Chapter 15

Delaying the Inevitable

Song of the Day – BTS “Spring Day”

어떤 어둠도
어떤 계절도
영원할 없으니까

(Because no darkness

No season

Can last forever)

 

 

“So?” Dong Wook asked as he naturally took Ji Hyo’s cup out of her hand before pouring half of it into an empty cup before giving it back to her as he sat down on an empty chair. Ji Hyo scoffed as she began to drink her now half – empty cup of coffee as she drew a chair and sat down opposite him.
“I told you the gist yesterday.” She shrugged nonchalently.

“Hey! I’ve had to hear about hyung for the past 3 years! I deserve more than that!”
Ji Hyo chuckled in response as she sighed, memories of last night flooding her mind. “It was amazing Dong Wook – ah. The whole setting was so romantic and genuinely made me feel special. It’s cliché but he makes me feel like a goddess Dong Wook – ah. The way he confessed was so romantic to the point that my eyes welled up.” Ji Hyo babbled on making Dong Wook smile. Although he teased Ji Hyo for bragging on about Jong Kook endlessly, he couldn’t deny the effect it had on her. She smiled a lot more, even before they used to date, and she had expressed countless times how she felt safe, knowing that she could call him for anything.

“How did he confess anyway? I’ve always been curious about hyung’s confession style.”

Ji Hyo smiled again and began to explain the entire day, not missing out any minute detail, irrespective of how trivial it seemed to Dong Wook. Dong Wook, the good best friend he was, sat there listening to Ji Hyo talk about how Jong Kook’s romantic confession made her smile widely and had allowed her to feel truly beautiful. As he sat opposite Ji Hyo he witnessed her smile get wider and wider as he talked about her boyfriend, her eyes that sparkled which was a reflection of how she felt inside whilst talking about Jong Kook and how Ji Hyo would unconsciously bite her lip as she continued to tell Dong Wook everything that happened last night, including the countless number of petals, the song and their talk afterwards.

“I guess I should get some tips for confessing from hyung huh?”
“Do you have someone to confess to?” Ji Hyo asked, as she showed interest. Dong Kook merely chuckled in response in which Ji Hyo smiled knowingly. “You should confess soon – you don’t want to keep her waiting for 7 years like me.”

“I won’t Ji Hyo – yah. I’ll let you know about it as things hopefully progress.” Dong Wook promised.

“That’s almost a given as your best friend.” Ji Hyo chuckled.

“Ji Hyo – yah?” Dong Wook suddenly asked, wringing his sleeves.  “When today’s scenes air, you don’t think Jong Kook hyung will kill me?”

Ji Hyo merely chuckled in response as she looked at Dong Wook’s genuinely scared expression. “He knows it’s just a drama but I’ll talk to him if it makes you feel at ease.”

“Thanks Ji Hyo – yah. I don’t fancy being beaten to death fuelled by jealousy.”
“But Dong Wook – ah, I am worried about filming the honeymoon scenes though. None of the staff have any idea about my relationship with Jong Kook oppa and as much as I love you in a platonic way, filming a honeymoon scene just feels so…” Ji Hyo trailed off, expressing her nervousness to her friend.
“Forced?”
“Yeah.” Ji Hyo sighed as Dong Wook patted her hand.

“Don’t think of everybody else. It’s just you and me when we start filming and then you have a date with hyung.”
“Thanks Dong Wook – ah. That surprisingly helped.”

“Why the surprise?” Dong Wook chuckled. “Anyway, you can think of me as hyung, although I am more handsome.”
“Yah!” Ji Hyo slapped Dong Wook on the arm, making him laugh until the pain hit him, making his face contort itself. “I hope you don’t hit him otherwise that should be considered abuse.” He threw in his last comment before darting out of Ji Hyo’s reach as they both made their way towards the set. It had put both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo’s mind at ease – Ji Hyo was worried now that she had a boyfriend about filming such scenes and Dong Wook was relieved to know that he wouldn’t be beaten to a pulp by Jong Kook.

