Chapter 30

Delaying the Inevitable

Morning beautiful. I’m at the office for last rehearsals for the concerts so I’ll be busy but I’ll visit you later. I’ll let you know if you should eat first or not. Just know that I’ll be thinking of you. Have a great day (preferably text me once an hour or so I know you haven’t tripped or something. Or if you’re going to sleep then let me know.)

 

The message had been sitting in Ji Hyo’s message inbox when she finally woke up – much past noon– and viewed her phone as soon as she woke up. A wide smile filled her face at a simple, and what some would view a trivial gesture, message from her boyfriend. She couldn’t help but feel empty for she had gotten accustomed waking up, or at least sleeping next to Jong Kook. Having the security of a man next to her – much less a muscular man with biceps so big that getting a wire hanger past them was an impossible feat – made her feel relaxed as if nothing could hurt her.  It was a lie to say that as she approached December, remnants of what had happened the previous year had played on her mind. The sense of betrayal that lingered over her when she woke up to the news articles that morning was quickly overcome with disappointment as confirmation came flooding in from her company. She had locked herself in her room, her only source of light being her phone that lit up constantly from people trying to reach her – other members, manager, company, family and friends. She had been nearly at her lowest then – wanting to avoid contact with anyone as much as possible. It was her brother who broke that, coming to hers with takeout food and alcohol as she cried on his shoulder before getting a nap, the first proper sleep she had since, before she bid farewell to him assuring him that she’d be fine. Jong Kook was the next person to come round hers – 3 in the morning after drinking with Ha Ha and Kwang Soo – drunk. No words were spoken between the two – as soon as Ji Hyo had opened the door Jong Kook immediately hugged her tightly as they stumbled onto her bed as soft tears fell before they fell asleep, spooning each other. Yet, more tears fell when Ji Hyo woke up to an empty bed and an empty apartment – Jong Kook having left as soon as he had woken up.

Under the warm and oversized comfort of her duvet, although she much preferred having Jong Kook’s snug arms round her, she composed her message back.

 

Morning my handsome Sparta. Enjoy rehearsals and make sure not to get injured. I hate seeing you hurt :( I doubt that I’ll trip but if it makes you feel better I’ll text you XD Be sure to let me know if you’re eating with me – I’ll make you something.

 

You’re up early?

 

Got stuff to do – pack, clean my house, look over lines.

 

Well enjoy, and send me messages – it gives me an excuse from Jung Nam – hyung and Mikey. Keep being beautiful.

 

 

Jong Kook smiled as he put down his phone.

“Why are you smiling so much?” Jung Nam asked him, noticing the youngers smile from across the room.

“Oh. N- nothing hyung.” He had jumped. Somehow, recently it had become more and more difficult to hide how happy he was.

“Sure?”
“Sure hyung.” A nervous chuckled escaped him however, completely contradicting himself. “We should get practicing.” He stood up patting his hyung on the back as they started rehearsals. Coming back as a trio with a new album had been a difficult decision by all of them, having got comfortable by being by their own for so long. Added to the fact that Jong Kook had done so well as a solo singer plus with entertainment shows such as Running Man, it had made talking to him comfortably difficult between them – almost an invisible barrier. As a result, the first time recording had resulted in arguments for the first month or so but the more time they spent together, the more they came to overcome their differences.

 

Practice had gone for three hours now, trying avoid amending the choreography too much so that they were still familiar for fans, before they stopped to eat. Jong Kook sat down exhaustedly as he gulped down some water in an attempt to catch his breath and energy. Age had definitely caught up with him despite exercising every day yet something about standing in front of fans whilst he performed reminded him of his younger days. For the 2 hours or slightly more spent on stage, he felt youthful and free.

He was about to call Ji Hyo when Ji Soo, one of their back – up dancers, sat next to him. She was a recent graduate from a dance school, having been recommended to Jong Kook’s company by her former teacher. A beautiful dancer – the typical beautiful girl that everyone on campus liked – she modelled in her spare time and had the figure that boys wanted to have with and girls envied.

