was the same as he smiled as he saw it. He had whispered a small celebratory “yes!” in excitement before he was aware that the driver next to him could see into the car through the window.

Goodnight my Ace girlfriend. Jong Kook replied before he hummed to Busker Busker’s “Cherry Blossom Ending” on the rest of the journey back home. That night, the SpartAce couple possible had the best night’s sleep in a long time, both with a smile on their face.

 

The morning came too quick for Ji Hyo as she hit her phone to turn off the incessant alarm. She groaned as she rolled over to get out of bed before she began to get ready. Both Hye Min and Hong Da were ill and on holiday and trusted Ji Hyo to do her own make – up, albeit it reluctantly. The only condition was that it was just subtle – which was good seeing as Ji Hyo was informed that today;s filming could involve water – so Ji Hyo opted to highlight her eyes and leave it there. She was in the midst of putting of her eyeliner when her phone chirped at a text.

Morning beautiful. I’ll be ready with your coffee before filming. Ji Hyo instantly smiled widely as she thought and agonised about what she should reply with. She didn’t want something that showed excited she was yet she didn’t want to appear as being too cold.

On the other side of the Han River, Jong Kook anxiously waited by his phone as he had just finished his protein shake. He almost jumped out of his seat when his phoned pinged. Yet his smile quickly turned into a frown as he read the reply.

Morning handsome. Ok.

“”Ok.” Is that all? Not even a small “thank you” or “I can’t wait to see you?”” Jong Kook rambled on, his high tone appearing as he was flustered. “I mean I’m not asking for anything ual of course, we’ve just started dating, but ok is just…” He trailed off when he checked a message from his manager, telling him to be outside in 15 minutes. It was then that a black cloud hung above his head as realisation hit – he had accidentally sent a voice recording to Ji Hyo. Of. Him. Voicing his opinion. It wasn’t that he was angry, more that he was expecting more and had purely said what he said in a joking manner. “Oh shucks.”  Jong Kook muttered, wondering how he was going to possibly explain this to her when he saw her. He thought about the possibility of playing I off as a joke but remembered that ji Hyo was one of the few people that knew when he was lying, almost scarily. His mind then wandered to the possibility of her not seeing it as she was getting ready and he prayed that luck was on his side.

 

Ji Hyo arrived, confused yet amused at the voice message she had received, to find her boyfriend holding one iced americano in his right hand. It wouldn’t have been too apparent to others that his left hand was in his pocked, probably fiddling with some coins, change from the coffee, a sign of his nervousness. Or how Jong Kook kept swallowing his saliva, another sign of his nervousness. Not to mention the most obvious thing, his eyes, which spoke volumes to an actress like Ji Hyo, which radiated uneasiness and apprehensiveness. Ji Hyo chuckled to herself – it was rare to see Jong Kook so nervous and submissive in front of others.

“Morning Ji Hyo – yah.” He smiled, in his mind it being subtle. In Ji Hyo’s eyes however, she could see right through him.

“Morning oppa, thank you.” She replied, taking the drink from Jong Kook’s outstretched hand. She saw relief wash over his face.

“Did you sleep well.”
“It was one of the best sleeps that I’ve had in years.” Ji Hyo grinned, giving Jong Kook a look that made him smile, knowing that he was the reason for it.

“You look beautiful today.” He complimented earnestly, causing Ji Hyo to scoff.

“Hardly. I had to rush my make – up because I was texting you!” Jong Kook gulped, maybe she was going to mention the voice message.

“Urmmm gow?

“I had to stop to reply to you.”
“Ahhhhh Jong Kook and Ji Hyo! You ready to get your mics?” The PD shouted over to the pair, who both nodded in response. They both started to walk over to get his mic.

“Oh oppa?” Ji Hyo stopped whilst they both walked.

“Hmm?”
“I’d never say anything ual this early on in our relationship… Unless you wanted me to.” Ji Hyo winked as she sauntered off, leaving Jong Kook swallowing hard.
“Damn it.” He muttered.

Filming began shortly after, and much to Jong Kook’s displeasure, there were 2 guests. Younger male guests. Minho and Siwon to be exact. Even worse, partnered with Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo could see Jong Kook’s teeth grind together and his jaw locked as his posture stiffened when the PD announced the teams. Once the slate had been cut and everyone was mingling, Ji Hyo used the time to take a phone call from her brother regarding her father’s upcoming birthday and Jong Kook conveniently taking the same time for a phone call… to no – one.

