Chapter 18

Delaying the Inevitable

Song of the Day – “Sax” – Fleur East

I need a stay up brother with a James brown soul
The type of red hot love that got me freezin' cold
Say you can go all night the way you lay that track
But if you wanna hear me sing you better play that sax
Give it to me!

 

“Damn it.” Ji Hyo muttered, stuck at what to do as she frantically searched around for clothes of any sort and cursed when she remembered that most were in the wash. She tried to search in her wardrobe when the bell rang again and sighed as she went to open it, knowing how impatient Jong Kook could get. In her mind however, she didn’t want to give off the wrong thoughts – a woman answering the door wrapped in a towel just screamed .

“Ji Hyo-“ Jong Kook greeted happily, only to be cut off.

“Close your eyes!” She commanded as she opened the door partially, making JK confused. Maybe it was a surprise? Or maybe she was going to give him a present? He obeyed as anticipation built.

“Why?” He laughed as he was guided into the apartment.

“I’ve just got out of the shower and I’m in a towel.” She huffed.

“I wouldn’t mind seeing.” He smirked, earning a slap from Ji Hyo as he was seated.

“ert.” She muttered back.

“You can’t call your own boyfriend a ert.” He defended, chuckling.

“Whatever. Stay here, I’ll be out in a bit.” Ji Hyo left to her room as Jong Kook grinned, finding the whole situation amusing. In all honesty, being a man, he wouldn’t have minded so much about seeing Ji Hyo in a towel, but he also respected her privacy.

“I’ve seen you in a bikini. A towel isn’t going to be much different.” He shouted, remembering the time when they had a water mission so Ji Hyo wore a bikini underneath her top. However, she had forgotten to her top out of her bag whilst getting changed and had asked Jong Kook, as a last resort mind, to bring it to her. He wasn’t her first choice as her bag also contained her unmentionables and feminine products – but was left with no choice as her manager had left and her coordis weren’t present at the time. Jong Kook of course was confused yet compliant yet he gave it to her without prying through her bag too much. In fact, he was more surprised to know that she was menstruating at that time, judging by her feminine products and respected her for still filming and running. He knew how much it hurt from her nieces who used to call him to buy painkillers on the way home when they were in their teens. They still did now, if necessary, but the pain was more tolerable now that they were older. He had rarely seen Ji Hyo complain, due to a high pain tolerance, except the time when her cramps were really bad and he had mistakenly overheard her on the phone to her manager to bring some pain relief urgently. More upsetting was the fact that she had to hide it and barely touched her food during lunch due to the pain and then leaving with rash goodbyes at the end of the day.

“We’ve just started dating.” Ji Hyo lightly chastised as appeared from her room, fully dressed, rubbing in the last bit of lotion. Clothes apparently didn’t help Jong Kook much – a tight fitting tank top and shorts left too much skin and the water droplets from her hair trickled down her shoulder onto her white top. Jong Kook gulped as craned her neck, exposing more skin, before she hung her towel to dry.

“Want anything to drink?” She asked innocently as she went into the kitchen. However, the batting of the eyelids didn’t make it so innocent to Jong Kook who just about managed to reply weakly stating that he wanted some green tea. Jong Kook had just brushed away his impure thoughts after chastising himself when Ji Hyo came back, two teas in her hand.

“What was your punishment oppa?” She asked, curious.

“Walking around a haunted house.” He shrugged nonchalantly. Jong Kook had very few fears except hurting and losing those he loved and cherished the most.

“Yet your hair is wet because?” She nodded to Jong Kook’s damp hair. He had managed to get most of it dry on the way over but it was still noticeable for anyone to see.

“They squirted water guns. You’d have still hated it though.”
“Why’s that?”

“They threw plastic bugs at us.” Jong Kook recollected as Ji Hyo’s face scrunched up at the image of it.

“But my boyfriend being badass wasn’t scared?”
“Never.” He smiled, still finding being called Ji Hyo’s boyfriend weird. He suspected that it would take some getting used to as well. Maybe it was because he had a crush on her for so long or maybe, just maybe, had dreamed about having a family with her in the near future.

“So he doesn’t need a hug of any sorts?” Ji Hyo teased, laughing at Jong Kook’s pout.

“He does.” He whined in protest.

“How so?”
“He’s cold.” Jong Kook lied.