Filming after that was relatively easy for the two with scenes all being shot under 5 takes. Although the close proximity of two best friends pretending to be lovers played a part in them feeling some sort of awkwardness, the fact that Ji Hyo had to do aegyo was even worse for Ji Hyo.

From the first look at the script for the episode, Ji Hyo cringed as she read that it would completely be an ad – lib* meaning that she would have to choose what to do. As she was deciding what to do, Dong Wook sauntered over with a face filled with ease as he chuckled.

“Wow… never thought I’d see the day that Ji Hyo does aegyo.”

“Shut up.” She glared at him.

“I’m kidding. Looking forward to it.” He smiled, sticking out his tongue for extra emphasis, before getting ready to shoot.

“Oh whatever.” Ji Hyo sighed as she put her script down as they started to shoot. The silence on set made it ten times worse, and doing it opposite Dong Wook was even worse, if that was possible.

 

“No jagiya*.” Hong Joo refuted as he pretended to go back to sleep as Eun Ji pleaded to go to the beach.

“Jagiya” Eun Ji whined and then proceeded to sing the confession song* to which Hong Joo smiled as he pulled her on top of him, Eun Ji now above him.

“Reminds me of when you confessed.” Hong Joo smirked.

“So beach?” Eun Ji asked.

“Go on then.” He agreed as Eun Ji squealed before giving him a peck on the lips as she went to get changed.


“Cut!” The director yelled as he confirmed that it was an ok cut. “Ji Hyo – ssi. You’re aegyo was the highlight.” He praised Ji Hyo who was hiding from embarrassment. “Let’s start shooting again in 15.”

“If you weren’t going out with hyung and even though you’re my best friend, I would have fallen for you.” Dong Wook chuckled as he approached Ji Hyo.

“Don’t. It was the most embarrassing moment of my life.” Ji Hyo covered her face with her hands.

“You’ll be thankful if we get good viewership ratings because of this scene.” Dong Wook patted her back as both of them went to their separate dressing rooms.

As Ji Hyo got ready, she scowled at the minimal clothing that the stylist had laid out.

“You’ve got to be kidding me?” She stated as she looked at her hair stylist and make – up artist who looked at her sheepishly. She sighed, she didn’t mind the fact that she would wear a bikini, she just felt insecure. However, the biggest reason was that she was worried how Jong Kook would react. She was sure that he would understand that it was part of her work and that the drama required it of her, but she was also worried about how he’d react with it being shown to millions of people when it aired in about two weeks’ time.

“What’s on your mind unni?” Her hair stylist asked as she applied some more hair spray.

“I’m worried about how oppa will react when this scene airs.” Ji Hyo told her, as she sighed, earning a small chuckled from her coordi.

“My advice would be to talk to him beforehand so he doesn’t get shocked when it airs.” She advised as Ji Hyo ate some fruit to recharge, and avoid falling to sleep throughout the rest of filming for the day.

“But it’s still so early on so I can’t predict how he’d react.” Ji Hyo voiced her concerns.

“Exactly, so it could be better than you think it will be. Just talk to him one day, maybe later?”
“I’ll see.” Ji Hyo sighed, she was normally decisive but for some reason she couldn’t reach a decision with regards to Jong Kook.

After she changed into her bikini and over – sized shirt, she inhaled deeply as she walked towards the set, ignoring the looks she got from the staff. It wasn’t a look of lust but more a look of surprise as it differed a lot from her image on Running Man.

Ji Hyo made her way over to where Dong Wook was looking over his script who proceeded to smirk in appreciation of her beauty. As a friend, and strictly platonically, he had always admired Ji Hyo’s natural beauty and the fact that she didn’t care about upholding her image. In fact, that was one of the reasons why he admired and respected her. But wearing nothing but a bikini and an over – sized shirt on top also meant that he knew what men would think, being a man himself. So he had asked the director to politely kick staff members who didn’t need to be there so that Ji Hyo would feel more comfortable.