“Hyung, did you see hyung’s stance when the teams were announced?” Kwang Soo whispered to his hyungs, as they all gathered together, watching both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo suspiciously from afar.

“I thought he was going to kill me.” Minho muttered.

“Me too.” Siwon agreed, nodding his head.

“In all the years that I’ve known Kook Jong – ie, I’ve never seen him so jealous.” Jae Suk spoke. Of course he had seen Jong Kook jealous before with his old girlfriends, however he had never seen it to this extent for just a crush, making Jae Suk wonder if they were already in a relationship.

“They’re not… you know?” Suk Jin wondered out loud. The rest of the males all looked at each other as a silence overtook them, wondering if something that was seemingly impossible became possible. After a few seconds of silence, coupled with looking at each as they searched for answers, a chorus of no’s were heard. Various reasons were stated which ranged from Jong Kook not having the guts to their loyaty and that the members would be the first to know if they were truly dating. Minho and Siwon stated that Jong Kook had stated numerous times that he only saw Ji Hyo like a sister and nothing more. In the midst of that, Ha Ha stood awkwardly wearing a fake smile knowing that he would be dead either way and that he would just have to decide whom by – the members for not telling them as soon as he knew or Jong Kook – hyung for telling them. And then of course there was Ji Hyo – arguably the scariest.

Whilst the members were trying to decide if the relationship was official or not, Jong Kook was talking to Ji Hyo behind a shed, expressing his dissatisfaction.

“I can’t change it oppa.” Ji Hyo sighed, equally wishing to be paired up with her newly formed boyfriend as well. Ever since they were paired as chasers early on when Running Man had just started, the PDs hardly put them together by themselves – mainly due to the members’ complaints, citing that it was unfair and Suk Jin that he wanted to not look so pathetic in front of his son.

“I know.” Jong Kook pouted, causing Ji Hyo to step closer whilst holding his hands.

“Why don’t you come round mine after filming for tea?”
“Sounds perfect.” Jong Kook whispered as they hugged each other tightly. The pair made their way back to the other members, chapping about nonessential things. “I’m not responsible for my actions later if we have a physical mission.” Jong Kook half – heartedly threatened. Of course it was a joke – he was fond of both Minho and Siwon but his jealousy was not to be messed with. And the fact that he didn’t want to lose in front of his girlfriend.

The group settled down by the time the two aces, who only received suspicions as being an official couple from other members asides from Ha Ha, made their way over as filming re – commenced. It was relatively easy, teams were battling it out not to be last to avoid punishment over three missions. It had eventually come down to protect – the – queen name – tag elimination race, where teams had to protect a designated member. Teams were already told who said member would be, and it had eventually come down to Ji Hyo and Jong Kook’s team, like fate.

“This isn’t fair! We have to oust Jong Kook – hyung!” Siwon protested, much to Jong Kook’s amusement. Jong Kook however, kept locking eyes with Ji Hyo with two thoughts running through his mind – he could either lose so Ji Hyo wouldn’t have to face the punishment or he could win. He had overheard how it involved an abandoned warehouse with waterguns last week.

Whilst he was thinking, Minho decided to try and attack Jong Kook whilst Siwon stayed back, opting to protect Ji Hyo. A fierce match had ensured between the two boys – both with good physical fitness and stamina. However, age… not so much. Jong Kook watched Ji Hyo out of the corner of his eye, watching how tense she was, wanting it to be over quickly. Finally, after what seemed liked forever, Minho managed to rip off his name tag, much to the delight of Siwon but left Ji Hyo feeling bittersweet. Jong Kook feigned annoyance at losing but was ssmiling inside as Ji Hyo winked at him secretly. He couldn’t express so much but her wink, a small gesture, made losing on purpose not feel so bad.

They wrapped up filming shortly after as Ji Hyo’s team each received a gold ring, which only added to her ever-growing collection. Jong Kook and his team were immediately taken to the punishment place by car as Jong Kook had agreed to stop by Ji Hyo’s place after. Minho stopped to talk to him quickly before he left.

“Hyung, you lost purpose right?”
“N… I… urm… I worked out a lot yesterday so I’m tired.” He stammered, which only made his lie so obvious.