“It was reported as the hottest day today.” Ji Hyo deadpanned. Luck definitely wasn’t on Jong Kook’s side today.

“He had to watch his girlfriend be with other men today. Younger men.” He sulked with Ji Hyo laughing opposite him.

“I can’t believe that you’re still jealous over that.”
“Hey! It was hard ok! Minho and Siwon are two very popular and handsome men and I’m old… like my nephews and nieces keep reminding me.” He mumbled, but of course Ji Hyo overheard.

“Oh oppa.” She scooted closer to him. Jong Kook was normally a man who kept his emotions in check and rarely let himself be vulnerable. But Ji Hyo was one of the few people, asides from his hyung and his mother, that Jong Kook had felt comfortable talking to. “I lied when I said that I liked Jung Nam oppa the most rom Turbo you know.” She said, making reference to the week before, making Ji Hyo’s eyes snap up. “You were always my favourite oppa. And I don’t date you because of your body and face – that is a factor mind you – but I date you because of your personality. Like you said, you’re not that much older than me. And plus, as much as I may listen to Shinee and Super Junior from time to time, dating them would be weird – they’re even younger than Kwang Soo!”
“Thanks Ji Hyo – yah… but I never said anything about the body.” Jong Kook smirked, knowing that he caught her out. Ji Hyo blushed in response whilst she tried to come up with something to justify herself. She was not meant to say what she said and blamed Jong Kook… he was the one that made her so comfortable that she was able just say things without thinking which obviously didn’t work in her favour this time round.

“I’m kidding Ji Hyo – yah. It’s fine.” Jong Kook retracted seeing Ji Hyo embarrassed. In fact Ji Hyo’s slip of the tongue was a huge confidence booster to him, something that made him sure that despite being older, Ji Hyo liked him for him.

The pair settled on watching a film, although they were more distracted by each other’s close proximity rather than Train to Busan. Small talk was made about anything with Jong Kook giving a massage to loosen the knots in her shoulders. Jong Kook sighed internally, knowing that Ji Hyo liked to push herself and recollected the time when Kwang Soo and himself had a conversation a couple of days ago.


“Hyung, you’re close with Ji Hyo noona right?” His dongsaeng had asked during a phone call.

“Yeah I guess. She’s like my sister.” Jong Kook told the white lie.

“Can you take care of her hyung? She’s filming 14 hour days and she barely gets enough sleep. I’m worried about her. She fainted a couple of years ago from over – exhaustion and then she slept for two whole days to recuperate.” It was those times when he realised how close the two were. Sure they bickered like any other sibling, more so during filming, but they would always take care of each other after. Kwang Soo would often confide in Ji Hyo for advice with filming or just life and vice versa. Unknown to any of the members, including Jong Kook, Kwang Soo was the one that Ji Hyo had asked for a place to stay when she had fought with her mum and temporarily left the house.

“I’ll look after her Kwang Soo – yah. I promise.”

 

“What are you thinking about?” Ji Hyo asked, bringing him back to reality.

“Nothing much.”
“I can hear your brain cogs working from here.”
“I was just thinking about you.”
“Me?”
“How the most beautiful woman in the world agreed to be my girlfriend.”
Ji Hyo turned round. “I honestly though that you only saw me as a younger sister.”
“I did at first but then my feelings grew.”
“This would have been so much easier if this was done all those years ago huh?” Ji Hyo smiled as she re – positioned herself so she had her back against Jong Kook, both of them sitting together with their legs stretched out, as if they were in a bathtub.

“Don’t remind me. It only reminds of the things we could have done by now.” Jong Kook grumbled, holding her hands as he leant his chin on her shoulder.

“Oh yeah? Like what?”
“We could have taken my care and gone for long drives, go to Namsan Tower, go to the beach, I’d have held your hands ages ago, we would have gone to watch the sunrise…” He whispered into her ear before backhugging her together. Ji Hyo hummed in content as she loved that she had so many things to look forward to.

“We can still do those things oppa. Later is better than never.”
“I know.” Jong Kook agreed.

“What are you up to tomorrow?”
“I’m meeting Kwang Soo to get his sister’s birthday present. You’re filming right?”
“Uh huh.”
“What time?”
“Late night filming so I have to be on set by 9 at the latest.”
“Why don’t you come with me and Kwang Soo then? It won’t take too long but I still don’t understand why he came to me for a present for the opposite . I only have a hyung.”