“Where’s everyone?” Ji Hyo asked as she sat down on the bed next to him.

“I told everyone who wasn’t needed to leave – thought you’d be more comfortable.”

“Thanks Dong Wook – ah.” She smiled in thanks. It was at those moments, and plenty others of course, that she was glad to have a friend like Dong Wook. She felt safe knowing that she had 7 brothers – including her Running Man family, Dong Wook and her real younger brother.

“Dong Wook – ah. You’re a guy right?”
“I hope so otherwise I’ve been living as the wrong gender for 35 years.” He laughed.

“Funny.”
“But to answer your question, yes I am.”
“If your girlfriend had a scene where she’s in minimal clothing, what would our reaction be?”
“Jong Kook hyung huh?”
“Yeah. You know how loyal and protective he is and it’s still just so early into our relationship.”

Dong Wook turned to face her as he spoke, “I think hyung would understand. He’s also done kiss scenes before so he’d know that you were doing this for work purposes and nothing else. He might be protective for a couple of days leading up to when it’s broadcasted and days after that, but if you talk to him then he’d understand. I can’t really see hyung as being the irrational obsessive type.”

“Thanks Dong Wook – ah.” She smiled as she felt a weight being lifted off her shoulders. It wasn’t that she didn’t trust her coordi, she had been friends with them for years, but hearing it from a male perspective really calmed her down.

“You two ready to film?” The director came over and asked, both of them nodding in response.

 

“I can’t believe you’re so excited to go to the beach.” Hong Joo chuckled as he played on his phone whilst he layed on the bed, waiting for his wife to get ready.

“Of course I am. We’re on our honeymoon in the Maldives, why wouldn’t we go to the beach?” Eun Ji replied from the other side of the bathroom door. For some reason, she was adamant that Hong Joo wasn’t allowed to see her changing even though it was something that he had witnessed countless times.

“I don’t know love, but if that’s what you want. How long are you going to – “ He trailed off as Eun Ji came into view. She stood in the doorframe in her over – sized shirt which gave a peek to her red bikini which hung to her sides perfectly. Her hair was styled simply yet elegantly with waves with what was assumed to be waterproof mascara which highlighted her eyes.

“What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?” Eun Ji spoke, voice laced with flirtation and eyes almost predatory as she sauntered over to get her bag.

“Urm no. You look – I mean my wife is a goddess.” Hong Koo stated, making Eun Ji chuckle as she grabbed her bag before walked out towards the front door.

“Aren’t you coming to put sunscreen on me when we get to the beach?” Ji Hyo taunted, making Hong Joo rush out with no hesitation.

 

“Ok cut! Thank you for your hard work everyone. Let’s get ready to shoot the last scene for today.” The director yelled as Dong Wook rushed to give his hoodie that he had worn before shooting started as the director came over to them grinning widely.

“How is it you two aren’t having any NGs* today?”

“We’re professionals.” Dong Wook chuckled.

“At least I’ve got an hour before Soo Kyung comes.” The director chuckled. It was both a blessing and a curse that filming went by so quickly – on one hand the shoot had gone by so quickly and effortlessly but on the other hand he had nothing to do for an hour.

“True that.”

“Both of you should get changed.” The director dismissed as they did both that. The next scene was relatively simple – just a newly married couple shopping and having dinner together. It was settled that the beach scenes would be recorded in Jeju Island which they would be going to in two weeks time. Of course, they had wished to go to the Maldives but the budget hadn’t permitted them. So they chose for a nice beach in Jeju in the summer which would double up but create the same effect. Plus, it would coincide nicely with Running Man’s filming in Jeju that was scheduled just days apart.

Ji Hyo was glad and relieved to see a comfortable hoodie and jeans laid out in her dressing room as her coordis got to work on touching up her make up that was exposed to the harsh studio lights whilst hairspray was applied to her hair to keep her waves in place.