“I was in the gym all day yesterday.” Minho eyed suspiciously. And suddenly it all made sense – the times when Jong Kook seemed distracted at the gym, earlier when Jong Kook got jealous of him and Siwon being on the same team as her and many more “Hyung, you’re going out with Ji Hyo – noona right?”

Jong Kook couldn’t reply – momentarily stunned – as he tried to think of any lie that he could come up with. Yet he came back with nothing. Nada.

“It’s okay hyung. Secret’s safe with me.” Minho promised, loving the situation in which Jong Kook was flustered. It had been hard to approach him at first, with Jong Kook being such an influential and respected sunbae but their mutual love for exercise and the gym made it easy for the age and generation gap to be overcome. They kept in contact semi – regularly with Minho asked for opinions regarding music and Jong Kook checking how his hoobae was. Thinking about it, it had always been Ji Hyo who managed to keep a stubborn Jong Kook in line when she came to the gym occasionally, much to the amusement and amazement of others. She had been the one who could make him so happy, making his eyes twinkle whenever she was around or when she was spoken about. It had been her who allowed Jong Kook to get things off his chest properly instead of bottling things up.

Jong Kook sighed. “Thanks Minho – yah.” He patted Minho’s shoulder before being taken into the ca. in all honesty, he couldn’t care less about his punishment – whether it was getting dunked in water or going through a haunted house – all he wanted to do was go to Ji Hyo’s house and spend time with her.

Ji Hyo on the other hand, had quickly finished confirming with the PD about her schedule in Jeju – do, before going straight home, only leaving with rash goodbyes. She wanted to get ready for Jong Kook but apparently everyone had the idea of going to Ilsan at night, making the journey half an hour longer than it usually took. After being dropped off by her manager she immediately ran straight into the shower, using it as a chance to wash away her stress. It wasn’t too bad, just mainly stress from filming and the long hours which resulted in a lack of sleep. It was something that Ji Hyo had grown accustomed to, although she didn’t like it. She had just got out of the shower and ready to put on some moisturiser when the doorbell sounded.

 

--------------------------

Word Count – 3955 (3903 without the lyrics)

A/N – Kim – ssi’s – in this context, it refers to Jong Kook’s surnames. Like saying “Smith’s don’t get jealous”.

How have you been Runners? I managed to squeeze in one more chapter since last time I updated. I’ll continue to write more during my holiday when I have time although I still need to revise for exams in May. But, good news is that after my exams I’ll be free to write! I can’t promise that I’ll update every week due to other commitments that I have but I’ll do my best to update more regularly then. Thank you for your patience so far and look forward to then 😊

So this next bit is quite long so you can skip it if you want. I’m guessing you’ve heard about adding two additional members to Running Man? My honest opinion is, I’ve gotten a couple of asks on Tumblr about my opinion, that I, like many other people, watch the show for the chemistry between the members. I can’t hate the 2 new members for no reason – I have no reason to – but I do think that they’ll change the whole 7012 thing. I am annoyed at SBS for advertising and emphasising the concept of 7012 for the past few episodes and then suddenly adding 2 new members. On top of that, Ji Hyo being the only female in the cast is one of her biggest strengths and reason why she is loved so I don’t think adding a second female will help that. Like she’s perfect for keeping the men in line because of her personality and the men respect and like that and so adding another member isn’t the best option in my opinion. I understand that this is in an attempt to raise ratings but honestly, to me, the problem doesn’t lie between the members but lies within the production staff and the writers – the ideas for missions and games are either too repetitive or too predictable and thus becomes boring. I understand you can’t do the name tag elimination every week – the member’s health is the most important and I’d hate for them to get injured or sick – but having it once in a while isn’t going to hurt. Change the types of mission that you do – sometimes doing something simple is the best method. Whether that reverts back to old spy games or simple 1 vs X these games were fun because it wasn’t so scripted and predictable – it really showcased their relationship and that was what people loved to watch. I will give the new members a chance but I can’t guarantee that I’ll enjoy it or watch further.

Another thing that has caught my attention is Gary getting married. I honestly don’t care what he does in his personal life – he’s old enough to know what he wants to do in life – and so honestly don’t understand why people are annoyed with him because “he’s meant to be with Ji Hyo”. Like, it was forced as it was, even they said it themselves, and honestly, if you’re a true fan then you respect their decision as long as it makes them happy.

Rant(ish) over! Have fun and until next time Runners!