“Oppa, can you help me with my necklace?” A high-pitched voice, one of those girls that knew they were popular, only pressing for more attention.

“Oh sure.” He got up, and thought it strange that the necklace came off so easily and handed it to her. “Here you go Ji Soo – yah.”

“You know my name?” It had caught her by surprise of course – singers very rarely knew the names of all back – up dancers especially so if they were purely there for a short time as the case of Ji Soo for she’d go back to start her masters degree in dance to become a teacher.

“Don’t tell the others, I don’t know theirs.” He winked, whispering before excusing himself to phone Ji Hyo.

It was merely three rings before Ji Hyo picked up the phone. “Hey Ji Hyo – yah?”

“Yeah oppa?”

“You know it’s coming up to Christmas and all…”

“Yes?”

“Can you send me a picture of yourself so I can show Santa what I want for Christmas?”

“Sheesh oppa… you sound like Suk Jin oppa. Although, even if there was no gravity on earth I’d still fall for you.” She chuckled.

“Ooh nice. Where’d you get that from?”

“My ex used it on me.” It was a simple statement, shrugging her shoulders.

Jong Kook’s face quickly fell into a frown. “I take it back, it’s not nice.”

Ji Hyo merely chuckled – of course Jong Kook would get jealous over that.

“I’ll get to yours around 8 so it’s up to you if you want to eat first.” He whispered, conscious of prying ears and eyes in the practice room. He had lived almost half his life as a singer without having any big dating scandals and he intended to keep it that way for now. The entertainment industry being toxic as it was with people going all out for their own gain, relationships were almost sacred. Particularly so with Ji Hyo, their relationship was already complicated enough due to schedules without other people being involved and he was content with that as it was.

“Why are you whispering?” She had inquired, sitting down on the sofa with a cup of coffee.

“I’m in the practice room.” Mikey got his attention from across the room, signalling for Jong Kook to go out with him and Jung Nam for a cup of coffee from the Starbucks across the street. “Ahhh, I’ve got to go Ji Hyo – yah.”

“I see. I’ll see you later Sparta.”

“See you later beautiful.” A faint smile lingered on his lips at the phone call before Jong Kook forced himself to get going towards the café.

“You seem happy hyung?” Mikey inquired.

“Huh?”

“You seem happier these days is all.”

“I guess I am Mikey – ah.” A vague smile was left on Jong Kook’s face, leaving Mikey and Jung Nam to shrug at each other, as they entered the café opposite the building in which they practiced.

 

It had finally hit half 7 when they had finished and Jong Kook tried his best to rush out to see his girlfriend. He had got to the door when Ji Soo had caught up to him.

“Oppa!”
“Hey Ji Soo – yah.”
“Are you going home?”
“Yeah – long day and all that. I just want to relax.” A small, tired laugh escaped his lips as he brushed his fingers through his hair. His body was exhausted and all he wanted to do was get home to Ji Hyo and sleep. He had another half – day of rehearsals tomorrow with the live band before going to the airport to meet the rest of the members.

“Why don’t we go out and get dinner to relax oppa?” Her fingers twiddled with her hair, wrapping round her finger, as she consciously bit the corner of her lip, batting her eyelashes.

“Ahhh I’d love to Ji Soo – yah, but I’ve already got plans.”

“Oh? You have a girlfriend.” The disappointment had been evident, accompanied by a slouch in her shoulders and the subtle pout with her lips. Of course, Jong Kook had been oblivious.

“No, just with my parents.” An obvious, outright lie. He had spent long enough mustering up the courage to ask Ji Hyo out, it would be too complicated for other people knowing their relationship status.

“Oh. I like that you’re a family man oppa.”

“Oh sure – I mean they did so much for me so it makes sense for me to do stuff in return.”