“You and Dong Wook are on fire today.” Hye Min, her make – up artist chuckled. She knew that when Ji Hyo worked, she always focused on doing things fast so she could get home and sleep but it had never happeneded this fast. “I was going to meet some friends after work if you want to come?”
“Are there guys?” Hong Da, her hairstylist, asked. She had just recently broken up with her boyfriend so looked for opportunities to go out instead of staying at home.

“Yes.” Hye Min nodded.

“Then count me in. I need some soju.” Hong Da grumbled as she finished the hairspray and proceeded to sit next to Ji Hyo.

“Unni?” Hye Min asked as she turned to Ji Hyo as she put on her hoodie.

“No can do. I’ve already got plans.” Ji Hyo lightly refused.

“Jong Kook oppa huh?” Hong Da teased, as she looked up from her phone, making Ji Hyo blush.

“None of your business.” Ji Hyo mockingly chastised causing the girls to laugh before Ji Hyo made her way onto the set.

The last scene of Ji Hyo’s day was relatively simple but the ad – libs left both Ji Hyo and Dong Wook being in a fit of giggles which resulted in 2 NGs. Yet the director said nothing and filming wrapped up comfortably in 30 minutes. As Ji Hyo took her make – up off and changed her clothes, her coordis leaving first to meet their friends, Ji Hyo bumped into Dong Wook who was presumably waiting for his manager to come and collect him.

“Going home to see hyung?” Dong Wook teased.

“Don’t you start. I’ve already got it from the girls.” Ji Hyo chuckeld.

“Have fun Ji Hyo – yah.”
“What about your girl?” Ji Hyo asked, intrigued.

“She’s not my girl. I just like her that’s all.”
“Just don’t leave it too long is my advice.”
“I’m not like hyung.” Dong Wook said.
“True.” Dong Wook nodded in agreement. “My boyfriend’s better looking than you.” Ji Hyo stated, causing Dong Wook’s smile to turn into a frown.

“No fair! You’re biased.” He whined, like a kid.

“Of course. And my manager’s here. See you tomorrow Dong Wook – ah!” Ji Hyo waved as she made her way into the car. Dong Wook shook his head but waved nevertheless. In truth, seeing Ji Hyo so happy made him smiled and often marvelled at the Jong Kook’s effect on her. To him however, there was one downfall – if Jong Kook was angry, he hated to see how angry Ji Hyo would be. He shuddered at the thought before making his way to his manager’s car.

The drive back to Ji Hyo’s apartment was filled with chats with her manager before Ji Hyo fell asleep listening to the radio. After being dropped off home and promising to wake up in time the next day, Ji Hyo went to get ready. Yet it was no more than 15 minutes when Jong Kook called as Ji Hyo stopped applying her foundation and smiled.

“Hello?”
“Ji Hyo – yah! I’m on my way so I’ll be there in about 15 minutes.” Jong Kook chirped happily. Ji Hyo on the other hand was not. Jong Kook’s words had sent her into a state of panic and she had really wished she could slow down time.

“But I’ve just started my make – up and I still need to –“

“Stop.” Jong Kook interrupted sternly. “You’re beautiful as you are so don’t worry about the make – up and as for your clothes just wear a nice dress. I’ve seen you at your worst when filming Running Man and Family Outing.” Jong Kook chuckled. It was true how he had seen Ji Hyo, who was easily woken up despite falling asleep so much, as soon as she woke up – hair dishevelled and eyes squinted. But he still found her to be beautiful. Truth be told, he admired the fact that Ji Hyo wore minimal make – up because it highlighted her beauty when she did wear it hence why he was always looked forward to the SBS Entertainment Awards at the end of the year so he could be pleasantly surprised.

“But oppa…” Ji Hyo whined.

“No buts. I’m coming soon so just be ready.”
“Urghh fine. But hang up.” She grumbled leaving Jong Kook to chuckle at her cuteness. It amused him how she never really cared about her image yet she cared now of all times.

