Chapter 1

Delaying the Inevitable

Eun Hee pulled the chair out that was in front of the vanity. In her right hand, she had a hairbrush, while in the left, was a blow dryer to dry her sister’s wet hair. ‘Sit.’ She demanded and then added, ‘Oh, and toes up so Da Hye can get started on those.’ Eun Ji sighed and knew it was no use in arguing. Instead she smiled and crossed her arms over her stomach. In a few hours, she would be married. She grinned and Eun Hee squealed, jumping up ut the obvious reason for her infectious grin that was plastered across her face.

About two and a half hours later, Eun Hee and Da Hye were finally done using Eun Ji as a human Barbie doll. She stood from the vanity, and she had to admit, they did a fabulous job. She looked over at the wardrobe, where the white zip-up bag hung. She walked over to it pulled it out, laying it down on the bed. With the girl’s help, she got it on quickly, and examined herself one last time in the mirror.

She was ready.

 

“And cut. That’s a wrap for today everyone. Thank you!” The director yelled whilst coordi’s rushed beside the actresses.

 

Ji Hyo smiled as her cast members bid fall to her as she followed her coordi to get rid of the makeup that was plastered on her face countless times that day. Her manager stood behind her, talking to her about his date plans that he had with his girlfriend as she smiled and nodded along when she felt her phone ring in her pocket.

“Hello?” She answered, voice hinting at her tiredness from filming at night the day before and the whole day today.

“Ji Hyo- yah. Are you free to speak?” The voice answered, making Ji Hyo smile unconsciously.

“Jong Kook oppa*! Yes, I’ve just finished filming today. What can I do for you?”

“Nothing much, I was just wondering if you’ve eaten dinner yet?”

“Not yet. I was going to eat when I get home. Why?”

“I was just wondering if you wanted to grab a bite? I’ve just finished my workout for today and on my way home now.”

“Just us two?” Ji – Hyo asked, hoping that her enthusiasm hadn’t been too apparent over the phone. Her manager and her coordi, however, had witnessed the conversation and proceeded to snicker, knowing the true feelings of their actress even if the said actress hadn’t been aware herself.

“Is that a problem?” Jong Kook asked nervously, wondering if he had crossed the boundaries or made his co – worker feel uncomfortable. “We’ve done it before haven’t we?”

“No problem at all oppa! In fact that’s great. I’m really famished and eating without company gets a bit repetitive.”

“Are you saying that you enjoy my company Ji Hyo – yah?” Jong Kook teased, although he knew that he was guilty of feeling the same.

“Don’t flatter yourself oppa. All other company that I have are busy.” Ji Hyo scoffed.

“Oh? So if I don’t join you, you’d be fine?” Jong Kook continued to tease his dongsaeng.

“No it’s fine oppa! You’re great company!” Ji Hyo hurriedly replied.

Jong Kook chuckled at his teasing with Ji Hyo. “Ok, I’ll meet you at the chicken restaurant that we went to two weeks ago. Come quick Ji Hyo - yah otherwise I’m going to eat everything!”

“You’d better not oppa! I’ll be there as quick as I can.” She smiled as she ended the call, met with looks from her coordi. “What?”

Her coordi chuckled knowingly as she continued to wipe Ji Hyo’s makeup off.

“Oh nothing. Just the fact that you’re smiling like some deranged person after speaking to Muscle Man.” Ji Hyo’s manager answered from the back nonchalantly as he scrolled through his phone, deliberately ignoring Ji Hyo’s gaze.

“Of course I would be happy speaking to my oppa friend.” Ji Hyo shrugged in response, denying the implication that her manager made.

“Not a smile like that unni*. It’s like the one that my cousin has whenever she speaks about her fiancée.” Ji Hyo’s coordi quipped.

“Well Jong Kook oppa isn’t my fiancée.”

“You don’t have to be engaged to be in love.”

“I’m not. Oppa’s just my co – worker on Running Man and a good friend.” Ji Hyo huffed, standing up from her chair as she hugged her coordi in thanks.

“Can you drop me off at the restaurant please?” Ji Hyo asked her manager, putting on her coat, smiling when she saw her manager nod, excited at the prospect of his actress having a said date with the man that made her smile like an idiot at the most inappropriate times.

 

The drive towards the restaurant for Ji Hyo was filled with a cocktail of emotions – happiness, excitement, nervousness – that Ji Hyo dismissed. As she looked outside the window, she recalled how her relationship with Jong Kook had evolved from an awkward encounter on Family Outing to becoming the good friends with similar yet complimenting personalities that they were today. Ji Hyo smiled unconsciously when she felt her phone vibrate in her hand. After checking the caller ID she answered.

“Kwang Soo – yah!” Ji Hyo replied happily as she adjusted her position in her chair, reclining it as she leant backwards.

“Noona! How are you?”

“10 hour filming isn’t great after night filming yesterday.” Ji Hyo chuckled dryly, half complaining, half-jokingly. It was true that she was tired and she suspected that after Running Man’s filming tomorrow, she would be even more tired but she knew that it was the choice she took as an actress.

On the other end of the phone, Kwang Soo let out a small sigh.  She admired the work ethic of his noona, but hated seeing how hard she worked herself despite his protests to rest slightly. “You’re going to rest now right noona?”

“No, I’m meeting Jong Kook oppa for dinner then I’ll go home.”

“Jong Kook hyung*?” Kwang Soo asked.

“Yeah. Why?”

“Nothing.” Kwang Soo answered too quickly. However, unbeknown to Ji Hyo it was something. In fact, to Kwang Soo it was something important that shed a light into his hyung’s and noona’s relationship. Truth be told, Kwang Soo had asked all his Running Man hyungs to dinner but Jong Kook had politely declined, stating that he had to record for his new album. So, naturally, he had been surprised when his noona had said that she would have dinner with Jong Kook hyung and naturally he began to question their relationship internally. However, he knew if he ever verbalised his thoughts, that he would get hit by Jong Kook hyung or worse… Ji Hyo noona.

“Sure?” Ji Hyo inquired, curious as to why Kwang Soo answered too quickly but was then quiet.

“It’s nothing much but I invited hyung to dinner tonight but he said that he was working on his album.”

“Maybe he’s just finished now? You know how often he works until late. I’m sure he’s got a reasonable explanation for not going to your dinner Kwang Soo. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Or if not you can ask him tomorrow.”

“I’m sure it’s nothing noona. Enjoy dinner and rest noona okay?” Kwang Soo changed the topic quickly.

“Of course Kwang Soo. No betrayal ok?” Ji Hyo chuckled.

“When have I ever?”

Ji Hyo was about to answer when she heard Kwang Soo speak again. “Actually don’t answer that.” Ji Hyo chuckled in response before ending the call. 

 

--------------------------------

Word Count - 1266

A/N - Oppa - an older brother (female - male)

Unni - an older sister (female - female)

Hyung - older brother (male - male)

If anyone is still confused, Eun Hee is a character from the drama that Ji Hyo is filming. Eun Hee is played by Soo Kyung and is sisters with Eun Ji (played by Ji Hyo). Eun Ji is getting married to Hong Joo (played by Dong Wook)