“I’d love to have a boyfriend that is a family man.” A slight purr from the back of matched the small, half a step towards him leaving hardly any gap between them. From the other side of the room Mikey had nudged Gap Jin who cocked his head. Gap Jin had been sure that Jong Kook and Ji Hyo were dating or at least were flirting from the amount of times he had to pick Jong Kook up in Ilsan – conveniently being 5 minutes from her house. Or if that hadn’t set off his intuition it was the amount of times he had overheard Jong Kook talking to her on the phone in his sweet voice to the point that it was sickening, the times when he’d drop him off at some restaurant only to see Ji Hyo being dropped off or the times when she was dating her ex – boyfriend that he would be unbelievably grumpy – in essence it was torture.

“I’m sure you’ll have boys lining up for you. You’re a beautiful young woman, intelligent and kind.”

“Honestly you’re my ide-“

“Hyung! We’ve got to go. Traffic’s going to start to pile up.”

“Yeah! See you tomorrow Ji Soo – yah.”


“She’s creepy.” Was the first thing that Gap Jin muttered when they got to the elevator.

“Huh?” He looked up from texting Ji Hyo that he was about to leave.
“She’s creepy.”

“Who? Ji Soo?”
“Yeah. I don’t have a good feeling about her is all hyung.”

“Nahhh she’s fine Gap Jin – ah. Don’t sweat it.” He patted his back as they got into the car.

“If you’re sure hyung.” He shrugged and started to drive, knowing better than to carry on the conversation. He silenced his thoughts but he’d have to keep an eye on her. Being his manager for over 10 years, he had come across sasaengs or when fans got too close and personal – rare but it had happened from time to time – and it had been his job to protect him.

 

The darkness of the apartment had hit Jong Kook first with the only light source being from the candles set on the table shortly followed by the soft jazz music that flowed through the room as he entered Ji Hyo’s apartment, a bottle of wine in his left hand and flowers in the other.

“Hey! How was practice?” A quick peck on his cheek made Jong Kook smile as he poured the glasses of wine. It wasn’t a magnificent feast like the time she cooked breakfast but it still satisfied Jong Kook for a home – cooked meal after a long day at work.

“Eh, long.” He had of course thought about mentioning Ji Soo, but he had decided against it for he decided that it wasn’t important and the chances of Ji Hyo meeting her was slim.

“Well, hopefully this will help.” She had sat down and both started eating.

“How was your day anyway?”
“Eh, I packed and then cleaned my apartment.”

“I thought you were going through your lines?”
“I fell asleep.” A sheepish smile graced her lips as Jong Kook chuckled, shaking his head knowingly.

 

The two had finished soon after and they worked harmoniously with Jong Kook doing the dishes and Ji Hyo making tea for them both. Moving to the couch, Ji Hyo leaned back onto Jong Kook’s chest as his hand moved to massage her shoulders, almost a reflex. Spending the day apart by Jong Kook’s schedule after spending so much time together, made each other crave each other. It was more than each other’s body, the touch that sent electricity through them, the moans that they’d have to supress from peppered kisses and wandering hands, it was just being with each other. The security of being round each other to unwind after the stresses of the day did something magical to the two. The hum of the TV, a random entertainment show, was almost a white noise to them as they focused on each other.

“You know Ji Hyo – yah I missed you today.” His fingers moved from her shoulders to draw patterns on her hips which found its way under the hem of her t – shirt.

“Mmm, I missed you too.”

“I have to go soon.” It was a fact.
“I’ll see you tomorrow though at the airport.” It was nonchalant from Ji Hyo, opposite to the warmth she was providing Jong Kook.

“This is me not so subtly saying that I’d much rather wake up next to you than go to practice tomorrow killjoy.”

“You’re such a romantic.”

“Just for you of course.”

“Obviously, I’d dump you if you cheated.” It was a half – serious, half – joking threat. She had always had a strong philosophy regarding infidelity, having experienced it in the past – cheating once she could forgive but twice would mean that it was out of someone’s own will and she couldn’t forgive that.

“I’d never even think about it.” It was a small promise in not so many words as he kissed the top of her forehead, yet it was still a promise. Jong Kook had finally got Ji Hyo after nearly 8 years, he sure as hell wasn’t going to let her go now by some stupid fling with excuses that he was drunk (not that he drunk much) or that he couldn’t control his damn hormones. “You know it’s weird.”
“What is?”
“How we came together.”