“I –“ Jong Kook got cut off with the phone call hanging up as he chuckled in disbelief. To him, Ji Hyo was cute.

After hanging up on her boyfriend, Ji Hyo searched her wardrobe for something that would fit Jong Kook’s “smart” dress code for the evening. Of course Jong Kook’s words had made her feel touched, but she was also a woman – and woman always wanted to look good in front of their boyfriends. Coupled with her self – pride, Ji Hyo had no choice but to search through her wardrobe when she came across a dress that she thought was fitting for the occasion. She had never worn it before mind you, it was a present from her father to wear on special occasions yet she hadn’t found an occasion that would suit the dress, but decided it was perfect for the night. She changed into it before deciding on simple make – up that would only take a couple of minutes.

 

Jong Kook had stood outside Ji Hyo’s door for the past 10 minutes and had still not knocked. Honestly speaking he was a nervous wreck. He had been on dates before and had stood on stage in front of thousands of fans yet he was the most nervous that he had ever been. The idea that he was finally going on a date with Ji Hyo made him still pinch himself and he chastised himself for not doing this sooner when he got a call from her.

“Are you just going to stand outside my door and not come in?”
“Uh. Su – wait how’d you know?”
“Gut feeling. You know my passcode anyway. Let yourself in and I’ll be out in a minute.” Ji Hyo promptly hung up after and Jong Kook made his way into the apartment. Of course Ji Hyo had been to his many times but he had never been to hers – Ji Hyo was a private person – shown through her declining heartbeat at the mention of her house on an early episode of Running Man. The apartment had a warm feel to it with pictures of Ji Hyo’s family and friends being depicted in photo frames on the walls. The photo on top of the table near the door however caught his attention – it was a picture of the Running Man family one day after filming. All of the them were happy that filming had ended slightly earlier than expected so had all agreed to go out to eat together. Jong Kook’s eyes immediately darted to the end where he was hugging Ji Hyo tightly as he chuckled at the fond memory.

 

“All right. On 3 say kimchi*!” The PD* yelled as he counted. As all the other members smiled at the camera, Jong Kook couldn’t help but stare at Ji Hyo, mesmerised by how happy she was at that present moment in time. Little had he known that it was at that moment when the picture was taken.

 

And little had he known that Ji Hyo had framed that picture and put it by the door until now so she could look at it before she left everyday.

“Oppa, how do I look?” Ji Hyo asked bashfully as she emerged from her bedroom.

 

 

--------------------------------------

Word Count: 3608

A/N:*Ad – lib – ad libitum – from Latin. In the context of dramas and theatre, it refers to an actor/actress speaks through their character using words not found in the script. You see it a lot in dramas and variety shows.

Jagiya – equivalent of honey, sweetie etc.

Confession song – a popular display of aegyo to display someone’s love/affection to another person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0i_ycxUuVw – I couldn’t find one with English subtitles but if you search it you should be able to find the English translation of the lyrics.

NG (Shortened for Not Good) – used by directors to say that the scene isn’t satisfactory and it has to be shot again. You see it a lot in behind – the – scenes footage of Asian dramas.

Kimchi – traditional fermented Korean side dish usually made from cabbage. You will literally find this everywhere with every food. It’s always used when smiling for photos as opposed to “say cheese!”.

PD (Shorted for Production Designer/Director) – they’re in charge of the overall visual production of a TV show/film.

 

First off I apologise so much for my ridiculous lack of update. I’ve been bombarded with assignments and having personal problems with a friend of mine.

Secondly, please check out my Tumblr blog and make requests! I didn’t plan to write any more after this so depending on the amount of requests I’ll decide whether to continue writing or not.

Finally, I hope you are all ok and healthy! I can’t thank you guys enough for your support you give me even though I don’t deserve it. Let’s keep smiling together! Until next time Runners!