“Might be because you’re feminine.” She teased, leaning further into her boyfriend’s chest. His muscular chest provided a great pillow at times although she loved it more as she felt secure and protected. With Jong Kook, her insecurities were present yet miniscule and her accomplishments great. His arms provided a sense of security, knowing that he would always be there for her no matter how great or badly ratings turned out to be in each drama that she filmed.

“I am hardly feminine.” Jong Kook rebutted.

“Your own mother stated that you’re more like the youngest daughter in the household… on national television.” She snickered.

“Don’t remind me.” He grumbled much to Ji Hyo’s pleasure. His femininity however was one of the main reasons why she fell for him. The fact that he had the image of a tiger but then was gentle like a lamb when he was with the people he loved and treasured was something that Ji Hyo loved. The fact that he’d willingly take a bullet for said people and the fact that he’d do anything to protect if the situation arose was a testament to his loyalty. He was the person that would pick up the phone early in the morning, albeit half awake, to one’s worries and concern. However, his nice personality would change to those who had hurt those he loved. He had personally walked his niece to school when she was being bullied and spoken to the bully’s parents, demanding an apology. Needless to say that the bully stopped after that. He had argued with the director when Ji Hyo collapsed from over – exertion when she filmed her drama in 2011. He had been horrified to find that her filming hours were ridiculously long and hardly any shade was provided when filming in the relentless sun that peaked to over 30 degrees. At this time, Jong Kook’s feelings towards Ji Hyo were strictly platonic, as he decided to concede towards Gary, but it was probably better that way… otherwise Jong Kook would have gone through the roof. Of course everything was done behind Ji Hyo’s back, knowing that her disapproval at the knowledge that someone else fought her corner.

The night was then filled with small talk as the film became neglected. Ji Hyo could feel her eyes getting heavier and heavier and fought back the urge to fall asleep right there and then. It was then Jong Kook went to wash the cups up, with no complaints from Ji Hyo. He whistled various songs as he washed up, taking no longer than 5 minutes when he walked back into the room.

“Right I’d better –“ he stopped and smiled at the image in front of him. Ji Hyo was lying in a foetal position, eyes closed and fast asleep. Small snores peeped from and Ji Hyo’s petite frame made her look vulnerable. It was similar to when Ji Hyo had phoned him in the middle of the night when her douchebag boyfriend had broken up with her. Jong Kook’s heart twinged hearing her cry and insisting that she was fine despite obviously not being fine.

Jong Kokok walked over before lifting her in his arms and carrying. His heartbeat increased at the close proximity, and slightly more so at the fact he could, in theory, see down her shirt if her wanted to, but more so as she leant her head on his shoulders. He had placed her on the bed and was putting on his jacket when a small hand caught his wrist.

“Stay.” Ji Hyo murmured sleepily. Jong Kook was normally a man who took things slow in a relationship but it was something in Ji Hyo’s voice that made him comply, taking off his jacket and slipping into the other side of the bed. He stretched out his arm which Ji Hyo used as a pillow as she traced small patterns on his chest.

“Night oppa.” She whispered groggily.

“Night beautiful.” He whispered back before he let sleep succumb him.

 

 

-------------------------------------

Word Count – 2389

 

Hi Runners! I got back from Korea safely 😊 But I have exams until the 18th May so I’m busy revising. This will probably be my last update until then because I really have to pass XD

 

I watched the latest episode of Running Man that aired last week and I have to say that it’s refreshing – not necessarily the cast but the concept. The idea of a global race. That being said I hope it doesn’t die down. However the members does need to be talked about. I can kind of see from on – screen as well as behind – the – scenes photos that Ji Hyo really seems to take care of So Min. I can really see Ji Hyo and So Min getting along and confiding in each other – after all, 7 years alone can take its toll. Se Chan… he seems pretty bright but I’m still undecided.

 

I also heard that Gary got married. Congrats to him! I really hope that people stop forcing Ji Hyo and Gary now… it really seems too forced and even they’ve pointed out that it’s more just a sibling relationship. Ji Hyo will take care of her own relationship herself – she’s a capable adult. I also heard that Gary changed his number? Or at least he didn’t reply? Honestly, I’m sure he has his own reasons and that he’ll get in contact with them by his own methods. They all seem to get along even after he left the show.

 

Until next time!