“What about it?”

“How we were insanely jealous of each other’s respective partners.” A soft chuckle left him.

“I wasn’t so much jealous of your ex-“

“Soo Jin?” A glare from Ji Hyo as soon as her name was muttered told him to shut up.

“-that , I was more so disappointed. But we’ve already talked about that 2 nights ago and came to an understanding so we’ll leave it at that.”

“I was jealous of when you dated your ex – CEO you know.”

“Oh I knew.”
“You did? Why didn’t you tell me about it?”
“How could I not know oppa?” She let out a laugh. “You were practically seething if he came to pick me up after Running Man, you got me coffee every time we had filming which you never used to do, you even tried to flirt with one of the writers’ friends who was visiting, you-“

“I get the idea.” Jong Kook nodded, cutting her off in embarrassment at his actions simultaneous to the way he dug his chin into the crook of her neck. He hadn’t considered himself to be a man who got jealous easily, but his actions proved to contradict him. More like his feelings would lead to actions that would contradict him. Damn it.

“I know you were pissed at the ex who cheated on me.” It was no surprise that Ji Hyo felt Jong Kook’s muscles tighten ever so slightly at the mention of him although it took a mere kiss on his flexed arms for him to calm down.  

“I was beyond pissed Ji Hyo – yah.”

“I know… I heard you.”

“You what?” He had almost choked on his tea upon hearing that for he had lived years with the knowledge that his monologue in the car was exactly for himself.

“The time when you drove me home after I met with you, Ha Ha oppa and Kwang Soo. I heard you.”

 

Soft snores plus deep sighs were the only sounds that filled the car as Jong Kook drove Ji Hyo home. Caught standstill at a traffic light indicating roadworks, he looked across at the sleeping figure in the passenger seat – her swollen eyes finally got some rest from the crying – as he let out a deep sigh. He had well and truly ed up – reiterated by the conversation with Jong Kook earlier that day. He had screwed over with one woman for the sake of acting professional with his almost taboo feelings. Thinking back to the time when he had first realised his feelings for Ji Hyo, Jong Kook remembered being disgusted. The idea that someone whom he had grown close to after seeing each other for a day per week with strictly platonic feelings was the very woman that he was falling for seemed taboo. The idea of the woman that was deemed to be more of a younger sister to him by others and even said by his own mouth in interviews being the woman that he fell head over heels for was something almost unimaginable. It seemed as if something was wrong with him – how on earth could he be in love with someone who was like a sister to him? Let alone someone who had confided in some of the most personal things with him and he with her. Running his hand through his hair coupled with a frustrated groan, he bit his lip at the realisation that he was so damn screwed for falling for the wrong woman.

“This is a mess Ji Hyo – yah. I wish I could say that I could help but…” A deep sigh left his mouth as his hands gripped the steering wheel in a vice – like grip to the point that his knuckles turned white at the image of Ji Hyo crying in front of him earlier, with the fact that he couldn’t do anything to help angering him even more. “Even as your colleague and as your brother I can’t do much for you neither could I dream of doing anything as your lover as much as I want to. You’re special to me, more so than the others arguably, and I’m sorry that I can’t comfort you with what the SOB did to you.” Jong Kook watched the sleeping figure next to him, softly brushing a rogue piece of her hair away from her face startling at the sudden movement from Ji Hyo stirring. “I wish I could take your pain from you Ji Hyo – yah… simply because I… I think that I-“ A solid beep from the car behind him, a taxi probably carrying a drunk person, put his sense back in place as he hurriedly started the car again.

 

“But that was—”

“Almost 4 years ago yes.”

Jong Kook eyes widened, as much as they could anyway, as he tried to comprehend the fact that she knew. He could practically feel the smirk that rode Ji Hyo’s lips as he gently turned her round so that they were facing each other. If the smirk wasn’t evident, the small glint in Ji Hyo’s eyes were sure signs that she was enjoying seeing Jong Kook so flustered.

“And you didn’t say anything?”
“Wouldn’t have done each other any good.” A simple shrug from Ji Hyo still made Jong Kook dumbfounded.

“Wouldn’t have don-“ He stuttered, flabbergasted which Ji Hyo bit her lips at, finding it amusing. “I would have asked you out much earlier!”

“It’s better late than never oppa.” For Ji Hyo the issue simple – it had happened in the past and as long as they were together now it was ok. But her other half didn’t think so. In fact, it was not simple at all.

“Then this is your fault!”
“What is?”

“We could have been together years ago if you had told me!”
“What am I meant to say? “Hey oppa but when you were driving me back home when I was drunk I overheard your monologue”? That’s illogical!”
“It would have at least meant that we would be dating much earlier! As in a good few years earlier!”

“You’re impossible.” Ji Hyo chuckled, shaking her head.

“Still your fault we got together so late.” The small mumble tickled her ear as Jong Kook leaned in to plat a chaste kiss below her ear. It sent a small shiver down her spine – not necessarily in a ual way but from the sheer touch of him on her skin. It was these random moments when her body reacted like this, savouring the warmth of him finally being hers so to speak. The knowledge that she – hopefully – would be the only woman he did it to sent a course of electricity through her body.

“Let’s agree to disagree on that.” A small kiss left on the top of Jong Kook’s nose ended the conversation as his fingers dug into her sides. It wasn’t enough to cause her pain or hurt her, nor was it insinuating anything ual, but it was his own gentle and wordless reminder that he would be there for her. Whether it be as her boyfriend or simply as a co – worker and friend, he’d be there as a way of compensating for the times in the past where he hadn’t been there, or the times when he had unintentionally caused it.

An hour and a half later and the conversation between the couple, spanning from complaining that the music had gotten fast over the years whilst practising for his upcoming Turbo concerts (Ji Hyo had suggested that he had simply gotten older but Jong Kook had insisted that it was the music) to Ji Hyo almost breaking into a song at the prospect of being able to sleep for as long as she wants when her drama was wrapped up by the end of the week, had fully drowned out the chatter from the TV. Over 2 hours of suppressing her yawn had apparently taken its toll on Ji Hyo as it escaped eventually, much to Jong Kook’s amusement.

“I should get going.” Jong Kook stretched his body, as Ji Hyo checked the time – 1200.

“Didn’t think it was this late.”

“You know what they say – time flies.”

“We seem to have a habit of finishing up late.” Jong Kook spoke amusedly, a nod to the time Jong Kook spent the night at her some mere weeks ago.

“Eh, the best things happen at night.” He winked, gathering up his coat.
“Get some rest Sparta. You’ve got morning practice before our flight and no doubt we’ll have filming as soon as we arrive.” The grumbling tone could be heard beneath the care. They had reached the door now yet hands were still around Ji Hyo’s waist and Jong Kook’s chest, neither wanting to break their held eye contact, drinking in each other’s presence – a day (although not even a full 24 hours) apart did that to them.

“I should go.” Jong Kook was the first to whisper.

“I know.” Yet again their hands remained stationary but clung to each other tighter, an amused chuckled from Jong Kook at Ji Hyo tightening her hands unconsciously on his chest. He had imagined many things that he’d do with Ji Hyo years ago, but Ji Hyo being clingy wasn’t necessarily one of them although he would be the first to admit that it was a side that he greatly welcomed.

“You’ve got to let go of me Ji Hyo – yah.” He gently coaxed. “Trust me when I say that I’d rather stay the night and wake up next to you too.”

“Mmm… I guess I’ll see you at the airport tomorrow.” She leaned up to kiss him before stepping back down.

“See you tomorrow beautiful.” It was a soft whisper, proof that he was like a gentle lamb in front of Ji Hyo yet his on – screen character was that of a tiger.

“Be careful at practice Sparta.”  

Ji Hyo watched Jong Kook’s retreating back and was about to go back in when a voice stopped her.

“Ji Hyo – yah!”

“Did you forget something oppa?”
“This.” He whispered before he leaned in and kissed her, threading his hands into the hair at the nape of her neck. Tongues fought for dominance as hands roamed each other’s body. Jong Kook bit Ji Hyo’s lower lip gently as she moaned as a primal want for Jong Kook kicked in. She was the first one to move her hip when Jong Kook stopped, wearing a smirk. Ji Hyo moaned at the sudden loss of contact as Jong Kook kissed her forehead as Ji Hyo breathed heavily and her lips, biting her lower lip softly when he pulled away to meet her eyes again.

“Night beautiful.” He smiled, dropping another kiss to her forehead as he turned towards the elevator. “And one more thing.”
“Yes?”
“We could have been together years ago if-“
“Oh shush. Go!” She pushed him yet her smile reached her eyes as she rolled her eyes yet the grin wouldn’t leave her face even after she shut the door to her apartment. Everything at that moment was perfect to her – she had the sense of security, happiness and warmth from Jong Kook all simultaneously.

She was in the bath, listening to some soft jazz music in the background reading over her script when she got a text, from Jong Kook no doubt.

Are you sleeping?

No, I’m having a bath and reading over my script.

So you’re ?

Ji Hyo rolled her eyes. If I was over there I’d hit you with a pillow.

So abusive.

Says the person that hits Kwang Soo on – screen.

Eh he deserves it most of the time the cocky rascal. Ji Hyo could practically imagine Jong Kook saying it next to her, making her chuckle. She, along with the rest of the members, had been the one to witness Jong Kook and Kwang Soo’s developing friendship. They argued on – screen , mostly instigated on Kwang Soo’s part, but anyone could see how they close they were. Kwang Soo would call for the simplest of things to girl advice (although he had got reprimanded by Jae Suk that he asked Jong Kook for relationship advice of all things) and was someone who was viewed as a close dongsaeng to Jong Kook.

What time do you have to get to the studio tomorrow?

0800 -.-

You should sleep then oppa

I will if you go to sleep first – you could barely keep your eyes open earlier

I could! I was just doing some exercise like you tell me to that’s all

Exercise huh?

Yeah – eyelid exercise.

I should incorporate that into my workout ;)

It burns more calories that you’d imagine!

ㅋㅋㅋ Hey Ji Hyo – yah, thank you for agreeing to be my girlfriend. I know that I’m lacking in a lot of ways but I’ll try my best to be the best man for you. I know that I’m stubborn but I’ll try and compromise if needed as long as it’s not a king size meal from a fast – food restaurant. I can be talkative (not as bad as Jaesuk – hyung though) but if you want some peace and quiet I’ll shut up and let you lie on my chest whilst we watch some rubbish TV. Point is, I’ll be whoever you want me to be because I truly care for you.

Jongkook tried to will his heart to slow down as he sent the message as he couldn’t wipe the stupid grin off his face. Just thinking about her would put a smile to his face, lighting up the darkest of days.

“Man you really need to stop smiling so much.” His brother commented as he looked from the door.

“Hyung-“ Jong Kook whined – he really regretted teasing his hyung all those years ago.

“Relax kid, I can tell when someone is in love Jong Kook – ah. I’m going home now. I cooked some stuff for mum and dad to have that should last them the week and I’ll stay home whilst you’re away to keep them company.”

“Thanks hyung.”

“Safe flight Jong Kook – ah.”

“Bye hyung.”

He had checked over the set list and such for his Turbo concerts when he looked at the time and frowned. It had been a good 10 minutes since he had sent his message yet still no message from Ji Hyo. She couldn’t be sleeping… right?

I guess you’re sleeping heh. See you tomorrow beautiful and sweet dreams. Jong Kook sent chuckling. The amount of sleep Ji Hyo needed would never cease to surprise him before he got comfortable under the covers as he let sleep succumb him.

 

-----------------------------------

Word Count: 4973

A/N: Urm hello? Anyone there? I apologise for the lack of updates – being ill, personal problems -.- - but I found some time to write this chapter. :D

I’ll be going on holiday soon and depending on wifi in the hotel I’ll update. If not I’ll do it when I get back home.

Thank you again for being so patient and the support